• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Zero and there's not a lot of benefit to gaming from SSD anyway.
tenor.gif

With the sheer complexity of games on the rise not to mention visual fidelity, I think that an HDD will feel like a bottleneck more than ever in Next-Gen consoles...
Alas, I don't see them having SSDs in consoles... yet.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
none.

But at least this time round we should have a faster interface and be able to install one ourselves if we are that way inclined

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
They will have SSDs. They don't have to make financial sense now, they have to make financial sense in 2020 (with a good trend downwards post 2020 since cost reductions happen all the time afterwards anyhow; burn a little bit at first, cost reduce and save during the largest portion of the lifecycle etc)

The more real-time lighting used in games means the less pre-baked junk needs to be included for each time of day setting so hopefully we get some size savings there at least for some games.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think you're underestimating how much HDs will also drop in price. A 1TB drive is little over $40 today. By the time 1TB SSDs reach $50, we'll be able to get 8 or 10TB HDs for that price.

What if they stop making hard drives in mass quantity. Remember Microsoft was paying a silly amount for the paltry hard drive in the original Xbox because nobody was making that size any more. Unlikely a swing to SSD will be enough to raise hard drive prices any time soon but it could happen.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
There is a huge difference with SSD in a console VS PC today.
There is simply no support for its fast reading speeds yet.
That's why it's so nice to play on PC

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are size, power consumption differences between a hard drive and SSD. Maybe that factors into the cost too if you can make a smaller console, maybe have the SSD storage on the motherboard, I dunno. That may be a price advantage that narrows the gap along with a price reduction in SSD storage.

half.jpg

Hard drive on the right.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
SSD is obviously zero... But I have pretty good hopes for an optane-lite like solution. Something like 32gb up to 64gb of soldered cache storage.

If not, I hope that at least support from both hardware and devs will be better in regards to drives with faster reads.

Jun 18, 2018
SSD is obviously zero... But I have pretty good hopes for an optane-lite like solution. Something like 32gb up to 64gb of soldered cache storage.

If not, I hope that at least support from both hardware and devs will be better in regards to drives with faster reads.

An SSD cache is much more realistic than optane.

For those of you that dont believe we'll get SSD-only storage, what are your thoughts on a hybrid?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
When full disc installs are required and AAA games are creeping up on 100GB, I think 1TB is the bare minimum acceptable for storage space next gen PS/XB consoles. That would add another $100 to the price tag, at least. $200-300 if they go with the much more preferable 2TB.

Hybrid might happen.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'll guess not a full SSD, but probably a hybrid such as the Firecuda (1TB / 8GB flash, 2 TB / 16GB of flash).

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you're underestimating how much HDs will also drop in price. A 1TB drive is little over $40 today. By the time 1TB SSDs reach $50, we'll be able to get 8 or 10TB HDs for that price.

A hard drive is a mechanical drive with parts required where it cant go lower than certain price

1TB is more than enough for standard edition
They can create 2TB version if they wanted too and ask more for it

This is the console that will be active at 2020-2030

SSD by default will be cheaper

QLC Already dropped cost by around half at manufacture cost

+ retailer cost =/= Mass production cost for sony

You can buy 2TB SSD MICRON
Which is not QLC (and its not low budget SSD but actually quite good) for 240$ *Today* and they are making a profit out of it

1TB SSD QLC for 60-70$ at retailer at 2020 is pretty much given.

People overestimate SSDs prices herr

Pleasant!

Nov 1, 2017
I'm fine with ye olde slow 5400rpm drives if we're still given the option to replace them internally or add on to them externally with faster ssds. The BoM of a console just doesn't have room for a price increase of an ssd over a spinning hd.

That said, I do hope future systems take full advantage of ssd speeds. I have an ssd in my ps4 pro and I sometimes still feel like i'm waiting forever for certain games to load. They're definitely imperfect vs how they work on pc, thus far.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Where are you getting those prices? The best 2TB price I have seen for a reputable vendor was for a crucial 2TB and that was for $300 or so after eBay coupon.

