• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 19, 2020
anecdotal but every asian kid ive known that was born and raised here didnt have an asian accent.And I grew up around alot of asians.

but if you wanna run with the narrative that asians born and raised in america probably have an asian accent. Then so be it, but that shit lowkey racist imo.

It's case by case. Some immigrant parents are adamant that their kids learning English or kicking their accents and some don't see it as an issue.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of folks look at this game and think 9/10. Really telling about the industry as a whole.
The industry repeatedly praises GTA year after year which is walking talking racism,sexism, anti-trans etc. In fact the question is will GTA finally get held accountable for what its done for a decade now. GTA just hides all its awfulness by claiming its a parody of America so Post Op jokes etc are suddenly ok

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...........not every first generation immigrant is Asian.

Im also not saying everyone has an accent? Some people do and others don't

thats the argument tho, all the asian characters in this game have asian accents, even tho they are in america. I mean, thats partly what this whole thread is about.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a bad understanding of the thread and a dumb hill to die on.

I don't misunderstand the thread? But when people just randomly accuse other users of being racist how the fuck is that okay?

None of that changes the fact that cdpr is a shit company and that they have the full responsibility for the horrible things in their games. This goes all the way back to the cards in Witcher 1.

But it's not racist to have issues with the source material as well.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
i dont disagree with that and never said as such. You said you never seen street vendors in asia selling asian dishes, I am disputing that part.
I didn't say that Asian street vendors don't sell Asian food. What I'm just trying to say is that I have never seen anyone selling Japanese dishes along with a typical Chinese takeout box, while wearing an Asian farmer's hat.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that Asian street vendors don't sell Asian food. What I'm just trying to say is that I have never seen anyone selling Japanese dishes along with a typical Chinese takeout box, while wearing an Asian farmer's hat.

i kinda just honed in on you saying sushi. Its true about the chinese boxes. Thats more of an american takeout thing. The farmers hat tho Ive seen but it doesnt really justify its use

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Expert? No. But i am a POC who grew up in a place where Hispanics and Asians outnumber White people speaking about my personal experience. What about you?

same. Some of the hispanics I grew up with have accents and some dont. Why that is, I dont know. But pretty much every asian I grew up with didnt have an accent unless they hadnt been in the country for a long time and were foreign born.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't there some cars which, in the real world, are over-represented (or at least over-targeted) in certain types of crimes? Tying standard statistics language to a racism meme is...well, it's not my first thought.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
thats the argument tho, all the asian characters in this game have asian accents, even tho they are in america. I mean, thats partly what this whole thread is about.

Not to say it's supposed to be 2077. The likelihood of all Asian characters speaking in stereotypical accent should be far lesser.

I mean I have friends who leave my country to work in the US for a few years and they come back with an pseudo American accent, that they can code switch to when they speak to Americans, while retaining our local accent when they speak to locals.

Aren't there some cars which, in the real world, are over-represented (or at least over-targeted) in certain types of crimes? Like I think I've read that red cars, for instance, are in more ticketing incidents than other cars, despite being no more common. Tying standard statistics language to a racism meme is...a little far, to me.

Not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The more I see of this game the less I want to even play it anymore. This sucks :( I was super big on the witcher 3 as well. But this just seems to be a lesser game with more bigotry etc.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
same. Some of the hispanics I grew up with have accents and some dont. Why that is, I dont know. But pretty much every asian I grew up with didnt have an accent unless they hadnt been in the country for a long time and were foreign born.

I know a lot of suburban schools like to heavily push kids Accent Modification programs, that definitely accounts for some of it. Lots of my friends have been through that ringer as kids, quite a few of them feel some kinda way about it looking back.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
The goodwill that CDPR build up was all about being consumer friendly to gamers, which at that time means not putting in any Microtransactions into the game and having fully fleshed out DLC contents.

Nothing about any social goodwill.
Even then shipping completely broken unplayable garbage and hiding the console versions from reviewers so that the MC score isn't affected is pretty scummy and anti consumer.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
It really feels like CDPR's understanding of Cyberpunk might as well be boiled down to "we did some light research of 80s/90s "cyberpunk" scifi and it was very edgy, full of stereotypes and had all of these corporations running things!" just the most surface-level BS with a property that has evolved so much over the course of the last 20+ years thanks to varied views on the genre that expanded the scope of its aesthetic and vision.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I've run into guys with a "faaaabulous" gay "accent" a few times, like cartoonishly camp. It's pretty awful. Masc V can also only sound like the whitest white dude with no customization options.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The more I see of this game the less I want to even play it anymore. This sucks :( I was super big on the witcher 3 as well. But this just seems to be a lesser game with more bigotry etc.
Witcher series got plenty of its own bigotry, like the misogyny.
www.resetera.com

The Witcher 3: Misogyny in my video game? More likely than you think

So I decided to finally try out the Witcher 3 after hearing pretty much everyone and their mother speak about how amazing the game is--barring the combat, of course. I borrowed a copy off a friend as I don't personally feel comfortable giving CDPR money with the Cyberpunk/transphobia situation...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher series got plenty of its own bigotry, like the misogyny.
www.resetera.com

The Witcher 3: Misogyny in my video game? More likely than you think

So I decided to finally try out the Witcher 3 after hearing pretty much everyone and their mother speak about how amazing the game is--barring the combat, of course. I borrowed a copy off a friend as I don't personally feel comfortable giving CDPR money with the Cyberpunk/transphobia situation...
And that is why I said "more".

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
It really feels like CDPR's understanding of Cyberpunk might as well be boiled down to "we did some light research of 80s/90s "cyberpunk" scifi and it was very edgy, full of stereotypes and had all of these corporations running things!" just the most surface-level BS with a property that has evolved so much over the course of the last 20+ years thanks to varied views on the genre that expanded the scope of its aesthetic and vision.

This is it exactly, feels do like an 80s/90s vibe. Black people talk with slang, russian are also a stereo type, asian people are awfully represented and the list goes on. It feels very cheesy and in this day and age and sometimes even offensive. It feels like im watching a late 80s begin 90s B action flick.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Not excusing CDPR at all but I think Mike Pondsmith should be included in the blame for some of these dumb choices too

This sounds like an excuse to point blame at the source material when the author is a pretty unproblematic individual, who is aware of and comments on stereotyping and appropriation in his work.

Yeah, a lot of the material is an extrapolation of his original work, which was based on 80s/early 90s tropes. It's pretty shitty, but then again, when your majority of your creative department is made up of a single demographic in Poland who barely interact with minorities beyond tired pop-culture icons this is the expected result.

Also, side-note, I thought it was really shitty of CDPR to keep trotting out Pondsmith to act as a shield whenever they got criticized for having dumb ethnic stereotypes.

It's the use of Pondsmith as a kind of "see, we're working with a Black creative so we can't possibly be racist or have racial blind spots" that comes across so gross to me.

You are excusing CDPR. The Black dude who wrote the TTRPG back in the 80's isn't responsible for their inclusion of 4chan memes about "Black crime", or for giving all the Asian characters ridiculous accents.

I agree with this, a 40 year old TTRPG is going to have outdated and potentially offensive content, but there's no excuse for people in this decade to allow those to continue.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It was never in Japan. there's so much Japanese shit because westerners (and I guess people in Europe) love consuming their culture. Clearly the examples in the OP feels like a bunch of people exploiting and stereotyping it.
I guess that's the one time it's better they saw Bladerunner trying to scare people about a future where japan owns america because that was a fear of the 80s, and said "wow cool future" instead of "wow cool political statement".

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So why exactly is this offensive again? I'm a german dude and I'm not offended a single bit when I see Lederhosen dudes or terrible german accents in gaming. On the contrary... I find it quite funny.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
So why exactly is this offensive again? I'm a german dude and I'm not offended a single bit when I see Lederhosen dudes or terrible german accents in gaming. On the contrary... I find it quite funny.

Power relationships between races and racial history. Have you ever been mocked in a German accent by strangers? Because plenty of Asians have even been in an Asian accent when they speak perfect English.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Power relationships between races and racial history. Have you ever been mocked in a German accents by strangers? Because plenty of Asians have even been in an Asian accent when they speak perfect English.

No I have not tbh. Even at the time where I lived in the states and my English was by far not as good as it is today.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

there's a big difference between someone poking fun at cultures that aren't the subject of historic and institutionalized racism and those that are. One of which is just a joke and the other enforced long running racist sentiments, stereotypes, and usually dehumanizes people of that group.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Racism Over Multiple Posts
there's a big difference between someone poking fun at cultures that aren't the subject of historic and institutionalized racism and those that are. One of which is just a joke and the other enforced long running racist sentiments, stereotypes, and usually dehumanizes people of that group.
Hm okay. Didn't see it from that angle. It's nice at least to get some real answers and not only offended oneliners as usual.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This is it exactly, feels do like an 80s/90s vibe. Black people talk with slang, russian are also a stereo type, asian people are awfully represented and the list goes on. It feels very cheesy and in this day and age and sometimes even offensive. It feels like im watching a late 80s begin 90s B action flick.
In other words they're trying to invoke the nostalgia of when media was more offensive to any marginalized people, using a setting that even at the time was taken by more conservative people to be asperational more than dystopic.

Anyone looking for the message inherently underlining narrative driven works, maybe that's your answer for this game.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad I was never invested in this game, because every new thing I read about it makes it sound worse than the last.

Basically, it's a transphobic, sexist and racist dumpster fire of a game that is so full of bugs that it doesn't even work properly, while at the same time forcing the development team to work inhumane hours until the bitter end.

9/10.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
really? it's minorities fault for being "offended" when presented with racism/phobia? and on us to educate you on some real basic shit?

Oh yeah. You didn't know? If some random person doesn't get upset at people mocking their German accent, nobody else has the right to get offended. Era logic.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
1. Most people don't know or care about it.
2. Most people don't care about it as long as it's not about them personally.
3. Most people don't know or care about it.
4. People are pissed and want to sue CDPR over it.

Priorities...

What a shit world we live in.

They already earned the full development and marketing costs back.

www.pcgamer.com

After eight years of development, Cyberpunk 2077 made a profit in one day

CD Projekt says the game earned back its development and in-house marketing costs from preorders alone.

Big hit in china even though it's not even released there yet.

They are beloved and nothing they did will change that.

The biggest problem they're facing is the shit performance of the base console version.

The world has gone mad. Nobody cares...

Well, the game seems to be dubbed in Chinese, so the accent thing is not shown.
At least what I've seen from this easter egg finder person video