• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Stormfront users would get a fucking heart attack if they would open the forums and see half the threads are in chinese

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Epic tainted the PC market with utter crap. This is the bed they made, so I can't blame pc gamers for wanting to watch them sleep in it, especially when even in this very thread people are still trying to downplay the problems with Epics approach. It's Epic's fault you are collateral damage in those kinds of celebrations, OP.

But it sounds like it will come to the store anyways OP, so you should be good on that front.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, this is kind of a perfect example of how Epic could legitimately compete and offer a service/feature that Steam doesn't.

The best companies compete by taking advantage of market inefficiencies. These things do exist but, instead, their version is just paying for all these games and offering almost nothing else in return except spite to the consumers.

Motorbreath

Feb 19, 2018
I agree with the OP... I just bought Journey for 5€ the other day. There is no way in hell it would get the same price on Steam, even with the Steam sales which have sucked for the last 5 years. I have 3500 games on Steam but I am glad competition in form of EGS has arrived to bring in fresh waters to the PC games front.
People are acting like its a personal attack on them if the EGS bought Metro exclusivity. These are all big corporations, and should I feel sorry about Steam losing some games to EGS? Sorry, but no. Should I be sorry if Baldurs Gate 3 is not coming to EGS? Nah, the game will probably cost 59,99€ on Steam and there is no way in hell I am paying that price in my region with my income on a game. So I will wait for the heavy discount or not buy it at all.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I reported a guy for doxxing me on their profile for months and they didn't do anything so maybe valve doesn't really care at all

Actually - just to call out "Steam doesn't Moderate" - just the other day, a user here - InquisitorAles, mentioned on discord how someone was plagiarising his long form reviews - it took less than 10 minutes for 6 reports to get the reviews and user banned, and we mused of how this would be a fun example to point out. I'm sure he can verify that for you.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually - just to call out "Steam doesn't Moderate" - just the other day, a user here - InquisitorAles, mentioned on discord how someone was plagiarising his long form reviews - it took less than 10 minutes for 6 reports to get the reviews and user banned, and we mused of how this would be a fun example to point out. I'm sure he can verify that for you.
Good to know that reviews are more important than my deadname and address

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I can also add more. I saw someone who had their profile all themed with Mussolini stuff while checking something in the War Thunder forums. I reported the profile, less than an hour later I got a response saying they'd taken action. I checked and that person was now in the default "blank slate" profile mode.
Not the first time something I reported was swiftly dealt with either, but it's the most recent case I have in mind.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): antagonizing another member over their experiences with harassment and doxxing
Good to know that reviews are more important than my deadname and address

Post the steam ticket to prove it. It's super easy to do, as you should know.

Here's what I got:

rPa9IWe.jpg

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You can buy Steam keys for cheaper from stores other than Steam though, do people not use those options or is there some limitation I'm overlooking? You can't do that with EGS apparently.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, Epic is using the same tactics Amazon did to gain the edge in the market. The very same ones. The less power or marketshare they have, the better.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
You can buy Steam keys for cheaper from stores other than Steam though, do people not use those options or is there some limitation I'm overlooking? You can't do that with EGS apparently.

In most cases , Regionally priced EGS is still cheaper than even CDkeys by a fair amount at launch

Last edited:

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
It's transparent is what it is. I stand by the opinion that a lot of the complaints about the epic store (not all) are down to system wars and not genuine concern about ethics or consumer rights.

This 1000x.

For some, it obviously started as a "I hate Fortnite, therefore I hate Epic Games, therefore I hate whatever it's trying to do here with its own storefront." Add in a dash of brand loyalty and the exclusives stuff just provided a poor rationalization for the hate masked as an anti-consumer fight. (Yes I know this isn't everyone. And definitely not you, person who is reading this and saying, "But not me!")