A normal 500gb cost is about $100-150 depending on a sale. Next gen systems won't have anything less then 1TB which is $170-$200 from reputable vendors. Now I would imagine that's going to be quite a bit lower directly from vendors but even $80 to system cost will most likely be unacceptable. Remember that they will want to hit $399 most likely.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but you can still increase the capacity keeping the same price.

It doesnt matter
Do you see sony selling ps4 with 4TB HD? they exist

There is no reason to sell 8-10TB even if they existed

2 years on console life they can drop higher SSDs too properly at lower cost too if they wanted. This us where the tech is going

Western digital just closed down 2 big hard drive manufacturers because demand is going down

Samsung/micron/intel is creating more and more SSDs as we apeak duo higher demands for nand tech overall

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It doesnt matter
Do you see sony selling ps4 with 4TB HD? they exist

There is no reason to sell 8-10TB even if they existed

2 years on console life they can drop higher SSDs too properly at lower cost too if they wanted. This us where the tech is going

Western digital just closed down 2 big hard drive manufacturers because demand is going down

Samsung/micron/intel is creating more and more SSDs as we apeak duo higher demands for nand tech overall
I just think 2 years aren't going to be enough for the appropriate pricing. However by mid-gen refresh in say 2023, it should be doable.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are you getting those prices? The best 2TB price I have seen for a reputable vendor
was for a crucial 2TB and that was for $300 or so after eBay coupon.

A normal 500gb cost is about $100-150 depending on a sale. Next gen systems won't have anything less then 1TB which is $170-$200 from reputable vendors. Now I would imagine that's going to be quite a bit lower directly from vendors but even $80 to system cost will most likely be unacceptable. Remember that they will want to hit $399 most likely.

Dude 70$ gets you decent 500GB SSD already
And this is retailer cost (aka making a profit)
Mass production ssds for a company for sony WITH upcoming QLC will properly cost them 30$ max

reputable vendor?
Amazon 500gb 70$~
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6d3eee007a647120INT&smid=A1UVTGP6WV0D1P&psc=1

Look up micron SSD 1100
2TB costs 240$ right now online from multiple reliable stores

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think 2 years aren't going to be enough for the appropriate pricing. However by mid-gen refresh in say 2023, it should be doable.

Yeah
Wont happen

Imagine the reviews

XBOX two XXXXX Game
Loading 3sec

Ps5 version
Loadong 15sec

Reason: we wanna save 10$
Good business move

Not using SSD is death sentance

The argument that ssd not enough because games will be bigger is awful

Bigger games need faster speed

Every website will report and compare loading speeds if one tried to pull this off

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yeah
Wont happen

Imagine the reviews

XBOX two XXXXX Game
Loading 3sec

Ps5 version
Loadong 15sec

Reason: we wanna save 10$
Good business move

Not using SSD is death sentance

The argument that ssd not enough because games will be bigger is awful

Bigger games need faster speed

Every website will report and compare loading speeds if one tried to pull this off
It all depends on price difference. And no, not using an SSD is absolutely not a death sentence.

If Xbone 2 came out for $499 with 1TB SSD and PS5 came out for $399 or $449 with 2TB HD, you think it would be a death sentence for PS5?

That's negatory.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inland is not a reputable drive vendor. Micron certainly is though.

Pny
Crucial
Kington
Adata
Cost around 80 and less sometimes you csn look up prices at amazon newegg etc

Rememebr this is retailer cost and NOT QLC
Qlc is confirmed and coming at 2018 and will cost much less but they have less endurance (amound of writing data for a lifetime on ssd) (doesnt matter for consoles) most consoles are read mainly not a workstation)

Otherwise no one would buy the less superior qlc ssd if they were not much cheaper

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
QLC is still questionable from longetivity perspective. Can they even last say 6-7 years under heavy use? Of course with consoles it's mostly reads but still.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Must just be the games you play - there is a pretty massive difference of opening up Doom 2016 on an SSD or 7200 RPM, or natural selection 2, or - god forbid something like Star Citizen which requires an SSD to function properly.
It's game dependent of course but even with Doom the difference isn't something which I'd be willing to pay for. I mean, it takes what, 15-20 seconds on an HDD to load the level. Hardly anything to worry about. And in most games loading is limited to the speed of data processing more than actual storage throughput - shader compilation and assets creation / preparation take a lot more time than actual data loading.

