• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BobZhn

Nov 17, 2017
SE Asia
Welp... apparently not all games are available in some asian countries... Cuphead, FH4, GoW4 is, but not Celeste.
f0u9lcIl.jpg

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lol I JUST bought this on sale on Steam the other day since it was like 20% off. I only played and completed up to chapter 3 so I wonder if I'm eligible to return in. Time to find out!

Actually before I do that I can't seem to find out how to get Celeste for free on the Microsoft store. I tried all the links in the topic. Checked my browser. Downloaded the app and everything still reads $19.99. Wonder what's up.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just finished this game today. Overall it was pretty amazing. Art style, music, and level design were absolutely perfect. Loved the themes it explored, too.

My main issue with the game - my only issue, really - is that the levels, and especially the boss levels, are way too long. I was playing the final level for like three hours. That's kind of ridiculous, IMO. (To be fair, I stopped playing the game for like six months and then came back to play the last level, and thus I was probably dying quite a bit more than I would have if I had kept playing the game until the end.) And every time I was doing a boss level, I just kept thinking, "WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END."

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got to partway into the second chapter, it's pretty good. I'm not good at these types of games but I like it so far. Does the story get meatier, because there's not much so far.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
For those of you afraid of this game being too difficult, one of the best parts of Celeste is that it doesn't look down upon you for enabling difficulty assists.

You should play it. If it's too tough, enable the assists - it's still completely worth it. It's part of the developer's intentions.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The game is hard, but tbh it's also very forgiving for basically the whole main game.

The b-sides and c-sides are not forgiving, but that's bonus content.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I actually just finished this game today. Overall it was pretty amazing. Art style, music, and level design were absolutely perfect. Loved the themes it explored, too.

My main issue with the game - my only issue, really - is that the levels, and especially the boss levels, are way too long. I was playing the final level for like three hours. That's kind of ridiculous, IMO. (To be fair, I stopped playing the game for like six months and then came back to play the last level, and thus I was probably dying quite a bit more than I would have if I had kept playing the game until the end.) And every time I was doing a boss level, I just kept thinking, "WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END."
Wired I finished them relatively quickly. Only took about 16 hours to 100% it with a few gold strawberries.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just when games get 95+ scores or are peoples game of the year, there are reason for this. I can say why RDR2 is my GOTY can anyone do the same for celeste?

It's funny that you say that because I was just about to quote your earlier post and use RDR2 as an example of a game that does not deserve those insanely high review scores it got lol.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Finished the game on Switch. It was OK. Way too long though... They needed an editor.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Wired I finished them relatively quickly. Only took about 16 hours to 100% it with a few gold strawberries.
I just went back to replay a couple of the early levels and got through them pretty quickly. I'll chalk up the length of the levels to the fact that it was a.) the final level that I was playing, which is obviously going to be the most challenging, and b.) six+ months between the time that I played the first six chapters and the final one.

I do recall when I was playing it originally, though (and this was my opinion when playing it today to finish it out), the boss battles ARE too long. I appreciate that they are meant to test your skill, but they go on for a long time. I've never liked bosses, because I like to go at my own pace, so the problem was exacerbated for me.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I guess I'm getting old because I'm dying so much. Like spend 5-10 minutes on a single screen dying. Like Super Meat Boy levels of dying. The difficulty just spiked for me. I'll keep at it but I'm just not having that much fun currently.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Probably the most overrated game I've played this year. After hearing all the hype, I got it for Switch.

Not a fan at all. And I love platformers and super difficult platformers (I was a big fan of super meat boy).

I wish I saw what others see in it, but I don't at all.

Same here, i was just shaking my head in disbelief about all the praise..the jumping in this game doesn't even feel good and those hideous character portraits in conversations..played it for 3 hrs and never returned to it

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm getting old because I'm dying so much. Like spend 5-10 minutes on a single screen dying. Like Super Meat Boy levels of dying. The difficulty just spiked for me. I'll keep at it but I'm just not having that much fun currently.

There are accessibility options to make it more forgiving.

Also, I'd say it's not a 1-for-1 comparable to SMB. There are correct ways to complete levels, more puzzle-like, and sometimes you're just doing it wrong. There were times where I kept thinking I was just off by a pixel or my timing was wrong but, really, I was just looking at it entirely incorrect and there was a much easier solution.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Died 142 times before I said screw it and toggled assist mode.

