• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
edit: hi new page!

It's likely. The domains that they found do point to it. However that's where it came from, just a domain
How are you checking that the domains they found point to it?
Is it still currently doing so in such a way I can check for myself?

Sorry for sounding overly skeptical, I just like to be careful about whose hands in which I place my hype

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Diamond and Pearl definitely need work if they're going to stand on their own today. Hopefully they use Platinum as the baseline and improve from there.

I'd also rather them just cut the underground and improve the other environments, though they could do something cool down there.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it comes down to how much "improvision" these scripted adventure games allow
Okay I gave shit to the statement but Pokemon was a bit better at allowing people to have fun off the beaten path in previous games but I still find it hilarious how a genre that's always been known for being scripted adventures is now getting flack for it. Especially as alot of the newer beloved RPGs have been more scripted than ever such as FF7 Remake or Persona 5

Dec 21, 2020
If we're comparing it to its contemporaries, JRPGs on the same system, then I don't think calling it technically flawed is being hyperbolic. There's nothing the game is doing that should result in such aggressively bad pop in. And this is nearly 7 years and a number of 3D games under their belt.

I honestly think they need to hire completely new tech leadership because it's obvious at this point they don't know what they're doing. You can call that hyperbolic, but I can't think of anything else that will move them away from these incremental improvements that still put them years behind every other developer, including new ones, in the industry
I also do think on top of that, there should be a big update to the in-house engine going forward. Or a new engine (but that's a lot of work to do a new one).

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019
Let's Go artstyle fits better with Gen IV, and I think if they bring SwSh style untouched it wouldn't look as cartoony as Gen IV felt, everything hinges on GameFreak working on changing things and expecting that from them hasn't worked in the past

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope these deliver for fans. I'm already wondering what content they'll cut from it. Didn't the Gen III get cuts that were justified with "people don't have the attention for that stuff anymore" when it came to the Battle Frontier thing?

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
You know, I'm starting to think if the best approach from now on is to have...

- Let's Go
- New gen
- Remake

Per console

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I'd give up on the idea of mythical pokemon being integrated into these games. GF already did

Deoxys in ORAS?
Keldeo in Crown of Tundra?

Crown of Tundra as a whole showed GF still has the creativity to implement Legendaries in the world with the quests we got.

With DP having Darkrai/Manaphy/Arceus/Shaymin, one of these pokemon can have a post-game quest especially Darkrai since Darkrai already has a mini story in Canalave City if you had the Member card back in DPPT. Darkrai vs Cresselia seems like a perfect mini-side quest similar to ORAS reviving the rivalry between Rayquaza and Deoxys.

AMAKAN93

May 5, 2018

- Let's Go
- New gen
- Remake

Per console

This would be cool if these three (six?) games would be spaced out over the console's life cycle leaving time for GF to put time and development into each but that would leave too much money to be made. I think, at least with the Switch if not for every console going forward, it will go:

Let's Go (2018)
SwSh (2019)
SwSh expansion (2020)
Gen IV Remakes (2021)
Gen IX (2022)

Then, depending how well the SwSh expansion pass sold, either a Gen IX expansion pass or a more traditional pair of sequels or upgrades to the Gen IX games. (2023)

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

- Let's Go
- New gen
- Remake

Per console
I don't think Let's Go is ever returning. Just doing:
  • New generation
  • DLC
  • Remake
  • Gap year
Seems to be a good schedule that will hopefully allow the games to not be as resource starved as they are now.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The Darkrai vs Cresselia story not being fleshed out seems like a crime, tbh.

Arceus should be the entire postgame story

Manaphy, lake trio, and Shaymin sidequests in the vein of the legendary trios in the Crown Tundra

Those are my somewhat realistic hopes for the remake. Do that, and I'll ignore any shortcomings the games will inevitably have.

Maybe buff Empoleon, my poor boy is weak to everything 🥲

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Let's Go is ever returning. Just doing:
  • New generation
  • DLC
  • Remake
  • Gap year
Seems to be a good schedule that will hopefully allow the games to not be as resource starved as they are now.
I'd love to perpetually get New Gen > DLC > Remake > DLC > New Gen
Only downside would be it's predictable

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019

This is what I'm hoping for. Releasing DLC every other year instead of a mainline game is a good way for them to spend more time making sure each mainline release is polished and ready.

