• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
You should blame epic, they are the ones who created this love or hate relationship with their, eventually, customer.
Not having epic info the equation at all is actually a good thing in the eyes of people, because it means that they've not signed any exclusivity deal.
Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I'm all in for better regional prices for everyone and I don't mind using other launchers if I really want to play some games, but Epic is the only one who needs to be blamed for that kind of reactions. They tried to brute-force their way on the market they abandoned 10 years ago by mindlessly throwing money in every direction while providing mostly inferior experience to consumers, of course people will celebrate when anyone throws the shade on them. Epic could have easily brought more consumers to their platform in a less aggressive manner and win a lot of goodwill, but instead they decided to act like an assholes so here we have that kind of reactions, and I really don't blame people for celebrating this stuff after all this shitshow that did Epic in last 6 month. Seriously, it's like Epic tried to piss off as many people as possible on purpose

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
it shows that the options argument is hypocritical. "we want to be able to choose", but now cheer for it to be excluded.

This lacks any of the context for why people would celebrate the decision not to put a game on a service that is very clearly not benefiting users or the ecosystem - just as people were viscerally angry and made the same comments about Microsoft and UWP - for all the right reasons.

In this specific case for the developer:
"I don't see why not; I don't believe in exclusives, I prefer to be everywhere."

IIf
If devs want to take a stand against this sort of thing great - and vice versa if that is what they believe - but every person here has the right to voice their opinion, and these decisions from Larian, does not eliminate choice - it eliminates exclusivity and supporting the companies pushing it in an ecosystem that very largely does not want it

This post is screaming the same thing as when people argued rightfully against Microsoft's prior stance and UWP - "if you love choice, you should support UWP and MS Store". There's choice, and there is a system trying to circumvent or prevent others from having choice. Not supporting such vendors is justifiable

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
BG3 might still come to EGS if Epic allows it, a further tweet clarified this. Larian was just saying early pop-up pages that allow you to put a game on a wishlist isn't appearing on EGS, EGS doesn't even have a wishlist feature (and missing a ton of other features) so there isn't much point putting it on the store until the game is pre-orderable.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Sorry about the regional pricing. That's definitely a big negative when it's not offered.

I actually don't care if they want to sell the game on EGS as long as I can buy it somewhere else. Maybe Epic should think about why these big games are skipping their store. Why can't they attract devs without the moneyhat? It seems like the 88 / 12 split isn't attractive enough on it's own.

Either way, I won't be crying over Epic's misfortunes.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Does Epic even allow major games to be on their store, and other storefronts as well, without an exclusivity period first? I thought that was the issue. The other issue is that devs see Epic slacking in the browser features that many other services have, and are waiting for it to be fleshed out. So, people are kinda celebrating that not all devs care only about the money.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're sad because EGS provides insane pricing for some other countries from regional pricing. I get it, but the store all around sucks for a lot of gamers. Tim Sweeney is also a massive hypocrite. So while I understand your situation and can empathize, they haven't done much to win the favor of the Lions share of people that account for significant revenue.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The reaction is simply because Epic tainted their store by strong-arming their way into the market, and people are happy that there are consequences to their actions. People don't actually care if Egs versions exist. And didn't they say BG3 would eventually hit the store, just no store page now? *Shrug*

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like financially supporting stores which mainly exist to restrict consumer options, and will be happy when developers choose not to entertain that shit as well. It's nice seeing that Epic are facing consequences for all the shit they are pulling.

I want games everywhere, but anything which puts a dent into Epic I'm also okay with because they exist to make games not available everywhere. If they weren't pulling their exclusivity shit I would want everything to be there too, because I think PC games should be available everywhere. Yeah that's a bit of a weird position to be in, but I don't feel like it's completely hypocritical. I like the comparison with "no tolerance for the intolerant" that was made earlier.
ive yet to see any of you to put the energy yall put into Epic to stuff like yakuza only being on steam, but i digress.

