• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
A 43"/144Hz/HDR option which is likely to be a lot cheaper than these 32" Gsync ones:

VA panel is a let down though.

The ASUS XG438Q already was awful: BGR subpixels for blurrier text, bad overshoot and black smearing issues. The Acer CG7 uses the same panel as the Asus PG43UQ and doesn't seem to be much better. The HDR1000 is a joke when it has very limited local dimming capabilities. Best case scenario is that AUO has improved the panel or Asus has managed to improve control of it for no overshoot and good enough dark transition times.

On paper this is a really sweet monitor but if you consider the LG 48" OLED is better in pretty much every metric (if they don't fuck it up and make it 60 Hz only or some bullshit) and not absurdly larger this might turn out to be yet another disappointing monitor.

It does have a picture by picture mode which I like, it's really unfortunate that no TVs offer that when they have the size and resolution that would be perfect for splitting the screen 2 or even 4 ways.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
They can fuck right off what those prices. Won't even look in that direction until that stuff is below $800.

Dec 10, 2019
Acer revealed a 55" 4K 120Hz HDR VRR G-Sync Adaptive Sync OLED Gaming Monitor with a 0.5 ms response time.

I think it looks great.

Predator_CG552K_right-facing_575px.jpg

I'd say getting an LG C9 would still he better if you don't mind not having Display Port 1.4 ports
Seems to be great for competitive console gaming.
But I don't see 55' ever used on a desk. That's just not happening.
Not the first time we see 55' Monitors

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony should show what the PS5 will look like because those dev kit pictures are illustrating every single ps5 news article and I think common people might end up believing ps5 is going to look like shit compared to the series X.
Why would this matter if we're so far away from launch?

People will surely know what it clearly looks like by launch

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
On paper this is a really sweet monitor but if you consider the LG 48" OLED is better in pretty much every metric (if they don't fuck it up and make it 60 Hz only or some bullshit) and not absurdly larger this might turn out to be yet another disappointing monitor.
Sure, 48" is too large for a desktop usage though IMO. 4K PC monitor sweet spot is in-between 32" and 43". Or at ~25" with 200% scaling.
Still, there's a chance that this one will be better than previously released 43" VA models.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, 48" is too large for a desktop usage though IMO. 4K PC monitor sweet spot is in-between 32" and 43". Or at ~25" with 200% scaling.
Still, there's a chance that this one will be better than previously released 43" VA models.

just run it at a lower resolution With no scaling or use it as an ultra wide. It'll still be cheaper than any smaller sized premium PC monitor

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

For larger displays you just need to account for it by putting it further back. Monitor arm, wall mount, floor stands, deep desks...

While I would love a 40-43" OLED or even a flagship tier 40-43" LCD TV, nobody seems to want to do that so it's either overpriced desktop monitors or slightly too large TVs.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be great for competitive console gaming.
But I don't see 55' ever used on a desk. That's just not happening.
Not the first time we see 55' Monitors

And not even that. It has no 2.1 HDMI ports. Has three 2.0 ports & 2 Display ports. It actually be pretty lousy for next gen consoles.

And I'm sure it'll be rediculiously expensive. Gaming monitor manufacturers have been used to fat margins for too long. If you really wanted an OLED for a monitor, just buy the smaller 48 inch LG that's coming and use the massive savings (you know you'll save) on hardware upgrades (like a new GPU with HDMI 2.1).

Dec 10, 2019
And not even that. It has no 2.1 HDMI ports. Has three 2.0 ports & 2 Display ports. It actually be pretty lousy for next gen consoles.

And I'm sure it'll be rediculiously expensive. Gaming monitor manufacturers have been used to fat margins for too long. If you really wanted an OLED for a monitor, just buy the smaller 48 inch LG that's coming and use the massive savings (you know you'll save) on hardware upgrades (like a new GPU with HDMI 2.1).
That's a big downside.
Any chance for next gen consoles with DP? Because pro players don't use sound via HDMI anyways.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
That's a big downside.
Any chance for next gen consoles with DP? Because pro players don't use sound via HDMI anyways.

I just saw it's 3000 dollars, too.

I doubt it. It's just too niche. I'm seeing the press release for the Vizio OLED and they're crowing about the HDMI 2.1 features for consoles. It's going to automatically detect when video games are being played, engage in all the goodies like VRR and ultra-low lag mode. For consoles, I don't see a single real benefit of DP over HDMI (aside from maybe audio people with specific needs).

What about TVs with optical out? Does that just not work well enough for people?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
That's a big downside.

They will 100% not have Displayport. Just no point as they will be mostly connected to HDMI TVs and HDMI 2.1 has more than enough bandwidth.

These gaming OLEDs are pointless products when they are so ridiculously priced. They are the same panels you would find in LG OLED TVs with more limits on brightness to avoid possible burn-in, hence no HDR support. By the time they come to market their only benefit, 4K @ 120 Hz over DP is gone as HDMI 2.1 GPUs will be out.

Want a 55" OLED monitor? Buy a LG C9.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Lol that 292 inch Wall TV is insane. Probably will make you blind after a couple of years staring into that miniature sun.

That's where the brightness controls come in!

To be honest I would be really excited if they actually manage to make a consumer version of this where if you want a bigger screen or some weirdo aspect ratio you can just buy more panel segments and hook them together instead of buying another display. That's the most futuristic aspect of this.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they have any OLED panel factories that make anything less than 55

The rumor mill seems pretty confident a 48 inch is being released this year (even if it's the second half of the year). I have no use for a new TV until GPUs with HDMI 2.1 are available anyways.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I would be really excited if they actually manage to make a consumer version of this where if you want a bigger screen or some weirdo aspect ratio you can just buy more panel segments and hook them together instead of buying another display. That's the most futuristic aspect of this.

It's cool tech, but price is not so cool.

MSRP seems to be $24k per module + $3k for controller (you need multiple depending on size, it seems).

That 292" setup would be around $1.4 million (without mounting hardware) and using max 11kwh of electricity.

It's safe to say it still years away from being available for consumers.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
So I guess there's not much new on the motion resolution front.

They never really go over Motion or birghtness in press events. Wait for people like David at CNET, FlatpanelsHD and other outlets for more details on what they have "improved"

But yes if it was a major improvement I would imagine they would announce it. Most likely modest improvements like the x9 did over x8

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Are 4k 120/144Hz monitors gonna get cheaper anytime soon with HDMI 2.1 in the picture? $3600 seems ridiculous.