• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mary Marvel, first distaff counterpart in comics and popular enough to have her own books long before Supergirl ever did.

Mary-Marvel-DC-Comics.jpg

She's also fond of laughing at the thought of bullets harming her.

1839560-marymarvelbullets.jpg

1839561-marymarveleats.jpg

Funny you should mention Supergirl. Otto Binder co-created both Supergirl AND Mary Marvel. (Binder later had a daughter named Mary. And... that story is too sad for this thread...)

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of good stuff mentioned (especially AoA which is killing it with representation for both Asians and women) so I am going to drop a character I love for her evolution, Titania.

Started as just a female version of villain who is strong but with a head full of rocks and evolved to the degree of working for gamma flight since villainy is a dead end career path, and on her own pretty much got Creel ( Carl, the absorbing man) rehabilitated both career wise and from drug addiction.
Titania is awesome. She's 100% ride or die for her man without compromising herself as a person morally and you gotta love that about her. Once you get Titania in your corner, you have her. I absolutely loved Joshua Williamson's Illuminati run which ran way too short (only 7 issues! The hell!) and got cancelled, but Titania was the straightman (or straightwoman, rather) on the team and it was brilliant. She was also played up as Thor's rival when Jane Foster was Thor, which was dope, too.

illuminati2015-004-01yzpwa.jpg

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Strix from DC Comics

A former Talon for the Court of Owls. Talons are assassins that are recruited over the decades through Haly's Circus (sometimes Blackgate Prison's very own death row, even though that one turned out poorly). When made a Talon one is injected with a special serum that effectively makes them undead. They can be killed, but through special means.

Mary Tuner, codename Strix (Latin for Owl), is a Talon who was a young African-American girl during World War 2 when Japan sent paper balloon bombs out across the sea. One of them made it to Californa and it blew up, killing her family while they were out on a picnic and rendering her mute. She got picked up by Haly's Circus on its travels, and when it got back to Gotham City, the Court of Owls took a liking to her as their next Talon. Cut to 2010s and she got let loose during the Night of Owls, an all out attack by the Court on Gotham. She encounters Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) and Catwoman (Selina Kyle) and bonds with them. Through this and one more incident where the Talons break out she decides to go figure herself out. She joins the Birds of Prey for awhile, but that doesn't really work, and the Birds disband so she goes off on her own and eventually gets caught up with a new weird family in the Secret Six. As far as I know she's still living with Ralph and Sue Dibny in their backyard.

Recommended reading:
Batgirl (2011-2016) #9
Batgirl (2011-2016) Annual #1
Batgirl (2011-2016) #28
Batgirl (2011-2016) #29
Batgirl (2011-2016) #34
Secret Six (2014-2016) Vol 1: Friends in Low Places
Secret Six (2014-2016) Vol 2: The Gauntlet

I can't recommend the Birds of Prey run she's in. It's just not very good.

Oct 26, 2017
What's the story here? Is this from the Superior Spider-Man run?

It was from the original Secret Wars, where Spider-Man was just handing L's out to everybody. Basically she was high off beating some heavy hitters and he used his superior speed and agility (as well as not inconsiderable strength) to mop the floor with her. Later appearances played her up as being legitimately terrified of him because he'd done it so easily.

1795410428_198f0e9c39_o.jpg

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Jean Grey!
Original X-Man. Badass. Finally told the Phoenix to GTFO. Weaponized empathy in X-Men Red. Poly-queen with the best boys in Hickman's run. She's been hitting it out of the park the last few years.

latest

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I know she's already been mentioned. But my first non X-Men comic was this.

clean.jpg

Had to buy it, she was going to rip up my X-Men books!!

And while I grew up with the Sensational She-Hulk. I have to say I have grown to really like this version.

And I hope they find a happy mid ground in her upcoming TV show.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some series I loved:
Zatanna's series from about a decade ago.
Power Girl's series from a similar era.
Ms. Marvel
Starfire from a few years ago
Kate's Hawkeye series
Alias/Jessica Jones
Stargirl
I Kill Giants

Ice from JLI

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Marionette, the best thing to come out of Doomsday Clock.

latest

Basically an upgraded Harley Quinn. Less insane and no baggage with the Joker.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I nominated her as my favourite of the X-Women in a recent thread: Sage.

A woman whose power is her incredible intellect and ability to retain large swathes of data.

Had a bit of an odd introduction into the series with the retcon of her being the Hellfire Club's Tessa, but soon became a firm favourite in my big X-Men readthrough. It's just a shame she has often been left alone for years at a time, recently not appearing in any X-titles for around five years until Dawn Of X , having appeared back on Earth after interdimensional adventuring and nobody asking what she was up to. 🤦‍♀️

xbtwWT2.jpg

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Marionette is completely different from Harley and only similar in aesthetics. They're very different characters.
Sure, she has a completely different origin, she's basically sane and her motivations are also 100% different. Still reminded me of a sane and more grounded Harley for quite a bit of the run, maybe more similar to Telltale's Harley than how she usually is portrayed in comics and animation.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always disappointed when I don't see Kate Spencer/Manhunter noted in these kind of topics. Such a great character. Easily up there as one of my favorites.

169e1abce9cf3f5b7ad42735202ac59a.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Zealot of Wildstorm fame. She's effectively that universes Wonder Woman (her universes Superman, Mr Majestic, is behind her), except way less strong and much more murdery. She also has indestructible swords made from the machine that forged the multiverse that can cut through anything. She also hails from a warrior culture so proficient, they can talk to each other with melee combat.

Yeah, that's right, she's so good at fighting, her kicks speak sentences. The most violent sign language ever.

Also, she did this to Batman.

bOcOeaa.jpg
4LH8djq.jpg
NEU49Vp.jpg
93Y10Ia.jpg
sE6hXLv.jpg

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I nominated her as my favourite of the X-Women in a recent thread: Sage.

A woman whose power is her incredible intellect and ability to retain large swathes of data.

Had a bit of an odd introduction into the series with the retcon of her being the Hellfire Club's Tessa, but soon became a firm favourite in my big X-Men readthrough. It's just a shame she has often been left alone for years at a time, recently not appearing in any X-titles for around five years until Dawn Of X , having appeared back on Earth after interdimensional adventuring and nobody asking what she was up to. 🤦‍♀️

xbtwWT2.jpg
Sage's character is so awesome. Basically a telepathic living computer that was subjugated by Sebastian Shaw. Not even having a name, only the one he gave her. Only to free herself and become more.

She has has been one of my favorite X-Women.

Shout out to Jubilee!

ulzx3jan7jc21.jpg

Chinese American child born of immigrants. They named her Jubilation for the feeling they had when she was born.

Parents died. She lived in a mall and was a literal mall rat. Was attacked by mutant hunters and saved by Rogue, Storm, Psylocke and Dazzler.

Walked through Gateway's portal and saved Wolverine from crucifixion and became a staple of both the X-Men and Generation X.

Then was depowered. Became Wondra of the New Warriors with tech powers.

Was turned into a into a vampire during the mutant war with the vampires.

Became a single mom when she adopted a orphaned baby (while being a vampire.)

Restored to mortality and an active X-Gene.

And that's not even getting into her solo series.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't have a thread celebrating women in comics without bringing up Death herself. There aren't that many characters I can think of that are equally as likely to be cosplayed as they are tattooed on people.

If this was the Death in Marvel, everyone would get why Thanos had the hots for her. 🤔

e1aaca6002d17e0d1995f7fec57bcd08.jpg

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Can't have a thread celebrating women in comics without bringing up Death herself. There aren't that many characters I can think of that are equally as likely to be cosplayed as they are tattooed on people.

If this was the Death in Marvel, everyone would get why Thanos had the hots for her. 🤔

e1aaca6002d17e0d1995f7fec57bcd08.jpg
To be fair Marvel's Death also appears like this sometimes.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Black Cat! Marvel's very own cat-burglar.
Always had a sweet spot for her ever since her on and off again relationship with Spidey, but I really do think she's grown into her own over the years. Especially enjoy her latest ongoing comic. It's great fun.
black-cat-4-01.jpg

black-cat-4-02.jpg

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Jane Thor is one of my favorites, but since shes already been posted how about some Captain Britain Betsy!

Such an awesome idea to differentiate Betsy and Psylocke in this new era of X-Men.

EXCALIBUR-1-35-e1572619458372.png

Captain-Britain-Versus-Psylocke.jpg

aJZW1LY-.png

And some Harley Quinn for Messi

Harley-Quinn-Different-Women-White-Knight.jpg

Punchline-DC-podcaster.jpg

bwk6.jpg

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Jane Thor is one of my favorites, but since shes already been posted how about some Captain Britain Betsy!

Such an awesome idea to differentiate Betsy and Psylocke in this new era of X-Men.

aJZW1LY-.png

And some Harley Quinn for Messi

Harley-Quinn-Different-Women-White-Knight.jpg

Punchline-DC-podcaster.jpg

bwk6.jpg

This is an act of war.

Also none of these have the right eye color.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

aJZW1LY-.png
Betsy was always one of my favorite X-Men (of course I am also a fan of the Braddock family in general so take that as you will). Never liked nor understood the whole "she's Asian now" bullshit, it was insulting. I eventually got used to it but I love where they have it now, I get the true Betsy and as CB no less, and if you exclude Fallen Angels I really like where they have been going with Kwannon too.

As for hype Betsy moments, and where I looked up to her to start (and is pretty character defining and badass in its own right) is when she went one on one with Sabertooth in the tunnels during the Morlock Massacre. Betsy dont play.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm not a big Carol Danvers historian, I do want to call big ups to Kelly Thompson's current run on the character. I've never cared much for Carol and only bothered to check it out because Kelly Thompson was writing it, and while she's still not an absolute favorite of mine this comic has been incredible and was one of my favorites of last year. From a great supporting cast in Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), Hazmat, War Machine (James Rhodes), Jessica Jones, and most recently her very own half-sister Lauri-Ell the Accuser.

This run defined her character as someone who is tactical, powerful, smart, and a leader. Someone who has her demons and insecurities and fights every day not to give in. From her alcoholism, to her past as part-Kree, to having been experimented on, to trying to repent for Civil War 2, she's constantly fighting to be better than the things she's done. And the book is never edgy, which I love about it.

I think Captain Marvel: The End is an incredibly beautiful issue.
I also want to shout out to a villain from that same run, Star. Ripley Ryan was a reporter who was paid to cover Carol Danvers for a day and emded up getting caught up in another dimension and almost died.

A lot.

Traumatized she turned herself into a living weapon and tried to kill Carol, but Carol beat her by tearing Ripley's heart out. It killed her (Carol was under the impression it didn't since when she carted off she was still alive), but only for a moment because she came back to life, her heart now replaced with the Reality Stone.

Through a series of event ls involving the Black Order, Scarlet Witch, Carol Danvers, and Jessica Jones, Ripley decides to become the supervillain Star

Because fuck everyone else when you have the power to do whatever you want.

Great series and I highly recommend the read.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Black Cat! Marvel's very own cat-burglar.
Always had a sweet spot for her ever since her on and off again relationship with Spidey, but I really do think she's grown into her own over the years. Especially enjoy her latest ongoing comic. It's great fun.
black-cat-4-01.jpg

black-cat-4-02.jpg

It's funny, I've had a friend since high school named Felicia Hardy who has liked dying her hair white since we were in college and has had the most insane good luck in life (seriously we have like twenty stories about her and her good luck). Great character, she was a real foil back in the 90's comics when I was a kid.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I'm not a big Carol Danvers historian, I do want to call big ups to Kelly Thompson's current run on the character. I've never cared much for Carol and only bothered to check it out because Kelly Thompson was writing it, and while she's still not an absolute favorite of mine this comic has been incredible and was one of my favorites of last year. From a great supporting cast in Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), Hazmat, War Machine (James Rhodes), Jessica Jones, and most recently her very own half-sister Lauri-Ell the Accuser.

This run defined her character as someone who is tactical, powerful, smart, and a leader. Someone who has her demons and insecurities and fights every day not to give in. From her alcoholism, to her past as part-Kree, to having been experimented on, to trying to repent for Civil War 2, she's constantly fighting to be better than the things she's done. And the book is never edgy, which I love about it.

I think Captain Marvel: The End is an incredibly beautiful issue.

I also want to shout out to a villain from that same run, Star. Ripley Ryan was a reporter who was paid to cover Carol Danvers for a day and emded up getting caught up in another dimension and almost died.

A lot.

Traumatized she turned herself into a living weapon and tried to kill Carol, but Carol beat her by tearing Ripley's heart out. It killed her (Carol was under the impression it didn't since when she carted off she was still alive), but only for a moment because she came back to life, her heart now replaced with the Reality Stone.

Through a series of event ls involving the Black Order, Scarlet Witch, Carol Danvers, and Jessica Jones, Ripley decides to become the supervillain Star

Because fuck everyone else when you have the power to do whatever you want.

Great series and I highly recommend the read.
I'm going to second this, Star was a really fun read.

As for Carol I will never really get over the fact I liked her the most as Binary, partly I liked the change, partly that for decades Claremont was the only writer who didn't use/view her as a punching bag.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
In the grand scheme, you're right. In the aforementioned context, no.

48d0129310b8d3aa14a0acaf84288447.png

Monet doesn't get enough love. Yes, she's a flying brick with telepathy (and shapeshifting!) who comes off as full of herself rather than being a self assured person because life is sometimes shit and to get through it you have to wade through the shit and come to the understanding that you're a capable person, but flying bricks are cool and Monet is cool.

Can't wait for her co-starring role in X-Corp.

And even though I haven't really read the series that much, I'm going to give her a shoutout because it's not Marvel/DC and the concept is somewhat interesting.

0278b59d7416dcde5ca6afaf7189a590_large.jpg

The Magdalena. She's a descendant of Jesus trained as an assassin by the Pope to kill demons and shit.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to second this, Star was a really fun read.

As for Carol I will never really get over the fact I liked her the most as Binary, partly I liked the change, partly that for decades Claremont was the only writer who didn't use/view her as a punching bag.

I'll third it. Kelly Thompson is crushing it right now. She's delivering a really emotional Black Widow story as well. Her Carol run is so much fun & she created an awesome villain in Star.