• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Chairman of Iowa Democratic Party resigns after caucus catastrophe

Iowa Democratic Party Chairman Troy Price resigned on Wednesday, according to a statement from the party.

"The fact is that Democrats deserved better than what happened on caucus night," he wrote in a letter to members of the State Central Committee. "As chair of this party, I am deeply sorry for what happened and bear the responsibility for any failures on behalf of the Iowa Democratic Party.
While it is my desire to stay in this role and see this process through to completion, I do believe it is time for the Iowa Democratic Party to begin looking forward, and my presence in my current role makes that more difficult."
Please end caucusing.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
That seems appropriate. Need to live up to a high standard if you want to lead the first-in-the-nation caucus for the primaries.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Caucusing was the mistake.

Using an app just exposed it.

If anything positive comes out of this, this whole system will be scrapped for a more traditional voting system.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Good.

We also need to end caucuses. I'm so glad Washington canned that shit and I can just mail in a vote for the primary this year like everything else in the state. Every single state should have mail-in voting to be more inclusive. We've got 18 whole days to get our voting done here.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Good.

If they wanna keep the "2nd choice" thing, bring in Ranked-choice voting! Simpler, and keeps part of the spirit of a caucus!

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest caucusing is a cool process. Just think about how much worse this could have been if people hadn't been there physically. Its probably the most unriggable voting process.

They just screwed up by not thinking through the tech support of the app. Boomers were literally getting stuck because they couldn't install the third party .apk file.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
now it's high time to abolish Caucuses and shuffle the first states

To be honest caucusing is a cool process. Just think about how much worse this could have been if people hadn't been there physically. Its probably the most unriggable voting process.

They just screwed up by not thinking through the tech support of the app. Boomers were literally getting stuck because they couldn't install the third party .apk file.
Caucasus are anti-democratic and discriminate towards the disabled, the introverts

when I go vote, I like being alone. I would hate getting huddle into a mass of humans for 3 hours and getting bullied into voting for another candidate

Caucuses are easy to rig, via bullying

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Tom Perez retired please.

Also NV caucus is going to be just as big as a shitshow. Quite possibly worse they're doing the exact same things.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
From an outsider's perpspective it appears to be very undemocratic because if you don't have the time or are physically unable to spend several hours in a gym you cannot participate. It's also easily riggable, the vote isn't secret and peer pressure and/or veiled threats are powerful tools.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

A cool process that goes completely against the voting process. Voting is supposed to be anoymous and not subject to public peer pressure. No matter what, when you're in that booth by yourself, no one can tell you how to vote and no one can tell how you voted if you don't want them too. It does nothing but reward the loudest people with the most time on their hands, which are never the ones that end up voting in real elections.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
From an outsider's perpspective it appears to be very undemocratic because if you don't have the time or are physically unable to spend several hours in a gym you cannot participate. It's also easily riggable, the vote isn't secret and peer pressure and/or veiled threats are powerful tools.
It appears that way from an insiders perspective too. They just exist because the people who go to them are generally people who like to be politically active, hence they enjoy the debate and banter and don't really want it to change, and, since they're active, they're also usually the ones in positions of power to decide to have caucuses every year.

I don't really think it would be that hard to push for an Iowa primary though.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Caucuses are the most undemocratic thing ever. Need to be abolished and replaced with traditional voting.