• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ideally, games would be out for every store. Epic has gotten in the way of that happening many times, so some people will be glad that they are the ones being fucked over because there's always the fear that something appearing on that store means that it's going to be exclusive.

Anyway, I want all games to be available everywhere, but also... fuck Epic.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
cool, out of forum attacks, nice.
i'm not an epic stan. i could care less. the only thing i'll possibly ever buy from them is Journey, because i love the game too much. gtfo with calling me a stan.
this shit is why i say some of you are steam fanboys, and have lost all sense of reasoning. i'm not attacking anybody here, at least not i'm such a direct manner, and i'm open to discussion.

I think you mean to say you couldn't care less. Saying you could care less means you do care.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
While I'm strongly agains Epic's buying rights to game that were previously announced to steam, how is Epic buying exclusive rights to new games (that were never promised to be on steam) any different to Nintendo/Sony/MS money hatting third party support?

Again: if a game was previously announced for Steam that is different but newer games are a different story.

Most of the outrage are indeed toward many of their first exclusives which were previously announced on Steam (Satisfactory, Metro Exodus, or Phoenix Point for example). I don't see as many outrage regarding Journey or Quantic Dream games, for instance.

Mr. Spoons

Alt Account
Apr 20, 2019
ive yet to see any of you to put the energy yall put into Epic to stuff like yakuza only being on steam, but i digress.

Probably because Valve didn't pay Sega to put the game only on steam. If Sega wanted to they could put it on the Epic store. And you can buy Yakuza keys from greenmangaming and humble and Valve doesn't get a cent. Soooo...yeah.

Its certainly not something to celebrate that this game isn't (at least now) coming to EGS. But when a company tries to use their money to FORCE you to use their much worse product people are going to laugh when they get left out. Sucks for the OP obviously, but maybe Epic should get a fully functional store running and they might not have to bribe everyone.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't read the OP, but that won't stop me from sharing my very important opinion about the Epic Game Store, epic style!

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
People are just trying to imitate your shitposting, you should feel honored!

If I'm ever a fucking asshole to someone who can't afford a game because of where they're trying to buy it then run me over, back up, then run me over again

There is a strong ass difference between me being a self deprecating goober when I'm bored and this shit

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It sure wasn't epic that made PC culture into the plague it is

As if there is even a PC culture. It's the internet, and it surrounded by whatever bubble you populate yourself with.

Where you see "plague", I see something polar opposite, since I simply don't interact with the social groups I don't like or disagree with.

The fact you choose to paint everyone with the same brush says more about you than anything else.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Oh don't even try this bullshit now lol you're in 90% of these threads just like I am
people care plenty about the epic games store

people don't care that much if epic games store gets a game in addition to all the other stores

no one gives an actual shit about that

people "celebrating" is just some nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah stuff, not any meaningful conversation about exclusivity or whatever

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL that steam doesn't do regional pricing. Wow.

Read an OP? Surely you jest.
Don't jump to conclusions without fact checking? Steam does regional pricing, but it just so happens EGS covers some regions that Steam does not (and I'm sure the inverse is true, haven't seen Epic'a list). Steam regional pricing is entirely up to the publisher/developer. Steam has had regional pricing for a long time.

VatticWave

Mar 2, 2018
You make a good point there, because I saw people arguing about how the EGS will raise up every price, because of the Metro fiasco, and actually it seems that in some regions EGS offers competitive prices. Wow, who would have thought of it..

I think exclusivity has it's good side. For example, in Epic's specific case, they give financing to struggling indie developers who might release their game in a poor state (Industries of Titan dev confirmed this in his game's steam forum), just because they don't have enough money for completing a potentially amazing game. That, and the recent move from Epic of giving 10$ dollars to developers at the current sale, are very developer-friendly tactics which I couldn't see on steam yet.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ive yet to see any of you to put the energy yall put into Epic to stuff like yakuza only being on steam, but i digress.

Yakuza (and other games which are only on Steam) should be released everywhere too, I agree. However, they were never actively restricted from doing so by Valve or anyone else. The publisher (Sega in this case) just decided against it. Very different kind of problem.

cool, out of forum attacks, nice.
i'm not an epic stan. i could care less. the only thing i'll possibly ever buy from them is Journey, because i love the game too much. gtfo with calling me a stan.
this shit is why i say some of you are steam fanboys, and have lost all sense of reasoning. i'm not attacking anybody here, at least not i'm such a direct manner, and i'm open to discussion.