It's less that """options""" are excluded and more that the option that's actively working against other options is being negatively affected.
and one day some of yall will understand that while criticizing the launcher itself, which id 100% agree that it's lacking, exclusives aren't this absolute evil thing, having indies teams being funded for a year is cool...and you can just....not buy it, and wait some time.
This lacks any of the context for why people would celebrate the decision not to put a game on a service that is very clearly not benefiting users or the ecosystem - just as people were viscerally angry and made the same comments about Microsoft and UWP - for all the right reasons.

In this specific case for the developer:
"I don't see why not; I don't believe in exclusives, I prefer to be everywhere."

IIf
If devs want to take a stand against this sort of thing great - and vice versa if that is what they believe - but every person here has the right to voice their opinion, and these decisions from Larian, does not eliminate choice - it eliminates exclusivity and supporting the companies pushing it in an ecosystem that very largely does not want it

This post is screaming the same thing as when people argued rightfully against Microsoft's prior stance and UWP - "if you love choice, you should support UWP and MS Store"
i don't need to prove context, when the gaming side is basically epic every single day. everyone is very much aware of the context.
and lol. UWP basically says fuck off to moddding, you even opening the game folder. Epic Launcher is just a launcher, not enforcing anything else.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
I think more storefronts should support more regions for regional prices, but in the end, the decision is always the pubs/devs.

The best solution would be that games would appear on all storefronts and consumers could decide where to buy.

Problem with Epic is though, that they have brought upon so much toxicity that one would think we are living ps2 era console wars. Epics way of business is understandable, but the way they are doing it is baffling and infuriating.

I hope the OP will find a solution for the games that OP wants to play that won't hit EGS. Sometimes though it's better to play the waiting game.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who uses Steam more or less exclusively I agree it would only be a good thing if it released on the EGS as well. To me it seems most people are celebrating because it's not locked to the Epic store as is the case for most games that are released on there, the only other game I can think of that's due to come out on both at the same time is Vampire.

As other have said though Epic only have themselves to blame for some of the reactions, they've actively made the PC platform worse since they started with their moneyhatting and exclusivity bullshit.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck epic game store. and fuck epic games additionally . After shit they pulled several times i will of course celebrate it.
You should too unless you have shares at EPIC
EGS brings nothing to the table. Goodbye.
It's like neither of you bothered to read the OP.

"Nothing to the table" ? He can buy a new release for like $20 instead of $60 and that's nothing?

Hell, I'm not a fan of a lot of Epic's practices and the fact their store is lacking obvious features even now, but this kind of dismissal of someone's well explained opinion is just plain rude.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This would be arguable if EGS was actually good to start with.

Guess what? It's not.

They can't even get their security shit straight or basic purchasing options.

Oct 28, 2017
Said already, but having all games on as many stores as possible is what i'd like to see. More choice for us as consumers, and the game companies can cast as wide a net as possible to get maximum sales. Hard to see how anyone loses.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
While I'm strongly agains Epic's buying rights to game that were previously announced to steam, how is Epic buying exclusive rights to new games (that were never promised to be on steam) any different to Nintendo/Sony/MS money hatting third party support?

Should MS/Nintendo fans get angry over Spider-Man being a Sony exclusive? No.

Again: if a game was previously announced for Steam that is different but newer games are a different story.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that when you publish a game on steam, it has steam API hook all over it and you basically have to develop a slightly different build for vanilla win32 version that would be published elsewhere like gog or EGS. We had cases that patches and update on gog have been months behind steam simply because the developer doesn't have the capacity to do both and they obviously prioritize steam. So if you think you can't handle supporting multiple stores you just don't do it. Similar deal with windows store, that's even more complicated with UWPs. It's a non trivial amount of work, you will have to pay employees to do it, have customer support for it and so on and it might not be bringing anything for you. So in most cases if there is a game on a store other than steam and gog is because it was sponsored in some way even if it was an small thing it helps.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User banned (5 days): drive-by trolling, admitting to not reading the OP
It's like neither of you bothered to read the OP.

"Nothing to the table" ? He can buy a new release for like $20 instead of $60 and that's nothing?

