• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Seen some people assuming they'll patch new Pokemon backwards to SwSh, and I disagree.

Supposedly some of the difficulties causing Dexit were because of custom animations needed for the camp / Dynamax. I don't see them giving Infernape those animations just so he can be put in SwSh

Plus they've already warned us that games will no longer have the full dex. Back patching Pokemon, even just within a gen, kinda sets people up to expect that eventually the games will all have every Pokemon, after enough patches.

This is possibly the very reason the GTS is on Home only. Imagine if GTS was in-game, and a SwSh player tried trading their Grookey for a Chimchar. Very dirty to handle that, if Chimchar isn't allowed in SwSh. They didn't want to compromise by restricting trades to only Pokemon within the regional dex either. I think this is why GTS is on Home

See, if they truly planned to backpatch Pokemon, there would be no issue having GTS in game.

So yes, this means that I don't expect DP remakes to have battle connectivity with Sword/Shield, given that I think there will be major differences in available Pokemon.

Last edited:

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Epitomage here on the scene. What's the happs? We're talking to Era about leaks for upcoming Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes. Era, the question on everybody's mind;

Will Lumineon be redeemed in ANY way?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Seen some people assuming they'll patch new Pokemon backwards to SwSh, and I disagree.

Supposedly some of the difficulties causing Dexit were because of custom animations needed for the camp / Dynamax. I don't see them giving Infernape those animations just so he can be put in SwSh

Plus they've already warned us that games will no longer have the full dex. Back patching Pokemon, even just within a gen, kinda sets people up to expect that eventually the games will all have every Pokemon, after enough patches.

This is possibly the very reason the GTS is on Home only. Imagine if GTS was in-game, and a SwSh player tried trading their Grookey for a Chimchar. Very dirty to handle that, if Chimchar isn't allowed in SwSh. They didn't want to compromise by restricting trades to only Pokemon within the regional dex either. I think this is why GTS is on Home

See, if they truly planned to backpatch Pokemon, there would be no issue having GTS in game.

So yes, this means that I don't expect DP remakes to have battle connectivity with Sword/Shield, given that I think there will be major differences in available Pokemon.
Why do you think Dynamax and Camp won't be in the remakes? They're not going to completely drop a battle gimmick in the same generation, and Camp is just this generation's version of Amie (including the animations), so of course there will be at least an analog to it in the remakes (though it probably will just be the same thing copied wholesale).

With respect to the GTS, having any Pokémon missing from the games basically forced them to move it to Home, because without it, Pokémon not in the games are just indefinitely stuck in Home with literally nothing you can do with them.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
maybe we'll get physically based materials and real time lighting by gen 10

trojan horsing a 2D game to multi-millions is scummy in ways I respect
Someone I saw on Twitter apparently looked at the leaked code or whatever (I don't remember) and said they implemented a broken PBR pipeline in SWSH, so that might be coming sooner rather than later. Not sure how reliable they are though

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Epitomage here on the scene. What's the happs? We're talking to Era about leaks for upcoming Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes. Era, the question on everybody's mind;

Will Lumineon be redeemed in ANY way?
If they keep the Pokemon rotation DP remakes might be the last time Lumineon is seen for the decade :(
I know people shit on it for being bad and being a fish but it is the prettiest of its ilk and I wish people liked it more.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
If they keep the Pokemon rotation DP remakes might be the last time Lumineon is seen for the decade :(
I know people shit on it for being bad and being a fish but it is the prettiest of its ilk and I wish people liked it more.

I 100% agree and would love it to be even remotely viable for the meta.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree and would love it to be even remotely viable for the meta.
Never understood why people pick on Lumineon for being a fish when Basculin exists. Like at least Lumineon is pretty and has a nice "gimmick" since it glows in the dark

Dec 21, 2020
Whatever they do, I hope they bump up the quality of these models over the course of some time in the background. For some pokemon, like Spectrier, just look like straight up dollar store plastic dolls. Cheap. On top of updating the engine.

The unnecessary gloss, the very plain look to them, very synthetic as if not trying to convey they are creatures/ animal-like beings, etc. doesn't look that appealing to me.

897.png

I like its design, but it looks so weird in 3d.

Something I would have liked is like how Mario suits in odyssey have this small detail added to it that gives it dimension:
Cowboy_hat_cowboy_outfit.jpg

Or characters in Animal Crossing having this finely done work that makes it appear as though they have fur:
Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons-Nintendo-Switch-Isabelle-Tom-Nook-Timmy-Nook-Tommy-Nook-Bells-1240x620.jpg

Or more extreme case, Donkey Kong having literal fur:
maxresdefault.jpg

Of course this may be a more extreme case^

I
'm not asking for photorealism, just... higher quality than what we have at some point and for it to be worked on in the background, paying attention where it would be nice to have? Maybe specifically on the key pokemon like starters and the legendary pokemon. But for water types? I expect gloss like that for those:
Gyarados.png

For this(below) I expect something like the way they did it for Tom Nook or Isabelle
maxresdefault.jpg

Ultimately, it is more attention to detail where it counts, Spectrier is one example and so is Eevee, others like Gyarados which suit the pokemon in question (water type that lives in water), the gloss adds to it and fits. Same with Quagsire and such. Some like Buizel/ Floatzel? a mix for the tubing being the gloss but the body having a different look to it.

