• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And it will only get worse. Let's see how Disney will censor the movie poster of the next Star Wars movie in china.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
China has the whole world shook. This is honestly disgusting how Western companies are bowing down to an authoritarian government.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine people with some power (like leaders of multinational companies) had spines, would band together and oppose anti human rights behaviour instead of profiting off of it. Humanity could be so cool.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine people with some power (like leaders of multinational companies) had spines, would band together and oppose anti human rights behaviour instead of profiting off of it. Humanity could be so cool.

Humanity would also not have any iPhones, Playstations or XBoxes. That is the reason why they are all cowards. No one speaks up if it impacts their standard of living directly.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean you can ignore China and still be very profitable. There is no "period" on this discussion.
Economic growth does not have an end where a CEO would say "this is good enough"
china is a gigantic market and if you can be dominant in such a market...(I think it is horrible..but that's sadly what is happening. With every company. Disney and all it's franchises too. Just think of doctor strange and tibet, or how they remove black characters from movie posters in China)

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
People don't realize how much power China has over us companies and American media. Why do you think we have yet to see any major LGBT characters in marvel movies? China. Games will start to avoid discussing China all together. People don't seem to understand that there are literally billions of dollars at stack here. It's not pocket change. It's why these company shit their pants when they get on the news about political issues there. If they are banned, they lose incredible amount of money. Enough that executives will lose positions, wealth and power. It explains their disparate behavior. It's not excusable but news flash: people care about money more then principle.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
"Guys please, please don't upset China, we like their money."

To everyone who said that western companies engagement with China would lead to more freedom of expression there etc? Yeah no.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It's like a frog put in water that's then slowly heated up.

you don't realize what's happening until it's too late.

That is how I feel about China. A lurking giant whose regressive human rights policies and political ideals are now bleeding into democracies and people's everyday lives, halfway around the world from the source.

This news sucks. Everyone's silence is just capitulating to China and is a statement on its own. Sad times and at the rate things seem to be moving I'll have to block/delete/cancel half of my life when I find out something insidious is lurking behind it all.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Humanity would also not have any iPhones, Playstations or XBoxes. That is the reason why they are all cowards. No one speaks up if it impacts their standard of living directly.

No I think its ok if we pay more for iphones , playstations and xboxes for shit like this to stop.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It's like a frog put in water that's then slowly heated up.

you don't realize what's happening until it's too late.

That is how I feel about China. A lurking giant whose regressive human rights policies and political ideals are now bleeding into democracies and people's everyday lives, halfway around the world from the source.

This news sucks. Everyone's silence is just capitulating to China and is a statement on its own. Sad times and at the rate things seem to be moving I'll have to block/delete/cancel half of my life when I find out something insidious is lurking behind it all.

I agree. The stuff with movies, games and media in general is just testing the waters it seems. Next it will be no stories in anything depicting china in a negative light, then no stories about oppressive totalitarian regimes and so on. Get the claws in deep enough and you can do whatever the fuck you want and DARE anyone to speak out...hell we are already at that point!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I agree. The stuff with movies, games and media in general is just testing the waters it seems. Next it will be no stories in anything depicting china in a negative light, then no stories about oppressive totalitarian regimes and so on. Get the claws in deep enough and you can do whatever the fuck you want and DARE anyone to speak out...hell we are already at that point!

Terifying, seriously.
I am ready for a new planet now!!!

Aug 10, 2019
They're willing to sell our right to free speech in order to line their pockets. We are literally watching capitalism bowing to communism.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a good call for the ESL to make this statement, everybody knows that the Internet responds well to being told what to do. This will definitely reduce the chances of someone trolling an ESL stream.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How would that help here?
Yeah, that isn't really going to address things, because their interests are going to be aligned with the business's on thing like this. Environmental topics run into this issue where industry unions will push back internally with the Dems against environmentalists and you have to do a lot of mediation.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why the OP left out the kinda most important part of the statement?
[...] an ESL spokesperson said that "Mr Reichert's internal message on Slack was a reminder to ESL employees about the general social media policies that have been in place for many years; that we do not use the ESL's brand or platform for personal political statements."

The statement said that employees are "free to harbor personal views on private social media accounts."
This thread sounds like it's forbidden for ESL employees to talk about the HK situation - which is incorrect.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
My point is, how far are you willing to go to sell games in China? Just to give a hyperbolic example, what if in order to sell games in China, you have to perform a satanic ritual publicly where you're naked executives have to sacrifice a live goat and drink it's blood. Would Blizzard do that? I would guess they wouldn't, right?

So by acknowledging that Blizzard executives wouldn't do that, that would mean there is a line, somewhere. My question is, where is that line? I think China is taking such an extreme stance here that it's not worth pursuing, if they're going to get so offended by something one of your FANS said (Note, not blizzard) then at some point you have to ask yourself "Is this worth it?"

I'm just asking how far these corporations are willing to go to appease such an incredibly sensitive government who uses the nuclear option at the slightest of offenses.

