• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Coming from this thread , Which its main focus is that Bladurs Gate 3 might not come to the Epic game store , There were dozens of replies that celebrated that the game wont come to Epic Store , and that made me little sad for the reason I will say below

Before I begin , I want to clear some points

1-) Developers are totally free where they put their games and where not they put
2-) I am all for Games being in as much as stores available and have more options for Customers
3-) While exclusivity isnt something new to the industry , I was against some EGS exclusive deals that were shady like the Metro Exodus one or Kickstarter games that promised backers a Steam key but went for EGS exclusivity
4-) EGS has a lot of features missing that is laughable to be missing in 2019
4-) Everyone is of course has the right to criticize any product and Epic Store has a lot to be Criticized for

But despite all the Above , I will still prefer an EGS version over any store version for one Critical reason , For me and for a lot of countries , Epic Store is the only Store that provides regional pricing for me at Decent prices , and There are areas that Epic store offers regional pricing ( decently Reduced prices in Us dollars instead of $60 ) that wasnt cover in any store before like for example the vast majority of carribeans or the whole continental of Africa ( except for South Africa ) and in general they said that they offer regional pricing for 230 Countries/territories , For my country I dont consider myself poor or too rich , just thankfully on the fine part , but despite this , Two $60 games will easily take away more than half of my monthly Income , So getting Games in launch at the very least at 40% off $60 ( sometimes 70% ) was a blessing to me and the ratio of me buying games at launch increased in it instead of waiting months for a deal for games I am too interested in or years for a bundle in games I am interested in but in lesser degrees , and outside of Cloud Saves then I usually Use launchers as the equivalent of " Plug and Play " so I am not in a rush in Epic adding the missing features except for Cloud saves maybe

I of course get why people are hating it and they have all the right to criticize Epic and Epic Store and in the end it is just a tool for me that gives me games at launch at decent prices that fits my income , but seeing posts that "celebrates" No EGS release in a multi-launcher game makes me little sad , I know that posts intention are targeted into Epic itself , but indirectly those posts are translated to " I dont care about a lot of people getting this game in low prices at launch that fits their income instead of paying for prices that break their Income , All I care about is that I won against Epic " , What I hope is that posts who say this aren't acknowledged about the Fact that Epic stores is the only store that offers regional pricing for a lot of countries and don't hope that those posts knows this fact but ignore it

Sorry for the long post , but I just wanted to share how I feel about this

Last edited:

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
it shows that the options argument is hypocritical. "we want to be able to choose", but now cheer for it to be excluded.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I wish PC games just came to all storefronts. GOG, Steam, EGS, Windows Store etc

Pipe dream, I know

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
You don't mention where you are, but does Steam not have regional pricing for your country? I know they cover a lot of countries and currencies.

Oct 26, 2017
it shows that the options argument is hypocritical. "we want to be able to choose", but now cheer for it to be excluded.

In the same vein as "no tolerance for the intolerant", I'm not going to weep for a store known for paid exclusivity being excluded.

Edit for clarity: this was never intended to be a comparison, merely an analogy for the thought process.

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
no one gives a shit if it's available on egs in addition to everywhere else

people just think it's funny that the people buying exclusives are being excluded

maybe that they're finally getting a taste of their own medicine

and they're voicing that

no one actually cares that much

Makikou

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Oh no, moneyhats stopped working. What will we ever do.
If youre all for games being available anywhere, what about all those EGS exclusives then? I'm just enjoying them get fed their own medicine as the person above me put very nicely.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you for the same regional pricing issue.
You don't mention where you are, but does Steam not have regional pricing for your country? I know they cover a lot of countries and currencies.
EGS covers some areas that Steam does not with regional pricing, such as the Caribbean and most of Africa.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just Schadenfreude. Totally understandable why people would think it hilarious that a game available on every relevant PC storefront is skilling out on EGS.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes people celebrate this stuff or bring up bullet points about which is better, not realizing that it doesn't affect them in the way they think. They just use it to score points.