Maybe the appearance of what gives the impression of scales? whilst not actually being real scales? But that would work with something like Salamence more. Possibly all fish and dragon pokemon?

I'm also not asking this for DP, just a future game.

It was fine on the 3ds that barely handled a coherent shadow, it seems a bit off on the switch who can hold a coherent shadow.

edit: I would like to see something like it happen in the future, not that it would necessarily happen.

Last edited:

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I don't want main Pokemon to have the textured style of DK/AC.

I already hate the generic smooth shaded 3D model look of GO/Let's Go and HOME.

I want them to do cel-shading well, like Genshin.

Pokemon games aren't Pokemon games without outlines.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to go all in all flat as fuck cel-shading imo, and maybe some fur effect (still flat though) like when they make pikachu look fuzzy in the anime

Alooful

One Winged Slayer
Mar 27, 2020
Why do you think Dynamax and Camp won't be in the remakes? They're not going to completely drop a battle gimmick in the same generation, and Camp is just this generation's version of Amie (including the animations), so of course there will be at least an analog to it in the remakes (though it probably will just be the same thing copied wholesale).

With respect to the GTS, having any Pokémon missing from the games basically forced them to move it to Home, because without it, Pokémon not in the games are just indefinitely stuck in Home with literally nothing you can do with them.

I think Dynamax vs Megas as the main gimmick of DP is a almost a coin flip, and why I enjoy discussing it. My personal bet is that they do not redesign all the gyms / key battle areas to suit the size of Dynamax battles. Let's Go made an arguably similar decision to nix Z Moves simply because Megas were a less awkward fit. In general, Megas have proven to have the lasting popularity to return even when they're not the latest fad (see Let's Go, Masters, and Go)

Your 2nd point about GTS is excellent and perfectly counters my point about GTS

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dynamax vs Megas as the main gimmick of DP is a almost a coin flip, and why I enjoy discussing it. My personal bet is that they do not redesign all the gyms / key battle areas to suit the size of Dynamax battles. Let's Go made an arguably similar decision to nix Z Moves simply because Megas were a less awkward fit. In general, Megas have proven to have the lasting popularity to return even when they're not the latest fad (see Let's Go, Masters, and Go)

While I think Megas have a shot at returning, it probably won't be at the expense of Dynamax. Dynamax is probably sticking around if for no other reason than multiplayer compatibility and to facilitate VGC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't see how the size of dynamax is a problem. It's not like they're using the same assets as a DS game. Everything is gonna be brand new, so designing for dynamax would be a given.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I wonder why "dexit" is even called that when the national dex was scrapped in Gen 7 already, the name doesn't make much sense.

Gen 7's lack of National Pokédex sucked, but it wasn't as bad because they literally just scrapped the Pokédex, but the Pokémon were still there. Besides, I think more than the lack of Pokédex, having to deal with the Rotom Dex screen was an even more awful pain and that outshone.

In summary, Gen 7's problem wasn't as bad to the point of getting a nickname, but also Dexit was more of a Brexit pun, given the region was based in England.

I'd just like a game without gen 1 being shoved in my face all the time lol

People keep saying this because of the special forms and such, and I get it.

I, personally, am more tired of seeing all these Unova, Kalos and now Alola Pokémon appearing over and over in every regional Dex. Like what's the explanation of so many Alolan Pokémon inhabiting Galar? Well, I get that Alola was the most recent, but what's the justification of Unova having so many Pokémon in the Galar dex? I better not see any Unovan Pokémon in the Sinnoh remakes, seriously, if I have to catch another Vanillite, Trubbish, Basculin, Roggenrola, etc I'll just ugh
d93inds-0cc7e889-f890-451b-9f8b-696c00faa96c.gif
lol

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Theres no way we arent getting gigantimax starters and new dialga/palkia/arceus forms if the game is any way at all "traditional" IMO

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
With what happened with Megas, I cannot get attached to any of the Gigantamax designs for even one moment. It's so obvious this won't be a returning feature in coming generations. I just see it as a waste of effort and resources. I'd rather this effort was spent giving regional variants to Pokemon like Machop, Krabby, Lapras, etc. At least regional variants seem like they'll survive the arbitrary culling Gamefreak makes with each games

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
That would require them to actually design a whole new gen's worth of pokemon rather than like 70 + a bunch of new gimmick evolutions/side solutions

And it really makes me sound like a genwunner when I'm the opposite of one, but the bulk of these last few gens of pokemon I really haven't enjoyed. Too many look too cartoony and out of sync with past pokemon.

Still, I'd take 100+ new shitty mons over yet another batch of gen 1 dynamax/megas/whatever the next bullshit will be

That is a very valid reason for the lack of it.

I don't think you sound like one, in all honestly gen 5 has some of my all time least favorite Pokemon designs in the series (some grew on me over the years but some I'll never ever enjoy...) but the refreshing nature of only having new pokemon was such a treat and I loved it.

