• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I've never understood celebrity worship, but whatever floats your boat.

It's not just celebrities speaking more. There are people who made a dog video once a week now making one daily. All people with more time on their hands are going to swamp social media. Watch whatever makes your day better.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
hahahaha

Dude, the chances of you moving to LA to "hit it big" organically like that is like a million to one. You know better. These people are extremely lucky and are NOT the norm. For every one of them there's like 1000 failed artists who went back home after not being able to land any gigs and their day job doesn't cover the rent at all

That....was exactly my point. Thanks.

Yeah I don't think most posters on here are really referring to your friend even though I totally get where you're coming from in the sense that people in the industry (especially in the weeds) are for the most part regular folks. Like my gf's production was halted indefinitely and now she's out of a job. With how it is rn - for the foreseeable future too. Thankfully her showrunner fought for them to get paid to through the end of the month (everyone go support For All Mankind lol)

It does get annoying when this place gets very opinionated about industries it understands very little about but in this case I think it's just harmless shitting on actual out-of-touch celebrities. If the examples presented were using their status and wealth to spread awareness I think this thread would have turned out differently lol

Yes, I know. The point with my friend is with some breaks she could easily be one of the people others are shitting on in this thread. Like, the video with Ellen is her doing a shitty magic trick. This is somehow insulting to people? You also have people like Mark Ruffalo in the Gal Gadot video who does a lot for environmental intiatives.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Imagine video is one of the cringiest things I've seen in a while. I kind of dislike Gal Gadot now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't get the comments here... this forum yesterday was arguing about Animal Crossing vs. Doom logo

But yeah, please don't sing Imagine, it makes no sense.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
now their attention seeking has gone into overdrive.

poor celebrities stuck in their fancy houses. oh no. i am so concerned about how they are coping.

Feb 1, 2018
That....was exactly my point. Thanks.

(X) Doubt

Stop trying to "humanize" celebrities. You're completely ignoring the immense amounts of luck and privilege that's required to obtain that level of status in the entertainment industry. It sounds like some naive 20 year old film student's shit who still thinks they can make it big by hard work and talent. These people live in an entirely different world than you.

For every successful director/actor I know, I know 5 who had to move back to arizona or ohio or australia or whatever because it didn't pan out

Last edited:

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Imagine video is one of the cringiest things I've seen in a while. I kind of dislike Gal Gadot now.

Save your energy for people you know personally, not "hating" Gal Gadot. The same way there shouldn't be celebrity worship, people shouldn't also be bitterly proclaiming "oh boo hoo poor celebrities". They're people too. Should I not care that Tom Hanks and his wife have coronavirus? Fuck them! They have money!

When it comes to rich celebrities people tend to get a little jealous

*envious

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
unless they're writing fat ass checks to help in the pandemic I really don't give a fuck what they're doing.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

I don't mind celebs recording some nice messages but the Imagine video is just too much

kjMHyhQ.jpg

these people can't go more than a few days without attention on them. Like come on, the world is going to shit, celebrities don't matter

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not going to be bitter towards people who managed to make a successful career in entertainment because I know all too well how hard it can be to get to that point.

But whatever, if it makes you all feel better to talk shit about people because they've become successful, more power to you, I'm not about that life. I save my bitterness for people who are actually doing harm in this world.
What are you talking about dude... this isn't "bitterness" towards struggling entertainers who managed to find success despite all odds. Literally barking up the wrong tree here.

It's about this:
That Imagine video is going on my list of Worst Things in 2020.

I don't even get why they chose Imagine, as it's all about human strive and has zero relevance to the current situation. Also, a bunch of super rich people singing 'Imagine no possessions' in a situation where many people across the globe are getting laid off and losing their livelihood is some next level stupidity.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
What are you talking about dude... this isn't "bitterness" towards struggling entertainers who managed to find success despite all odds. Literally barking up the wrong tree here.

It's about this:

People were shitting on Ellen in this thread too. Because she filmed herself doing a shitty magic trick?

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I saw a tweet about how maybe this virus finally kills celebrity culture and I really think it's going to lessen it. Many people are realizing thag what these celebrities are doing on a daily basis is meaningless, like we'll still enjoy their art and talent but the absolute societal fawning over them might really change after all this.

Don't bet on it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
When I go out to get groceries, I have to wonder whether I'm infecting my 65 year old mother who I've instructed to stay home.

When Natalie Portman goes out to get some groceries, she doesn't go out for groceries.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Celebs doing cute videos have their mansions transformed into emergency hospitals, they can live in a tiny home somewhere on the lawn.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I can't speak for all of the videos, but some are just trying to add a bit of calm during these tough times. To help people keep their minds off of what is happening if even for a few minutes a day.

Some such as Conan, have made fun videos to help and has setup donations for each video. Here is one such example:

If some watch this and get some enjoyment out of it, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a tweet about how maybe this virus finally kills celebrity culture and I really think it's going to lessen it. Many people are realizing thag what these celebrities are doing on a daily basis is meaningless, like we'll still enjoy their art and talent but the absolute societal fawning over them might really change after all this.

Nah. Whatever the repercussions of this, it won't be anything good.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Despite "celebrity culture" no one has ever cared about their opinions. See every election cycle where celebrity endorsements are absolutely useless.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Despite "celebrity culture" no one has ever cared about their opinions. See every election cycle where celebrity endorsements are absolutely useless.
The fact that you do not think celebrity endorsement influence votes. Yeesh. A celebrity is LITERALLY THE LEADER OF ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL NATIONS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW!