• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I think about MLK Jr.'s Letter From a Birmingham Jail a lot these days, when calls for civility and unity are used to suppress demands for justice (emphasis mine):

Something that people who consider themselves allies need to internalize is that valuing civility over justice is antithetical to actually achieving justice, because it is the devotion to civility at the cost of uncivil activism that impedes justice from being done. That the crypto was given chance after chance after chance because they were "civil" to staff while those who tried to warn about this and expressed their displeasure at being ignored in an uncivil way were quickly and more harshly punished proves the point. The staff have egg on their face from repeatedly deferring to a crypto because of their devotion to civility instead of justice. That merits deep reflection.

This reminds me of the actions of the certain police officers over the summer.

Dear god i fucking hate white people

Last edited:

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck your edit and fuck you too. Stop equating the deaths of and brutality against Black people to your internet drama. If you want to defend a minority group, you can do it without marginalizing our struggle. I hope mods undo your edit and ban you.

Edit: It's a fuckin Christmas miracle.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

It's astounding that that post didn't even get a warning. I keep hoping some mod will show up and make some kind of statement. The changed the initial ban that started this mess, but nothing is being said to the community it seems. I really don't want to see this place splinter and lose more members from this community, but I understand why so many might not feel safe or wanted here with posters like that.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think about MLK Jr.'s Letter From a Birmingham Jail a lot these days, when calls for civility and unity are used to suppress demands for justice (emphasis mine):

Something that people who consider themselves allies need to internalize is that valuing civility over justice is antithetical to actually achieving justice, because it is the devotion to civility at the cost of uncivil activism that impedes justice from being done. That the crypto was given chance after chance after chance because they were "civil" to staff while those who tried to warn about this and expressed their displeasure at being ignored in an uncivil way were quickly and more harshly punished proves the point. The staff have egg on their face from repeatedly deferring to a crypto because of their devotion to civility instead of justice. That merits deep reflection.
Yeah, no. The black community on era doesn't appreciate you all co opting our struggle all damn day to throw a tantrum over fucking forum drama. A moderator banning you from a fucking video game forum is not even on the same planet as black pain.

I saw the nigga in here comparing the mods to police officers smacking protesters around too. Pound sand.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think some people understand how disrespectful and hurtful it is to see Black death and brutalisation co-opted for grievances against internet forum staff. Please don't make light of our death and trauma. You can get whatever points you need to make across without doing that. I've seen many Black members express discomfort and anger over such comparisons.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
That post was seriously engaging to see in the midst of the trans community all in there saying how frustrating this all is. That's essentially what happened in the night city threads. The trans community being called out as "bullies" and being big meanies to little Black Chamber.
Every post of his got progressively worse. To the point that it felt like he was pushing to see how much he could get away with. If I read it correctly, I think he said he was planning on leaving in a post.

I wanted to bring it up to the mods, but I feel like that will bring unwanted attention.

I think now might be the best time to take sometime off.

Oct 26, 2017

MLK, huh? You really went with that comparison?

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't think some people understand how disrespectful and hurtful it is to see Black death and brutalisation co-opted for grievances against internet forum staff. Please don't make light of our death and trauma. You can get whatever points you need to make across without doing that. I've seen many Black members express discomfort and anger over such comparisons.

There's no reason to invoke another's pain - especially those in another universe to the comparison being made - to further a point about moderator action.

This thread is focused around a shitheap of a company and the way they've put the trans community down. Be cool if we could return to that instead of sending out buck shots of frustration that are inaccurate and causing harm.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's no reason to invoke another's pain - especially those in another universe to the comparison being made - to further a point about moderator action.

This thread is focused around a shitheap of a company and the way they've put the trans community down. Be cool if we could return to that instead of sending out buck shots of frustration that are inaccurate and causing harm.
Thank you. ❤

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. Using 'No justice, No peace' to mock an admin because it was his previous tag wasn't cool either. Our suffering isn't something for some people to use as a gotcha or whatever. It's insulting and trivializing.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017

Yeah, nobody saying something not wrong and people can't be upset

But trying to compare an internet situation to us literally being killed is just completely out of line, its gotta be reeled in.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
I thought the point at hand was the transphobia thats apparent in Cyberpunk 2077.

