• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OT2 Subtitle Nominations

• Second Course

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 21 Jump Plus Street

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • The Future Rules

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • He just like me fr

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • My Chainsaw Academia

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even know what to think anymore. It was interesting that the cross panel was next to Makima with her hand out

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So I was talking to a friend and we were wondering. Denji's feelings for Makima, genuine or fabricated?

I'm in camp genuine, there's too much humanity in Denji's feelings towards her for them to just being a "haha all according to my mind power": she's his first motherly figure in a long time, the one that saved him, gave him a roof and food, a purpose in life, some emotional development and is at the centre of his relationships network. And on top of that Makima emotionally manipulates him via special attentions and physical temptation. But I don't think Denji loves Makima in the traditional sense, and he probably doesn't realize it himself. To him she is absolutely a saviour, even almost motherly, figure, but I think Reze was more close to what we consider traditional love.
Then you have to wonder why Makima gives attentions to Denji, nurtures him and seduces him, if she could cast an order she wouldn't bother with all of that. Makes you wonder if her powers don't work on Denji (maybe there is some opposing nature in their devils?), or maybe Denji has to open Pochita's door by his own volition, and she is just seducing him until pushing him to do it voluntarily, maybe by making him think that opening the door could idk, save her.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So I was talking to a friend and we were wondering. Denji's feelings for Makima, genuine or fabricated? [...]
I'm pretty sure there is a giant line of people infatuated with Makima in the CM universe, and lots of them probably are powerful, well-adjusted adults. In this respect Denji must've been Makima's easiest catch ever, no need to use her power, she barely had to bother at all.

I bet the real twist will come from Makima actually feeling something for him which literally no one probably expects at this point.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the most interesting part of this chapter was the bit about how all human history has been empowering Makima, and that's why she's as strong as she is.

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if hybrids like Denji, Reze and Quanxi are immune to Makima's control, hence she had the latter two killed.
Denji is a big idiot, she doesn't have to do much to get him on her side.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
So Makima is a devil huh. Makes a lot of sense.

i don't really get the part with the gun devil though...was that a flashback or in the present? Why did they show it? And is that who Makima was talking to when she said to come?

is Makima supposed to be like God?

E: also what does she mean as a bluff? I'm so confused lol

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So Makima is a devil huh. Makes a lot of sense.

i don't really get the part with the gun devil though...was that a flashback or in the present? Why did they show it? And is that who Makima was talking to when she said to come?

is Makima supposed to be like God?

E: also what does she mean as a bluff? I'm so confused lol

Gun devil is the present from my understanding. Last ditch effort to take her out. I assumed her bluff was saying that the gun devil was defeated and hoping the spy network would believe it.

On another front I just realized, if the US had the gun devil all along, the shooting that trigger the fear of guns and gave it strength was likely government instigated to strengthen their ace in the whole. Along with the first massive attack of the gun devil.

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
The early parts of the manga maybe, but now all the gun fear mongering was more about a Devil that could get in the way of Makima controlling the world.

Also though a strong comment on us reliance on guns to both resolve problems and "prepare to counter domination". Im sure a strategy that will fail. Also a comment that the fear of guns proliferated more guns, which actually is the case here. Fear is what pushes the gun industry and in turn leads to gun deaths.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soo strange that this is in Shounen Jump lol. Lots of kids just getting shot down here too now.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
I really really love this one. Really looking forward each week to the new chapter.

It wouldn't surprise me if hybrids like Denji, Reze and Quanxi are immune to Makima's control, hence she had the latter two killed.
Denji is a big idiot, she doesn't have to do much to get him on her side.

Would make sense! Weapons have been and are still used by humanity to break free from certain chains. Or at least humanity was made to believe that this is the case. I guess a lot of people would even say that possessing a weapon could give you freedom. Would fit perfectly to me. And yes, would also explain why Makima didn't even bother controlling Quanxi and just straight up decapitated her. Same goes to killing Reze. Denji is just stupid enough to fall for her it seems. Which is giving Makima an advantage for sure. Maybe Makima can control and manipulate everything around the events that result or lead into hybrids fighting a certain enemy (or even another hybrid), but she can't control them herself.

Last edited:

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
8cdf53be8ab2555861258ebe83d4dfae.jpg

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the new chapter is out in the wild again and hoo boy.

