• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Over the past 20 years, I've reviewed thousands of resumes, and despite the vast amount of information available on how to write one, only a shockingly small amount of people do it well.

The most impressive resumes concisely and compellingly illustrate one major message: "This is how I made things better for the companies I worked for." But the one section that gets in the way of this objective is ... well, the "objective" — those few words up at the very top, meant to capture the entirety of a candidate's career ambitions. Instead, they don't really say anything at all.

It's highly outdated and unnecessary. And yet, I still get so many resumes that have one. While it might sound harsh, 90% of the time, I refuse to read through resumes that include an objective.

Do you agree, hiring-ERA?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saying you categorically reject an entire group of people based on [arbitrary thing that does not reflect actual job performance] is stupid

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that objectives are pretty worthless, but disagree with the idea that if a resume contains one, that the resume should be disregarded.

That CEO's activity is one of the many things wrong with hiring practices.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I just started applying for more professional jobs and I've yet to get question or docked for not including it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah I removed it a while ago.

It's like a coverletter for your resume but also in the resume but also different then the cover letter.

It's literally a useless thing to include. Almost any job I have been hired for hasn't even questioned me for not having a objective.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've read online and have been told to not have an objective on my resume.

Sounds good to me. Less bullshit for me to write.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Knowing a candidates career path goals is very useful to the relationship they with have with a company. Why would you ignore that?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
If you're getting so many resumes that you need to make up reasons to weed them out even though you'll be dropping good candidates, then go ahead. Otherwise I don't understand these hiring managers who refuse to look at resumes with objectives, without cover letters, etc. because it seems arbitrary and it's not like the resume writer prefers that resume format.

I dunno, I was at the same job for over a decade so someone passing over my resume because my form is a little outdated irks me.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I have been on multiple hiring committees as a Non HR person, in both public and private and I can tell you 100% "Objective" and "Skill" sections are not worth looking at. Skills can sometimes be worthwhile if they include programs or software they feel they excel in but "Great Listner" type skills listed are wasted paper space. They are just to subjective and could easily of been written by them or someone else.

Edit: Although after reading article I would disqualify someone for having those sections, just don't focus on them

May 24, 2019
You'd hope if they're going "yadda yadda" at the text, they'd at least skip to the work list before chucking it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I removed mine a while ago and just replaced it with a summary. I figured someone skimming resumes might want a one-liner about me.

The problem with resumes is that plenty of people do the whole "if you do this then it goes straight in the trash" thing about resumes, except people all have differing standards about them.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did remove objective from my resume. My objective is to get a job. They know it, I know it, why dress it up with some phony objectives.

Whether or not resumes with an objective deserve to be discarded now...that's another matter.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I don't think "I will unequivocally reject qualified, talented, and highly capable people because they do this one thing I don't like" was the flex he thought it was.

Oct 28, 2017
a07696992ea028db45f68j5jxs.jpg

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Eh, my objective section usually also includes preference on location/starting date. It's relevant info, but I also understand how it's become a dumping ground of hollow platitudes ("I want to find a career that matches my professional & personal ideals - giving me room to grow internally with ample opportunities to challenge myself").

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
yeah this is modern, my ex who is in HR told me about resumes like this and it just looked strange to me, just list exceptional things I did right at the top, like an ad for myself. which is basically what it is, but it just seemed weird to do it like that when it was done differently for decades, with a "proper" introduction and buildup. the problem with that is, of course, that the company you are applying for has also "caught up" and values this kind of resume.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At that level, I guess it makes sense that you don't want to hire people who don't even put in due diligence on what makes a good, modern resume.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Objectives have a purpose in some contexts. When I'm handing out resumes to companies at career fairs and they have multiple positions open to different majors, it's important for me to say "I have X years of experience as a Y and I'm interested in role Z." as a profile summary. This guy sounds like a stiff baby boomer.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Fine but then in the interview dont ask stupid shit like "why do you want to work here?" Well I've always been passionate about not starving to death what the fuck do you think. Goddam corporate america is so arbitrary everything is such a goddam crapshoot.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped with the objective stuff several years back. But, it's also kinda annoying when college grads are submitting a resume tailored by their college that has something considered passé. They just want a job too!

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Objectives are a dumb part of a resume that takes up space and doesn't say anything, but this dude comes off as the typical stuck up prick who enjoys lording power over people.

Resumes are a crapshoot even when done well. You can spruce it up to paint a narrative of how much value you brought to your previous employers, sure, with fancy words and other self-congratulatory shit. Or you could list your skills, qualifications, and responsibilities like an actual prospective employee and not a professional interviewer.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, having been a career fair recruiter myself, resumes that came in WITH a specific relevant objective statement got more impression and attention from me. I could tell who was just tossing a resume at me versus who knew what company and products they were applying to work with based off their objective statement. Why do you want to work for my company? A history of experience doesn't say that per se.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck entitled pieces of shit that discount and discard capable and talented human beings for trivial reasons that have nothing to do with their ability to perform. CEOs are sociopathic garbage.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ok.

Well, we now know what the CEO of *checks notes* "Korn Ferry" is looking for in a resume.

I suspect this is not going to affect my life very much.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Actually maybe just send several resumes in different font types and information in different orders.

No, not you comic sans

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, having been a career fair recruiter myself, resumes that came in WITH a specific relevant objective statement got more impression and attention from me. I could tell who was just tossing a resume at me versus who knew what company and products they were applying to work with based off their objective statement. Why do you want to work for my company? A history of experience doesn't say that per se.
Well, when you are at a career fair, likely with multiple positions on offer. An objective is kind of necessary otherwise you'd be reviewing resumes without any kind of context.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
In all the C.V. training I've had from school and Job Centres etc., the advice has always been to keep things informative but concise. The idea of putting some "Objective" paragraph in seems like a complete waste of space and I've never heard of it, nor seen it whilst being involved in recruiting. Must be a cultural U.S. thing.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes another in the long line of random shit they fixated on so as to not hire people, but hey we're hiring!

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017

Is there really any answer to that question that's not made-up bullshit other than "to make a living"?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's pretty annoying to see so many hot takes about discounting resumes when the expectations are changing so rapidly that only hiring managers are even aware of the trends.

Like, for every person saying "I don't bother looking at resumes that do [outdated thing] there's some article saying "make sure your resume as [outdated thing]"

Like, I get it, employers have the luxury to completely discount resumes based on anecdotal observations made by the people reviewing them.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
In all the C.V. training I've had from school and Job Centres etc., the advice has always been to keep things informative but concise. The idea of putting some "Objective" paragraph in seems like a complete waste of space and I've never heard of it, nor seen it whilst being involved in recruiting. Must be a cultural U.S. thing.
It's a holdover from the 90s when resumes were almost considered an art form.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
The obsession employers have with resumes will never fail to amuse me. Qualifications and certifications I get, and employment history. Society treats a resume like it's the damn Constitution.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really any answer to that question that's not made-up bullshit other than "to make a living"?

It's a lot more relevant of a question when applying for the kinds of things I do - nonprofit work, academia, etc. In those cases you might legitimately be trying to build up a particular skillset, work closely with a particular community, etc.