Not co opt our Black pain over moderating on this thread.

Do Black people a favor and keep our names out your mouth.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is like the third time i've noticed people in this thread bringing up black plight or using racist dogwhistles itt

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just here because I don't wanna be left out the collective flaming over the MLK post.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
Wow, that mlk post was something else. Keep my peoples name out your mouth. Black people have suffered enough due to police brutality.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
This thread is on the verge of getting massively derailed by one hateful jackass(with a total of 7 posts) trying to sow division. :/

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Is nothing more than what should be obvious. It's nonsensical and shameful when we have Black trans people on this forum. I can get the desire to have a haven for trans frustration but that doesn't come at the expense of the most vulnerable and victimised members of our community; what they have gone through, what they continue to go through. Both inside and out of it. That the former remains true is an unequivocal stain on the LGBTQ+ community.

Black Trans Lives Matter.

Take care of yourself Mist ❤️

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is on the verge of getting massively derailed by one hateful jackass(with a total of 7 posts) trying to sow division. :/
To be fair, there was another comparing this to police brutality who edited their post and got banned. Idiots.

Don't co-opt others' struggles. I think we can hopefully move on with that and have people not repeat the same drastic mistakes.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017

idk who this is but they aren't with "us", be it TransEra or anyone still here posting in good faith. Black users have every right to be infuriated by messages like this. Where do all these users come from with no post count either saying inflammatory shit like this or poking and prodding at the idea of torching the forum down, it's beyond me. I hope people are savvy enough to check post histories and see this shit for what it is.

Edit: Also, I'm tired and I may not have the vocabulary to say this elegantly or succinctly, but the last time TransEra had issues, this same exact kind of thing happened, with people making thin blue line jokes about staff, posting that punisher image, etc. It isn't as outright insulting as the MLK quoting but it's doing the same basic thing, making a false equivalency to systematic racism / something that is life and death for a lot of people. There is no reasonable way to compare that to internet antics, regardless of how hurt or tired transpeople on this forum feel. It isn't clever, it's just insulting and, least importantly, it is a discredit to everyone who actually cares to see things change here.

Last edited:

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017

ea82885484f49f92ac6dbf8a8ea439d0dc26e488.gifv

This forum, bruh.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Frankly that poster should have been slapped down by the rest of the thread at the time. Instead they were ignored because they were a random with 7 posts to their name showing up and saying something completely off the wall that nobody cared to acknowledge.

That was obviously the wrong call, though.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what trans era was suggesting to mods in the discord that the mods were ignoring/dismissing. Was it just an open preliminary conversation or were concrete suggestions put forward and the mods just didn't want to do them?

May 26, 2018
Frankly that poster should have been slapped down by the rest of the thread at the time. Instead they were ignored because they were a random with 7 posts to their name showing up and saying something completely off the wall that nobody cared to acknowledge.

That was obviously the wrong call, though.

Honestly I wasn't even sure how to engage with it. It was so weird, as a response to what I'd said, that I actually had no answer.

And now that I'm seeing all the black folk coming in here and tearing that guy a new hole, I'm kinda wondering if it wouldn't've been my place to speak for them.

In hindsight I think it may've been okay to report it, though.

This is why my stance is to never call myself an ally. To me it implies that the learning is done and I have the power/right to define myself as such, two things that will never be true.

RNK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
I'm fully aware this post will most likely end up in me being banned, which I think is a real shame, and a real part of the problem that exists in this forum. Still, I think it's important it's said, and the chips will fall where they will. I hope it'll at least be read before it's summarily dismissed, if nothing else.

I'd like to start by saying that I am a straight white man, and that I 100 percent accept and appreciate everybody's right to live life as they see fit. Yes, both those things can be true. As long as they are not harming me or people I care about, I fully support people's journey to whatever makes them happy. I believe in inclusivity and that we should all be able to live together peacefully. I also believe in open dialog and that people's opinions matter, even when I don't share them. It's what our country was founded on, and I believe it's the only way forward towards co-existence with those we might not agree with. If ever there was a time people needed to come together, with our country so divided, it's now.