The current landscape of PC gaming right now is also about to get shaken up real hard what with Microsoft and Google gearing up too

Oh no, moneyhats stopped working. What will we ever do. If youre all for games being available anywhere, what about all those EGS exclusives then?

Did you even read what they said, don't be rude

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Regional pricing will forever make the store my first choice. They offer me better pricing than cdkeys so I can actually play games within the first year they come out.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User banned (1 week): trolling
Fuck epic game store. and fuck epic games additionally . After shit they pulled several times i will of course celebrate it.
You should too unless you have shares at EPIC

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I have no problem with games releasing on Epic store.

I have a problem with Epic paying to get games removed from competing stores.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it just shows the flaw in EGS's strategy. it built itself up by moneyhatting and cutting shady deals with devs, instead of just being a good store front that slowly gets a loyal audience. so it's really hard to care or feel bad when a game skips that store.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): off-topic drama, trolling and antagonizing other members over several posts in the thread
This is so openly reductive that it hurts. Omit as much context as it takes, buddy.
no shit it's reductive. i'm aware there's fair criticism. i don't need to repeat what yall talk every single day. wasn't i who made Jasec quit the fucking internet because the PC climate became insufferable.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

It's transparent is what it is. I stand by the opinion that a lot of the complaints about the epic store (not all) are down to system wars and not genuine concern about ethics or consumer rights.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not opposed to games coming to any store on PC, but Epic has created such a toxic atmosphere on the PC, where every new exciting game is laced with this fear that Epic will lock it behind their dumpster fire store, that I'm happy to give them the middle finger in this case.

No system warring, no bad faith acting. I just think Epic are creating a bad vibe around the platform and I want them to fail. And when they stop with their bullshit, I may buy games from them.

I'll be buying BG3 on GOG. I always do when given the choice.

Oct 25, 2017
In the same vein as "no tolerance for the intolerant", I'm not going to weep for a store known for paid exclusivity being excluded.
Yep, no sympathy from me.
The moneyhatting was ridiculous. Ideally I'd be fine with the games being on all stores. But Epic played this stupid game to begin with and have no intentions of stopping.
Let them burn, I say, hopefully in the near future.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Competitive pricing and more features and I'd have no problems using the EGS as long as they stop with the moneyhatting and forcing customers there.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
no one gives a shit if it's available on egs in addition to everywhere else

people just think it's funny that the people buying exclusives are being excluded

maybe that they're finally getting a taste of their own medicine

and they're voicing that

no one actually cares that much

This is predicated on the assumption that those people only have EGS as launcher and not STEAM or GoG etc. I just wish my pc wasn't dead.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It's transparent is what it is. I stand by the opinion that a lot of the complaints about the epic store (not all) are down to system wars and not genuine concern about ethics or consumer rights.
If that were the case people would complain about Origin, uPlay, etc. Some do, but the fact that most don't kinda invalidates this line of reasoning.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Epic covers more countries than Steam now, though this coverage has a cost (most of the countries that have regional pricing on EGS pay in USD, which can screw you royally if your currency fluctuates a lot, while Steam supports regional currencies for all the countries they offer regional pricing in).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Complaints about moneyhatting are justified regarding the Epic Game Store.

Celebrating that the EGS simply doesn't have a game is childish console-war level behavior that shouldn't be tolerated.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I wanna see who actually reads the OP and realizes it's about regional pricing for him cause it sure looks like everyone is just batting that away

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Well, it's their own fault.

If they weren't so greedy to buy exclusivities and studios in an open platform like PC, they wouldn't be on that situation, where people actually felt relieved of not having their games in a poor platform like EGS.

If Epic went in a Sony-like approach and buy extra content and stepped up their platform in an acceptable level, then people wouldn't be acting like that.

I mean, I don't know are the things these days, but not having a shopping cart in the sale was hilariously bad.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of understand you, OP. Besides Epic, I only get regional pricing in GOG and Nuuvem. Origin had that too, until EA got fed up of people bypassing the regional pricing with VPNs (I don't agree with EA decision though). I mean, Metro Exodus at launch priced $20, that's wonderful.

