• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This misuse of 4 decade old cyberpunk tropes went from ignorant over to lazy to, well, pretty racist. Sure, you could use it in a self referencing, parodying way but this is just shameful and disappointing...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played about an hour of the game, but it's already doing that thing with Jackie where they let you know he's Hispanic by throwing in random Spanish words here and there. Because that's how you know somebody is Hispanic. With a "cabron" here and a "pendejo" there.
I really don't understand how games are always getting this shit wrong. Like in TLoU2, I'm pretty sure there's a scene where Manny speaks perfect Spanish to his father for a line or two. That's literally all they needed but instead they choose to give him an accent and throw in some Spanish words every other line. Is it so hard to understand that most Hispanic people don't talk like that?

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
with the clesr transphobia, the state of Poland , why are people acting like what OP is saying is far fetched lmao

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Of course the only South Asian character I've seen in media of this game is a taxi driver:
131373488_1720242248151127_3441755260333945618_n.jpg

It's no comfort but at least you can make a proper hero. :)

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
That is a reference to The Office.

I'm not an Office fan, but the earliest post I can find about this quickly on Google from the Office is back in 2011. Sooooooo, a reference to an arguably racist characterization, from an episode of a television show from 9 years ago, at least, is supposed to make me give them a pass on this?

No thanks. That's gross.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OYE CHICA LET'S ROLL WITH THOSE BRUJA VATOS ESE...

pretty much every time Jackie speaks

So much shit in this game was obviously written by people with no actual experience with what they were writing about. Completely informed by stereotypes. People, places, customs, slang and turns of phrase... it's the weirdest mix of racial stereotypes and poor localization.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought a bunch of white dudes from Eastern Europe were going to tackle this poorly.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This is laughably bad. How can you spend millions of dollars on a game with thousands of educated professionals and yet still get something like this so completely wrong. Also I can only imagine that their studio is infested with altright edgelords.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. They don't want to lose their access.
GameSpot's talked a bit about it. Not specifically about the examples in the OP, but how a lot of the cultures and social groups incorporated into the game are often too shallow in their representation or even offensive.
Lol no
831-C5320-787-D-4893-B428-2-BF52-C690-AD9.jpg

54-B8486-C-B6-C3-4-F96-95-F9-FC3-D9-D661-BFE.jpg

58-F44818-F437-423-F-A4-A8-CF11752-D988-B.jpg

Only randomly generated, say-nothing phrases designed to end up in an ad quote
Why am I not surprised?

Gaming journalism is a joke. Though I feel that journalists are not the only ones to blame. Seeing how the gamespot review was received (and that's a review that is too kind for the game) I feel gamers share the blame.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
OYE CHICA LET'S ROLL WITH THOSE BRUJA VATOS ESE...

pretty much every time Jackie speaks

So much shit in this game was obviously written by people with no actual experience with the things they were writing about. Completely informed by stereotypes.
I was
honestly glad when Jackie died because I couldn't stand his dialogue

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not great. If you want to be charitable, you could say it's an hommage to classic cyberpunk tropes but it's not good.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Again, trying to shift responsibility for the racism in the game away from the company that made it and onto a Black man is racist.
Is the world that binary to you? I give up, you aren't gonna understand what im trying to say.

What about the transphobia stuff too, is he immune to being a transphobe because hes a minority?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a cyberpunk setting is probably appropriate for some* amount of poor English and fragmented accents but the fact that the game is almost completely built on it is kinda... Dated?

I'm enjoying it so far but it's probably closer in tone to the juvenile Far Cry New Dawn than any cyberpunk fiction I can think of. Hell, even Ready Player One celebrates Japan in some relatively wholesome ways that don't rely solely on tedious racial tropes.

The biggest surprise for me in this game is just how immature it all is - even compared to TW3. It's like what a Polish studio THINKS people like about GTA without actually looking at why the world of GTA works to begin with.

Muaddib

Oct 25, 2017
how is the table top game in regards to this?

was CDPR following that world or doing their own thing?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think a cyberpunk setting is probably appropriate for some* amount of poor English and fragmented accents but the fact that the game is almost completely built on it is kinda... Dated?

I'm enjoying it so far but it's probably closer in tone to the juvenile Far Cry New Dawn than any cyberpunk fiction I can think of. Hell, even Ready Player One celebrates Japan in some relatively wholesome ways that don't rely solely on tedious racial tropes.

The biggest surprise for me in this game is just how immature it all is - even compared to TW3. It's like what a Polish studio THINKS people like about GTA without actually looking at why the world of GTA works to begin with.

Pretty much. Its GTA with a cyberpunk coating.
While I do enjoy the main story, Witcher was a much better game quite frankly.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

This picture is inaccurate because 2077's portrayal of the future is grimy and unattractive. The technological advancements don't really have that sense of awe for me and come across as nightmarish. The body modification stuff feels more confronting than how it was represented in Deus Ex - a much more WOW! COOL FUTURE game. I actually wish there was some 'WOW! COOL FUTURE' stuff in there because what I'm playing ain't attractive.

Jan 10, 2018
I just can't wrap my head around the throught process behind these decisions. Like, I imagine them having a meeting and discussing these things but I have no idea how they can come to the decisions that end up in the game. They are so out of touch with the real world.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you played Pondsmiths rpg?
1. It's a closed question.
2. I did, I even mastered C2077 game with the original rulebook in the 90s.
3. It's not the problem, you don't keep Lovecraft's frontal racism when you adapt it.
4. At least bring proper and documented exemples that could eventually lead to a discussion.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
All the racist and bigoted missteps have certainly diminished my enjoyment of the game. I honestly think the game could have been even more interesting and enjoyable had CDPR portrayed minorities and other marginalized group's appropriately and engage with them and even had their advisement in what they might see their groups as in this setting. It's so sad, disappointing, and angering that they took this route of portrayal. It turned a game I thought would be my favorite game of all time to something I am struggling to enjoy outside of the core storyline(in broad strokes), the technological feat of graphical prowess, and the physical design of the world (buildings, cars, armor, guns, etc.).

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
1. Most people don't know or care about it.
2. Most people don't care about it as long as it's not about them personally.
3. Most people don't know or care about it.
4. People are pissed and want to sue CDPR over it.

Priorities...

What a shit world we live in.

They already earned the full development and marketing costs back.

www.pcgamer.com

After eight years of development, Cyberpunk 2077 made a profit in one day

CD Projekt says the game earned back its development and in-house marketing costs from preorders alone.

Big hit in china even though it's not even released there yet.

They are beloved and nothing they did will change that.

The biggest problem they're facing is the shit performance of the base console version.

The world has gone mad. Nobody cares...

For once I hope that China's overbearing media authority bans this game. Even though I believe most gamers buy parallel imports anyway.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I had the refund tab in my Steam open for a while - it's about time I just clicked it instead of finding saving graces for this game.

It's exactly why I stopped paying attention to reviews a very long time ago.

Yeah. The game is alright but all the topical issues make me cringe and embarassed to play it. I am glad I jumped ship around two hours into it.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Obviously I wasn't talking about the fucking 4 Chan meme .

The man literally said multiple times he's heavily involved in the development of the game. A character like Jackie and some other prominent Asian characters are also weird stereotypes too. He definitely knew about those main characters.
The accents and some 4 Chan meme in some random book in the game aren't even close to the only issues.

Yes cdpr are 99% the reason the shit is so dumb but he definitely has a say in it. This isn't the Witcher situation.

I'm not excusing anything from anyone
Mike didn't write the game. 2077 was written by two white dudes, Sebastian Stepien and Stanislaw Swiecicki.

img

He probably had a consultancy role, so he might approve of certain things adapted from his tabletop game, but not likely the script or character designs.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
From the "brilliant" devs who had a "collecting women cards" mini-game, a Playboy magazine with a fully naked 3D model of Triss, and one single person of color in a whole franchise (but only in one expansion) comes... The whole fuck-up that is Cyberpunk 2077.

Not surprised.

Summed it up nicely in one single paragraph.

Don't forget that they had the Playboy cover of Triss hanging in the office during the W2 days for every one in the studio to look at while working...

I just can't wrap my head around the throught process behind these decisions. Like, I imagine them having a meeting and discussing these things but I have no idea how they can come to the decisions that end up in the game. They are so out of touch with the real world.

1. the studio is by far mostly white
2. the studio is located in Poland, a country that is rife with racism and severe anti-LGBTQ politics with a far-right party as the majority party

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well these are the same guys who forgot to put POC in TW3 while citing "historical accuracy" (yknow, in a fucking fantasy game) until they got backlash...

Just another reason I'll be buying Baldurs Gate 3 and replaying Hades over this Winter break in blissful ignorance about anything else about this game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Mike didn't write the game. 2077 was written by two white dudes, Sebastian Stepien and Stanislaw Swiecicki.

img

He probably had a consultancy role, so he might approve of certain things adapted from his tabletop game, but not likely the script or character designs.
Hope he didn't. I wish were could get his real opinion on some of the things. Would be interesting, probably can't happen due to contracts and stuff . He's playing it again right now though.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL I really bet on the wrong horse here huh

I remember back in September when I knew very little about this game and I brought the special xbox cause I thought it looked cool, was on sale and I needed something to play Panzer Dragoon Orta on.

I now feel like a massive tool despite not knowing what a mess this was going to be till then.

Don't pre order games yall.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not an Office fan, but the earliest post I can find about this quickly on Google from the Office is back in 2011. Sooooooo, a reference to an arguably racist characterization, from an episode of a television show from 9 years ago, at least, is supposed to make me give them a pass on this?

No thanks. That's gross.

I never knew Japanese-Americans found The Office offensive. At least I generally exempt any jokes made about Hungarians (as myself) when it is clearly an overexaggeration. Other than that it's not like a guy who come to a different country will speak the language fluently. Again, most Hungarians living in London has atrocious accents, which is not surprising really. Even I tend to speak Hungrish sometimes.

In my mind the problem is not really about these characters, but when there are absolutely nothing else in terms of representation. And I agree, that is mostly true for Cyberpunk 2077. I don't know how stereotypical Takemura for example as a mainly Japanese corporate guy, who only visited Night City. There was also the Japantown cloth vendor who pretended to be the stereotypical Japanese and if you ask about it she starts to speak with perfect English. But yeah, most NPCs are the generalised immigrants and it's quite sad.

Don't take this as an attack, just general curiosity (and my limited thoughts) as I don't really have a clear idea about how big of a problem this representation is and how it distorts the reality.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

img

I was familiar enough with CD Projekt Red's history to be totally disinterested in this game, and I'm totally unfamiliar with Mike Pondsmith. I'm also not really aware of how involved Pondsmith is. So I don't have any benefit of the doubt to give CD Projekt Red and have to take Mike Pondsmith's good reputation on faith.

But I'm pretty sure I saw Pondsmith being used to quiet concerns about the game, like he was a watchdog that prevented bad things from happening. I'm wondering how this happened in the practical sense; how CD Projekt Red managed produce this when tied to someone who, going by his reputation, wouldn't stand for it.

Like, was Pondsmith kept at arm's length so that he wasn't kept aware and was unable to act on the bigotry that was being included in the game by CD Projekt Red? Was CD Projekt Red aware that they could use his reputation to shield themselves from criticism and tried to use him that way?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK