• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Most ceiling fans I've seen only have one switch. And that's solely reserved for speed.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yep, I knew about this. And in all the apartments I've lived in since knowing this, my fan switch has always been set to the "cool" setting, so I never touch it. I'm usually already running the furnace during the colder months anyway, so I don't fuck with changing it the other way.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Do you know many millennials building homes from scratch? How would they ever have the opportunity to read a ceiling fan instruction manual?

I've never built a home from scratch. I knew about this as a kid. It's why the blades are angled. One direction blows down, the other blows up.

Knew about this, but I have to google the direction to swap every time the seasons change.

Summer = blows down.
Winter = blows up.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish my cielling fan had labels for the switch, Im.always confused on which way is winter and which way is summer

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is only a vaguely related question but the air in my apartment feels really dry lately despite the humidity of summer. My eyes have been watering a lot, which causes the skin around the edges of my eyes to dry out and turn red. I got a humidity monitor and it says the humidity in my apartment is consistently around 35-45% which is considered normal. I do run ceiling fans, air conditioning, and other fans a lot, and I tried turning them all off and using a humidifier, which sort of helped, but it's weird that I have to go through all this when it's 90 degrees outside and like 75% humidity. Is this related to my fan and air conditioner settings?

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Y'know. I knew this, but I'm not gonna get on people that didn't considering I didn't know that a pony isn't just a baby horse lmao

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know fans spin in different directions but all I see is a light switch on the wall that flicks up and down or a little cable you pull on the fan to manually turn on the light while keeping the fan running.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OH MY GOD. I just climbed up to my fan and found the switch. It was on reverse so I switched it to forward and it is soooo much cooler now.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
They have them in the Philippines which is strange since there's no such thing as cold weather there.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
There's a SWITCH???? O_o

Edit- Holy Shit mine's has the switch!!!!!!

Last edited:

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This is only a vaguely related question but the air in my apartment feels really dry lately despite the humidity of summer. My eyes have been watering a lot, which causes the skin around the edges of my eyes to dry out and turn red. I got a humidity monitor and it says the humidity in my apartment is consistently around 35-45% which is considered normal. I do run ceiling fans, air conditioning, and other fans a lot, and I tried turning them all off and using a humidifier, which sort of helped, but it's weird that I have to go through all this when it's 90 degrees outside and like 75% humidity. Is this related to my fan and air conditioner settings?
Air conditioners do dehumidify the air.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Air conditioners do dehumidify the air.

Yeah I'm guessing it's your AC, BDS

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a pretty hot climate, so in the winter I typically just turn it off rather than run it in "cold weather" mode.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised that some people don't know something. But this is such a basic function, Jesus Christ. The fact that it somehow went viral just upsets me.

That being said, "cold weather" mode has always felt like a waste of electricity to me. I just don't use it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Make sure you wipe the dust off the blades if you're going to switch it. I used to forget to do this and it throws big dust bunnies all around the room and HOORAY you have to clean everything in the room now.

Also: if your room is really small, like if you're in an efficiency or in a tiny bedroom with only enough room for your bed, you might as well just leave it in hot weather (blowing down) mode since it won't make much difference. Also depends on how the place is cooled and the constructions etc but it shouldn't matter much.

My bedroom is super tiny and has no windows, but also has no door because it's technically a "studio" even though it has 4 walls. I just leave it on down mode all year and I'm fine.