I was ready to support Epic when they announced their store. And if they had released a competent store with good regional pricing, that might have paved the way for Valve and other stores to apply regional pricing in more countries. Sadly, Mr. Sweeney decided to go with exclusives, release a barebones store that not only troubles customers but also the developers, and destroy any goodwill people had.

For the sake of PC Gaming market, unless Sweeney changes and decides to stop moneyhatting developers and finish his damn store, EGS can have a slow and painful death for all I care. Meanwhile, I will continue buying games in stores that have regional pricing.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
If that were the case people would complain about Origin, uPlay, etc. Some do, but the fact that most don't kinda invalidates this line of reasoning.
Most people had no problem when VtM:Bloodlines 2 was announced for GOG, Steam and EGS. Thats the thing, as long as the games are in all platforms there is no problem.

There is some good reasoning behind what the OP says, with them actually competing on features at a certain level (giving him something no other store does). However, in most cases they didnt decide to compete that way and instead decided to force the customer's hand (and anger a ton of users).
Seeing some of the AAA companies making digs to Epic action to gain easy brownie points is still funny, and all their fault.

Edit:
I understand you OP. Besides Epic, I only get regional pricing in GOG and Nuuvem. Origin had that too, until EA got fed up of people bypassing the regional pricing with VPNs (I don't agree with EA decision though). I mean, Metro Exodus at launch priced $20, that's wonderful.

I was ready to support Epic when they announced their store. And if they had released a competent store with good regional pricing, that might have paved the way for Valve and other stores to apply regional pricing in more countries. Sadly, Mr. Sweeney decided to go with exclusives, release a barebones store that not only troubles customers but also the developers, and destroy any goodwill people had.
Main reason that Steam takes longer to add regions is because they add the currency and different regional payment methods, which takes longer.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not opposed to games coming to any store on PC, but Epic has created such a toxic atmosphere on the PC, where every new exciting game is laced with this fear that Epic will lock it behind their dumpster fire store, that I'm happy to give them the middle finger in this case.

No system warring, no bad faith acting. I just think Epic are creating a bad vibe around the platform and I want them to fail. And when they stop with their bullshit, I may buy games from them.

I'll be buying BG3 on GOG. I always do when given the choice.
So you're only upset with Epic for keeping it exclusive and moneyhatting, but you don't give a shit about the homophobia and transphobia and continuing to support GoG CDProjeckt?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I wasn't part of the celebrsting, but they deserve it for being assholes. Tim Sweeney that is

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like financially supporting stores which mainly exist to restrict consumer options, and will be happy when developers choose not to entertain that shit as well. It's nice seeing that Epic are facing consequences for all the shit they are pulling.

I want games everywhere, but anything which puts a dent into Epic I'm also okay with because they exist to make games not available everywhere. If they weren't pulling their exclusivity shit I would want everything to be there too, because I think PC games should be available everywhere. Yeah that's a bit of a weird position to be in, but I don't feel like it's completely hypocritical. I kind of like the comparison with "no tolerance for the intolerant" that was made earlier, even though those situations are obviously very different to a point where maybe it seems mental to bring them up.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I just want DRM Free installers. Or even DRM'd, but "naked" installers. I don't need or want any clients.

I was just told by a friend that Journey on the Epic Store is DRM Free once downloaded, which I'm super stoked about!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Main reason that Steam takes longer to add regions is because they add the currency and different regional payment methods, which takes longer.
I think the issue with my country is different. Our currency is USD. That said, we earn less money compared to the US. Minimum salary is $650 or $700.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It goes both ways. People praise and support EGS because it supports their currency but ignore the fact that it doesnt support others that Steam and GOG do.

Epic is pulling games from Steam and making them exclusive to their launcher. Epic doesnt support my currency so I end up having to pay more for less.

I don't feel any sympathy for a company that is making PC gaming even more expensive for me and people in my country.