• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll play Devil's Advocate here and give them some credit - a lot of these celebrities seem to have their hearts in the right place. However, there's just a running theme of a complete lack of self-awareness throughout a lot of these feel-good, "everything's gonna be fine!" videos. They come off as really tone-deaf as a result.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, living in a hilariously unequal society on the wrong side of the class divide can have that effect. Or maybe we should celebrate people who drift serenely on clouds of wealth and privilege while the masses have to waste decades in the rat race just to build lives of modest security and comfort.

If you want to live like them, go get a job acting or learn an instrument and write hit songs. Very few of these people had wealth handed to them. As someone who knows many actors and musicians it's a fucking HARD life to try to be successful in entertainment. Their money comes from people who freely pay to see them act or play music. Should all of that money go to the executives and not the actual performers?

Be happy for other humans that they've accomplished things in life instead of being bitter and jealous of others.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to live like them, go get a job acting or learn an instrument and write hit songs. Very few of these people had wealth handed to them. As someone who knows many actors and musicians it's a fucking HARD life to try to be successful in entertainment. Their money comes from people who freely pay to see them act or play music. Should all of that money go to the executives and not the actual performers?

Be happy for other humans that they've accomplished things in life instead of being bitter and jealous of others.
So, bootstraps. Luck and privilege are important factors. People don't choose to live miserable unfulfilling lives.

The notion that anyone who doesn't have what they want just needs to work harder is flawed. The hardest working person in the world is probably some single parent slaving away at three service jobs just to feed her family.

Mar 3, 2019
I mean yeah that galdot one is pure cringe and the kardashian one is trash tier, but the bitterness is weird. Everyone in the world is tweeting and snap chatting and instagramming from home right now, this is what you're gonna get when everyone is under quarantine. Is there some financial barometer you have to pass before you are allowed to tweet or something?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These poor souls. I hope they find new jobs when this is all over.
oj_costco-.jpg

I am not ready for Woke OJ lmao.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

really going for that "Worst Poster of the Thread" Award, huh?

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I could care less about millionaire celebrities in quarantine and wiping their diamond studded door knobs

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
really going for that "Worst Poster of the Thread" Award, huh?

I'm talking about real life. I know a lot of people in the entertainment industry. Most of them are struggling to put food on the table like everyone else. A dear friend just got a part in a TV show after barely working for 2 years and I was thrilled for her. Now production is shut down. I'm not going to be bitter towards people who managed to make a successful career in entertainment because I know all too well how hard it can be to get to that point.

But whatever, if it makes you all feel better to talk shit about people because they've become successful, more power to you, I'm not about that life. I save my bitterness for people who are actually doing harm in this world.

Feb 1, 2018
From just looking at the ceiling and glass behind Ellen as she's sitting on that patio chair I can tell that her house is probably fucking insane

Quarantine is easy when you're living in a bond villain mansion

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
Why should we care about over privileged rich people self isolating in their mansions whilst the vast majority of people are losing their livelihoods, homes, dignity etc?

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about real life. I know a lot of people in the entertainment industry. Most of them are struggling to put food on the table like everyone else. A dear friend just got a part in a TV show after barely working for 2 years and I was thrilled for her. Now production is shut down. I'm not going to be bitter towards people who managed to make a successful career in entertainment because I know all too well how hard it can be to get to that point.

But whatever, if it makes you all feel better to talk shit about people because they've become successful, more power to you, I'm not about that life. I save my bitterness for people who are actually doing harm in this world.
Way to miss the point entirely. They have no issue with the fact that they're actors or entertainers, it's the fact that they have enormous wealth and instead of using their enormous wealth for the benefit of those who are truly suffering from this pandemic, they pat themselves on the back.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

Why are you talking about your jobless friends in a thread about millionaire celebrities singing Imagine from their giant mansions and who undoubtedly have immediate access to the kind of testing and healthcare that normal people will have to struggle for?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Zach Braff and Donald Faison miss each other and Lesley Ann Brandt does a workout several times a day.
Apart from that I only know that Milner is sorting his teabags.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I have it in me to watch that imagine video all the way through. That shit is incredibly embarrassing.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's like missing the forest for the trees.
No one is talking about struggling actors here. We're talking about celebrities with loads of money that most of us will never see during our lifetime doing absolutely nothing when they think they're helping. Normally, most of us wouldn't give two shits about that, but we're in a pandemic. People are dying and losing their livelihoods and will continue to struggle for an unforeseeable amount of time. Resources and funds will be scarce and many of us will still have to pay our bills in fear that we might lose it all. Don't give me that "struggling actors are going through hardships" talk when absolutely no one was talking about that, EVERYONE is struggling.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Your friend hustling for TV right now isn't exactly the same as Ellen one of the most watched daytime hosts of the 2000's or Gal Gadot the poster woman for a billion dollar superhero property. And people work hard at a lot of jobs. People work hard to teach children and pick up trash and run restaurants. People are working hard in a lot of places all over the world and many work hard only to reach the bare minimum needed to stay alive. It's not about these people being successful. It's about their success being inequal and the obliviousness many in that position are to that inequality.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I mean yeah that galdot one is pure cringe and the kardashian one is trash tier, but the bitterness is weird. Everyone in the world is tweeting and snap chatting and instagramming from home right now, this is what you're gonna get when everyone is under quarantine. Is there some financial barometer you have to pass before you are allowed to tweet or something?
You have no clue what you're talking about. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes sometime.

