• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Positive vibe game gets more positive vibe. I'll have to replay it soon, I related strongly to the story when I first played it

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Luckily it's also an awesome game :)
Well I am going to get it now regardless and I will give it an honest shot it's just due to my age and having been playing platformers since the Atari and through the years when that's what most of gaming was I just had my fill. I don't hate them or anything, just really uninterested and stop caring pretty quickly.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh dear, was not ready for this one lol. Love Madeline and this is about the most heartwarming news one could hope for. Buzzing.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
For added context, because I see a lot of people saying this will get them to buy the game: The creator, Matt Thorson, is non-binary and the composer, Lena Raine, is a trans woman. So buying the game and soundtrack isn't just supporting devs who are pro-trans, it's supporting trans devs.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Fuck yeah!

Celeste was my favorite game released last year and really helped me get through my deployment and all the anxiety and depression that went along with it. It's become a very personal game to me. I am so happy that the developers continue to connect to and support not only their fans, but also the LGBTQ+ and mental health communities as a whole.

Definitely going to be playing through Farewell this weekend. :)

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this earlier and it really made my day. I already have the game on Switch, but bought it for a friend who hadn't played it yet on Steam.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
For added context, because I see a lot of people saying this will get them to buy the game: The creator, Matt Thorson, is non-binary and the composer, Lena Raine, is a trans woman. So buying the game and soundtrack isn't just supporting devs who are pro-trans, it's supporting trans devs.
I did not know this. Very cool to hear! I'm glad they're seeing so much success in what is obviously a labor of love from the both of them.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not reading the post but is this thread title a spoiler? Cause that's kind of obnoxious if so...

I don't see how it could be. The thread title doesn't really tell you what's going on in the post at all as that kind of title has been used for a range of things like flags in games to voice actors actually saying the words "Trans Rights"

Deleted member 4532

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Um okay but can you not put politics in muh vidya games?
nah I'm just joking and this is great. I just know chuds are going to rage hard

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In that case maybe I will buy my niece a copy for her Switch she's got a birthday coming up.

Edit: So I can double my support, as I said just the first thing guaranteed a purchase for myself.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Celeste was my 2018 GOTY and if allowed Chapter 9 is going to place well in 2019. Amazing game that actually has something to say.

Also, the bottles could very well be depression meds, but I'd still interpret Madeline as trans.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
regardless of madeline's transness (which she totally is), this is incredibly unrealistic

there is no scenario where a trans woman with depression and GAD would have just one prescription :P

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
regardless of madeline's transness (which she totally is), this is incredibly unrealistic

there is no scenario where a trans woman with depression and GAD would have just one prescription :P
I'm wary of asking such a sensitive question, but I'm curious if a trans woman would keep pictures/memorabilia of their previous identity as well?

I speak out of ignorance on the topic, not out of malice. I just thought with the stigma around dead names and the like that would normally be extended to the photos and other stuff pertaining to pre-transition.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
I'm wary of asking such a sensitive question, but I'm curious if a trans woman would keep pictures/memorabilia of their previous identity as well?

I speak out of ignorance on the topic, not out of malice. I just thought with the stigma around dead names and the like that would normally be extended to the photos and other stuff pertaining to pre-transition.
depends on the person really
some people like to keep old pics around as a reminder of how much they've changed

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It really varies from person to person. The general rule is to avoid deadnames, but not every trans person has a problem with them. And even if old pictures make people uncomfortable in some way, a lot of people hang onto them because otherwise they just don't have any pictures from their past or childhood at all.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste was already a GOAT game by my standards, but this just intensifies that feeling. People can scoff at what they perceive as shoehorned representation (it's not) and overbearing political messages (it's not) in games all they want, but as a trans woman this makes me so fucking happy to have supported this game. Representation is so important, and this is a lovely way of doing it.

Varies from person to person. For some people, it's the only way to remember and document the good times of the past, for instance, when they happened. Or maybe the only pictures you have of a beloved friend or family member are from before transitioning. It's hard to say - some people get rid of it all, some people still keep some around for sentimental reasons, even though it may be painful.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

for me, I don't like looking at myself but there are photos of important memories that I don't want to forget. I doubt I'll ever want to get rid of those

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
depends on the person really
some people like to keep old pics around as a reminder of how much they've changed
It really varies from person to person. The general rule is to avoid deadnames, but not every trans person has a problem with them. And even if old pictures make people uncomfortable in some way, a lot of people hang onto them because otherwise they just don't have any pictures from their past or childhood at all.
Thank you, I was hoping I wouldn't upset anyone by asking. I had it in my head that post transition that anything prior to the transition could be a huge pain point for the person in question. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

for me, I don't like looking at myself but there are photos of important memories that I don't want to forget. I doubt I'll ever want to get rid of those
Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope I didn't upset you by asking. I'm glad to gain new knowledge through a great game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Came in to mention this, nice that someone already did!
Lena's work on Guild Wars 2 was great and I've followed her since then.

The game is not my cup of tea but I love this so much.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I always wanted to play this game but kind of gave up on the idea. This reignites my interest in the game but I'm worried that it may be too hard for what I'm wanting(patient enough) right now.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I always wanted to play this game but kind of gave up on the idea. This reignites my interest in the game but I'm worried that it may be too hard for what I'm wanting(patient enough) right now.
Assist mode, my friend, you can customize it to be only as hard as you can afford

But the game's learning curve is good enough to a lost case like me to reache the end of ch7 without help ^_^

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Game is great and Madeline is lovely. I have too many games to get back to Celeste for the DLC. But I am glad many people are enjoying such a great game.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't the flags simply mean the creators support trans rights, but it doesn't necessarily make Madeline trans?

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Can't the flags simply mean the creators support trans rights, but it doesn't necessarily make Madeline trans?

That's plausible, but the fact that she has a picture of herself and her mother where she looks more, for lack of a better word, masculine makes me think otherwise. Considering that these were consciously included by the developer I think the suggestion is apparent. That the developers are similarly LGBT+ makes it even more likely to me that they would seek to put a transgender character in their game. It's also a case where it's difficult to outright confirm a character is trans without either deadnaming them or having it come up more or less out of the blue.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
I beat The Core today, but got two screens into the DLC before going "fuck this" and watched a video (and from what I saw, glad I did. Seemed hard for hard sake). Definitely noticed the flag, didn't notice the other parts. Neat!