And predictable isn't inherently bad. Spin-offs and side projects add enough unpredictability for me.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
edit: hi new page!

How are you checking that the domains they found point to it?
Is it still currently doing so in such a way I can check for myself?

Sorry for sounding overly skeptical, I just like to be careful about whose hands in which I place my hype
There are some sites to check these things but as they've disabled the domains now, you can't really see

Jun 5, 2018
Haven't actually given my two pence yet so....

When I think of my fondness for gen 4 a lot of it is HGSS, without that I still do like dppt quite a lot, that being said I have my concerns, I haven't cared for Pokemon since the tradition to 3D, so much was lost because they prioritised it and gen 3's don't give me hope, the main thing is options, give those who want it a post game worth experiencing, give us an exp share toggle and keep the atmosphere they had.

As for legends that's supposedly old ports right? As much as I grow tired of replaying the older games more than the new ones I do think this is the silver lining we need, there's no denying that having access to the old games on one place would be nice, mostly emerald and frlg for me, hope this ones true most of all.

Luca5trife

Mar 30, 2019
Portugal
I really just wanna see all the towns, listen that amazing music and feel the nostalgia from when i was a kid playing it. The lake and Pokémon League music hits really hard. I really miss the japanese inspired setting from the first 4 generations, the latest games haven't excited me very much. Specially SM/USUM, that was atrocious.

I still remember being like 8/9 years old and overly excited checking the 240p japanese trailers and corocoro scans on Serebii once a month, bless you Joe for keeping up with an amazing place for us fans. :D Can't believe its been that long since DPPt.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Ideal: I loved Gen 4 and always wanted this!

Reality: Now we wait to see how Gamefreak will make me wish these games never happened.

I didn't see this from the first page, but I even LIKE ORAS, and this was still near my exact thought process with it, lol.

I'm personally nervous for if/when this happens with B/W, as I liked those better than base D/P - if they don't include platinum elements though, I'm gonna be real sad :(

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The gap year (or alternatively DLC for the remake) is important because 3 years just doesn't seem to be enough anymore (and it's kinda debatable if it ever was).

Also it's already highly predictable. Basically everyone who's paying attention was has been pretty sure this year would be remakes since last year was confirmed to be the "third version" DLC.
The scaling is intentional. The models as standard are to scale.
That doesn't make it okay.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, open areas offline are stable too and I maintain my view that SWSH outside of open areas is gorgeous, though battle backgrounds outside the stadiums could use a shore up

What people don't realise and continue to fail to comprehend is the comparison between Pokémon and Zelda etc.

Zelda has a dozen enemies, a dozen animals and the rest are humans
Pokémon has, at time of writing 1,274 different Pokémon and forms with the vast majority having different shape, skeletal structure and so forth. People continue to forget the scope that exists of Pokémon.

For every single tiny new feature they add, there's literally thousands of animations to make. Every time there's a new engine, there's a lot to retest and if broken, re-record, and if things catastrophically break then due to the size of it even with hundreds of animators it'd take literal years to fix so what do they do then?

Then you have moves, there's currently over 800 moves, each with animations and so smaller moves people forget end up with ho-hum animations such as Double Kick. So you have a combination of astronomical proportions which is why Pokémon only have a few specific attack animations which then activate the other attack animation

Pokémon is grander in scope than all the games people compare it to and yes, it unfortunately means a tree will have a shit texture and other parts.

People don't realise there's diminishing returns here and as much as I hate the cull, I can see it happening again and again out of sheer necessity to:
a) Make games look standard to current trends
b) Not cause overwork of staff
c) Keep the games being actually viable to continue onward

Literally no video game series has this sort of problems and the ones that come close routinely cull/rotate their monsters.