Hell, I'm not a fan of a lot of Epic's practices and the fact their store is lacking obvious features even now, but this kind of dismissal of someone's well explained opinion is just plain rude.

you're right. I didn't read it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
no shit it's reductive. i'm aware there's fair criticism. i don't need to repeat what yall talk every single day. wasn't i who made Jasec quit the fucking internet because the PC climate became insufferable.
Well then I'm not sure where the notion of hypocrisy stems from if you admit that there's fair criticism. It's like calling people hypocrites for celebrating that Fallout New Vegas wouldn't be coming to Games for Windows Live. GFWL was a choice, a choice that threatened choice.

If EGS was a stronger platform on its own merits and I had reason to utilize it beyond the fact that they've paid for third-party franchises I enjoy to be exclusive to their storefront, then I'd use it. I might have qualms, but I'd use it. And I do believe that EGS could have been -that- out of the gate had Epic not prioritized securing exclusivity to late-gen hits and minimizing choice to funnel prospective customers into paying for games through EGS as the primary means by which to create appeal for their platform.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
i don't need to prove context, when the gaming side is basically epic every single day. everyone is very much aware of the context.
The context is what the developer stated as their reason - something you are conveniently ignoring.

Just as with UWP, people arguing against a philosophical stance / practice, and choosing not to support that vendor - are not preventing user choice or developer choice. Just as users - rightfully - argue against Epic's approach, while being supportive of games being everywhere.

This is trivial to understand

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
While I'm strongly agains Epic's buying rights to game that were previously announced to steam, how is Epic buying exclusive rights to new games (that were never promised to be on steam) any different to Nintendo/Sony/MS money hatting third party support?

Should MS/Nintendo fans get angry over Spider-Man being a Sony exclusive? No.

Again: if a game was previously announced for Steam that is different but newer games are a different story.

I don't think people get that upset at a company paying another company to develop them an exclusive. It's the after the fact buying that sucks, and I don't think that really happens much more in the console space does it? Like maybe with Tomb Raider? I can't remenber if MS kicked in for dev costs on that at all.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
1. Chances are, if a new game comes to the Epic store, it's going to be exclusive, at least for a period of time. So seeing a game not show up on the Epic Store means there's a good chance that exclusivity is off the table. (I also think it's likely that Epic doesn't want to allow new games on its store that aren't exclusive, but that's just my crackpot theory.)

2. Even though they offer regional pricing for a few regions not served similarly by other storefronts, the Epic Store is, on balance, terrible for consumers, because its primary business model is to actively reduce the amount of competition for a game's sales on PC. Until such time as that changes, anything that could tend to reduce its success is worth celebrating.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
it shows that the options argument is hypocritical. "we want to be able to choose", but now cheer for it to be excluded.

Yes we do cheer.

I'm perfectly fine with a game releasing on all store fronts because that's how it should be. But if the only company actively paying publishers to exclude Steam/GoG gets excluded, it brings a smile to my face.

It's no different than seeing karma doing it's thing on someone that's a jerk to others.

Epic needs to change their tune, and until that happens I'll enjoy every moment where things work against them.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Being around fanboys for years aswell as have been a fanboy myself you'll eventually catch on to people saying that a game should be for all systems when really they just mean their platform of choice regardless of if its exclusive or not, they wont fight for the same cause if the game is exclusive to their platforms of choice.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
and one day some of yall will understand that while criticizing the launcher itself, which id 100% agree that it's lacking, exclusives aren't this absolute evil thing, having indies teams being funded for a year is cool...and you can just....not buy it, and wait some time.
How does that specific scenario you've painted apply to Epic buying exclusivity from a game already announced for and planned to be on other platforms?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
If Epic wants it to be on the EGS, it will be on the EGS.
This.

If they cared enough they would make onboarding games into their store as easy as possible. I'd call that the scalpel approach.

Instead they decided to go wildly spinning an axe with momeyhats just for a small lucky few. They could have put their money where their rhetoric was, but they didn't.
Seriously, fuck the Epic sites for going with the lazy route, this is their just deserts.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally I'd want games to be out on every storefront.

Also ideally Epic would compete with stuff that actively benefits consumers like the better regional pricing they have for some regions, but instead they just chose to brute force their way into a market while making it shittier so forgive me for thoroughly enjoying the schadenfreude.

Gale Moran

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
If Epic went in a Sony-like approach and buy extra content and stepped up their platform in an acceptable level, then people wouldn't be acting like that.