With that said, from what i've seen, the trans community on THIS forum hasn't shown they believe the same thing. There is no open dialog. The minute somebody comes along that might have their own thoughts or opinions, they are instantly stifled because they don't identify as trans. Because they are not trans, they get no say, no opinion, no voice. I have literally seen countless times someone say "You're not trans, so you don't get to feel any way about this. Because you haven't been through what I've been through, you have no voice." All this when just attempting to discuss a goddamned video game. Imagine if all life functioned that way. Imagine if you weren't entitled to your voice or beliefs because you hadn't lived the life of the person you're trying to have open discourse with. That's not how life works, and it shouldn't be how life works. There will always be people in the world you don't agree with. There are evil people out there with evil thoughts who do evil things. Nothing can change that. You just have to keep on living your lives and try to focus on the ones that aren't that. It seems, though, that instead of embracing differences, you'd rather shun everyone else. Almost like a reverse prejudice against me because I am straight. I would never tell you that you couldn't have an opinion or belief because you may not be straight as well. Bringing this up though, around here that gets you called a victim.

When CyberPunk came out, this place literally went to shit. People weren't allowed to be excited for a game they'd likely waited years to play. People weren't allowed to say anything positive about the game because doing so somehow alienated the trans community. As if someone's enjoy of something affects you in any way. Even if the developers were transphobic, it doesn't mean everyone that plays the game is. There are a lot of things I can't stand out there, but I can't stop others from enjoying them. The ultimate hypocrisy was when the people here leading the charge the hardest, specifically kyuuji, started playing and enjoying the game that so many other people were banned from even discussing. Why was that? Because they weren't trans, they don't get an opinion. I mean what kind of bullshit is that? How is that any way to run a community?

I guess my whole point in this is to say that if the trans community as a whole want the respect they demand and I believe are entitled to, perhaps it's time to stop attacking everyone else who doesn't identify with them. Perhaps instead of pushing away other thoughts and beliefs, maybe it's time to open up paths to conversation, and from that conversation you can then decide if that is someone worth your time or not. Stifling every single person who might have their own thoughts is NOT the answer though. That's just not how the real world works. The world isn't going to treat you with kid gloves. Mods, I'm talking to you now. You're doing a disservice to these people, catering to their every whim. The world is tough, even for us straight white men. If I were raised by parents who never prepared me for the hardships life can throw at you, who knows where I would be.

My hope moving forward is that maybe this place could actually become inclusive, and if you come across someone with differing opinions, USE that as an opportunity to edjucate, as oppose to alienate. You're not going to connect with everyone though, and banning them before even trying is not the way to go.

I suppose that's all. This was kind of all over the place but was just what was on my mind as I was typing. I hope this sticks with at least some of you.

Ps, not every person who voted for Trump is a Nazi, and not every person who voted for Trump is Transphobic. What kind of logic is that anyway?

May 26, 2018
With that said, from what i've seen, the trans community on THIS forum hasn't shown they believe the same thing. There is no open dialog. The minute somebody comes along that might have their own thoughts or opinions, they are instantly stifled because they don't identify as trans. Because they are not trans, they get no say, no opinion, no voice. I have literally seen countless times someone say "You're not trans, so you don't get to feel any way about this. Because you haven't been through what I've been through, you have no voice."

As a straight white dude myself, can I just say this is categorically not true?

I've been engaging for a while and no one trans has "treated me like shit," because I haven't treated them like shit. Or at least I try not to.

We are all human beings. We want friends. We want to be treated well. We can get along. I'm sorry you can't see that in this matter, and I hope one day you do because there are a lot of really good people out there.

Last edited:

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I'm fully aware this post will most likely end up in me being banned, which I think is a real shame, and a real part of the problem that exists in this forum. Still, I think it's important it's said, and the chips will fall where they will. I hope it'll at least be read before it's summarily dismissed, if nothing else.

I'd like to start by saying that I am a straight white man, and that I 100 percent accept and appreciate everybody's right to live life as they see fit. Yes, both those things can be true. As long as they are not harming me or people I care about, I fully support people's journey to whatever makes them happy. I believe in inclusivity and that we should all be able to live together peacefully. I also believe in open dialog and that people's opinions matter, even when I don't share them. It's what our country was founded on, and I believe it's the only way forward towards co-existence with those we might not agree with. If ever there was a time people needed to come together, with our country so divided, it's now.

With that said, from what i've seen, the trans community on THIS forum hasn't shown they believe the same thing. There is no open dialog. The minute somebody comes along that might have their own thoughts or opinions, they are instantly stifled because they don't identify as trans. Because they are not trans, they get no say, no opinion, no voice. I have literally seen countless times someone say "You're not trans, so you don't get to feel any way about this. Because you haven't been through what I've been through, you have no voice." All this when just attempting to discuss a goddamned video game. Imagine if all life functioned that way. Imagine if you weren't entitled to your voice or beliefs because you hadn't lived the life of the person you're trying to have open discourse with. That's not how life works, and it shouldn't be how life works. There will always be people in the world you don't agree with. There are evil people out there with evil thoughts who do evil things. Nothing can change that. You just have to keep on living your lives and try to focus on the ones that aren't that. It seems, though, that instead of embracing differences, you'd rather shun everyone else. Almost like a reverse prejudice against me because I am straight. I would never tell you that you couldn't have an opinion or belief because you may not be straight as well. Bringing this up though, around here that gets you called a victim.

When CyberPunk came out, this place literally went to shit. People weren't allowed to be excited for a game they'd likely waited years to play. People weren't allowed to say anything positive about the game because doing so somehow alienated the trans community. As if someone's enjoy of something affects you in any way. Even if the developers were transphobic, it doesn't mean everyone that plays the game is. There are a lot of things I can't stand out there, but I can't stop others from enjoying them. The ultimate hypocrisy was when the people here leading the charge the hardest, specifically kyuuji, started playing and enjoying the game that so many other people were banned from even discussing. Why was that? Because they weren't trans, they don't get an opinion. I mean what kind of bullshit is that? How is that any way to run a community?

I guess my whole point in this is to say that if the trans community as a whole want the respect they demand and I believe are entitled to, perhaps it's time to stop attacking everyone else who doesn't identify with them. Perhaps instead of pushing away other thoughts and beliefs, maybe it's time to open up paths to conversation, and from that conversation you can then decide if that is someone worth your time or not. Stifling every single person who might have their own thoughts is NOT the answer though. That's just not how the real world works. The world isn't going to treat you with kid gloves. Mods, I'm talking to you now. You're doing a disservice to these people, catering to their every whim. The world is tough, even for us straight white men. If I were raised by parents who never prepared me for the hardships life can throw at you, who knows where I would be.

My hope moving forward is that maybe this place could actually become inclusive, and if you come across someone with differing opinions, USE that as an opportunity to edjucate, as oppose to alienate. You're not going to connect with everyone though, and banning them before even trying is not the way to go.

I suppose that's all. This was kind of all over the place but was just what was on my mind as I was typing. I hope this sticks with at least some of you.

Ps, not every person who voted for Trump is a Nazi, and not every person who voted for Trump is Transphobic. What kind of logic is that anyway?
Low effort, troll account, try harder next time on your main account

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Mods, I'm talking to you now. You're doing a disservice to these people, catering to their every whim. The world is tough, even for us straight white men. If I were raised by parents who never prepared me for the hardships life can throw at you, who knows where I would be.

Lol..just lol.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I'm visualizing a cowboy taking his hat off, spitting once in the dirt. "Well, I reckon ya'll know by now, I'm a cis white man. Straight too. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Ain't nothing wrong with voting Trump neither. Now I hope you'll let me speak a while and say my piece."

As a straight white dude myself, can I just say this is categorically not true?

I've been engaging for a while and no one trans has "treated me like shit," because I haven't treated them like shit.

We are all human beings. We want friends. We want to be treated well. We can get along. I'm sorry you can't see that in this matter, and I hope one day you do because there are a lot of really good people out there.

I'm a cis white lesbian and I try to stay in my lane. Sometimes I absolutely fuck up. I've never felt like that means I'm not allowed to have a voice, just that I should use it to discuss things I actually know about.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia

As a straight is a strong word white man: lol what.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Someone comes into this thread to act like there isn't an OT where people are free to talk about the game however they want because they know if they said the same whiny complaint in the OT people would understandably ask what the hell they're even talking about.