Makima seemingly gets the abilities of any person/devil under her command, including any devil that a person is contracted with.

I'm guessing now that Denji 100% isn't under her power and follows her willingly like a lot of folks suspected, which is going to be important later on as the Chainsaw Devil appears to be significant.

Oct 25, 2017
Literal seconds. We're dealing with beings so powerful that their actions are only perceived in a few seconds. It feels way too soon for endgame.
Keep in mind, this is only like 28% of the Gun Devil. The Gun Devil that America has. We'll probably deal with 100% Gun Devil later on.
*looks up Antemortem* I see... wait is Aki dead now?! His other arm is missing too. Did Makima somehow bring the other three back just to do this? Or is it all a visual metaphor.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literal seconds. We're dealing with beings so powerful that their actions are only perceived in a few seconds. It feels way too soon for endgame.
Keep in mind, this is only like 28% of the Gun Devil. The Gun Devil that America has. We'll probably deal with 100% Gun Devil later on.
*looks up Antemortem* I see... wait is Aki dead now?! His other arm is missing too. Did Makima somehow bring the other three back just to do this? Or is it all a visual metaphor.
Aki hasn't have their foots either

Aki can't catch a break lol

Awesome chapter as usual

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Imagine Translator and Editor seeing this for first time.
RIP. Seriously. I really appreciate their effort always but in this case 100% extra.

Chapter was amazing, and the depiction of the destruction caused by the gun was insane. I do appreciate Fujimoto not going out of his way through several 'filler' episodes and instead delving into the meat and potatoes this fast after the Santa arc. I seriously doubt this is the climax of the story but we're definitely reaching one of the big turning points.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Just how strong are the primal fear devils? Makima could only match the Darkness devil for a few seconds and everyone in the world are scared shitless from her.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The way the Gun Devil appearance is handled reminds me a lot of Evangelion: just a silent appearance, with the only comments made in some sort of report, and this massive creature passing by and causing a magnitude of damages, really feels like an Angel.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Just how strong are the primal fear devils? Makima could only match the Darkness devil for a few seconds and everyone in the world are scared shitless from her.

After seeing the stuff Makima is capable of (and that she also fucked up the Darkness Devil even though it hurt her too) I don't think it's a case of "how strong are they if she's this powerful". I think it's a "she's as strong as them if not stronger". Makima seems like one of the most powerful devils they've shown, period.

Oct 25, 2017
So Aki is dead now. His name is listed among the deceased on Page 10-11 when Makima begins her ability activation and dies for the 29th time.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like she might have limited resources to expend when fighting strong devils and probably dosen't want to waste it on powerful devils that will generally stay in their own domain.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So Aki is dead now. His name is listed among the deceased on Page 10-11 when Makima begins her ability activation and dies for the 29th time.
Yet the future devil said he'd be killed by Denji along with Power, and that it was inevitable. So either offering himself to Makima really did change the (unchangeable?) future or there's something more we still don't know about, like him getting revived somehow by Makima's power.

EDIT- Also, it's pretty fucked but he did go down fighting the gun, at least he got something even if it was something he didn't truly give a shit about anymore.

OP
OP
Midramble

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, if there is anything like a God in this manga I'm still banking on it being makima. Halos and command over anything that gives her its heart in life and death. This slow drip towards infinite misery... also she can use fiends indefinitely it seems (multiple uses of spider). I wonder if she has Halloween and bomb as well then.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's just something about the Gun Devil's advance, can't quite explain it. It's equal parts awe-inspiring and horrifying. I don't remember the last time I saw something like that in a manga.

3:18:21
-Bullet through the head of every adult male within a kilometer of the gun devil
-Bullet through the head of every child within 1.5 kilometers

3:18:24 (THREE SECONDS LATER)
-Bullet through the heart of EVERY LIVING THING born in every month aside from April and July within a kilometer.

So if you're not a male, 13 years or older, and were born in April or July, congrats, if you were within range you still survived the Gun Devil's assault

Equally insane that the events of the Gun Devil's assault occurred over a period of 10 SECONDS.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Well.... I'm caught up. Huh. So yeah things have gone to complete shit now. We End of Eva now folks. Everything is fucked lmao