• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
After spending more than 20 hours with it, I can safely say this with confidence. Celeste is a platforming masterpiece, currently sitting at 93 on Metacritic on Switch and 94 on XBO.
What is crucial in a platformer is the simple joy of moving the main character and Celeste nails this aspect perfectly. Jumping and dashing have a satisfying feedback, the character's animations are spot on, with hair "physics" when falling, and the controls are extremely responsive.
On top of that, the level design is superb and expertly crafted. Each level introduce one or several level mechanics that change the gameplay and the way to navigate obstacles. Each idea is explored to the fullest, just as much as Nintendo classics such as the Super Mario Galaxy series.
The collectibles are all worthwhile and satisfying to get (Even more so than Super Mario Odyssey).
The soundtrack is stellar, just listen to Chapter 4 B-side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDYV_IbPuo

And I'm not even talking about the lovely story and characters, the Fez-like secrets and more.

A truly magical game.

2996255-cp_celeste_ql_01302018.00_13_20_22.still001.jpg

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I would be curious to know the other 7 games then. It could be, but there is a lot of competition.

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should probably check it out when they get the chance. Charming narrative and great music elevates strong game design to a pretty special experience

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, can't disagree. The narrative really elevates it as well, it has fantastic gameplay and level design, but the one thing it has that a lot of classic platformers don't is a very emotionally affecting, well-told story about personal growth

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
It's really too damn hard too quickly

It's designed expertly, but it reminds me of super dram world in that it's a learning curve way too steep for a mainstream product

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't IGN give this a 10? Not that they are the standard but any game that receives a 10 from any major publication at least deserves a looksee.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is it really that good? I have to admit that I kinda put it off as "some indie game". (It is not my intention to downplay the effort of the developers!)

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned - Drive-by posting (Had multiple chances to elaborate and didn't)
You need to play more 2d platformers

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to point out that Super Mario World is better than Super Mario Bros. 3

As for Celeste, I have this, I just need to get around to playing it...

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure it's a good game, but if it's truly one of the best of all time in the genre, then that's pretty disappointing that these sorts of games can only be so good.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like how there's so much emphasis on its narrative when claiming it's one of the best (from others, not OP). I mean, knowing nothing about the game, once I learned IGN gave it a 10 I immediately assumed the game had a story lol, and I do agree it's damn good, but it feels kinda unfair to other platformers, I dunno.

Either way, yes, I'm a big fan of the genre and this is one masterfully designed game with lots of quality, well crafted content. The level of care and polish is very remarkable.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
First its 89 on pc right now. Really don't like the title of this thread...usually that is quoted from a big site not just an opinion. Most usually ask it as a question. That is me, I don't like to take positions on best of something cause it just my opinion. It's kind of click baity.

But anyway, cars are nice when it's new compared to the ones you have been driving for a long time. Lets see how it looks over some time. There is a lot of games in this space. I played it. Thought it was fine. Would like to see the other 7 games on the list. Be better if you tackled that list and get input from the community.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
OP, I agree with you 100%. On top of the satisfying challenge of the game, the music and story add so much to the experience.

Also, I'd agree that Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove deserves it's place on that list.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The great reviews and word of mouth has me interested in picking this up next. I think what might've sold me, however, is a gif I saw of the main character platforming outside what appeared to be a monastery at night. It was raining or snowing outside — I can't remember which — but the atmosphere was amazing, seeing it in motion. It was cold outside, yet felt warm inside. Very immersive, despite the simplistic style (or maybe -because- of it).

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'd put it (or Yoshi's Island) in my top 10, but I think it's very good and about as good as that specific slice of the genre (micro-challenges) can be. Certainly stomps all over Meat Boy and N+ and the like .

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
It truly is one of my top 15 games of all time, that's for sure. It may even be higher, but it's up there.

This game just sort of stuck with me for a while, in a subconscious, subtle sort of way. It's a very well crafted game, both in challenge (hard, but not *too* hard), and in pacing. And because of the sheer difficulty, I feel like the develop knew the investment the player would make, and tries to weave that into the main storyline. What I mean is, the story wouldn't be near as memorable if the challenge didn't reflect it. Good stuff!

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as much as I love tough-as-nails platformers, they've never quite hit my personal top ten list. Dustforce got really close; it had an incredible mood and sound controls, but I always felt it was missing something. Celeste does an incredible job giving the subgenre spirit, props to Thorson and crew! SMB3 and Yoshi's Island are also personal favorites, and Celeste immediately received a seat next to them in my heart.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd put it above many of the Mario games to be honest, definitely Yoshi's Island. Really a spectacular game, and surprisingly chock full of content.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Can't believe it has such a high score on MC. Think Switch version has the most reviews. Assist mode really makes it enjoyable for anyone.
g7h9HIa.png

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
You are correct. It is a masterpiece in both gameplay and storytelling. I didn't even know there was a story in it before playing it and was absolutely blown away.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't 10/10 platforming perfection as I was lead to believe, but it was damn good. Really damn good.

Dec 3, 2017
Let's do everyone a favor and not say that a game less than a month old is "one of the greatest things ever" ever again. Thanks.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
This game is just so good, and everyone needs to play it.
The C-Sides are absolutely brutal!

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, Celeste is an absolute masterpiece. Pitch-perfect platforming, a great story and a massive amount of content.

Man, I think I'm gonna play some right now, the b-sides need clearing...

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Is definitely the best take on the Super Meat Boy style of overly-challenging platformers. I'm not even a fan of the genre but Celeste does that sort of thing really well.

It has also been the best selling Switch title on the eShop for a couple of weeks now so I guess it has been successful sales-wise too.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only an hour into the game and I could honestly see it becoming one of my favs as well. Feels incredible to play and the music has been fantastic.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will not stand for this SMB3 slander. It's the best video game ever made, even if it isn't my personal favorite.

Celeste really is a top 10 all time platformer, but I'd argue that yoshi's island isn't.

I actually agree. I like Yoshi's Island, but it's not on my top 10 list of platformers. Celeste probably is though.

Deleted member 59

Yeah i finished the main game earlier this week. I love these types of platformer (Super Meat Boy, Slime-san etc) and this has already been elevated to the to of that genre for me.

Fantastic gameplay, amazing presentation, effective story telling and likeable characters.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
It is very very good.

I wish the Switch had a better d-pad, though. I know the claim is you can play Celeste with the analog stick, but I've been completely unable to learn it (for all precise challenges I have to go back to using the bad d-pad)

aside: if anyone has a Switch controller recommendation for me to enjoy this game more, feel free to share it

RooMHM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks good but why do you people need to say a lot of new releases are best or among best. Can't it just be good and not hyped to the skies ?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Celeste is fantastic. It's up there on the same shelf as Tropical Freeze and Super Meat Boy for me. Highly recommended to anyone who likes hard 2d platformers.