• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I might try that but I whish they would explain what it does...I thought maybe it was some kind of co-op thing...? what does it do...?

I dont hate Ori per say,the game is beautiful,music is great but it got too hard fast for me,that's why I compared it...I guess I hate it because I suck at it and dont have the patience to ''get gud'' at it.
It gives aid like cheats for those who are having trouble with the higher difficulty. You can enable more dashes, infinite climbing stamina, invincibility, or ingame speed.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yo I hate story and heavy-handedness in games and if you are like me, don't avoid!

Game is very fluid and mechanics heavy and the story is very non-intrusive and is pretty great. Way better than 3+ min cutscenes.

This beats the h*ck out of many modern story telling games and doesn't lose what is it to be a game.

/out

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
i died 521 times before completing my first cassette/b-side stage (the old ruins) and my hands hurt and i want to die

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope anyone who even remotely enjoys platformers takes the time to try this game. It's absolutely fantastic with great characters and a touching story.

And as a funny and cute bonus, one of the characters has an Instagram with cool pictures that aren't in the actual game. I'd check it out once you finsh, for any first-timers.

https://www.instagram.com/theounderstars/

EDIT: It might also be time to bring out my Maddy avatar again that came from said Instagram.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yo I hate story and heavy-handedness in games and if you are like me, don't avoid!

Game is very fluid and mechanics heavy and the story is very non-intrusive and is pretty great. Way better than 3+ min cutscenes.

This beats the h*ck out of many modern story telling games and doesn't lose what is it to be a game.

/out
This. I also hate long cutscenes and forced narrative, or tons of text to read through in platformers (Iconoclasts I'm looking at you). But in Celeste it's very light on one hand but also heavy hitting with its impact. It's just the perfect balance really.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Two chapters in... This game is not good for my blood pressure. I like the control a lot more than Ori, I suppose. It's more responsive and not floaty.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Played it for about an hour, not really enamored by it and am kinda struggling to think of reasons it'd be in so many top ten lists.

Still thankful for it being on Gold and i might get back into it soon.

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't dispute what I said. For those of us with actual lives, the levels other than 1 are too long for no-death speed runs.
Lol what even is this comment. That's the whole game in 30 mins. Is your critique that doing a no death speed run is challenging? In that case: no shit. Shouldn't it be? this isn't baby's first speedrun game. Like I don't understand how a game that can be beat in 30 mins has levels that are too long.

Played it for about an hour, not really enamored by it and am kinda struggling to think of reasons it'd be in so many top ten lists.
The air dash + level design in this game is like digital crack to me. either you like it or you don't i suppose though

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
game is rad, odd that i sat on it, but getting it for free now is like a monkey paw curse cause that x1 controller is blarf for this for me at least.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't dispute what I said. For those of us with actual lives, the levels other than 1 are too long for no-death speed runs.

The fuck? They aren't too long, there's plenty of checkpoints.

Edit: if you're doing a no death speed run, aren't you flying through in seconds?

Genuinely one of the weirdest complaints I've ever read here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up. My XBL Gold trial expires today, I think, so I was able to get in a couple of hours of Celeste and I really enjoyed it. I'm going to buy the full game on PS4, I think, because I don't really like the XB1 D-pad.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Did the first two chapters so far and have been enjoying it. Surprisingly enough, I found the Second Chapter to be quicker than the first. Only bringing that up since we had a small discussion on the 1st chapter being the shortest.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Well I tried. It was too difficult for me so I turned on all assists. For people who care about achievements, I got 1,000 g and I just started it this morning. Just look at a guide for the strawberries and everything else is extremely easy with all assists on

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I love this game! It might be one of my favorite platformers of this gen. It's difficulty is something that might frustrate you from time to time, but that's also what makes it challenging and consequently more rewarding. Almost feel bad for not paying for this gem.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Complains about an endeavor that requires intense practice and a lot of free time unfriendly to "people with lives". If you want to get good at a game, be prepared to spend time on it, shocking, I know.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Played again on my X. Did much better than my initial playthrough on PS4 sometime in February. Can't wait for the new hard levels.
Dv0NxsCX0AAtMaF

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How can a busy on the go normal person like me with friends and important social obligations to attend squeeze in my no death speed runs adequately with the SIZE of these levels???

I say!

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the first 4 levels, haven't been impressed with it so far.

I think games like Ori or Guacamelee are waaaay better, but I'll keep playing and see if I change my mind.

DannyClash

Oct 25, 2017
Just gave this a quick playthrough ~70 strawbs, 2,000 deaths. Quite fun

Celestial resort sucks and when they revisit it it also sucks,

thought the inputs with a controller joystick were a bit too strict, diagonals galore. i probably needed to switch to dpad

might go for a few b sides and celestial stars

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
You can beat the main game even if you've never beaten a platformer before - and that's without using the Assist mode. It's the bonus levels where the game becomes difficult.

Realistically the main game is very demanding for its genre. It's very fair with its checkpoints but a lot of people will start dying in the Celestial Hotel and rarely stop. :p

The B Sides and C Sides make the main game feel like a joke, mind. That's one of my favourite things about Celeste. You know in a good Metroidvania where you go back through that early-game area that was giving you so much grief and just coast through it with your new loot? Celeste is like that but with pure accrued skill. You go through areas that you lost 50 lives to with no danger at all, and it's all you, all your ability.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying it, definitely going to slot it into my top 10 GOTY list.

That said, the end of chapter 6 was way too long. Like, it just kept going and going and going.