• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking did it. Literally as the bus was pulling up to my stop to drop me off at work. But I did it.

19 hours. 7766 deaths.

I told you guys, I'm not good. I'm just stubborn.

Yes - that was my playtime to finish Chapter 9. My overall playtime for this game (all hearts and secrets other than golden strawberries) is around 80 hours.

Just a reminder for everyone still struggling with the DLC and thinking that they're the worst person in this thread at this game.

You can do it if you're stubborn enough. I believe in you.

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes this is like for people who know the mechanics by heart with perfect execution. That's cool they made this but there's no way I'll be able to finish this.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, so this is the moon berry someone mentioned. Cool! Thanks RockmanBN for telling me the game wasn't over.

I definitely must have "cheated" the final challenge though, heh. I was confused by how simple it was compared to the previous stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so this is the moon berry someone mentioned. Cool! Thanks RockmanBN for telling me the game wasn't over.

I definitely must have "cheated" the final challenge though, heh. I was confused by how simple it was compared to the previous stuff.

I've seen that throw done a few ways. I threw it left and it bounced off of a few trampolines before I caught it a little further up. It's definitely not the hardest part of the room for sure.

Trails

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I'm finally done with Celeste for good. I've been playing Chapter 9 almost everyday and have done dozen or so full-runs. I'm no speedrunner but just wanted to get decent completion time and low death count for Chapter 9. My first playthrough was around 7,5 hours and 2300 deaths. It was great seeing how my times improved after every completion and today I finally got my decent time 35min. and 69 deaths. That's it, one of my all-time favourites. Goodbye.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
How are the PS4 trophies? Undecided between PS4 and Switch version (the latter is currently on sale in EU).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
How are the PS4 trophies? Undecided between PS4 and Switch version (the latter is currently on sale in EU).
You can easily cheat everything with assist mode if you're only looking to get the platinum. Assist mode basically allows for infinite dashes and invincibility which means you can get it done quickly. Using it doesn't prevent unlocking trophies.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
You can easily cheat everything with assist mode if you're only looking to get the platinum. Assist mode basically allows for infinite dashes and invincibility which means you can get it done quickly. Using it doesn't prevent unlocking trophies.
Wow. Getting the Switch version then, since trophies seem meaningless in this game anyway. Thanks for the info!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We'll it took me 2900 or so deaths to beat the base game through Ch7. I am not great at platformers, but this game is fucking amazing, so I couldn't stop.

I am scared and excited to play 8 and 9.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I was starting to entertain the idea that this DLC does not, in fact, have an ending. The quest for the last strawberry was quite massive. And just when I was sure I was there the game threw me another segment. But it's done, now I have all achievements again.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I was starting to entertain the idea that this DLC does not, in fact, have an ending. The quest for the last strawberry was quite massive. And just when I was sure I was there the game threw me another segment. But it's done, now I have all achievements again.
They even added ANOTHER room that you can only see if you somehow manage to carry the golden strawberry all the way to the end.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Have all the C sides through 7 done now. Most around 15-20 minutes. 3 and 7 both almost 2 hours. Not looking forward to 8.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Finally done with it... a bit too slow but at least I got it. Great challenge.

14h, 4800ish deaths... xD...

EFmuWDqVAAAPaif

Only left is the goldens/moon berry (I'll tackle very soon after complete Astral Chain and Link's Awakening)...

japtor

Jan 19, 2018

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have so much respect for anyone with 202. It has to be one of the hardest accomplishments in all of gaming.
Celeste 202 is up there. I have 193 and it's still probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

A lot of specific Mario Maker Kaizo levels are harder, of course, but they're not "official" content, in a sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste 202 is up there. I have 193 and it's still probably the hardest thing I've ever done.

A lot of specific Mario Maker Kaizo levels are harder, of course, but they're not "official" content, in a sense.

I have 179 (Moon, 1A, 2A, 1W). I know what it takes to go beyond that, and I'm just not willing to go on that journey (especially on Switch with its awful D-pad). It's not just the gameplay execution challenge. It's a huge mental challenge.

Oct 28, 2017
Finally had some free time tonight and finished the DLC. Some very fun parts!

But a lot of my disappointment and frustration came from wavedashing. I think the mechanic just never felt right and it detracted from a true platformer experience. Also I have fat short fingers so wiggling the joystick around was difficult for me.

I think a very easy fix to place jump pads where wavedashing is needed. This way, the input error is removed from the player and focus is still on platforming.

statha

Feb 15, 2018
Free time isnt exactly my thing the last few weeks, and I really want to play the DLC now. I wont even start if I dont secure a slab of time though, since when I urge things I tend to fail and get frustrated, not a good combination for this game :-D

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Phew. The good news is I've finally reached the final room!

... The bad news is I've finally reached the final room.

I'm really half tempted to just use Assist Mode and call it a day... On the other hand, I want my sense of accomplishment...

Last edited:

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
A successful run through the last room takes me a little over 2 minutes.

You can do it :)
I caved in and just Assist-moded it. I've been playing this Chapter 9 legitimately for hours, over the course of several days, I needed it to end (3425 deaths and counting, and that's without taking the last room into account since I pretty much cheat-coded it).
Thankfully, there is a check point right there in the final room, so I'll be able to train and do it the "right" way later. I've gone through the whole game without watching guides (well, I did have to watch a video to understand just how the jellyfish worked) and without the assist-mode, so I'm already quite happy with what I've been able to do. Right now, I just want to rest. I'll never have the perfect sense of accomplishment after this, even if I do it legitimately, but I've had enough to be honest.

On a side note: is it me, or is the last part (barring the last room) easier than the rest? Once Madeline makes her peace and decides to help the bird, I got the feeling that the rooms were much easier to clear, whereas the earlier ones felt like they required pixel-perfect precision (true enough, I could just have gone better at playing this game, but I really got the feeling it was easier).

I wonder if I've been playing the game wrong too, in a sense, as I am playing with the stick instead of the D-pad. Granted, the Pro Controller D-Pad is a bit too far for my hands (and I'm really not a fan of it...), so it really wasn't comfortable to try to play with it. I'm kinda curious how I would fare with a PS4 Controller.

Last edited:

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
The final room isn't too hard, it's just very long. I even did most of the final section on my first try.

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
Am I correct in thinking that I need to have collected every heart before tackling the 2nd half of Farewell? I love this game, but I'm not sure I have the willpower to get through the Summit b-side...

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Finally, beat Chapter 9 with 2442 deaths... What a game! I thought that I wouldn't be able to complete the chapter, but I actually did it!

My hands need a proper rest now before continuing to C Sides XD

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Am I correct in thinking that I need to have collected every heart before tackling the 2nd half of Farewell? I love this game, but I'm not sure I have the willpower to get through the Summit b-side...
You need 15, which is every heart through Summit B but doesn't include Core B or the C sides. Or, if you're quick, you can wavedash under the gate as it comes down. There are videos of it on youtube.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

I'd recommend getting all the hearts (all B-sides and all C-sides), even though not all are needed, since the second half of Farewell is longer and harder than anything else in the game, anyway, including the Summit B-side.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
1497 deaths later I've finished the main story. My favourite game in ages, reminded me a bit of SMG2 at times which is just about the highest praise I can give. Just felt right from the start, the controls, music, characters, atmosphere... all of it. Even the shallow travel conversation with Theo turning deep rung true.

Most importantly it was difficult but rarely felt frustrating, which meant I pushed on and well that's the point ain't it. Hope the b-sides and strawberry hunting feels the same but I have the feeling I won't be up to it.