I had a stroke last year, so games like these are the antithesis of fun. I'm glad they included the cheat mode because I would have gotten too frustrated to continue and just read a summary of the game.

In case it's not clear (it wasn't for me) you need to do more once you toggle on assist mode. I was wondering why it was still difficult with the mode on -- turns out it's not on, until you say yes to the initial toggle and then go into the pause mode.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I would feel like a wimpy filthy casual if I used those assists myself, but it's great to have those kind of options for people who don't judge themselves as hard as I do.

No, really, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I had to resort to "easy mode" to beat a game. :(

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Keep going, believe in yourself, you can achieve greatness if you just push through this barrier.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up with over 2,000 deaths. Granted 1,000 of them were on the final world. I had taken a huge break between the first six chapters and the final one, so I must have been a bit rusty, lol.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is it possible to create a XBL account, get some free Live Good trial and add the game to my collection? I don't have an Xbox but I will have in the future.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to create a XBL account, get some free Live Good trial and add the game to my collection? I don't have an Xbox but I will have in the future.

IIRC games will stay in tied to your gamertag but are only accessible as long as you have an active XBLG membership (for Xbox One games).

What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold subscription?

On Xbox One, you'll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you'll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

https://support.xbox.com/ar-AE/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq

Also, this is applicable to you:

Is Games with Gold available if I'm on a 30-day Xbox Live Gold credit card trial?

You're eligible. If you have an Xbox 360, you must have a current Xbox Live Gold membership or an Xbox Live Gold trial that requires a credit card.

What kind of Xbox Live Gold trials are eligible?

All Xbox Live trials on Xbox One are eligible for every benefit of Xbox Live Gold, including Games with Gold. On Xbox 360, you're only eligible if you're on an Xbox Live Gold one-month free trial.

If you're on a 14-day prepaid code trial, you're not eligible. You must have a current Xbox Live Gold subscription or trial that requires a credit card.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
i got 3/4 through the main game and hit a wall, moved on to something else.

ill be honest that when i heard you can alter gameplay difficulty without turning off achievements a month ago i was all up ons.

the last achievement was beating pico, where the adjustments have no effect, and man, all those advanced techniques you are forced to use ... i wish i had know about in the main game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's what I got from watching part of review.
While super meat boy is good, it's not game of the year good, or 10/10 good.

Is celeste just about gameplay? No story or new mechanics? It's just really tight smb like gameplay?

Celeste has an amazing story - not so much a complex narrative, but a thought-provoking exploration of personal mental health and the struggle with one's own personal demons and self doubt. There are actually several youtube videos breaking down and discussing the story and mental health.

The music is phenomenal too. And yes the gameplay is compelling, tight, and great.

More than any other game in 2018, Celeste is the complete total package. Its #3 on my personal GOTY list behind GoW and RDR2, but its the closest to being a perfect game at what it does.

Feb 10, 2018
First impressions: nice music and presentation, the graphics are a nice nostalgia tug but just because something is nostalgic does not make it good.
The gameplay is good.
It's a very good indie but I don't get the hype.
Rayman origins is a better game.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
First impressions: nice music and presentation, the graphics are a nice nostalgia tug but just because something is nostalgic does not make it good.
The gameplay is good.
It's a very good indie but I don't get the hype.
Rayman origins is a better game.
I mean Rayman Origins is prettier

It certainly doesn't have better platforming than Celeste. Celeste has more mechanics and far better level design.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Turn on the assists?

I might try that but I whish they would explain what it does...I thought maybe it was some kind of co-op thing...? what does it do...?

how can anyone hate ori?

I dont hate Ori per say,the game is beautiful,music is great but it got too hard fast for me,that's why I compared it to Celeste...I guess I hate it because I suck at it and dont have the patience to ''get gud'' at it. ;)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I might try that but I whish they would explain what it does...I thought maybe it was some kind of co-op thing...? what does it do...?

I dont hate Ori per say,the game is beautiful,music is great but it got too hard fast for me,that's why I compared it to Celeste...I guess I hate it because I suck at it and dont have the patience to ''get gud'' at it. ;)