Sony is not doing it at an acceptable level, the COD dlc deal is so stupid. They're paying for others to get it later, I'm sure they would not get it any faster without payment.

People just let it slide more because 1. many people here are sony fans and 2. they're used to things like that.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Well you're basically right. There's some anger involved. People might be popping off the stuff that doesn't make sense. You know, emotions and stuff. Believe it or not, the discussion here has been pretty traumatic here for many months now. And because of that, I find a little lashing out to be perfectly natural.

People are angry at epic and they're going to say fuck epic. you don't necessarily need to take it personally, though. They're not thinking at all about your situation and surely wish you no harm.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
User warned: hostility, off-site drama
ive yet to see any of you to put the energy yall put into Epic to stuff like yakuza only being on steam, but i digress.

Did steam pay SEGA to not publish Yakuza anywhere else or are you another reductionist Epicstan who can't make an intellectually honest argument if their live would depend on it?

Oh wait, we followed each other on twitter for over a year, i already know the answer

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas for how other stores should compete? They already offer more features. They already offer bigger libraries. They already offer better features. They're already where people's friend are. What else would make for a compelling value proposition compared to EGS? They have no one to blame but themselves.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Did steam pay SEGA to not publish Yakuza anywhere else or are you another reductionist Epicstan who can't make an intellectually honest argument if their live would depend on it?

Oh wait, we followed each other on twitter for over a year until i blocked you, i already know the answer
cool, out of forum attacks, nice.
i'm not an epic stan. i could care less. the only thing i'll possibly ever buy from them is Journey, because i love the game too much. gtfo with calling me a stan.
this shit is why i say some of you are steam fanboys, and have lost all sense of reasoning. i'm not attacking anybody here, at least not i'm such a direct manner, and i'm open to discussion.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not opposed to games coming to any store on PC, but Epic has created such a toxic atmosphere on the PC, where every new exciting game is laced with this fear that Epic will lock it behind their dumpster fire store, that I'm happy to give them the middle finger in this case.

No system warring, no bad faith acting. I just think Epic are creating a bad vibe around the platform and I want them to fail. And when they stop with their bullshit, I may buy games from them.

I'll be buying BG3 on GOG. I always do when given the choice.
It sure wasn't epic that made PC culture into the plague it is

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Guys I know many of you are rightfully mad at EGS and I've been angry with them lately too.

But

At least read the entire OP. He's presenting something that actually affects him because of his circumstances and location.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
and lol. UWP basically says fuck off to moddding, you even opening the game folder. Epic Launcher is just a launcher, not enforcing anything else.

Absolute fucking LOL at your edit - no it is not just a store. A game locked behind a service that has access to your personal details and has repeatedly failed to protect that data, is a fucking problem. The exact same is true for all the policies you are stuck with, the lack of features, support, offline availability and their hilariously woeful implementation plan, that is behind some of the worst stores available.

Yes - people have the choice not to buy the game avoid a purchase stuck with these severe issues - and that's why people celebrate when the market correctly evaluates bullshit.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It's transparent is what it is. I stand by the opinion that a lot of the complaints about the epic store (not all) are down to system wars and not genuine concern about ethics or consumer rights.

It has jackshit to do with it and more like the atmosphere EGS installed in the PC market. I'd prefer that all the games are available everywhere. But if you're seeing people happy that it's not on EGS, it's mainly because as its stands right now, EGS isn't a desirable actor that should have a position in the industry. Hence why it creates rejection from customers.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute fucking LOL at your edit - no it is not just a store. A game locked behind a service that has access to your personal details and has repeatedly failed to protect that data, is a fucking problem. The exact same is true for all the policies you are stuck with, the lack of features, support, offline availability and their hilariously woeful implementation plan, that is behind some of the worst stores available.

Yes - people have the choice not to buy the game avoid a purchase stuck with these severe issues - and that's why people celebrate when the market correctly evaluates bullshit.
i was talking about freedom only(with the gam itself. evidently, as an exclusive, it lacks freedom of choice in that regard). didn't thought the UWP comparison was apt. i don't disagree with the privacy stuff at all.