Can we stop calling out anyone with problems with Epic a "steam fanboy". I vocally shill for Itch and GOG at nearly every opportunity on this site. I and many others specifically only have a problem with Epic.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
If that were the case people would complain about Origin, uPlay, etc. Some do, but the fact that most don't kinda invalidates this line of reasoning.

It has jackshit to do with it and more like the atmosphere EGS installed in the PC market. I'd prefer that all the games are available everywhere. But if you're seeing people happy that it's not on EGS, it's mainly because as its stands right now, EGS isn't a desirable actor that should have a position in the industry. Hence why it creates rejection from customers.

Yo, look, I'm not saying it's THE reason. It's just obvious to me that a lot of people out there are being fanboys about this whole thing. That shouldn't really be controversial.

A lot of people are also genuinely concerned and for good reason. That doesn't invalidate anything I'm saying. The whole discussion around the Epic store has been such a shit show.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm ever a fucking asshole to someone who can't afford a game because of where they're trying to buy it then run me over, back up, then run me over again

There is a strong ass difference between me being a self deprecating goober when I'm bored and this shit
Wait, you took it seriously?

Yo, look, I'm not saying it's THE reason. It's just obvious to me that a lot of people out there are being fanboys about this whole thing. That shouldn't really be controversial.

A lot of people are also genuinely concerned and for good reason. That doesn't invalidate anything I'm saying. The whole discussion around the Epic store has been such a shit show.
Most of the users saying "fuck EGS" also did not complain about VtM:Bloodlines 2 coming to EGS AND Steam AND GOG. Case in point, this is more about making fun of how EGS shitted the bed with most pc gamers and now AAA companies gain brownie points by making fun of it.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Options are good. In your case OP the option of EGS with its better pricing for your region is good. For others, with worse regional pricing or lack of games with their preferred platform/payment method/features, its not good.

EGS isn't all bad in all cases but it earns its rep.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
I empathize with your situation regarding pricing, but you have to understand this is Epic's own doing. They made it so they they are expected to pay for a game to come to their store. They could have made themselves a great alternative at least for better pricing on certain regions, but they absolutely screwed up their strategy from the get go.

Also, don't take the celebrations personally, after the shit storm of the past few months, some people are simply enjoying what could look like a pushback. Nothing really stops games from coming to EGS and Steam and others, but expectations need to change first.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I am against EGS exclusivity and the douchebag way they go about it while leaving the store painfully barebones.

BUT why is BG3 skipping EGS? It should be offered on all PC storefronts and people should choose to buy it where they get the best deal. Is integration with each store that difficult that a Steam version is too different than an EGS version? I get GOG one will be different since no DRM, but that should be easy to handle too, right? It's kinda shitty that a PC game that no one moneyhatted is not getting released everywhere...

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I feel sorry for the OP's loss in terms of losing out on cheaper games. Personally, the fact that EGS doesn't support CAD is one of my big sticking points against them (the supposed "savings" get eaten up when PayPal converts the price from USD to CAD)

That being said, EGS's philosophy is the "bad" type of competition. Paid exclusivity means prices stay high longer, since they are less readily available from key resellers. And the fact that they launched a store with so few basic features, is, frankly, insulting.

So whenever developers publicly say "exclusivity is bullshit", I applaud that.
-and I'm sure BG3 might be on the EGS, if that store worked properly. They won't put it up during a sale, if they can't exclude themselves from it.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As if there is even a PC culture. It's the internet, and it surrounded by whatever bubble you populate yourself with.

Where you see "plague", I see something polar opposite, since I simply don't interact with the social groups I don't like or disagree with.

The fact you choose to paint everyone with the same brush says more about you than anything else.
Lmao, okay champ, call me when the epic store opens one of those "features every service in 2019 should have" like a forum where every post looks like Stormfront and Daddy valve doesn't moderate any of it. Or maybe you want to pick up a game from the happily transphobic GOG.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's just the situation Epic had gotten itself in. Games coming to EGS is fine but you can't be surprised at the reactions on the internet after all the bullshit Epic had done.

Had Epic actually tried to make a compelling client and service we wouldn't be in this position.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Here's the thing, excluding EGS feels like a way of saying they don't support their practices, regardless of whether that's their reasoning or not.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
You shouldn't be celebrating a game skipping EGS anymore than you should be celebrating a game skipping steam or any other storefront.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
no one gives a shit if it's available on egs in addition to everywhere else

people just think it's funny that the people buying exclusives are being excluded

maybe that they're finally getting a taste of their own medicine

and they're voicing that

no one actually cares that much

This is exactly right. I don't give a damn if a game is on EGS as well as Steam.

