• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it either. People are willingly advocating for them to not try and make thing better. Not to mention, if you enjoy Pokemon as it is now, is the fear that it being better written is somehow going to make it worse for you?? I legit don't get the resistance.
Liking something doesn't mean we don't want it to get even better. Just don't belittle people saying the stuff they like is actually insulting to kids 🥴

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
This. I will never get the people defending the story telling in Pokemon games.

"It's for the kids!" is frankly insulting to kids, as they'd be capable of understanding a more meaningful story.

Seriously. And even—or rather especially—for fairly young children, a good basic story structure and execution simply works.

They, too, want to be part of an event the game just talked up. Being told 'oh yeah, Leon took care of that' is just not exciting, lmao.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Damn I missed the DP slander I few pages back I would have joined in

Ya'll be nice to me, one day I'll have to deal with the reality that BW2 will get ignored when gen 5 is remade

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
That's exciting, I hope its good! I have a lot of memories with Diamond since it was my first pokemon game. Come to think of it, pokemon diamond/pearl is so expensive nowadays, now its gonna get worse >.>

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
If we were no longer allowed to argue that some story is insultingly bad because other members might wrongfully take that as a personal insult we might as well shut Era down.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If we were no longer allowed to argue that some story is insultingly bad because other members might wrongfully take that as a personal insult we might as well shut Era down.
Seriously, you can discuss any topic you want, but if people wants to have a good discussion then we'll all have to use more meaningful and documented arguments than this.

Otherwise we can all yell in a corner but I doubt it'll be interesting for anyone.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's about having discussions that have a shred of meaning instead of nonsense all day. Saying the games are insulting to even kids is 4chan level debate
It's not 4chan level debate. It's me voicing my deep frustration with the story telling, which I find insultingly bad. Like, I feel it's insulting my intelligence. No good story will make me feel this way.

But frankly, I don't even can muster the motivation to reflect on why it's so bad, so I will just stop here, as I'm afraid I can't engage in meaningful discussion with you.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
it took a third version to be tolerable. that knocks it down a couple of notches despite Platinum being good. lets see what GF bases the remakes on

Diamond and Pearl hold such special places in my heart, the joy they brought and memories I have are great and I still loved be then today. But Platinum definitely brought some much needed changes and improvements over Diamond and Pearl

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 4chan level debate. It's me voicing my deep frustration with the story telling, which I find insultingly bad. Like, I feel it's insulting my intelligence. No good story will make me feel this way.
If it's insulting your intelligence what do you think that says about people who like it? They're not as intelligent as you? I'm sorry but this is 4chan level. You can say it's not personal all you want but people can read between the lines. And if you don't actually mean that there surely are better ways to not infer it unintentionally.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Damn I missed the DP slander I few pages back I would have joined in

Ya'll be nice to me, one day I'll have to deal with the reality that BW2 will get ignored when gen 5 is remade
There's never a bad time to talk about how much Diamond and Pearl suck.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's insulting your intelligence what do you think that says about people who like it? They're not as intelligent as you? I'm sorry but this is 4chan level. You can say it's not personal all you want but people can read between the lines. And if you don't actually mean that there surely are better ways to not infer it unintentionally.
Again, it's my opinion, and I really do feel this way, especially with Sword and Shield. I don't mean to insult other people with my opinion but I can see how it might. I guess deep down I'm angry at myself that I keep coming back to these games expecting them to have grown into something more akin to my tastes and being disappointed every time anew.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Diamond and Pearl hold such special places in my heart, the joy they brought and memories I have are great and I still loved be then today. But Platinum definitely brought some much needed changes and improvements over Diamond and Pearl

Well... Platinum didn't change the battle speed unfortunately :p
Again, it's my opinion, and I really do feel this way, especially with Sword and Shield. I don't mean to insult other people with my opinion but I can see how it might. I guess deep down I'm angry at myself that I keep coming back to these games expecting them to have grown into something more akin to my tastes and being disappointed every time anew.
This is a more constructive way to express how you feel, I am just tired of the discourse on here being just people screaming at one another. Thanks for seeing my point of view.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon is frustrating because there's so much potential in the stories that can be told through the world, and there's just less of that now.

The SwSh DLC wasn't perfect but it was a huge step up in that regard. But what's sad is that this is the type of side content or world building that would have originally been in the critical path once upon a time.

These are RPGs. The story telling and NPC dialogue becoming so basic wouldn't be as noticeable if that wasn't the case.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
They should back-copy TemTem's stamina instead of the non-factor of PP

Replace linear progression of better moves like Water Gun -> Water Pulse -> Surf with strategic decisions about weaker cheaper moves or stronger more expensive moves and how often you are attacking.

And instead of Protect have a guard action that reduces damage instead of cancelling it and gains stamina.

Controversial opinion: they should go back to making each Pokémon's move pool much more limited and instead focus on creating signature moves or signature abilities for each Pokémon in order to encourage players to choose something that might not necessarily have the best stats. As it stands right now there's no reason to choose a bunch of Pokémon because they all learn the same moves as one another and one will just objectively have a better ability or better stats.

