• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't CD Projekt Red, or a clandestine associate of theirs, have been the buyers?

Not sure how much the ransom was. This could also ensure that they don't pay the ransom and see it also sold off to a private bidder.
Lets not try to think up thick conspiracy webs around CDPR and this hack

The damage has been done, so soon CDPR, like other companies that have fallen victim to these attacks, will see their information posted online in big data dumps up for grabs, and potentially selling personal employee information to whoever wants it.

You don't think they were incentivized—at least somewhat—by the CDPR backlash? I can absolutely see a scenario where the hackers thought of themselves as vigilantes/anti-heroes, and could rally public support simply based on the bad taste CDPR left in people's mouths during the latter part of 2020.
I highly doubt personal motives are what drives these hacks. Its usually companies that are in the public eye so they can do as much damage as possible in order to get as much money as possible. This isnt some robin hood scheme, this is a highly criminal act with data up for grabs of 1100 employees/freelancers and other companies that have worked with CRPR

Last edited:

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
Lets not try to think up thick conspiracy webs around CDPR and this hack

The damage has been done, so soon CDPR, like other companies that have fallen victim to these attacks, will see their information posted online in big data dumps up for grabs, and potentially selling personal employee information to whoever wants it.
Odd retort, but I understand your sentiment. Though that wasn't the intention of my post, nor was I disparaging the company or calling this situation a 'conspiracy' (?).

They're obviously the victims of electronic terrorism here. Hopefully no personal details were lifted.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Odd retort, but I understand your sentiment. Though that wasn't the intention of my post, nor was I disparaging the company or calling this situation a 'conspiracy' (?).

They're obviously the victims of electronic terrorism here. Hopefully no personal details were lifted.
probably partly because I edited my initial message since I noticed I misread your post hahaha, my bad!

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad thing imo, I always thought once a product is released, its source code should be made open source a few years later once the product isn't selling as much, mostly so people could learn from it (that's how I learned web development when I was 10 years old actually) rather than just copy-pasting the game with need graphic in hope to sell it.

I don't think it's a big loss for CDPR, it would be different if they were leaked R&D projects not released yet with years of research in hope to sell a new tech or product.

Na this is bad. I'm a dev and I'd hate for years of my work to just to be freely copied. I provide open source to help others occasionally but I want control over that. If the developers want to give the source code, that's fine. Being forced into it sucks.

You're probably right in that this won't affect CDPR too much, but that's assuming there's nothing particularly revolutionary in their code. For all I know though, they may have found a better solution for a development/technical issue that could harm them if it gets out (especially since it's particularly hard to get a patent on software solutions).

Last edited:

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Na this is bad. I'm a dev and I'd hate for years of my work to just to be freely copied. I provide open source to help others occasionally but I want control over that. If the developers want to give the source code, that's fine. Being forced into it sucks.

Yeah you're absolutely right, as Kotze282 said, it's interesting when you're curious about this kind of thing and want to learn, in a way, from professionals and their way of doing. My comment was mostly in a way that in the grand scheme of things, it's not that bad, but you're right, having their years of work leaked like this isn't pleasing at all, I release the code of my projects, but it was on my own will, I would have been pissed off to be forced to.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Not a bad thing imo, I always thought once a product is released, its source code should be made open source a few years later once the product isn't selling as much, mostly so people could learn from it (that's how I learned web development when I was 10 years old actually) rather than just copy-pasting the game with need graphic in hope to sell it.

I don't think it's a big loss for CDPR, it would be different if they were leaked R&D projects not released yet with years of research in hope to sell a new tech or product.

That is wholly up to the owners of the code to decide what is open or not. This is a massive loss of IP. It is a big deal.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a terrible take and inspecting web source code is in no way the same thing because anything meant to be secure on a website is kept on the server which can't be openly inspected

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
This is a terrible take and inspecting web source code is in no way the same thing because anything meant to be secure on a website is kept on the server which can't be openly inspected

I mean, nowadays, you wouldn't be able to inspect the web code from a React app for example to learn from it, the same way you couldn't do it for PHP years ago. But, thanks to source code from projects being release to the public, I could learn a lot from them, and so did a lot of beginners.

So again, sure the context is totally different, but look at the recent leak from Nintendo and all the good things that happened. That's not to say it's a good thing, never will and I won't defend the hacker, nor praise them, but I still think it's not that bad and I don't think it will harm CDPR (could be wrong ofc and will gladly admit it if so).

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
They probably leaked Gwent first to see if it would make them change their mind about paying the ransom because let's be honest, no one cares for Gwent as much as the other stuff. 😂

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
They probably leaked Gwent first to see if it would make them change their mind about paying the ransom because let's be honest, no one cares for Gwent as much as the other stuff. 😂
Thing is gwent is an online game, leaking that will effect profits far more then just witcher 3 because it's a constant source of revenue.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hopefully the personal data of employees is not leaked out because that would be even more terrible. Say what you want about CDPR, but this is not the way to get back at them. It hurts the devs more than the leads.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Genuine question: what do people actually gain by leaking stolen source code? What exactly are these guys hoping to achieve?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Genuine question: what do people actually gain by leaking stolen source code? What exactly are these guys hoping to achieve?

I guess clout is part of it and by releasing GWENT's source they also provided receipts about having goods. Then when they put auction up for REDEngine, TW3, TW3RTX and CP77 source codes there most likely was a lot more interest as hackers had proven they can deliver what they promised.

Oct 26, 2017
Money. They leaked Gwent to show they have the goods, and to then auction off the stolen private data of employees and business partners as well as the other source code.
People have a right to be mad at CDPR, but cheering on criminals that profit off identity theft, extortion and ultimately endangerment of people is just absolute trash tier behaviour.

Mar 23, 2018
Wouldn't the public having source be good for preservation?

When I said "I just don't understand what good this would do anyone" I meant I don't know why someone would spend $1 million+, because how are they supposed to use this to make their money back? Source code being public (not by means of stealing) is definitely great for modding and preservation.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not Cyberpunk 3077 by random Chinese Game Developer that strangely looks identical to Cyberpunk 2077

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
In before some country making mmorg's looking even more similar to Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk than we already got.

Last edited:

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
How easy is it to identify if source code was used based on binaries? AFAIK unless there's some special behavior in the code that's unlikely to arise through independent development, there's no reliable and consistent way to do so. If whoever bought it also doesn't have a leak of their own source code they'd probably be safe. Though I'm only talking about small pieces of code like shaders or something. If they wholescale steal the engine that's another story.

Last edited:

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that personal data is safe but the reality is the personal Data is worth more than even the source code. People are going to have their lives completely fucked with for years due to this.

I had my Information compromised in the Data Breach in 2015 or so at the office of personnel management for the US Government. Still having to fight random bullshit as far as identity theft.

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
Anyone asking what hackers would do with these, there's simple answer they will use it for there benefit. Let it be, Chinese mmo style open world game or russian driving game. You do not want your decades of hard work stolen. It's not that hard to understand.

And how the hell people supporting cyber terrorism? CDPR is transphobic. Attack on them was cyber terrorism. Two wrongs doesn't make anything right. It DOESN'T SOLVE any problem.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Given the reports of their development management, imagine untangling that hill of spaghetti code.

Sep 7, 2018
Man, this shit is crazy. I know people were upset about the launch of Cyberpunk, but going this far. This hacker is selfish and crazy.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Without assets, models and animations you do very little with just the source code. Still, It's super private data since it's your "know how".

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think any company could rationally agree to pay a ransom in a situation like this. No matter how terrible it is to have source code leaked, unfortunately there's no guarantee that the extortionists wouldn't take the ransom and still release the source code anyway. Clearly the thieves are not upstanding, honorable people.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Given the reports of their development management, imagine untangling that hill of spaghetti code.

I took a brief look at Gwent code, it's really clean and high quality code. May be a different story with other games.

Without assets, models and animations you do very little with just the source code. Still, It's super private data since it's your "know how".

It can contain assets, like the leaked Gwent does.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
I hope the human beings who sold them for money realize how their great luck in acquiring the sources to be sold isn't a chance everyone gets. I hope they redistribute the money from an overworking corporation to those that need it, like Robin Hood would. Flowers can grow from even the murkiest bogs.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I took a brief look at Gwent code, it's really clean and high quality code. May be a different story with other games.

It can contain assets, like the leaked Gwent does.
Glad to hear, now my curiosity's piqued, such as how the networking's handled.

Wait, the leak bundles up the code with the assets?