• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's an incredible, emotional, at times supremely challenging but very fair, packed with content, 2D platformer. At this price you really can't go wrong.

www.nintendo.com

Celeste for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Celeste and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Sale ends January 30th.

HarshIllegalGlassfrog-size_restricted.gif

Towerfall from the same devs is also on sale for $6.79.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i love this game but man is it hard. im stuck at the cave were that dude gets lost.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I have ~$4 in gold coins so I might grab it. Will look tonight.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I think the platforming in this game is monumental. One of the most satisfying feelings in the world when you are able to string together a bunch of perfect jumps to clear a section. However, I ended up dropping the game because I often found myself in a hub and lost on where I need to go next.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
An argument can be made for it being the best platformer of all time. If anything, a price tag of under $7 would be foolish to pass up. If you're even remotely interested in this game or if you like platformers, it's a must-play.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love the game and have purchased it 3 times across different platforms and mediums, have all the soundtracks, physical vinyl releases, etc, but I've never completed it. Even with the assists, the difficulty curve is brutal and I always bounce off it no matter how hard I try and how much time I put into it. Shame.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Game was really fun, challenging and had a small, but important story about depression. I beat it in about 7 hours and really enjoyed the platforming and challenge. I'd totally recommend it :)
speaking of games dealing with depression, also check out Gris

May 5, 2018
It's an absolute steal at that price! One of my all time favorite games and maybe my favorite game of the past decade.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
Already got it free on epic. Maybe Ill play a bit to see if I like it enough, and I may buy it again.

Thats what i did with Into the Breach. But its really gotta convince me.

Also playing with a switch controller may be more fun?

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I picked this up recently and I really enjoy it - I have died so many times but I always know what i'm supposed to be doing and rarely am I left confused or feeling like the game's unfair. It's very satisfying to get through a room you've been stuck at for a while, and I appreciate that the strawberries are just there for an extra challenge and nothing's gated behind them - you can give yourself a little challenge and try and get them or you can leave them be if you're getting frustrated.

The pixel art is good but the story is fantastic, very charming character art and interactions too. Have been gradually making my way through (think I've beaten the fifth chapter now?) and it's my go-to game at the moment when I have 10 minutes or so to play something.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
GOAT platformer and true GOTY 2018. If you still haven't purchased it after all the accolades, what are you even doing?

LeoDroid

Aug 13, 2019
Brazil
I already own Celeste on Switch from another sale. Is it true that playing the game with the Switch Pro Controller is horrible due to the D-Pad?

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Might consider double dipping on this. Loved it after I got it for free from EGS. Feels like a perfect game to play a few minutes of on the go

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Surprised to see people saying its difficult

I dont like hard games at all and didn't have much trouble with Celeste

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
how difficult is this

It has a very steady learning curve. It is at least moderately difficult at all times, but you will never at any point feel like you just will never be able to clear a screen. The game teaches you well and eases you into the challenge. The last level will feel just about as hard to you as the first level, but when you go back to start from the beginning again, you'll absolutely breeze through the main game.

This is aside from "challenge" screens for collecting optional strawberries, and the brutal post-game content.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
Both my Joycons have a drifting issue so, while I really want this game, I cant play it.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
it's difficult, but it's not punishing. you never run out of lives, you respawn almost instantly, and in the same room you died in. it's about persisting through the challenge.

and it's so gratifying.
Nothing in the game is unbeatable. You die often, and respawn instantly. There are some post-game challenges that will really test your abilities, but the main game is absolutely beatable if you're willing to put in the time to learn. I've cleared everything in the game, DLC included, except for a few golden strawberries and I did it all with that pathetic Switch Pro D-Pad.

Edit: Oops, meant to respond to Ultima_5

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Celeste is indeed a GOAT 2D platformer, but I didn't know Towerfall was on sale too, so thanks!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite 2D platformer of all time. It's a real treat. I'm quite bad at it, but it was very satisfying to do near perfect runs of levels.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I think what I love the most about Celeste is that the game's difficulty is paced extremely well. Yes, some of the execution challenges require precise timing, but the length of time you need to have perfect execution is kept relatively small. Also, the window for "perfect" is pretty forgiving (no frame-perfect inputs required). So if you hit a brick wall, just take a break and come back later.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what I love the most about Celeste is that the game's difficulty is paced extremely well. Yes, some of the execution challenges require precise timing, but the length of time you need to have perfect execution is kept relatively small. Also, the window for "perfect" is pretty forgiving (no frame-perfect inputs required). So if you hit a brick wall, just take a break and come back later.

Yep. And even within stages, there's a gradual difficulty increase as they demonstrate new mechanics and give you time to learn how to use them in increasingly complicated ways.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
The story disappointed me pretty hard, to the point that I don't have an interest in going back ever again. They did a fantastic job highlighting Madeline's internal and past external struggles and handled Badeline in an extremely satisfying way from both a story and gameplay perspective, but then the final few chapters happened where Madeline suddenly has it all "figured out" and Badeline becomes a hesitant and shy counterpart rather than the internal obstacle she'd served as all game.

IRL I don't believe these judgmental and self-destructive types of thoughts ever go away or become tame, especially not in such a short amount of time of being worked on. Would have much preferred to see Madeline learn to cope and not to care about such things than see it become another "baddie turned goodie"

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IRL I don't believe these judgmental and self-destructive types of thoughts ever go away or become tame, especially not in such a short amount of time of being worked on. Would have much preferred to see Madeline learn to cope and not to care about such things than see it become another "baddie turned goodie"

Badeline represents a defensive mechanism, not a self-destructive one.