The thing is, that's not good enough for Epic and their practices, and this is the shit show they're inflicting on everybody.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm not opposed to games coming to any store on PC, but Epic has created such a toxic atmosphere on the PC, where every new exciting game is laced with this fear that Epic will lock it behind their dumpster fire store, that I'm happy to give them the middle finger in this case.

No system warring, no bad faith acting. I just think Epic are creating a bad vibe around the platform and I want them to fail. And when they stop with their bullshit, I may buy games from them.

I'll be buying BG3 on GOG. I always do when given the choice.
It's less that """options""" are excluded and more that the option that's actively working against other options is being negatively affected.
this.
I want people to be able to choose, but I won't exactly be sad about stuff that hurts Epic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, okay champ, call me when the epic store opens one of those "features every service in 2019 should have" like a forum where every post looks like Stormfront and Daddy valve doesn't moderate any of it. Or maybe you want to pick up a game from the happily transphobic GOG.
Most forums in Steam are not like that though and actually have a ton of information about how to properly solve several problem the game has. The forums are also moderated by Steam but sadly, because there is no easy way of controlling the people (like in era), it is more reactive and relies on people reporting posts. Devs can easily control their forums too, as they are admins.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
How is it that EGS managed to come along and offer regional pricing in quite a few more areas than Steam? Kinda sounds like Steam should support some more regions, if it's feasible.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most forums in Steam are not like that though and actually have a ton of information about how to properly solve several problem the game has. The forums are also moderated by Steam but sadly, because there is no easy way of controlling the people (like in era), it is more reactive and relies on people reporting posts. Devs can easily control their forums too, as they are admins.
I reported a guy for doxxing me on their profile for months and they didn't do anything so maybe valve doesn't really care at all

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celebrating that it won't be available at all on EGS is some hypocritical and cynical bullshit.

Celebrating that it didn't turn out to be another moneyhatted exclusive is perfectly understandable.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
OP, I do understand your concerns, but you should also understand (I think you do) that all of those points you mentioned will add up to ire and blowback, which is the fault of no one but the Epic themselves. We can only hope that in the future they maybe calculate their give and take a little better so more PC gamers warm up to them.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that EGS managed to come along and offer regional pricing in quite a few more areas than Steam? Kinda sounds like Steam should support some more regions, if it's feasible.
Because EGS regional pricing is completely different than Steam.

Steam actually does the effort to accept the local currency and look into the different payment methods in the country and howthey can be integrated (for example Steam in India allows for payment in cash). Meanwhile, EGS just makes everyone pay in dollars and use generic payment methods.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I dont celebrate games that Skip any Store , Please read the OP
I wasn't talking to you, I was speaking in general. We are in agreement.
That's pretty much a fair statement, however, Epic is the party making exclusivity deals, not Valve, and Steam is clearly the superior storefront.
Its still not ideal when situations like the OP arise where Steam does not have regional pricing for them but EGS does. Epic's exclusivity deals are bad and a seperate issue.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
' I'm sorry OP, BUT'

Steam is more bespoke with their regional support and tailors things to each region as best as they can

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

"Okay Champ" - the call of the internet tribal platform warrior

"Literally" every post does not look like "Stormfront and Daddy valve doesn't moderate any of it". As a user of the service - I rarely have that problem. It is certainly anywhere on the internet - just as I expect from the open internet.

Keep crying

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Oh no, moneyhats stopped working. What will we ever do.
If youre all for games being available anywhere, what about all those EGS exclusives then? I'm just enjoying them get fed their own medicine as the person above me put very nicely.

The key take away from the OP's post is that there is no regional pricing from Steam in his home region. Certainly, huge swathes of Africa etc have no regional pricing and those are areas that definitely need it.

Surely it is more constructive to push Valve to expand their areas where regional pricing is offered ?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I know I'm repeating myself across threads, but is there any record at all of a dev putting their game on EGS the "normal" way? I'm not sure why we're entertaining the idea that a developer can actually just put their great game on EGS and sell to OP at a reasonable price. Better regional pricing is a good thing, of course.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It takes more effort to keep more versions updated like that.

And why be supportive of games releasing on an anti-consumer platform? Let Epic dig their own grave. Maybe if they stop swinging their dicks around, release your games on their platform.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I reported a guy for doxxing me on their profile for months and they didn't do anything so maybe valve doesn't really care at all
My experience reporting people has gone like 80 reports out of 82, and a higher strike rate with groups.

Main problem I have is that they mostly only did ban on the single forum instead of completely ban out of community. Since one year ago or so, they expanded it and started giving more community bans (for continuous infringments mostly, they should expand on that).

Pure bans though are probably a pipe dream as that would lock people out of the stuff they bought which would probably be illegal.