• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I let the junior members take the picture?

• Yes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Laminate it, and frame it then give it to them gift wrapped for shits and giggles.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
Mar 7, 2020
USA
For those that don't know, pretty much every military, and Federal Agency have a chain of command wall, that goes from the President, down to the local command's CO. I am in charge of the admin department at my unit, and I also maintain the CoC wall as well. Some of the Junior enlisted have asked if they can get Trump, and his admin's picture after I take them down. I asked why, they said they wanted them. I'm pretty sure they are going to add the pictures to the "wall of shame/dart board" in their break room. I personally don't care what they do with it, but our unit is getting inspected in March, so they could get in trouble for that wall, since it can be considered hazing. So should I let them take the pictures, and warn them to hide it when the inspection happens, or just let them figure it out on their own? Normally what I do with old pictures, is I shred them as soon as they are removed.

For clarification, I am an NCO on the Command staff.

and this is an example of what the CoC wall is like.
y0hwfJf.jpg

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
According to that picture, no one is in charge.

Typical.

I'd let them have the pic, but remind them of the hazing thing and that if they're going to deface the picture, they might rough up cohesion with Trump supporters that may be among them. That or I'd just shred the pic, burn the pieces, and piss on the ashes in my own private time and sidestep any future problems.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd let them have the pic as long as you wouldn't get any blowback for what they do with it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't. You don't know the political leanings of the people inspecting you. Trump cultists are easily offended. Heck, one of the juniors might be a Trump cultist and try to report it.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dont give the picture. Hard right over the easy wrong.

Fun fact, when I originally went through PLDC (Primary Leadership Course) my battle buddy was a ranger from a ranger battalion. During our end of course "inspection" he coined the commandant as he was inspecting us.

hilarity ensues...and by hilarity, I mean the ass chewing of the century and questions of letting the ranger pass the course lol.

Inspections are a pain but are serious business.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Some of the Junior enlisted have asked if they can get Trump, and his admin's picture after I take them down. I asked why, they said they wanted them.

For clarification, I am an NCO on the Command staff.

Once Trump's no longer president, there's no longer any duty to show him or his administration any courtesies under the UCMJ. And until he's officially a candidate for public office (again), the DoD instructions that implement Hatch Act-like prohibitions on advocating for a candidate's success or failure in an election won't apply. In all likelihood, you're just going to shred or burn pictures and replace them with Biden's when the new administration has official photos.

That said, your troops are on the verge of doing something stupid.

Dispose of the pictures however you normally dispose of them. Don't let your junior enlisted do something that could inadvertently affect them, whether via the inspection or the CO or XO just wandering around. Explain why, and be sure to highlight that their political speech is protected and that they can (in all sincerity) have whatever beliefs they want. Add that they can also download a copy of an official photo online if they really want. But definitely police that break room, for their sake.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm going to put on my O-4 JAG hat here.

Once Trump's no longer president, there's no longer any duty to show him or his administration any courtesies under the UCMJ. And until he's officially a candidate for public office (again), the DoD instructions that implement Hatch Act-like prohibitions on advocating for a candidate's success or failure in an election won't apply. In all likelihood, you're just going to shred or burn pictures and replace them with Biden's when the new administration has official photos.

That said, your shipmates are on the verge of doing something stupid.

Dispose of the pictures however you normally dispose of them. Don't let your junior enlisted do something that could inadvertently affect them, whether via the inspection or the CO or XO just wandering around. Explain why, and be sure to highlight that their political speech is protected and that they can (in all sincerity) have whatever beliefs they want. Add that they can also download a copy of an official photo online if they really want. But definitely police that break room, for their sake.
This right here. Even if there's nothing in the UCMJ that would be relevant here, it could be a problem if they do something stupid with it and the wrong person sees it.
Better to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
purplemonkey111
Mar 7, 2020
USA
So I'll tell them to get rid of the wall of shame, because I don't want them to get in trouble during the inspection, and I'll just shred the Trump admin's picture once I swap them out for the Biden administration.