• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z0mbicide

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What he said. I get that CDPR has a mixed history with transphobia, but some of you just like to gate keep and pull out pitch forks the second anything CDPR gets posted in this forum.

Can we focus on the positive here?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What he said. I get that CDPR has a mixed history with transphobia, but some of you just like to gate keep and pull out pitch forks the second anything CDPR gets posted in this forum.

Can we focus on the positive here?
People are allowed to be skeptical given CDPR's past offenses, specially so when this announcement (?) was made on the twitter page of the QA Lead and nowhere else. You'd expect this kind of commitment to be publicized on CDPR's own twitter account.

Z0mbicide

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
People are allowed to be skeptical given CDPR's past offenses, specially so when this announcement (?) was made on the twitter page of the QA Lead and nowhere else. You'd expect this kind of commitment to be publicized on CDPR's own twitter account.

The skepticism on here is also rooted in uniquely an American perspective on this, and not looking on how this looks in Poland.

Money going to a cause also isn't just "symbolic." People are arbitrarily moving goal posts.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The skepticism on here is also rooted in uniquely an American perspective on this, and not looking on how this looks in Poland.

Money going to a cause also isn't just "symbolic." People are arbitrarily moving goal posts.
Have you considered the possibility that CDPR never even reached the proverbial goal post yet in the first place? This isn't as much of a big gesture as you're making it out to be. They're not donating, they're redirecting proceeds. They're also not committing to properly promote this, it's not on their official twitter, it's on a QA Lead's twitter page, for all of his 3,5k followers (as opposed to CDPR's 772k). Which is certainly odd, given the amount of money going to KPH depends directly on the sales, so if you're not promoting it properly, not a lot of people will be making a purchase.

And it begs the question: why is it not on their official account?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
damn, homophobia defeated thanks cd projekt red

I mean, it might mean nothing to you, but given the ani-LGBT tendencies supported by our government, and the overall toxic situation regarding the topic in Poland, it is pretty big that a big, popular, 100% Polish company openly supports LGBT community. In America (and other westerns countries) corporations supporting LGBT is mostly just going after pink money and it's something natural, what one would expect them to do. Here, it takes some balls to do something like that because the risk is huge (I'm sure there's already a lot of vitrol in Twitter's comments) and benefits are pretty small.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
They are a multinational corporation. This is an advertising campaign for the company, and it's identical to the ones run by other multinationals all the time.

Money going to a cause also isn't just "symbolic."
They aren't cutting checks, they're tweeting links to their store. The money going to this cause isn't even coming from CDPR, it's from the fans who buy the shirts. They're just "graciously" not taking their usual profit from each sale.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
You know this place has a certain...quality to it when you can read the title and your first thought is "I wonder how the forum will turn this into a bad thing".

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Reminds me when the CEO of Blizzard was discussing how they don't want politics in their games while wearing a rainbow blizzard badge. Woke only when it gives them some benifit. Like sweeping their transphobia under the rug.
You can support a case and politcal opinion without actually having to put on your work

I support LGBTQ rights, but I don't necessarily have to put it all over on my work to say I surport it

Z0mbicide

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
User banned (permanent): dismissing concerns around bigotry over multiple posts, account in junior phase
You know this place has a certain...quality to it when you can read the title and your first thought is "I wonder how the forum will turn this into a bad thing".

It hasn't even been a week since the post about hyper-sexualized ads in Cyberpunk. Then people had to be educated on how the dystopian genre works.

People on this forum are just too eager to shit on CDPR at the drop of hat to satisfy their own confirmation bias.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm good. I can fight homophobia without supporting transphobia.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It hasn't even been a week since the post about hyper-sexualized ads in Cyberpunk. Then people had to be educated on how the dystopian genre works.

People on this forum are just too eager to shit on CDPR at the drop of hat to satisfy their own confirmation bias.

I get that people are 100% against the company now. And to that I say "okay whatever". But for this why can't they just say "this is nice but we need more".

People need to stop fighting hatred with vitriol. It's only bad for their own mental health.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
An odd choice. Forgive me for being cynical but this company does not have a good history with this stuff and I doit trust this to be anything other than a ploy of goodwill before the game comes out.

Its still good but yeah, and it's telling that they aren't posting it on their official twitter accounts because they know the kind of gamers they have been courting up until this point

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
They are a multinational corporation. This is an advertising campaign for the company, and it's identical to the ones run by other multinationals all the time.

They aren't cutting checks, they're tweeting links to their store. The money going to this cause isn't even coming from CDPR, it's from the fans who buy the shirts. They're just "graciously" not taking their usual profit from each sale.
Exactly, it's doing the absolute bare minimum. If they were matching the donation total, or making a donation on their own I'd feel a little better about it.

For fucks sake they aren't even promoting this company charity thing on their company social media.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
If that's the case then my sincere apologies for letting it cloud my opinion of them. Glad they are supporting this, and I hope they continue to engage in similar efforts.
It wasn't just the twitter person, there has been other stuff since. Like making transphobic jokes on twitter multiple times, offensive in-game ads that they couldn't defend, a complete lack of trans or non-binary options and their incredibly stupid decision to have pronouns tied to whether you choose a male or female voice, which was again just a way to avoid some of the criticism they were getting.

They do not deserve people trying to handwave their problems away like this

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An odd choice. Forgive me for being cynical but this company does not have a good history with this stuff and I doit trust this to be anything other than a ploy of goodwill before the game comes out.

