• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Is the Black Racer meant to look like he's on skis?
Absolutely

The Black Racer's corporeal form is that of the otherwise bedridden Sgt. Willie Walker, who was paralyzed during the Vietnam War. Walker was contacted by the Source when Darkseid first brought the war of the gods to Earth, and told it was his responsibility to take on the role. The Racer makes use of what appear to be skis as his means of transport, much like how the Silver Surfer, another Kirby creation, uses a surfboard. New Gods are collected by the Racer at the moment of their deaths, and taken to Hadis (the Fourth World version of Hades).

black-racer-8.jpg

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I didn't read the comics growing up, but the TV show has turned me into a Black Lightning fan.

Black-Lightning-e1530589722591.png

I saw that Brotherman was posted and I remember my dad giving me comics of his and a poster when I was young.

Also remember Original Man vaguely

81Ou+jEMVdL.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized, no one brought up ya boy Jakeem.

He's like Kazaam brought to life. In comic book form.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Danielle Cage, the daughter of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

In every reality she becomes a superhero, mainly Captain America

This specific one (Earth-15061) originally shows up in a one-shot called Ultron Forever, but then shows up for the opening arc of Al Ewing's U.S.Avengers. In both cases fighting the Golden Skull, a pirate trying to...well he's a fucking pirate. In the first he's looting his own Earth after a natural disaster, in U.S.Avengers he's come to Earth-616 (the main Earth) to get rich.

She's one of my favorite legacy heroes and hopefully Marvel does a new Exiles series with her in it.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This specific one (Earth-15061) originally shows up in a one-shot called Ultron Forever, but then shows up for the opening arc of Al Ewing's U.S.Avengers. In both cases fighting the Golden Skull, a pirate trying to...well he's a fucking pirate. In the first he's looting his own Earth after a natural disaster, in U.S.Avengers he's come to Earth-616 (the main Earth) to get rich.

She's one of my favorite legacy heroes and hopefully Marvel does a new Exiles series with her in it.
Hell yeah! Been to long since she showed up in anything.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
824010-crimson_14.jpg

Crimson Avenger. She's like the Punisher when he became an angel as she's powered by the Spirit of Vengeance and murks fools who kill innocents.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Busting out some more X-Men:

latest

Frenzy. Strong, durable. black.

reyes-018.jpg

Cecilia Reyes. Anyone who suffered through the New Mutants movie will recognize that they made her not black. Got a badass auto-force field tho.

Roberto_da_Costa.jpg

Sunspot; he's half black. They, like plenty of other bi-racial characters, fuck up his skin tone far too often, and the movie just fucked him up altogether, but he still needs to be recognized as Afro-Brazilian.

Being brazilian and black, I was so sad to see how they whitewhashed him in the movie. It was the firts brazilian character and were the nation with the largest black population outside of Africa, so it had to be an Afro-Brazilian.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
No love for Quantum from Quantum and Woody, from Christopher Priest? Soon (hopefully) to be a TV Series from the directors who brought you Thanos killing half the Universe?

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
Kurt Busiek and Fabian Niceza were just talking about Graviton on Twitter, which reminded me of Charcoal, the winner of some Wizard create a villain contest, who they made part of the book. He was a really enjoyable character, especially under Fabe's pen... but apparently it was a headache dealing with the contest winner or somesuch (it may have been Wizard's fault... I forget) that he was unceremoniously wiped out by Graviton in T-bolts #56, never to return.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The GOAT.

Her death was an absolute gut punch and I'm still mad at Brian K Vaughan ;_;
It sucks so much. She was a great character, but it felt like they just had no idea what to do with her once the journey was finished so they just milked her sudden death for the sheer shock factor. The whole final arc was a real letdown for what was otherwise a great comic.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY

I love the cage family and Danielle.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
From the time Hal got told.

QSYDeN8.jpg

I love Green Arrow/Green Lantern. I'll never forget this page as long as I live.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a comics expert, but I'm curious which black characters people feel are most in need of an improvement.

Like M'Baku going from Man Ape to his much better representation in the movies.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The only green lantern for me is the Justice League Unlimited John Stewart one. Always feels wrong to me to see a white green lantern due to that.

I also love the character of Misty Knight in the Netflix marvel shows and I really hope she makes it into the MCU

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
With that in mind, I don't think anyone mentioned Martian Manhunter.

All of his most recent human disguises have been of black renditions of John Jones, especially in outside comics media.
Which is probably due to being voiced by Carl Lumbly in Justice League, honestly. Earlier versions of his human identity were white if I'm not mistaken. I believe Justice League New Frontier has his human identity as black as well (or at least a darker skin tone).

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
My contribution:

We are NEVER seeing this guy on the big screen. Would love to be wrong but they can't get white Superman right so...
EDIT: So we may be seeing this dude on screen after all. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The current social climate would explode at the idea of a black Superman who is a pacifist.
I'd explode because I'd want him to punch some shit, like this:

55956ba1371d2215008b5786

The arc where Superman challenged and fought against the police with DC's pastiche BLM/Occupy Wall Street protestors, but with a black Superman, would make for a great movie or HBOMax series.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a super hero but Robbie Robertson always was on of my favorite Spiderman characters when I started to read the comics after the first movie when I was a kid. He was JJJ's Chief Editor when he was introduced back in the 60s. Not really sure if marvel botched his character down the line as I probably read up to around the 10 of the essential volumes over the years which leaves plenty of years for some dumb shit.

ohmu.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
There aren't enough black Supervillains in my opinion.
Don't know if he's already been mentioned, but I am a big fan of Baxter Stockman from IDWs Ninja Turtles.

latest

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Cardiac! Dude got so pissed off that health care in the US sucks and let his brother die because profit over patient, homie took out his own heart and replaced it with an energy reactor so he can have superpowers and fuck people up.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
My contribution:

We are NEVER seeing this guy on the big screen. Would love to be wrong but they can't get white Superman right so...
Yeah, they need to get white Superman right... they need to prove they know what they're doing with these characters and be consistent.

I love this thread by the way and that new Static design is probably perfect.