I really like some of these ideas and would love more experimentation in the future.

I've also wanted some form of action element in battles since forever. It could be purely cosmetic is well. While you are picking 1 of your 4 moves you can use the right stick to position your Pokemon on the field. Just so everything isn't so static and lifeless. A taunt button!

Maybe all those silly lines, boxes and circle on the Pokemon field actually mean something. Moving your Pokemon this far away could potentially negate a tiny bit of damage from wide area attacks like Surf and Earth Quake. Moving them closer to that center Pokeball diagram circle makes physical attacks add a pinch more damage. And not just pick a spot either but manually control the Pokemon so they are walking, running, floating, or flying into position. Give you a quick and small sense of what it feels like to control the Pokemon though in a very limited way.

I don't know but something in the game to feel like I'm controling something. Along with something that won't make battles look like the most absolute boring ship you'd ever seen in your life.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Mega Evolutions > Gigantamaxing.

Please, Game Freak. That's not too much to ask, is it?
For connectivity reasons, it's highly likely any further games in Gen 8 would have Dynamax/Gigantamax. However, that doesn't preclude the possibility of Mega

I disagree about Megas being better designed personally but to each their own.

I do find it funny, as we were going in to Gen 7 people were insisting/hoping for Mega Evolutions to be removed. Now they are, people are pushing for them to come back

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Truth be told, I didn't really play the games that had mega evolutions. Is this limited to a few select Pokemon or available to all?
46 different Pokémon have Mega Evolutions. It causes an increase in their stats, a different ability and often a change of type

Here's a list of them:

Mega Evolution - Serebii.net

Full details and lists on all Mega Evolutions and Mega Evolved Pokémon & Primal Reversions

If anything it's the most unbalanced out of Megas, Z-Moves and Dynamaxing. That's why Mega Kangaskhan dominated during Gen 6. They gave it to Pokémon already strong, only a handful of rarely used Pokémon became viable due to it. Specifically, Mega Mawile.

Last edited:

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Gigantamax is less gimmicky than mega evolutions and offers much more gameplay value.

I wouldn't mind if both were eliminated but it's absurd how Megas have now become some sort of nostalgic treasure for a lot of gen 8 haters.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything Kaiju, so naturally the Gigantamax/Dynamax mechanic makes me thrilled. I thought Mega evolutions were cool too. I would like both to be implemented wherever possible in the future.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I say it often. With the Pokémon community it's always

This gen sucks
Last gen was not good
2 gens ago was "actually not that bad." and underrated
3 gens ago was the pinnacle of all that is Pokémon
That's kinda how growing up works lol. We are getting old and the kids growing up on the new generations are gonna like what they grew up with more. It's a life cycle.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017

This gen sucks
Last gen was not good

r000dztqqji01.jpg

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That's kinda how growing up works lol. We are getting old and the kids growing up on the new generations are gonna like what they grew up with more. It's a life cycle.
I mean it's still true with people who have been in since the beginning but yeah that's definitely a thing, especially as many of the now adults are starting youtube channels to express these sentiments haha

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Mega Evolution quite a bit, but Dynamax/Gigantamax is just a better mechanic in practice, at least for doubles play. Pretty much makes it so that any one of your six Pokémon can Mega Evolve, rather than just having one designated user. Sure, some Pokémon can take advantage of it better than others — you should never Dynamax, say, Regieleki for example — but having 2-3 viable options rather than 1 option exclusively gives a good amount of variance to matches.

Last edited:

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I found the whole Dynamax thing stupid for a variety of reasons, but the main was just showing how GF is still emulating their standard battling position from the GB era. From the positioning of the trainers, how shrunken down large Pokemon are in normal battles in 3D, it feels claustrophobic on the big screen, as if I'm still on a 3DS with how smushed together everything is. I really hope Gen 9 offers a better battling experience/scaling on a console. Pull the trainers and Pokemon further apart. Utilize all that empty space.

But I've held onto that hope since Gamefreak's jump to 3D and was continually disappointed, so I'll continue to expect them to disappoint.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I would be okay with completely disconnected attack animations for things like beams/projectiles/whatever in exchange for Pokémon being scaled to the correct sizes in battle. I realize Game Freak probably scales them to specific standard body sizes in order to make fairly universal animations. They can still do that and just not have them line up perfectly if they really want. The scaled-down sizes are just so immersion breaking.

As far as the Mega Evolution/Gigantamax thing goes, I really dislike both concepts but they exist now. These are essentially whole new Pokémon as far as the Pokémon Company is concerned, and it's obvious from some of their marketing that Megas will be back at some point. I would rather they bring back Megas, make Gigantamax forms work the same way (use a held item, just make them a more reasonable size) and rework the underlying mechanic. I'd be fine with Megas/Gigantamax forms being a 3-turn only boost with access to a unique move during those 3 turns. That stops Megas from being so ridiculously broken and it allows all existent forms to exist in a single game.

Oct 27, 2017
For connectivity reasons, it's highly likely any further games in Gen 8 would have Dynamax/Gigantamax. However, that doesn't preclude the possibility of Mega

I disagree about Megas being better designed personally but to each their own.

I do find it funny, as we were going in to Gen 7 people were insisting/hoping for Mega Evolutions to be removed. Now they are, people are pushing for them to come back

I personally could do without either. I think GF needs to move away from these temporary battle gimmicks that affect different pokemon differently (as in some have Megas/Giga forms while others don't). They need to move back to mechanics that EVERY pokemon can take advantage of equally.

When you think about it dyna/giga forms are "basically" manually activated Abilities, except because they can be manually activated as opposed to being passive/automatic, they then force your opponents to respond which IMO throws off the strategic balance. It then just becomes "Oh, they transformed? I guess I have to too"

I honestly think the next big strategic move for the battle system will be something involving positioning. All these other gimmicks that last a gen or 2 are nonsensical and clearly not sustainable

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally could do without either. I think GF needs to move away from these temporary battle gimmicks that affect different pokemon differently (as in some have Megas/Giga forms while others don't). They need to move back to mechanics that EVERY pokemon can take advantage of equally.

When you think about it dyna/giga forms are "basically" manually activated Abilities, except because they can be manually activated as opposed to being passive/automatic, they then force your opponents to respond which IMO throws off the strategic balance. It then just becomes "Oh, they transformed? I guess I have to too"

I honestly think the next big strategic move for the battle system will be something involving positioning. All these other gimmicks that last a gen or 2 are nonsensical and clearly not sustainable
I'd say that's what z-crystals are, but they're still nukes you'd give to select pokemon because they can use them better

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that's what z-crystals are, but they're still nukes you'd give to select pokemon because they can use them better
My main point is I don't like gimmicks that are highly situational in battles and aren't equal among all pokemon. Yes you could say abilities are similar, but I think having them be passive and only indirectly manual (as in using a move to activate your ability), but they still feel better integrated and less gimmicky

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Top be fair, Gigantamax is just a slight twist on Dynamax and has barely any different effect, just a different move. No different stats, moves or abilities.

Dynamax, in Doubles anyway, I'd argue is the most balanced of the three. In singles, yeah no they're all awful.

And honestly, no I like these twists. Just different moves that not all Pokémon have isn't the way to change things up each generaton and positioning...I don't agree it'd be good. I didn't like it when Yo-kai did it and I highly doubt I'd like it here. It'd be superfluous

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My main point is I don't like gimmicks that are highly situational in battles and aren't equal among all pokemon. Yes you could say abilities are similar, but I think having them be passive and only indirectly manual (as in using a move to activate your ability), but they still feel better integrated and less gimmicky
the gems from Gen 5 then (which were subsequently removed)

I always argue the Z-Status moves are better choices than the powerful moves.
max moves were this weird mix of z-status and z-attacks. in a way, they didn't make anything new, just shuffled some things around, between z-moves and megas. but I guess that exemplifies the fact that removing stuff like triple battles (and rotation battles I guess) was a dumb move because that's a big ass can of potential that can make battles more (or less) strategic without needing to add pokemon-specific changes like megas/gigantamaxing

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I always argue the Z-Status moves are better choices than the powerful moves.
I miss my Extreme Evoboost doubles team - especially now that I've realized too late I could've made the setup much more reliable. But that's not really what you're referring to, and I agree; there were a lot of interesting Z-Status setups back then.

This gen sucks
Last gen was not good
That's just the way of things when children are a huge part of the target audience. People too young to bother with message boards adore Sword and Shield. I maintain that I always loved Black and White, but I was 12 at the time (and also didn't play a Pokemon game until HeartGold) - though I also never really understood the vitriol towards gen 6 and 7 even if I didn't like them quite as much.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gigantamax is my favorite so far, Z-Moves second place and Megas last. Still like them all but Megas being only for some Pokémon bothers me

Oct 27, 2017
Top be fair, Gigantamax is just a slight twist on Dynamax and has barely any different effect, just a different move. No different stats, moves or abilities.

Dynamax, in Doubles anyway, I'd argue is the most balanced of the three. In singles, yeah no they're all awful.

And honestly, no I like these twists. Just different moves that not all Pokémon have isn't the way to change things up each generaton and positioning...I don't agree it'd be good. I didn't like it when Yo-kai did it and I highly doubt I'd like it here. It'd be superfluous

I'm not sure how Yokai Watch does it. I was thinking more of Radiant Historia
3350377-bs1.png

• I can just imagine how they could further tweak move changes similar to how they did for double battles (stuff like surfing hitting both opponents or EQ hitting everyone) to something like this.
  • Not to mention since we have different terrain moves those could further be evolved.
  • Different sized pokemon could take up multiple spaces instead of 1, but that would have other benefits (ie. if a pokemon was 2 spaces wide, their physical attacks could hit 2 spaces wide). Stuff like that. And it wouldn't just be temporary

That's another point. A lot of cool strategy elements are lost by the games mainly staying 1v1 focused. They need to make 2v2 standard