• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 8, 2018

It's been great hearing from all the old hats at Rare in GameXplain's recent DKC coverage. The way the Rare folks reflect on the series, it feels like they never expected the series to explode in the way it did during the mid-to-late 90s. They'd be too humble to admit it, but they essentially salvaged the character of Donkey Kong at a time when Nintendo didn't seem to have much else in mind beyond arcade throwbacks, by creating a brand around him with their vibrant cast of characters and worlds.

Fingers crossed we see more Donkey Kong content in the coming months and years. Nintendo has been mum on the series for what seems like ages but have so many directions they could go, from SNES DKC ports for Switch, a refurbished HD DKC Returns or the "new Donkey Kong experience" Reggie alluded to years ago, as soon as they want to take the time to invest in the brand's future.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Whoa. 25 years.

I remember a girl in my fourth grade class got it at launch and I was so jealous. It was the one thing I wanted for Christmas and it was sold out everywhere.

My mom ended up getting my aunt in Seattle to buy it and send it before Christmas.

Still one of my favorite games of all time. 2 doesn't carry the same nostalgia for me

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact the Donkey Kong in DKC is actually the grandson of the original character from the old arcade games. The original appears in DKC as Cranky Kong.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
DKC 2 is my favorite game of all-time. DKC 1 is great too but DKC 2 was really something special. The whole trilogy holds up so well too though, I play through them all every year or two and they're still a blast.

Apr 24, 2018
I still remember getting a VHS preview tape for the game from Nintendo before release. My parents wouldn't let me open that tape for the longest time since they couldn't verify who sent it (this was also when I got to learn that NOA was based in Redmond, which was good enough for my parents). Begged for the game for Christmas and got it. Easily the game I've beaten the most in my life. By the end, I could routinely finish the game in under 2.5 hours with 95% or so, and no more than three deaths - not because I was particularly skilled at the game, only because I had played it so much.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting the VHS for this game and thinking it was fake.

DKC2 is an all time classic.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I have so, so, so much love for this series. Can't believe it's already been 25 years. Jesus. I still remember getting that Nintendo Power insider VHS in the mail that was all about hyping up DKC. It's peak '90s and just bursting with cringe, but I still love it to this day.

DKC 2 is still the best in the series and one of the greatest platformers of all time, but the entire series is a treasure and I hope we see another DKC title from Nintendo sooner rather than later.

Also, Dixie rocks and it's insane that she still hasn't made it into Smash -- even as an echo of Diddy -- but that's a different discussion for a different thread...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This forum is intent on making me feel old as fuck it seems.

DKC1 was a mindblowing experience back in 1994. The SNES putting out those graphics beggared belief and the music sounded incredible. It wasn't the deepest platformer but it was solid fun.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
The original trilogy is probably my favorite game series of all time. I have nothing but good memories of these games.

Congratulations, and thank you for all those magical moments.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Along with Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart, the original Donkey Kong Country was one of the first video games I ever played. This game shaped a lot of my love for video games and sucked me into another world which felt mindblowing to me, like it was a movie come to life.

There's so much I love about the gameplay from chaining rolls and cartwheels, the satisfaction of a well timed barrel throw, the minecart, and the animal buddies. Then in such a short amount of time we had gotten DKC2, DKC3, and Diddy Kong Racing, and it became this franchise that is synonymous with video games in my heart.

Just want to give a quick shout out to Gamexplain too that I'm really loving their coverage of the 25th anniversary, and getting together with some of the creative minds behind the series. The inception of the first game is always crazy to me, because as a kid I never thought of there being a "Donkey Kong" before this series, so it's kind of crazy what kind of things Rareware were thinking about when making Country.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a huge fan of the original DK trilogy in the early '80s, it was great to see the franchise return with GB DK and DKC. I borrowed DKC shortly after it came out and got it for Christmas 1994. I still don't rank it as high as the 16-bit Sonic and Mario games but it was really well made. They nailed the controls and atmosphere. And the music is often in my head.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I got Donkey Kong Country with a Super Nintendo bundle in 1994, first game console I paid for with my own money. My whole family spent that whole evening playing the game together, it's one of my happiest game memories with my family that I'll never forget. Still one of my favorite platformers ever as well, the game has a very specific rhythm to the platforming I think only Super Mario Bros. 3 gets close to, where playing the levels is almost like playing music.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
kongssurpriseparty.gif

Jan 11, 2018
Happy Birthday to the big gorilla. Loved the original trilogy growing up, and then Retro modernized it and made it better than ever. What I wouldn't give for DKC 6 or something brand new...

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
We've got another special interview coming later, you would be Wise to watch!
Edit: Damn it Andre made the same pun a few posts earlier

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to GameXplain's 25th anniversary celebrations of Kiddy Kong in two years' time.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
One of my favorite games of all time. A truly amazing platformer with lovely atmospheric visuals, satisfying platforming, amazing music and tons and tons of secrets to discover.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for celebrating my fave series, and props again to gamexplain for delivering celebratory content.

So my dumb story about that fabled VHS tape, I was around 4 or 5 and still entrenched in an unwavering love for all things Thomas the tank engine. My dad being the eternal penny pincher he is tried to counter my whining about a new video by desperately grabbing a newspaper that came with the DKC video like "look, you can have this", safe to say I wasn't appeased.

And that DKC VHS tape went on to be recorded over numerous times, though it's short runtime made it useless for most things, I never actually saw the original Kong content on it.
So here I am today, a man who much prefers his Kong to his tank engine thinking, "shit, I should've watched it at least once".

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These games were so amazing to play as a kid, and they are still fun today. Not to mention they feature some of the greatest game music ever.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a kid i always wanted
My own version of cranky's arcade, especially with the KI cabinet. This room is like a 90's kids dream

latest

i first played dkc when i was 5 at my cousins. I had a snes at home but i didnt have dkc. I was always excited to go to this cousins just to play donkey kong country. One day she let me borrow it and i got to play it at home for like a week which was incredibly exciting. Then for my sixth birthday i got two new super nintendo games. One was super mario all stars, and the other was dkc 2. I didnt even know that dkc 2 existed at that point so you can imagine my immense surprise when i unwrapped that package. I pretty much dropped every other game i had including
Mario world, lion king, jurassic park, and magical quest starring mickey mouse, just to play dkc 2 exclusively. I was so enthralled by its visuals, music, and atmosphere, and the platforming was some of the best id ever experienced. I was dissapointed at first that i couldnt play as dk but i learned to love dixie and everything she brought to the table, she was a blast to play with. I never played 3 and didnt play another dkc game til tropical freeze, but im always going to love dkc 2.

Last edited:

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The first video game I've ever played. There is a video of me playing it at 4yo. My most beloved game and I'm so lucky that this introduced me to the medium. Between the characters cool visuals and of course the music.

OP
OP
Uglier Rare Character
Jan 8, 2018
Aww yeah, it's great to hear that Wise is open to working on a future DK game, though unfortunate that Nintendo doesn't appear to have been in touch with him. They could probably use Retro as an intermediary to bring him onboard, though it may be the case that they want an internal Japanese composer for any game they're developing in-house.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd LOVE a complete retro collection/anthology Switch cart with the SNES and GB games and some museum type stuff like art, music, commercials, etc.

I don't listen to a lot of older videogame OSTs, but DKC1 and 2's are among them for sure.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This game came out about 3 years before I was born. There. That should make you guys feel even older. Always wished I was older enough to have experienced that era of video games. Must've been one hell of a time.

Here's the promotional VHS tape that a few other posters have mentioned in this thread. It deserves to be posted on such a special occasion.

Always loved this and other Nintendo VHS tapes they used to send out back in those days lol. It's kinda sad how many of the people in this video aren't at Nintendo anymore. Then again, it has been freaking 25 years, so go figure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest 2D platforming series. I fondly remember buying DKC1 from my local Virgin Megastore (not 30 mins drive from Rare it turns out!) back in 1995 or whatever it was. It came with a compilation CD called Go Ape! which featured DK adjacent bands such as Primal Scream and Radiohead. Wild.

It looked like the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, 25 years. It was the first game I ever played, and the original trilogy still looms large over every platformer ever released in my mind.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Happy 25 years to one of the finest pieces of art ever produced by human hands. I hope that nothing lasts of this era of human civilization besides the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, a SNES, and a CRT TV. The people of the future will know all they need to know.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm anxiously waiting to see if Nintendo drops the DKC games onto SNES Online today.

It would make sense then why they are absent from the service since launch.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Love this game and 2 and 3. I think I'm due a new play-through again soon. Maybe on my n3DS or Vita via Homebrew. I also have the trilogy on GBA.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Donkey Kong Country at a Sears (ask your parents) back in the 90's, and I just knew right away that I needed this game. The memories I had playing that game were amazing. As a kid I loved the mini-games with the animals as it reminded me of that coin level in Super Mario World.

DKC 2 was a lot of fun as well. I loved playing as Dixie Kong and being able to float in the air.

DKC 3 was secretly my favorite as a kid. What really drew me towards the game as a kid was the open-ish world where you move around in vehicles.

This trilogy is up there for me with my favorite trilogies of all time, and I'm not talking about video games. I hold the Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy on the same level as the Original Trilogy and the Lord of the Rings.

Also, shoutout to all of the minecart levels! There is no such thing as a Donkey Kong game without them!

P.S- Still waiting on that shadow drop on the SNES Online App Nintendo.......

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original Donkey Kong Country trilogy are some of my favourite platformers ever.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I just so happen to be playing through DKC Returns currently in co-op. I never made it very far on the Wii. We're playing on Wii U now with the SNES Classic controllers and having a BLAST.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Finally finished up what I've been working on for a week: why I think DKC was so damn memorable.

Happy birthday Donkey Kong Country!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy to see the original development team along with Rare themselves celebrating this game's anniversary on Twitter. It really was the start of me becoming a fan of so many of their games and worlds.

OP
OP
Uglier Rare Character
Jan 8, 2018
And the capstone video on DKC's 25th anniversary:

Kudos to GameXplain for the week's worth of great insightful interviews, this is the pinnacle of what gaming media can be. It's unfortunate that the fans and former developers have to pick up the slack so hard in celebrating DK as a brand, with Nintendo not even able to muster a happy anniversary tweet for the series that put one of their oldest icons back on the map. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.