And to be clear, I don't play Fortnite, haven't bought anything on EGS, and have a massive Steam library. But the majority of the Epic Game Store argument is damn silly.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The EGS exclusivity push has just soured the storefront for many people including myself. It's just the reality. Epic Games had enough money to make a high quality storefront with all the features of Steam. Instead they rushed it out the door knowing it was anemic in almost every regard and used their money on buying exclusives in hopes of forcing players to use the featureless storefront. Then you have the various statements coming from them during all of this that has just stoked the flames. They fucked up.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah this whole wanting epic to fail for their practices thing is kinda petty TBH. I mean i get criticizing them and even not using them but to actively root against them is just wild. So many people that partake in that don't really know much besides what they read and have little knowledge in the full facet of what their rooting against. But thats not even my big problem with it, it's always so trashy to me to see people saying things like "no tolerence for the intolerent" is just a excuse to not take the high road and lead by example but to instead sink to the level of the ones in the wrong just to have a easy way to fight back. I mean I get it surely but don;t agree with it in the slightest. Education is always the best answer.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How do I dig up a 4 year old ticket
Oooh, that makes more sense. Yeah, sadly moderation in Steam was much worse 4-7 years ago (As well as their customer service). They ramped up a lot, and did even more once they started having Steam Direct.

As I said in my previous post, even 2 years ago, it was weird to have complete community bans and it was all more forum based (which made it so that people could be assholes everywhere without really getting any punishment).
Hopefully (and from my experience right now it is very likely), they would easily remove that. Sorry for your bad experiences, nobody should have to suffer doxing.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
In most cases , EGS is still cheaper than even CDkeys by a good amount at launch
Funnily enough, if the situation was reversed you would have no other recourse as EGS severely limits the places you can buy games from. Currently experiencing that as EGS won't take paypal and I can't by anything from there despite having decent regional prices.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
In the same vein as "no tolerance for the intolerant"
Exactly.
Why, even as someone who want the PC platform to give options, should I want devs to give the option of buying their game on EGS, making that store more likely to survive and thus more likely to keep removing option from me with other games ?

If tomorow EGS announce that they stop doing third party exclusivity deal, I'll stop hoping to see them not getting games, and more generaly failing.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, that makes more sense. Yeah, sadly moderation in Steam was much worse 4-7 years ago (As well as their customer service). They ramped up a lot, and did even more once they started having Steam Direct.

As I said in my previous post, even 2 years ago, it was weird to have complete community bans and it was all more forum based (which made it so that people could be assholes everywhere without really getting any punishment).
Hopefully (and from my experience right now it is very likely), they would easily remove that. Sorry for your bad experiences, nobody should have to suffer doxing.
Well thanks, I sure hope it would be different now but I'm still sour about much of it. I happy with any alternative to compete with steam even if they have their own shit practice because hopefully competition will make both more accommodating

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
How do I dig up a 4 year old ticket
Ooooh you are talking 4 years ago. Their moderation was rightly criticised for a long time back then, and they had to hire a ton of people for support.

Nowadays I'm sure they would respond swiftly to a case like yours (I have sent a bunch of reports for something as simple as profile pictures, they have always taken action), but I understand it doesn't make up for what happened back then.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a direct response to EGS's bullshit.

I'm totally fine with games being on EVERY storefront, and don't actively want them not to appear on EGS... But I am gonna take a certain amount of smug satisfaction when a huge game does release on every storefront except EGS. Sorry, I know that's petty but I'm only human.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are feeling vindictive because it's exclusive to Steam without Valve (AFAIK) paying developers to keep their game off other platforms. My preference is for it to hit everything either way.

Mr. Spoons

Alt Account
Apr 20, 2019
This 1000x.

For some, it obviously started as a "I hate Fortnite, therefore I hate Epic Games, therefore I hate whatever it's trying to do here with its own storefront." Add in a dash of brand loyalty and the exclusives stuff just provided a poor rationalization for the hate masked as an anti-consumer fight. (Yes I know this isn't everyone. And definitely not you, person who is reading this and saying, "But not me!")

