• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I want to talk a bit about Luke Cage aka Power Man, because I feel like he hasn't gotten much love in this thread. Recently I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty sure he's one of my favorite Marvel characters and maybe one of my favorite superheroes because this is a guy who is just that: A guy. I mean yes, he has superpowers (unbreakable skin, which gives him superhuman strength and durability), but his powers are so simple that you almost forget he has them until the story reminds you that he does. He doesn't really even create a superhero name, just an alias to leave his old life behind and start a new life. This is a guy that just wants to do some good in the world whatever way he can, and raise a family while doing it.

Originally imprisoned by a crime he didn't commit, he served his time in a prison that ran experiments on him and gave him superpowers. Then, he went out and decided to start beating up drug dealers, street thugs, and gangsters in bad neighborhoods to help clean them up. Eventually starting Heroes for Hire with his boy Iron Fist, an agency to help out people who just need someone to help them out.

I mean yeah, this guy starts off as a means to capitalize off blaxploitation popularity, but then he got brought back in the 00's a chill bar owner. Then he becomes and Avenger, and not just an Avenger, he eventually leads the Avengers. Then he would go on to lead the Thunderbolts and help reform supervillain prisoners, and eventually create the Mighty Avengers: basically a super-sized version of Heroes for Hire, only no one is getting paid. It was a team of Avengers meant to help people.

I'm probably skipping a few things (I'll admit freely I haven't read everything with him so someone will probably have to hop in and fill the blanks), like all the on again, off again pairings with Iron Fist he keeps doing. Or how he started a family with Jessica Jones and amidst all the superheroing he does, he manages to maintain a marriage with a superhero private investigator and raise their daughter (who eventually becomes Captain America). This guy is always fighting to help the little guy. The average person. He fights to make sure this fucked up system that we have doesn't win, and that people can beat it by trying to reform prisoners and cleaning up bad neighborhoods. He's just a good fucking dude, a kickass leader, and when all is said and done he goes home to be a family man

Oh and did I mention he has superpowers?

tumblr_owyl4rW67G1taspq0o4_1280.png

6402905-3403407404-afe69.jpg

Proxima-Midnight-Luke-Cage.jpg

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
250px-Centuriusmu0.jpg

Centurius Marvel's first black supervillian was a Nobel Prize wining Geneticis in 1930 before he turned to a life of crime

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Almost forgot about the low key best action figure everyone had as a kid but didn't know where he came from, GW Bridge.

Don't know why his parents hated him enough to name him George Washington Bridge, but he turned that malice into badass spy shit.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Almost forgot about the low key best action figure everyone had as a kid but didn't know where he came from, GW Bridge.

Don't know why his parents hated him enough to name him George Washington Bridge, but he turned that malice into badass spy shit.
I clicked on this thread to say "We haven't mentioned GW Bridge yet!"

So instead I'll add Rocket Racer.

I was a skate boarder at the time so he was one of my favorites as a kid.

Rocket-Racer-Marvel-Comics-Spider-Man.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Now seems like as good a time as any to call attention to Ta-Nahesi Coates deciding to use every black hero he can find (and no one else) for the finale of Black Panther
GkMKEDi.png

On this page- Nick Fury, Night Thrasher, Miles Morales, [no idea], Misty Knight, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Casper Kole, Patriot, [no idea] Thunderball, Luke Cage, Ironheart, Cloak, Shuri, Dr. Voodoo, Rage

ELSEWHERE in this same damned issue: Storm, Monica Rambeau, Okoye, Falcon, Eden Fesi, M'baku, Blue Marvel, and someone I suspect might be Frenzy from the X-men but I can't be 100% sure.

Is this the blackest book of all time

Don't forget Batwing.

Also shout out to Battlestar whose stint as Bucky marked the first Captain America comic I ever read.

Battlestarm0.png

coincidentally, Lamar got dragged out of retirement this week too- but uh...he's probably not going to be in any shape to go anywhere for a while.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Amazing art

If we ever get another MvC game, just one black character won't cut it. It didn't in MvC3, it didn't in UMvC3, it didn't in MvCI, & it wouldn't now. You have options like...
  • Black Panther
  • Storm
  • Miles Morales
  • Ironheart
  • Moon Girl
  • Blade
  • Spectrum
  • Blue Marvel
  • Nick Fury
  • Luke Cage
The list goes on.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Just wanted to say that I don't know much of the history of black comic book characters, so I found this thread to be a great read. Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now seems like as good a time as any to call attention to Ta-Nahesi Coates deciding to use every black hero he can find (and no one else) for the finale of Black Panther
GkMKEDi.png

On this page- Nick Fury, Night Thrasher, Miles Morales, [no idea], Misty Knight, Power Man (Victor Alvarez), Casper Kole, Patriot, [no idea] Thunderball, Luke Cage, Ironheart, Cloak, Shuri, Dr. Voodoo, Rage

ELSEWHERE in this same damned issue: Storm, Monica Rambeau, Okoye, Falcon, Eden Fesi, M'baku, Blue Marvel, and someone I suspect might be Frenzy from the X-men but I can't be 100% sure.

Is this the blackest book of all time

coincidentally, Lamar got dragged out of retirement this week too- but uh...he's probably not going to be in any shape to go anywhere for a while.
It's beautiful

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
Angel Salvadore! Her and Beak's growing relation is the best part of New X-Men, and when they showed up with their hideous fly-bird hybrid babies recently, I genuinely cried.