The problem is money. China is a huge market and they know it. Eventually their middle class will be bigger than than the US, Canada and EU combined.
When you say the other 6 billion, you have to remember, 1b+ live in India alone and they are still a very poor country, almost 500 millon in latam with their ever reducing middle class, Africa a continent still facing bigger issues than games, tho it is growing in every aspect at a great speed, and the middle east that is still fighting wars from the previous centuries.

Honestly their markets are US, Can, South East Asia, Russia, EU, Australia and NZ vs China. Nobody wants to lose any market.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean it's not like capitalism isn't often heavily invested in oppressive regimes. Hell look at tech investing in Nazi Germany with IBM. This is part of a longstanding pattern and in this case is a product of Chinese state capitalism knowing how to exploit a increasingly global market. That being said there's a bit of a double standard where people are criticizing investment in India whose regime is absolutely killing more people.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reason why the OP left out the kinda most important part of the statement?

This thread sounds like it's forbidden for ESL employees to talk about the HK situation - which is incorrect.
so you also think the 6 month ban for a hearthstone player wo said something political during his work as a hearthstone player was the correct choice, because "it says so in the rules"?
b/c that's the same reasoning blizzard used.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People don't realize how much power China has over us companies and American media. Why do you think we have yet to see any major LGBT characters in marvel movies? China. Games will start to avoid discussing China all together. People don't seem to understand that there are literally billions of dollars at stack here. It's not pocket change. It's why these company shit their pants when they get on the news about political issues there. If they are banned, they lose incredible amount of money. Enough that executives will lose positions, wealth and power. It explains their disparate behavior. It's not excusable but news flash: people care about money more then principle.
Err can you explain the Marvel bit to me?

OP
OP
Bufbaf

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

There's multiple reasons.
- I quoted the first paragraph - as commonly done - so people go visit the site
- I don't agree at all with this being the "kinda most important part" of the statement
- Of course they would say this, and it does in no way detract from any open or between-the-lines threats said earlier.
- It's, like Sesuadra said, a "but the rules!" argument, which the statement itselfs nullifies by making itself _very_ political in the first place
- No one actually expects any company to explicitely and openly disallow personal statements on personal accounts. Not even Blizzard did this and kept their wording very close to the tournament and its rulings (which doesn't make it any less abhorrent).

I'm sorry, this to me looks like a dragged-in point of discussion nobody really has, so yeah, it's not in the OP. However, it's plainly in the link I gave within the OP. I hope this clears things up.

Deleted member 8166

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Err can you explain the Marvel bit to me?
maybe because of this:
"No television drama shall show abnormal sexual relationships and behaviors, such as incest, same-sex relationships, sexual perversion, sexual assault, sexual abuse, sexual violence, and so on."
I mean disney also censors black actors on their star wars posters in china.
variety.com

‘Star Wars’ China Poster Sparks Controversy After Shrinking John Boyega’s Character

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” fans are menaced by the Chinese poster for the upcoming sci-fi epic. The poster has sparked controversy online over stylistic changes, one of which result…

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or in other words: "if you exercise your right of free speech regarding human rights abuse by a country from which we make significant money I'll fucking fire you".
What these companies are doing is nothing short of punishing their employees (and in Blizzard's case competitors) for exercising their rights when it comes to free speech, and that should be fucking illegal. People should be free to exercise their rights without having to worry about their employer punishing them for it.

Free Speech does not mean you are free from the consequences of it. It just means you can't be prosecuted for it. You can be fired for it.
The solution is mass disobedience/walkout and for gamers to punish through various means the orgs that are acting like this.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think it's inappropriate to keep events focused on the games or competition.

That's the key though. It's about focus, not about not upsetting China.

That's why what Blizzard did crossed the line. The punishments and withholding the winnings was absurd. A political statement at the end of a tournament wouldn't have been as big of a deal but they made it one. Again, that means it wasn't about focus but pandering.

No one should be suspended or punished for saying fuck Trump or fuck racism or equality for all. Yes, even the last one is a political statement if you're a racist. What about if someone says more women should be in stem. Suspended?

The idea that you can take politics out of anything is absurd.

Again. Focus is fine, saying no politics and trying to censor things isn't

Insomnium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so you also think the 6 month ban for a hearthstone player wo said something political during his work as a hearthstone player was the correct choice, because "it says so in the rules"?
b/c that's the same reasoning blizzard used.
Different issue all together. There is a reason why people have to qualify their statement as "something something this is my personal view and not representative of xyz company". Without the later part of the statement, it seems like ESL is forbidding its employees from engaging political discussion all together which is not true. A large organization employed many people who can have different view points, and matter of fact is, such political statement can and will affect the company economic health, which can affect its employees as well. You can't expect everyone to be okay with their income to be affected just because you have certain belief which they might not share. To me that's just selfish.

Even now regarding Hong Kong protest, I admired the protesters for the effort to go against the Extradition Law but now the situation looks more like rioting to me and I can't agree with targeting police's family members as well as threatening police officers life (there was a slashing incident as well as remote bombs in the last few days apparently).