• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Chicago is the early 2000s' tour de force of musicals, though that's somewhat cheating, as it's a musical about music, so pouts and goes, "Hey, why not live and breathe it for two hours?" Thus a sheen of pure cinematic showmanship. A drug laced with jazz schmazz pizzazz hissing into your veins, stuffing starry cotton balls into your eyes. An adaptation that manages to possibly rise above its source material by raw finesse in pace, glamour, editing and acting moxy.

And, of course, at the center of it sits the fantastic musical number brought to sexy, catchy, revitalized life:

www.youtube.com

Chicago - Cell Block Tango

This video is about Chicago and the Cell Block Tango. All copyrights are reserved... Hopefully...

(Image is cropped in the video. Best way to watch it is to sit through the whole movie at this rate. ;P)

245ae7a7baa915c1a869aa918f6f0c088cbe448d.gifv

GPUI.gif

The entire flick, however, from its first minute to the last, remains a high point for the musical genre in its modern skin. Here's a toast to future attempts, that they may remember how to rake the magic. ^^'

(Cough, Edgar Wright, cough. You know what to do after Last Night in Soho. *BIG WINK*)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago is so, soooo fucking good.

We Both Reached for the Gun is the high point for me:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I remember taking my girlfriend to see this for her birthday, despite my having a strong dislike for musicals at that time in my life. My brother came along and we went to a theatre to which we'd never been, walked in and there was a FULL upscale style bar right there IN there at the back of the theatre with a cool ass bartender in a tux.

Not only was the movie freaking great but I got drunk. Good memory.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why Chicago is so good and seemingly every other musical adaptation falls apart or falls short. Just crazy to me. Even Marshall has had trouble recreating the magic from this movie

Oct 25, 2017
IMO it's a bad musical with a lot of good numbers. Seems paradoxical but that's my read. An odd 'less than the sum of its parts' situation.