And to be clear, I don't play Fortnite, haven't bought anything on EGS, and have a massive Steam library. But the majority of the Epic Game Store argument is damn silly.

Cool. So you are just choosing to ignore peoples very real complaints that have been talked about for six months now. Congrats I guess?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
In the same vein as "no tolerance for the intolerant", I'm not going to weep for a store known for paid exclusivity being excluded.

Of particular note, you would think from Epic's original stance - they were going to be some bastion of support for indies, giving them funding and better cut to support them - - instead, it is just rich publishers, getting richer, in a move of attempted spectacle. It benefits no one but Epic and the relevant publisher getting the bag of money.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Valve caused it as much as benefited from it. Its more the toxic gaming culture in general.

I called the characterization of PC gaming as the most toxic a major accusation, but I didn't say that can't be true. It may be true. A lot of vile shit goes down and it's largely unchecked. Not just on steam. But yes perhaps PC gaming at Large. I don't think it's necessarily more so, but it's possible. I just want to say I recognize how important that is to you.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
The people who actually care about things being available to as many people as possible won't be celebrating that the EGS isn't a game. Those who do, obviously don't care about such things, and are hiding their blatant team picking behind various excuses.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS exclusives was essentially Epic paying studios and publishers to release a game worse than it would have been on Steam with fewer features- i.e. achievements, Steam's infrastructure (user reviews, forms, friends, etc)

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
In most cases , Regionally priced EGS is still cheaper than even CDkeys by a fair amount at launch
I felt very similar to you. People championing competition when Epic started to buy exclusives while on my end those games were now more expensive and had less features by being removed from Steam.

Every game should be available on all storefronts.

You make a good point there, because I saw people arguing about how the EGS will raise up every price, because of the Metro fiasco, and actually it seems that in some regions EGS offers competitive prices. Wow, who would have thought of it..

I think exclusivity has it's good side. For example, in Epic's specific case, they give financing to struggling indie developers who might release their game in a poor state (Industries of Titan dev confirmed this in his game's steam forum), just because they don't have enough money for completing a potentially amazing game. That, and the recent move from Epic of giving 10$ dollars to developers at the current sale, are very developer-friendly tactics which I couldn't see on steam yet.
Valve did a sale like this back in February and they do offer help to indie developers. It's just not by giving them cash for exclusivity

Last edited:

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Main reason that Steam takes longer to add regions is because they add the currency and different regional payment methods, which takes longer.
People say this like it's supposed to mean something. JMD is never going to be added to steam...so am I just to be content with paying literally my rent for a video game..?

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
For us out here living the third world dream, we would very much rather pay regional pricing in USD than wait for a fairy tale ending where steam adds our currencies.

Don't ever use the "well the reason steam doesn't support regional pricing for your country is because....." I'mma check you bro.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't know why some of these developers are opting against EGS. Personally I have no issues with games that release on every storefront. Why not release on every platform possible?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
People say this like it's supposed to mean something. JMD is never going to be added to steam...so am I just to be content with paying literally my rent for a video game..?
theyre just explaining why it takes more time, not justifying why steam doesnt currently have regional pricing in a certain place

most reasonable people hope that more regions are included in regional pricing. valve adds a few more every year

having people pay fair prices for games no matter where they are is only a positive

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
For us out here living the third world dream, we would very much rather pay regional pricing in USD than wait for a fairly tale ending were steam adds our currencies.

Don't ever use the "well the reason steam doesn't support regional pricing for your country is because....." I'mma check you bro.
I live in a third world country and steam added not so long ago our currency and its fucking great.

Check on me bro

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
For us out here living the third world dream, we would very much rather pay regional pricing in USD than wait for a fairly tale ending were steam adds our currencies.

This

Of course it is better to pay in pure local currency and is the superior option , but looks like this option isnt for every country until now , so paying for reduced regional pricing in USD is the obvious better option than waiting years and years for a miracle that our local currency to be added