• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017

(An update June 2020: multiple former co-workers of hers have spoken out about her being racist, transphobic, and inappropriate in her handling of sensitive stories. I sincerely regret boosting her.)

In 2018 Cecilia wrote the expose on Riot that led to a $10 million settlement just this week, and she's been one of the best investigative journalists in gaming for years now.

It's a loss for Kotaku, but I'm wishing her the best and looking forward to what she can do at Wired.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Huge loss for Kotaku. Thanks for posting this though, I would not have known otherwise!

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge fan of Cecilia's work. Know she'll keep on doing incredible things with Wired.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
She's fantastic and Wired's stock just went up quite a bit in my mind. I'm glad she'll get to keep doing the hard hitting investigative reporting she's been doing over the past few years. Her reporting has actually made a tangible positive difference.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck to her, will continue following her amazing work

My heart goes out to everybody she's hurt, and everybody who's lives she's made harder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GSR

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really keep up with things, whats the expose on Riot?

kotaku.com

Inside The Culture Of Sexism At Riot Games

Throughout her three years at Riot Games, the company behind League of Legends, Lacy made it her mission to hire a woman into a leadership role. Lacy had heard plenty of excuses for why her female job candidates weren’t Riot material. Some were “ladder climbers.” Others had “too much ego.” Most...

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
That' should read Writer's Guild of America award-winning investigative reporter Cecilia D'Anastasio.

Looking forward to her work at Wired!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck for her future work at Wired. Her work over the past couple of years has been great.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Big get for Wired! Best of luck to her, looking forward to more scoops in the future.

Oh, also, I suppose it's not a surprise to learn this, but is this the first time we've heard that G-O disbanded Kotaku's investigative team?

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Damn what a get for Wired. I haven't been paying attention much to them, I wonder what they're planning? I wonder if she'll stay on the games beat or go more general?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Great for wired and Cecilia, but I am sad for Kotaku. Good thing they still have plenty of awesome people though.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'd wish her good luck, but she doesn't need it. Congrats to her, can't wait to see what she does at Wired.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
She's always been nice. She DMed me for a story she never put out. But I was sad to see all that yesterday and believe Gita and all the other accusers

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Unsurprised to see that update after her Riot coverage. Lots of inaccuracies in there.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Gita's tweets while they were up, but didn't screencap them. If I recall, stories about Gita not getting promised credit on stories, being asked to explain Black slang for coworkers, and a few other things. I can't remember fully, unfortunately, but they were all pretty shitty.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Gita Jackson put out a tweet, and i saw at least Heather Alexander replying. I took a picture of the tweet...but honestly I have no idea how to upload it lol

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

Reading that article again and indeed it's... very uncomfortable in places.

Cecilia: That article reads, "They wanted to find a way for it to be revealed naturally and make it part of the unfolding story."

I feel that the comic did that. Tracer buys her partner a scarf. Her partner likes it. They kiss. The comic moves on. I think it was handled quite well, although the idea of Blizzard announcing a queer character feels sort of…. gimmicky.

---

Cecilia: I like that. I think it's good that you can let lore matter as much or as little as you want.

For some people, it will mean a lot that Tracer dates a woman. For some, it's like, okay, I really like fucking up backlines, so I'll pick Tracer. Boom. Whatever.

Heather: For myself, I go the other way. Queerness or other traits are integral parts of people's character and being. The idea that we could separate them so easily troubles me, to be honest.

---

Cecilia: But then how do you toe the line between sensationalizing it and not saying anything about it at all?

Riley: I mean, that's one of the really hard things about writing nuanced queer characters, or 'diverse' characters of any type. How to not be reductive or dismissive.

Gita: I think, Cecilia, the problem arises when you take a step back and see what, if at all, Blizzard has done in terms of queer characterization. And it's just this: Tracer kissed a woman. The rest of it is on the backs of the fans, which doesn't make me feel awesome.

---

Cecilia: Right, but what's the solution?

It's easy to talk about what we don't like. But I'm just so happy that the token Overwatch character is a queer woman. I think that's great. Blizzard thought about diversity a lot for Overwatch and it shows in the game. Sure, it's a marketing technique, but it doesn't feel forced or gimmicky aside from how Tracer's queerness was teased.

Gita: Well, Heather wrote this awesome piece for Giant Bomb about a possible solution: hire more LGBT to tell their own stories.

Heather: I think an important thing to stress is that presenting something isn't necessarily as involved as integrating it. How that integration occurs can take many forms.

Riley: The solution I always offered, which is going to read as weird, is this: Trans people—and 'diverse' characters in general—are people. Your characters want the things people want, which is pretty much anything under the sun. How that lives out in the world of a game is tricky, maybe, since characters in Overwatch are, by nature, reduced to being able to do very little besides shoot, but that's where I always go to.

Cecilia: At some point, we have to say "Good job."

Gita: Well, I don't think this is that point.

https://kotaku.com/our-thoughts-on-overwatchs-tracer-being-gay-1790338620

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
These are different than what I saw. Gita had a few tweets yesterday full-on putting her on blast. I'm looking, but I can't find screens of them

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I like Gita and Heather and it sickens me to think I liked Cecilia too. Seems like she's a shitty person after all.