When Dexit was announced, I spoke to many game developers in the industry to try and find out what happened and pretty much each one said to me they're surprised it took so long and that it's inevitable as it's unsustainable

We're going to see the same discourse with whatever game is next due to youtubers who don't know game development and insist it's easy when it isn't.
Do we know why they wouldn't expand significantly if this is the case? For a series that 10-15M in game sales at minimum every 1-2 years purely speaking in terms of gaming, you'd think they would have plenty of reason to expand and provide a more quality game.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I am super excited for these games. I am also super uninterested in the discussions to come here due to a subset of insufferable fans. I have a list of improvements I would like for this series, but I also love each entry and what they brought to the table.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The gap year (or alternatively DLC for the remake) is important because 3 years just doesn't seem to be enough anymore (and it's kinda debatable if it ever was).

Also it's already highly predictable. Basically everyone who's paying attention was has been pretty sure this year would be remakes since last year was confirmed to be the "third version" DLC.

That doesn't make it okay.
But that would be 4 years with that model, now it's 3

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing Other Members
It really gets a bit tiring when in every Pkm thread legitimately 50-70% of the comments are either made by Serebii and Aleh or in response to them.

Explains why there are 14 pages of discussion about hardly anything but c'mon, obviously people are going to keep their expectations low here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do we know why they wouldn't expand significantly if this is the case? For a series that 10-15M in game sales at minimum every 1-2 years purely speaking in terms of gaming, you'd think they would have plenty of reason to expand and provide a more quality game.
They do, that's what people don't realise, and they get outside help in too

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Gamefreak move into one of Nintendo's new offices a while back?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Do you think after the backlash GF got for the frontier removal in ORAS, that they'll bother to bring it back (or at least, the brains as trainers to fight in other means) for a DP remake? Or do you think they'd risk making everyone angry again and only remake DP-centric stuff (though that would still mean they'd have to give Palmer a spot in the battle tower... unless they just copy the rose tower and have it make no contextual sense)

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think after the backlash GF got for the frontier removal in ORAS, that they'll bother to bring it back (or at least, the brains as trainers to fight in other means) for a DP remake? Or do you think they'd risk making everyone angry again and only remake DP-centric stuff (though that would still mean they'd have to give Palmer a spot in the battle tower... unless they just copy the rose tower and have it make no contextual sense)
I'm gonna say it's a 50/50 chance we get the Frontier. If we do I think it will be treated as a farewell to the concept and we'll never see it again.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

The only time I can recall that Gamefreak has blatantly 'given in' to fan demand, barring changes to the online meta, is including previously cut pokemon in Sw/Sh DLC that were said 'would not be added in later-on'.

Unfortunately (at least insofar as people poo-pooing criticism will often tell you) the games sell millions with the effort that GF currently puts in, so why would they go out of their way to go above and beyond?

I honestly am leaning towards little-to-no platinum stuff, but given that we actually had a break year.....it's possible? Depends on how bad COVID messed up the dev cycle, and how much was done before then.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 5 is the one with the most amount of legendaries right or is it gen 4?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be surprised if they didn't include the Platinum expanded Dex. Even in ORAS they added the new evolutions to the Hoenn Dex and gave Phoebe and Glacia Dusknoir and Froslass respectively. I can't see them sticking Flint with Lopunny, Steelix and Drifblim again.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Going to go out on a limb and say it's very unlikely that GF cares about any backlash they receive. I can't recall a single time they've directly responded to fan criticism other than with tiny QoL changes, like finally making the catching tutorial optional.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'd be surprised if they didn't include the Platinum expanded Dex. Even in ORAS they added the new evolutions to the Hoenn Dex and gave Phoebe and Glacia Dusknoir and Froslass respectively. I can't see them sticking Flint with Lopunny, Steelix and Drifblim again.
Definetly, i also think we are going to get alternate versions of Gen 4 Pokemon since Game Freak delibretly decided not to give Gen 4 any regional variants even when they gave Gen 5 some

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Definetly, i also think we are going to get alternate versions of Gen 4 Pokemon since Game Freak delibretly decided not to give Gen 4 any regional variants even when they gave Gen 5 some
Why would we get alternate versions of the Gen 4 Pokémon in a Gen 4 remake? Wouldn't it make more sense to get alternate versions of any of the other generations instead?