They are just people, pay attention to them, don't pay attention to them. I just think the hostility is unwarranted.

The hostility and bitterness is because of the tone deaf nature of the posts.

I dont doubt that they had to work extremely hard and it was difficult to get to where they are. But when the majority of the country are losing their jobs, homes, loved ones, and are all terrified of the uncertainty around everything, I think most people feel like there is a lack of empathy.

"Oh lets sing imagine, we will all be fine" comes off as hollow and unaware of the severity of everything.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That imagine video might one of the worst group - tone deaf - least self-aware things I've ever seen. Holy crap! lol

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow, some of you are such bitter petty people.

Pointing out the sheer absurdity of celebrities in their mansions acting like they are 'one of us' when hundreds are currently dying on ICU beds all around the globe and people are afraid not getting a paycheck next week to feed their families is not being 'petty.

I'll applaud any celeb that is actually doing something positive and helping people out in their own local community. But in this current time of crisis, they certainly aren't owed our attention and the lavish fawning they usually receive. We have our own problems.

The same way watching celebs can instill comfort in some, they similarly instill a realization of the absolute harshness and inequality of life in others. That kind of added frustration we could do without.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Jake Johnson, who voiced Peter B. Parker in Into the Spider-Verse, is doing this.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
How about they donate some money to help procure more tests, masks, medical equipment.

Money, in the short term, isn't why we don't have these things. There's money there already. It's lack of supply. But what celebs could be doing is helping keep some of these struggling businesses afloat, donating to food banks and shelters, things like that where their money will still have an impact.

Feb 1, 2018
If you want to live like them, go get a job acting or learn an instrument and write hit songs.

hahahaha

Dude, the chances of you moving to LA to "hit it big" organically like that is like a million to one. You know better. These people are extremely lucky and are NOT the norm. For every one of them there's like 1000 failed artists who went back home after not being able to land any gigs and their day job doesn't cover the rent at all

We're not even including the fact that many of them simply got their careers through nepotism or just straight up bought their opportunities with existing wealth. Even the Kardashians got a head start, sure they were upper middle class and selling clothes in a strip mall in the valley in the 00's but their dad was OJ's lawyer.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why should we care about over privileged rich people self isolating in their mansions whilst the vast majority of people are losing their livelihoods, homes, dignity etc?

This is fair, but everybody is doing this stuff on their social media. Sharing inspiring stories, music, tips on dealing with the quarantine, talking about how bored they are. The celebrities just get more attention for it because they have more followers. They could be doing a lot more to help right now though, and I think that's what people want to see from the wealthy instead of music videos.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Yeah I don't think most posters on here are really referring to your friend even though I totally get where you're coming from in the sense that people in the industry (especially in the weeds) are for the most part regular folks. Like my gf's production was halted indefinitely and now she's out of a job. With how it is rn - for the foreseeable future too. Thankfully her showrunner fought for them to get paid to through the end of the month (everyone go support For All Mankind lol)

It does get annoying when this place gets very opinionated about industries it understands very little about but in this case I think it's just harmless shitting on actual out-of-touch celebrities. If the examples presented were using their status and wealth to spread awareness I think this thread would have turned out differently lol

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hahahaha

Dude, the chances of you moving to LA to "hit it big" organically like that is like a million to one. You know better. These people are extremely lucky and are NOT the norm. For every one of them there's like 1000 failed artists who went back home after not being able to land any gigs and their day job doesn't cover the rent at all

We're not even including the fact that many of them simply got their careers through nepotism or just straight up bought their opportunities with existing wealth. Even the Kardashians got a head start, sure they were upper middle class and selling clothes in a strip mall in the valley in the 00's but their dad was OJ's lawyer.
for real
success isn't just about working hard

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Bruh if I had a mansion or a big ass penthouse like these rich folk do I'd be running all up and down the shit, hopping over sofa's, playing pretend.

Shit is hard to do in a small apartment.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Must suck to be stuck in a giant house with a bunch of money so you can afford to have anything delivered and enjoy the finest quality of whatever indoor passion you have. Or having a large yard so you can stretch your legs and avoid going stir-crazy.

I feel so bad for them.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I saw a tweet about how maybe this virus finally kills celebrity culture and I really think it's going to lessen it. Many people are realizing thag what these celebrities are doing on a daily basis is meaningless, like we'll still enjoy their art and talent but the absolute societal fawning over them might really change after all this.
We can only hope, but no fucking way. Get real.

Celebrity worship is Americas new religion and it won't stop.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't mind celebs recording some nice messages but the Imagine video is just too much