It was extremely criticized it Black and White and probably the reason it didn't sell as much as other gens. I doubt they will do it again.

It's unfortunate but no doubt a reason why it hasn't happened since so far.

hoping that gen 9 is this. it just feels like it's time

I don't ever expect it again but gosh if gen 9 or a future Pokemon game ever has it again I'm going to be beyond excited.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
what was the initial response to Diamond and Pearl? I basically stopped playing the handheld games after Ruby. I've heard that Black & White were amazing, but never really heard anything about Diamond and Pearl.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
what was the initial response to Diamond and Pearl? I basically stopped playing the handheld games after Ruby. I've heard that Black & White were amazing, but never really heard anything about Diamond and Pearl.

It released in a "down period" in the Pokemon fandom fervor but I think it was received in a "middle of the road" kind of way. I think there is an increasing cult fandom of diamond/pearl/platinum like several other pokemon games as they age. The DS was a great system and I think people in my age group are starting to feel real nostalgia for it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It released in a "down period" in the Pokemon fandom fervor but I think it was received in a "middle of the road" kind of way. I think there is an increasing cult fandom of diamond/pearl/platinum like several other pokemon games as they age. The DS was a great system and I think people in my age group are starting to feel real nostalgia for it.

Diamond and Pearl were huge. They were the best selling games after G/S and R/B til Sw/Sh.

They were the first Pokémon games that had voice chat and online trading and battling.

Common critiques were little kids getting confused by the map, the lack of variety in Pokémon before the credits, locking some new Pokémon to the post game, and the framerate.

But it still did so much for the series.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017

Diamond and Pearl were huge. They were the best selling games after G/S and R/B til Sw/Sh.

They were the first Pokémon games that had voice chat and online trading and battling.

Common critiques were little kids getting confused by the map, the lack of variety in Pokémon before the credits, locking some new Pokémon to the post game, and the framerate.

Ah cheers! I played the crap out of Red, Gold, and Ruby. By then the DS came out but I didn't want to buy it so I never got into any of the later Pokemon games up until Let's Go on the Switch.

What was the post-game content like, cause I loved how in a game like GSC it basically went like, "Hey cool to see you beat the entire Elite 4 in Johto, so now go do the same thing in Kanto". I don't even remember the post-game for R/S.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What was the post-game content like, cause I loved how in a game like GSC it basically went like, "Hey cool to see you beat the entire Elite 4 in Johto, so now go do the same thing in Kanto". I don't even remember the post-game for R/S.
Nothing as big as another region, but new areas do unlock. You get access to the Battle Zone, a place with 3 locations to travel around that include the Battle Tower, a new mountainous area hiding the legendary Pokémon Heatran, and a Villa for yourself.

Other stuff like new legendary Pokémon such as Cresselia required you unlocking the National Dex by seeing all 150 Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex. Then there's stuff that required the GBA games to make any real use of, like the Pal Park for transfering Pokémon, Snowpoint Temple requiring the Regis to unlock Regigigas.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The models are definitely pretty low quality in some regards, but you can't ignore that it's a mammoth task to upgrade them all. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it.

Visually Pokemon looked yuck ever since it went 3D.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland

I can't speak to what the response was at large back then as it was 14 years ago when it released (or almost 15 if we go by the Japanese release date), but I know for myself I've always considered gen 4 my least favourite gen. I just don't really have any standout memories from playing Diamond or Platinum. I remember the very basics of the storyline, but I remember much more about every other gen than that one. If you plonked a picture of all the gen 4 Pokémon in front of me I probably wouldn't be able to name a big chunk of them. Granted, more recent generations like XY to Sw/Sh may be more memorable simply because they're more recent in my memory rather than because of how strong the story was/wasn't.

With all that being said, I am actually excited to play (potential) remakes. I almost went and grabbed my copy of Platinum a few months ago to replay it but I decided to hold off so that the remakes would feel more...new to me when they come out, if that makes sense.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
After getting burned by ORAS (even though I enjoyed the games for what they were), I'm expecting these to be straight up Diamond/Pearl remakes. Maybe the Looker stuff from Platinum makes the cut. But I'm not expecting the Platinum story, or the the Platinum Pokedex. That stuff has paid DLC written all over it

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be stoked for a Deoxys style episode from ORAS used for Giratina and a revamped Distortion world would be really cool.
I'm hoping it's Giratina and Arceus, they can follow the formula of the Delta episode and have you catch Arceus so you can go after Giratina, but this time both Pokemon get a new form.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018

Absolutely! "Down period" was in quotes because I don't believe Pokemon really has ever had one. Maybe "quiet" was a better word? Probably not. It was just after Pokemania in the late 90's early 2000's and before Pokemania "2" in 2016 with Go/Sun/Moon.

I think the larger gaming community can sometime wrongly overlook this era of Pokemon despite the DS giving us arguably the series' best entries.

Online trading/battling is such a leap forward. Also the diamond/pearl/plat/soulsilver/heartgold are my favorite overworld graphics "style" in pokemon's history.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think they will add a few brand new Pokemon? it's a trend they have been doing with recent entries.