Its still good but yeah, and it's telling that they aren't posting it on their official twitter accounts because they know the kind of gamers they have been courting up until this point

Pretty much where I stand. And people are in this thread acting like they're absolved lol. They're still transphobic, they still show their ass after each shitty "apology".

People just WANT to forgive them so they can play their video game guilt free 🙄

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
good on them for stepping out publicly and doing this

what the people here taking shots at them here may not realise is there is awful lot of homophobia in the public sphere in poland - to the point i think it may be the most homophobic country in europe

so for its crown jewel tech and gaming company to step out is a good thing - yes we can argue they could do more, yes they should be against transphobia too

but this is also a good thing
I think EU statistics shows that homophobia is the worst in Rumania but Poland is probably not far behind.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Ugh, men make it so hard to have these discussions with this condescending BS.

"Hey women, look at this dystopia where unchecked capitalism exploits women's bodies. Isn't that new and crazy? DYSTOPIA!" Wow, such insight. It's the equivalent of every "serious, realistic, gritty" game having a strip club in the 00's.

Just because men made it a staple of a genre doesn't mean you have to use it. What a concept.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017

What a shit take. I think you'll find that most of that thread was saying how that was wrong, nobody got fucking "educated" about how your sexist views are justified in game because it isn't justified.

And please, "educate" me on how CDPR has absolutely been in the right about all its mistakes regarding transgender people? I'll wait.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Transphobic trolling, prior severe ban for mocking allegations of sexual harassment, long history of trolling
Would you guys be OK with J. K. Rowling writing a quest for Cyberpunk?

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
It wasn't just the twitter person, there has been other stuff since. Like making transphobic jokes on twitter multiple times, offensive in-game ads that they couldn't defend, a complete lack of trans or non-binary options and their incredibly stupid decision to have pronouns tied to whether you choose a male or female voice, which was again just a way to avoid some of the criticism they were getting.

They do not deserve people trying to handwave their problems away like this
Yeesh. That sucks to hear it has been persistent.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility; Prior Ban for Hostility
Pretty much where I stand. And people are in this thread acting like they're absolved lol. They're still transphobic, they still show their ass after each shitty "apology".

Fuck. Off. When you know LGBT people in Poland right now who are basically living in a nightmare scenario, this gesture by CDPR speaks way more volumes given how valuable they are as a Polish company. You don't have to fully absolve their past actions to give some appreciation where it's due here.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
You can be critical of their past behaviour without trying to turn this into a bad thing, you know? They are Poland's most valuable company and considering the LGBT situation in the country it's a pretty nice gesture.

Doesn't excuse anything they've done before but this is a good thing.

Exactly.
This is a good thing but some people are just never happy.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. Off. When you know LGBT people in Poland right now who are basically living in a nightmare scenario, this gesture by CDPR speaks way more volumes given how valuable they are as a Polish company. You don't have to fully absolve their past actions to give some appreciation where it's due here.
Maybe if they posted it on their actual official social media accounts it would have more of an actual impact and meaning

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

Who in this thread is acting like their absolved?

Someone needs to get the straw men in this thread a mouse and keyboard so we can hear from them.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

When they take a stance on the official game twitter account, maybe that'll mean something.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing says wholehearted support for a contentious issue like forgoing a portion of profit on a singular item of apparel then sharing said act of altruism on your QA leads twitter account.

It almost brings a tear to my eye.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Its a nice gesture but, as others have mentioned, it does seem more perfomative than sincere.

Post it (PUBLICLY) to the company twitter and make a donation along with doing the shirts, then we'll talk.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
damn, poland is more fucked up than i thought.
Yup and it's really just cause of eastern Poland being backassward.
Not you saying this gesture speaks volumes(positively) to Trans people.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the gesture and that its going for a good cause. I hope they do more of this in the future.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They deserve some kudos for maintaining this stance considering the context of where Poland is at, but yeah y'know, support the T as well please thanks?

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see them supporting the LGB part of the community in some fashion. Now do the T, please.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory whataboutism
I get that people are 100% against the company now. And to that I say "okay whatever". But for this why can't they just say "this is nice but we need more".

People need to stop fighting hatred with vitriol. It's only bad for their own mental health.
I feel the same way.

It's annoying that so many are dogpiling on CDPR and THQ Nordic for some douchey actions but aren't putting in the same amount of effort of taking down, say, Activision. They're responsible for, idk, adding QAnon-level propaganda to Black Ops: Cold War, which gets praised by facists like Sargon.

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it might mean nothing to you, but given the ani-LGBT tendencies supported by our government, and the overall toxic situation regarding the topic in Poland, it is pretty big that a big, popular, 100% Polish company openly supports LGBT community. In America (and other westerns countries) corporations supporting LGBT is mostly just going after pink money and it's something natural, what one would expect them to do. Here, it takes some balls to do something like that because the risk is huge (I'm sure there's already a lot of vitrol in Twitter's comments) and benefits are pretty small.
I agree. Also, given how big of a thing CDPR is in Poland this will be reported in the media beyond gaming websites therefore it will reach the homophobic majority in Poland. I'm not saying they're saints but in a country where the LGBT community is being actively dehumanised any kind of support is a good thing in my book.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Considering the situation in Poland right now this seems like a big step. But much more needs to be done considering this company's past with transphobia.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
That's neat since it seems from other posts that Poland is in need of this kind of thing, but the main CDPR account seems to not be promoting this and that would help its visibility and effectiveness. They'd also do well to do some trans rights stuff to go all the way considering gamedev twitter was sharing messages of "Trans Rights is Human Rights" all day yesterday.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With how fucked up the lgbt rights are now in Poland, this is an imense step by cdred.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal