• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That's bad. However, I wonder if they were trying to copy Blade Runner a little too hard in this case because I remember seeing the same kind of Asian stereotypes in the movie. Either way, it's no excuse for including that kind of shit in a game in fucking 2020.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
..... Fuck me at that Vietnamese's hat wearing Asian lady.

Jesus fuck that is racist as fuck.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be fair, this game is set in Japan right? So in that sense, it kinda would make sense alot of the asian characters have a japanese accent. But, you are right, not all the asian characters should be like that.

Tryxx

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Posting
Serious question but most people on here seem to hate this company and think very negatively about this game but all of you are talking about what missions you are doing and the experiences you are having.. why did you give your money and support this terrible company? I really don't get it.

Hooks

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, to be fair, this game is set in Japan right? So in that sense, it kinda would make sense alot of the asian characters have a japanese accent. But, you are right, not all the asian characters should be like that.
Nah, "Night City is an American megacity in the Free State of North California"

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Night City is an American megacity in the Free State of North California

oh shit. wtf? that doesnt even make sense. Theres so much japanese shit everywhere and Cyberpunk originally was set in japan right?

<edit> and yea, considering it's in "Merica" it is inexcusable now. regardless of the Bladerunner influence. Totally changes my whole view on this shit

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
oh shit. wtf? that doesnt even make sense. Theres so much japanese shit everywhere and Cyberpunk originally was set in japan right?

It was never in Japan. there's so much Japanese shit because westerners (and I guess people in Europe) love consuming their culture. Clearly the examples in the OP feels like a bunch of people exploiting and stereotyping it.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was never in Japan. there's so much Japanese shit because westerners (and I guess people in Europe) love consuming their culture. Clearly the examples in the OP feels like a bunch of people exploiting and stereotyping it.

yea i googled it. i typically assumed cyberpunk was in japan cause of akira (And i know akira isnt cyberpunk, but aesthetically speaking it reminds me of cyberpunk) and all the japanese shit in cyberpunk type shit.. but damn, these poland dudes wild.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Lol no
831-C5320-787-D-4893-B428-2-BF52-C690-AD9.jpg

54-B8486-C-B6-C3-4-F96-95-F9-FC3-D9-D661-BFE.jpg

58-F44818-F437-423-F-A4-A8-CF11752-D988-B.jpg

Only randomly generated, say-nothing phrases designed to end up in an ad quote

To put it quite bluntly, like with many games, esp. that are this expansive, the best and most in-depth reviews generally come after many months, if not a year and more in long format videos from people like Chris Davis, Matthewmatosis, hbomberguy, Errant Signal etc who generally delve deep into topics ranging from internal mechanics and logic to how the narrative fits within the context of politics and culture of its time, diagetically, non-diagetically and our time.

The reviews that generally accompany game launches are mostly good for sussing out whether there are technical shortcomings for the platform the title being on reviewed on and beyond that certain technical and superficial achievements and features.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk as a genre is founded on phobias of Asia. It's theoretically possible for modern cyberpunk works to detach the aesthetic from the racism, but it's not like CDPR is trying.

This thread is a pretty good breakdown of how the "asian aesthetic in american cities" thing was rooted in american fears from the 80s that Japan and China would take over the world by economic force:

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
That's bad. However, I wonder if they were trying to copy Blade Runner a little too hard in this case because I remember seeing the same kind of Asian stereotypes in the movie. Either way, it's no excuse for including that kind of shit in a game in fucking 2020.
You mean that movie from nearly 40 years ago?

<edit> and yea, considering it's in "Merica" it is inexcusable now. regardless of the Bladerunner influence. Totally changes my whole view on this shit
Japanese influence comes from Arasaka basically owning the city. Started back in the early 90's I think in the Lore. Night City was always in Cali

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
There's a loooot gross stuff to unpack in this game and I people will work through in time. There's a thin line that I feel like CDPR thought they could walk but they fumble it so damned hard.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Serious question but most people on here seem to hate this company and think very negatively about this game but all of you are talking about what missions you are doing and the experiences you are having.. why did you give your money and support this terrible company? I really don't get it.

D0vLO7eWwAAXyvi.png

I mean, really?

Btw - I don't - you should be allowed to consume media and criticize it, lol

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But I was told that the black guy that made the tabletop Game was black and was stated many times that he was black so that means the game is not racist cos he was an adviser, a fact stated many times by dudes with Cyberpunk avatars.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PDXi.gif

You'd think Cyberpunk as a genre would have progressed past poorly aging racial tropes and yet here we are.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only way for me to be able to counter this in the game is to make my next main character an asian one

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You'd think Cyberpunk as a genre would have progressed past poorly aging racial tropes and yet here we are.

I can see why we might think that. I cannot, however, imagine why anyone would think CDPR would be the developer to do so. This train wreck was evident from miles away, which is why I have only been watching from a distance and not getting invested in the crazy notion that this might turn out to be a worthwhile game.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are complexities at play in showing a future with a lot of Asian imagery. A lot of sci-fi runs on the idea that the future will continue to get more global, and the reality of the world we live in now is that the humanity is not nearly as white as those living in the west see. India and China have populations comparable to most continents, and we've already seen a lot of the erosion of white European global hegemony. I don't think it's necessarily fetishistic or racist.

But a lot of its presence in '80s movies was due to the more specific concern of seeing the Japanese economic bubble and viewing it as inevitable that it would eventually encroach onto America, whether it's something viewed with outright dread or simply seen as an inevitability.

Anyhow, I wouldn't expect CD Projekt Red to have a particularly thoughtful take on that particular subject matter.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Again, the Asian stereotypes from 1980s didn't make them put in that atrocious dialogue or a dig at BLM. That was all CDPR.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
There's some inexcusable stuff but the accent thing makes sense considering the amount of NPCs that speak non-English languages and aren't from the US. A lot of the times it feels like English is only really used when a character is speaking directly to the player, context and area in the game really matters when it comes to spoken language. I actually really like the subtitle translation effect that pops up when seeing NPCs speak to each other outside of dialogue sequences.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are complexities at play in showing a future with a lot of Asian imagery. A lot of sci-fi runs on the idea that the future will continue to get more global, and the reality of the world we live in now is that the humanity is not nearly as white as those living in the west see.
Yeah I think that's the path forward if you like this kind of imagery (I do like the neon kanji aesthetic, so). But it's an easier sell for a utopian future rather than a dystopian one.

Jul 20, 2020
I think that it was trying to borrow from Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell without really changing the lens through a 2020 lens. Cyberpunk is very much a futuristic game set through a 1980s lens, cause much of it feels like an outdated 1980s action film. That being said I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, and appreciate it has a good character creator for black people, cause we usually get afro, cornrows or generic locs and that's pretty much it. I'm still early in so maybe the game will address more social issues, but as of right now it is definitely just a cyberpunk playground and that's a bit disappointing.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
People knew this game would treat minorities badly since the first few trailers came out so I'm not shocked to see this but It's still sad to see. The inclusion of the Far-Right meme is just inexcusable.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Games media should be ashamed to endorse this. Fuck'em.

Yeah idk how a lot of the bigger sites are just discussing this game at length, writing about it, profiting off of advertising it and just sailing by stuff like this. It feels weird because they must be aware of it on some level

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Drive-By Posting and Thread Derailment
I'm glad this thread exists, but a hotly requested PC performance thread isn't allowed.

Hey mods, what the hell? This site is so ridiculous sometimes it's like doing mental gymnastics every time you want to post to try to understand.

As for the topic at hand, are we really surprised at CD Red's handling of anything? These guys are out on Mars making games completely removed from reality.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists, but a hotly requested PC performance thread isn't allowed.

Hey mods, what the hell? This site is so ridiculous sometimes it's like doing mental gymnastics every time you want to post to try to understand.

As for the topic at hand, are we really surprised at CD Red's handling of anything? These guys are out on Mars making games completely removed from reality.
There's a slight difference in the subject matter of this thread than in a potential PC performance thread, and subsequently, there's a slight difference in the discussion you'd find here than you'd find there.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

You're free to post and discuss pc performance in the main thread. CDPR isn't getting any additional free positive press on this site, and for good reason.

This thread exists to highlight another negative aspect of the game beyond the earlier well known transphobia.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

I know you already know the reason and are just looking for a place to complain about it, but it's hardly "mental gymnastics" to follow when the community has had a pinned thread discussing how to handle the game for months, as well as a pinned post in the OT explaining their decision.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
Starting to think they should have spent less time browsing 8chan and more time making sure that their game can run above 19fps

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

People are discussing that stuff in the OT.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I know you already know the reason and are just looking for a place to complain about it, but it's hardly "mental gymnastics" to follow when the community has had a pinned thread discussing how to handle the game for months, as well as a pinned post in the OT explaining their decision.

To be fair, the OT also says;

This OT will consolidate topics like review metascores to cut down the number of threads on the game. Any thread about Cyberpunk 2077 beyond this one must be exceptionally newsworthy or have practical value. If you're uncertain as to if a thread should be made, please consult a mod captain before making that thread.

A PC performance thread would have practical value.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the OT also says;

This OT will consolidate topics like review metascores to cut down the number of threads on the game. Any thread about Cyberpunk 2077 beyond this one must be exceptionally newsworthy or have practical value. If you're uncertain as to if a thread should be made, please consult a mod captain before making that thread.

A PC performance thread would have practical value.
I would argue a performance thread, in general, would have practical value!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Can you people not fucking derail this thread with your meta-whining? Thanks.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Do y'all think it has to do with them being Polish? I'm not too sure what Poland is like but I assume they don't come across many minorities in their country.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Not surprised. One of the most celebrated quests in Witcher 3 basically is written sympathetically toward a domestic abuser b/c he feels bad there were some consequences from it and was nice to Ciri once

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Do y'all think it has to do with them being Polish? I'm not too sure what Poland is like but I assume they don't come across many minorities in their country.
Perhaps they're just assholes.

Racist, transphobic assholes whose idea of quality dialogue writing includes having a character repeat "Kiss my tits, Punk!" over and over and over again.

Maybe they're just a bunch of fucking assholes.