• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
DKC 2 is my favorite game of all-time. DKC 1 is great too but DKC 2 was really something special. The whole trilogy holds up so well too though, I play through them all every year or two and they're still a blast.
Same, I have to go for that 101%/102%/103% every so often.
Ninty should surprise release DKC on SNES Online!

Madison You could! I love me some DK64.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's amazing how many details in DKC1 I take for granted relative to the time of its release, Andre highlighted the goods

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
And the capstone video on DKC's 25th anniversary:

Kudos to GameXplain for the week's worth of great insightful interviews, this is the pinnacle of what gaming media can be. It's unfortunate that the fans and former developers have to pick up the slack so hard in celebrating DK as a brand, with Nintendo not even able to muster a happy anniversary tweet for the series that put one of their oldest icons back on the map. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.

This video makes me salivate wondering just what craziness Rare could have pulled off if DKC2 or DKC3 has used the FX2 or SA-1 chips. *mind blown*

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You guys should try this on your copy of Donkey Kong Country and see what happens:

- On the game selection screen, highlight "Delete Game".
- Enter DARBYDAY (where D is d-pad Down). This cheat will enable the music test mode. You can now cycle songs by pressing Select.
- Delete any save slot (even an empty one).
- Go back on "Delete Game" again and press Select again to change to the next song.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
This GameXplain coverage has been something else! Thank you all so much!

When I first saw DKC when I was 6 years old I was determined to run like an ape as fluidly and comfortably as DK and Diddy did in the game. I kept that practice up my entire life but it wasn't until I was 19 that I learned of a kungfu monkey style that encouraged running on your hands and like primate! I was no longer the fool of society I was just in the wrong culture!

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happy 25th to one of the best damn game trilogies out there.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Really happy to see the original development team along with Rare themselves celebrating this game's anniversary on Twitter. It really was the start of me becoming a fan of so many of their games and worlds.

I like how they just ignore DKC3 lol

No one seems to care about DK64 being 20 years old tomorrow :c

Perhaps I should make that OT

I was actually thinking of possibly making the OT for DK64, but I do have work tomorrow for several hours, so you can do it if you want lol.

I was actually going to make the thread for DKC1 if nobody else had made it, but that's been taken care of too. :p

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the most important game in my life. Loved it as a kid and loved working on it later. Just lots of love for the series in general.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
This GameXplain coverage is fantastic! Loved DKC, one of the defining games of my childhood. Thanks for all the great memories.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Are we ignoring Retro's efforts? Or do you just mean Rare specifically?
Those aren't Donkey Kong Country games. They're a cheap imitation.

(granted they're just not for me and they're probably good games, but for me they gutted all the good things about the original games and turned them into a mediocre platformer with shadows of hints of the magic that made the originals so good)

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Andre's video on the immersion in this game. Really good points about the details such as how the intro and outer areas of each level segues into the next, or how the first two levels cover an entire day and night. There's a magic to the world of this game that few games capture, the mostly invisible HUD is another good example of it.

Replaying DKC1 on SNES Classic and currently to world 3. Definitely filling me back up with a lot of happy memories!

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
So many childhood memories. Remember when I first saw DKC2 with a friend, the visuals and music were so amazing, made me really want to play it.

Now it really deserves more love from Nintendo.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
An oldie but relevant and fantastic video from Digital Foundry

OP
OP
Uglier Rare Character
Jan 8, 2018
To the person who said they didn't talk about DKC3 as much, I believe by that point the Rare A-team was working on DK64, leaving a different group of folks to take the helm for DKC3. Still a great game, of course, a lot more puzzle-based platforming and weird level concepts.

One more video to round out the night:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Those aren't Donkey Kong Country games. They're a cheap imitation.

(granted they're just not for me and they're probably good games, but for me they gutted all the good things about the original games and turned them into a mediocre platformer with shadows of hints of the magic that made the originals so good)

Bro... the Retro platformers are anything but mediocre. Especially Tropical Freeze.

I mean, I still prefer the general aesthetic and style of the Rare trilogy, DKC2 is a damn near top 5 game for me, but to call the Retro games mediocre is mindboggling to me. I challenge you to show me any 2D platformer released in the last console generation with level design and presentation as ambitious as them.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
To the person who said they didn't talk about DKC3 as much, I believe by that point the Rare A-team was working on DK64, leaving a different group of folks to take the helm for DKC3. Still a great game, of course, a lot more puzzle-based platforming and weird level concepts.

One more video to round out the night:

Actually, the team that made DKC1 and 2 moved onto Project Dream which became Banjo Kazooie. DKC3 was moved to a different team, and the team responsible for DKC3 was the one that moved onto DK64.