With the sheer complexity of games on the rise not to mention visual fidelity, I think that an HDD will feel like a bottleneck more than ever in Next-Gen consoles...
Sheer complexity and visual fidelity don't directly translate into the amounts of data which needs to be loaded. It does however translate into the amount of processing a game must perform on the loaded data before it can be used - and no SSD will ever help you with this.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
QLC is still questionable from longetivity perspective. Can they even last say 6-7 years under heavy use? Of course with consoles it's mostly reads but still.

Intel already released some
Micron and samsung months away from mass production (samsung plan is to sell cheap 2tb and 4tb qlc drives too)

Qlc is enough to install thousands of AAA games before any effect hits them this is backed by the specs under warranties so if samung intel etc cant back this up they are in it for loss of billions of $ for refunds etc

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean we already have current generation hardware that has 100% internal flash memory. Don't know why so many people in here think there's no chance of it happening, especially with the advent of streaming.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Dude 70$ gets you decent 500GB SSD already
And this is retailer cost (aka making a profit)
Mass production ssds for a company for sony WITH upcoming QLC will properly cost them 30$ max

reputable vendor?
Amazon 500gb 70$~
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6d3eee007a647120INT&smid=A1UVTGP6WV0D1P&psc=1

Look up micron SSD 1100
2TB costs 240$ right now online from multiple reliable stores

Still waaaay to expensive / the price gap is still too big. Don't forget that Sony and MS surely do no thave to pay retail prices for their HDDs as well...

Let's say Sony could get a 1 TB SSD for just $10 more than a classic HDD. That $10 premium already includes savings resulting from the smaller form factor of a SSD. So, Sony wants to build how many PS5 in the upcoming years? Obviously something in the 80-120mn ballpark. Multiply that number with $10 and you know exactly why the chances of SSD happening anytime soon in a mainstream SKU is Zero.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't expect it. However, I hope that both Sony and Microsoft allow the users to replace the hard drive. I'm ok with externals, but I'd gladly use a internal SSD for the OS and games I play the most or suck with loading times.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Doubt it considering their prices. Having a hybrid HDD would be a nice step up though or AMD making their counterpart of Intel's Optane Memory to allow HDD's to scale read/write speeds of an SSD

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still waaaay to expensive / the price gap is still too big. Don't forget that Sony and MS surely do no thave to pay retail prices for their HDDs as well...

Let's say Sony could get a 1 TB SSD for just $10 more than a classic HDD. That $10 premium already includes savings resulting from the smaller form factor of a SSD. So, Sony wants to build how many PS5 in the upcoming years? Obviously something in the 80-120mn ballpark. Multiply that number with $10 and you know exactly why the chances of SSD happening anytime soon in a mainstream SKU is Zero.

As i said before
Xbox game SSD loading 3sec
PS5 Game HD loading 15sec. Pop in etc

Unleash the reviews

Sony : we wanted to save 10$ durning the first 2 years of the 10years life cycle of PS5

hard drives will never be cheaper after certain price duo the fact theu have so many parts and a complicated mech drive compared to SSD

And there wont be even much of a diffrence in price

The question should be
1TB SSD vs 2/4TB HD because if you look up HD prices now barely a diffrence between 320/500/1Tb for the low end ones with 5400RPM

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I personally don't expect it. However, I hope that both Sony and Microsoft allow the users to replace the hard drive. I'm ok with externals, but I'd gladly use a internal SSD for the OS and games I play the most or suck with loading times.
Sony already allows this with a PS4. I have a 1TB SSD internal in my Pro and 4TB spinning disk external. You can move applications within PS4 OS.

Notably if you are patching a game on external, the patch will download internally first then has to unpack and copy down to external drive which is a bit of a slow process.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony already allows this with a PS4. I have a 1TB SSD internal in my Pro and 4TB spinning disk external. You can move applications within PS4 OS.

Notably if you are patching a game on external, the patch will download internally first then has to unpack and copy down to external drive which is a bit of a slow process.

oh I'm aware of the PS4. I currently have a 500GB 850 EVO in my PS4 Pro. I was referring to next-gen!

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wii U was truly next-gen. The only 8th generation console with a ssd ritgh out of the gate. Now what, haters?

But abut the other competitor, microsoft could have one in their cloud based sku, if ever comes to happen.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Leave us change our own HDD a la PlayStation is good enough for he. I'd rather the SSD budget put towards beefing up cpu/gpu/ram.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
QLC has reduced the cost per GB of SSDs to $0.20 per gig, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, especially if there's improvements in QLC endurance/longevity.
Pricing, Endurance, and Warranty (MSRP)

• 512GB - $100 ($0.20/GB) 100TBW
  • 1TB - $200 ($0.20/GB) 200TBW
  • 2TB - $400 ($0.20/GB) 200TBW
The Intel SSD 660p ships with a 5-year warranty, so they are clearly confident in the longevity of their QLC implementation. Endurance figures are lower than what we've seen for TLC parts, but 100TBW on a 512GB part comes to over 50GB per day, every day (including weekends), for five years. Considering a full Windows + Office + driver reinstall results in less than 25GB of writes, that should not be an issue. Professional/power users requiring higher write endurance should opt for the 1TB model (>100GB/day) or look into the 760p or other TLC / MLC products, but 100-200TBW is just fine for the vast majority of users/gamers out there.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see in a few years the Pro/Elite versions of next gen consoles having like a 2TB SSD, but even today many laptop computers still dont come with an SSD so I dont see the next gen of consoles including them by default. Possibly if next gen is like 3 years away still but I sure hope not.

I imagine we'll get 1TB regular 5400RPM mechanical drives as the default.

Oct 25, 2017
No way.

The casual gamer still cares about space.

How is Sony gonna advertise that?

"Now with 100gb of storage!"

They'd be slaughtered by Xbox.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
QLC has reduced the cost per GB of SSDs to $0.20 per gig, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, especially if there's improvements in QLC endurance/longevity.

Sure but that's still like 5x the price per GB compared to a HDD. I mean MS and Sony are probably spending $20-$30 on the HDDs currently being used in their consoles. I don't think they are going to be able to get an SSD with enough space that falls in that price range in the near future.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but that's still like 5x the price per GB compared to a HDD. I mean MS and Sony are probably spending $20-$30 on the HDDs currently being used in their consoles. I don't think they are going to be able to get an SSD with enough space that falls in that price range in the near future.

Read my posts here

Retailer amazon etc selling half TB SSD for 70$ with profits

Qlc will reduce price further (Confimred fact. Ignore msrp of brand new ssd + intel tax + profit margins)

Next gen consoles 2 years away so price will drop even more

They will keep these consoles for 10 years in the market not 1 year

1TB SSD will cost around the same or 10$ more MAX 1 year after console relesse

People who keep saying ZER0 chance have no idea what is the current prices and upcoming SSD tech that will reduce the price further + ignores the fact that HDs have a minimum price requirement duo the fact it has a lot of parts+ mech drive which SSDs doesnt suffer from

SSDs is 100% will be there for next gen

Much faster install (shit already takes forever on xbox and games expected to be bigger)
Faster data helps with pop in + bigger assets streaming
Faster OS
Much Lower loading times
Less energy used

Vs saving 10$
Its a no brainer

At PS4 Launch SSDs were not an option (ssd were expensive as hell even for 120GB drives) and clearly not enough space

I bet my dick on it that next gen will have Ssd

thesaint08

Apr 23, 2018

Exactly. Too many are focusing on what an SSD might cost in a few years time.
What matters is the relative cost to a regular HDD.

If a console manufacturer expects to sell a modest 50 million consoles, at $10 per console, they are giving away half a billion dollars. Average Joe isn't interested in shaving 5 seconds off his loading time for Black Ops 6.

I bet my dick on it that next gen will have Ssd

Do. Not. Want.

Last edited: