• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Praising megacorps for making money always seemed like gross behavior. It might make sense for some games that took big big gambles in game design you like and want to see replicated elsewhere, like happened with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but what reason is there to do it with Cyberpunk 2077 that isn't either sad or offensive?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
what reason is there to do it with Cyberpunk 2077 that isn't either sad or offensive?
They get to dodge moderation by not posting in the OT. It's why all these threads pop up.

Don't have to acknowledge any Staff Posts, because there aren't any in a new thread.

They can drop a "Sweet game!" or a "Well deserved, good job CDPR!" and bounce without fear of repercussions because the rules in the OT apply to the OT, and the worst that happens is the thread gets locked until the next new thread.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why the fuck sales threads are even important here. Cool, legit one of the most hyped games is selling well despite the transphobia? Well no shit, anyone who's been in the gaming community for longer than 20 minutes could have predicted that, doesn't mean suddenly transphobia is okay nor does it mean all bets are off on Cyberpunk threads.

Just cause the game is popular doesn't mean it's hurting trans people less, and the game being limited to a small number of threads and rather positioned in a critical light here is absolutely justified given the problematic content of the game. Trans people matter more than some video game, if you think otherwise you're more than free to leave.
I bet if this was a smaller game or an indie, it would be a different story.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Ignoring Thread Reply Banner; Thread-banned for a day.
Lol at people saying 2080s running 80-90fps. Full of shit.

Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean?

A game that doesn't seem to have the guts to bring things to its logical conclusion even if it frustrates the player. Drakengard has a whole host of god awful taboo topics but it mostly gets away with it because it plays it straight and never attempts to coddle the player.

Things like stripping any major consequences out of augmentation is a good example because one of the fundamental pillars of post-nation, corporate rule near future sci-fi is the idea of corporations colonising individuals and their bodily functions through cybernetics and information overload.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consequence to augmentations in Cyberpunk 2077, since it seems they scrapped the humanity system from the RPG it's based off, so the main consequence seems to be financial. A video game would be perfect to exploit such mechanics but it just ends up being window dressing and RPG upgrade tree fodder.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A game that doesn't seem to have the guts to bring things to its logical conclusion even if it frustrates the player. Drakengard has a whole host of god awful taboo topics but it mostly gets away with it because it plays it straight and never attempts to coddle the player.

Things like stripping any major consequences out of augmentation is a good example because one of the fundamental pillars of post-nation, corporate rule near future sci-fi is the idea of corporations colonising individuals and their bodily functions through cybernetics and information overload.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of consequence to augmentations in Cyberpunk 2077, since it seems they scrapped the humanity system from the RPG it's based off, so the main consequence seems to be financial. A video game would be perfect to exploit such mechanics but it just ends up being window dressing and RPG upgrade tree fodder.
It kind of just completely ignores the genre it's basing it off of.

The great thing about the genre as a whole has always been it takes things to extremes but constantly shows you the negatives of it. It's not supposed to be a fun cool bad ass world. It's supposed to almost feel run down (punk) and you are constantly aware of how awful all these things are that are happening.

Instead you have a game glorifying it

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine how much of a shit fest this board would be had Black Chamber not been banned at the last minute. It would be like the subreddit which is almost at civil war between the CDPR hype mongers and those who actually give a shit about the quality of the game.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
The more I read about the game – especially in this thread – , the more I am glad I am skipping it.
2077 is supposed to be the future and yet it seems that it feels more restrictive than some places in the world RIGHT NOW.
It is so backwards really.

Thanks for this thread. A real eye-opener in sooooo many ways!

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment (and at the risk of appearing to defend their creative choices... even though I'm not), there was no way in hell that a game with this kind of money behind it would ever risk using mechanics that intentionally 'frustrate' players, even for thematic reasons.

More often than not, the more money involved, the more risk averse the final product will be. That's simply the economics of the entertainment industry. The only consistent exception to that is Kojima, I guess? That guy doesn't seem to give a fuck about money. Of course, it doesn't always - excuse the pun - pay off for him, but still.

It is a shame they didn't go all in, but it can't be unexpected.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment (and at the risk of appearing to defend their creative choices... even though I'm not), there was no way in hell that a game with this kind of money behind it would ever risk using mechanics that intentionally 'frustrate' players, even for thematic reasons.
Hate to break it to ya pal : P

But seriously, most Triple-A games take calculated risks, only doing things that have traditionally paid off for others, and gotten just close enough to sensible to placate progressive folk while not being too progressive to alienate assholes.

It's a song and dance as old as time, and it was bound to come out in full force with Cyberpunk 2077, but assumptions from their previous work threw people for a loop, and nobody expected it to get THIS bad and THIS edgy.

But it did. It, in fact, took risks to alienate it's audiences, wether or not it was intentional, and the crappy development cycle lead to tons of blindspots and terrible decisions.

It just goes to show, I guess, that it takes a lot of things to make a good videogame, at all levels, and the way Cyberpunk was made certainly lacked enough to create a huge mess.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like some of the people who have wanted more Cyberpunk threads for stuff like PC settings, sales and such are getting silly in regards to threads highlightning issues with the game. Some seem to have the mentality of "if I can't have my positive threads you shouldn't get your negative threads". It's a bit disheartening to have to point out the difference between the two.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

But seriously, most Triple-A games take calculated risks, only doing things that have traditionally paid off for others, and gotten just close enough to sensible to placate progressive folk while not being too progressive to alienate assholes.

It's a song and dance as old as time, and it was bound to come out in full force with Cyberpunk 2077, but assumptions from their previous work threw people for a loop, and nobody expected it to get THIS bad and THIS edgy.

But it did. It, in fact, took risks to alienate it's audiences, wether or not it was intentional, and the crappy development cycle lead to tons of blindspots and terrible decisions.

It just goes to show, I guess, that it takes a lot of things to make a good videogame, at all levels, and the way Cyberpunk was made certainly lacked enough to create a huge mess.

😄

I can't think of many AAA titles that took genuine risks, either thematically or mechanically.

Death Stranding, for sure, but what else...? Maybe TLOU2?

noeybys

Aug 8, 2020

Skippy is actually a reference to a character from a science fiction book series called Expeditionary Forces.

This is actually a nice Cameo for a fan of the book series like me!

Anyways, Era is doing a fantastic job raising awareness. Sure raised mine!

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Italian IGN review gave the game 9.3 never mentioning transphobia, racism or problematic content. In fact it is a long, long circlejerk on the game. "Detailed urban simulation" my ass, by the way.

Oct 27, 2017
Once you start seeing suggestions posted that the only way to make this apology right is to make all future cp2077 content free, it's really time to fold the discussion back into the OT.

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone got that "I can excuse transphobia, crunch, etc but no bugs" Community meme image? It's needed.
EpC7o05XEAAzgqJ

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
User Thread Banned: Ignoring thread discussion guidelines
I don't want to derail this thread, but I can't post in the community feedback thread, since I got threadbanned a few months back for refusing to allow the staff to sidestep what they had done to Asian Era. So I just wanted to say it is an EXTREMELY horrific look to ban a trans member for expressing their disappointment with staff and the way the site has been treating minority members in the one thread where it is like the MOST on topic to do so?? And to make matters worse, it was a ban made a week after the fact (and once the conversation had moved to a new page) and is literally the only interaction staff has had with that thread recently.

Just proving once again that the only thing the Era staff will ever actually take a stand on is any criticism of their modding practices. Not even trying to hide this ban behind a shitty "hostility :(" ban either. Just going mask off against trans users.

Edit: I just didn't think it's cool for a ban like that against a trans member to be (relatively) hidden from the community

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
I don't want to derail this thread, but I can't post in the community feedback thread, since I got threadbanned a few months back for refusing to allow the staff to sidestep what they had done to Asian Era. So I just wanted to say it is an EXTREMELY horrific look to ban a trans member for expressing their disappointment with staff and the way the site has been treating minority members in the one thread where it is like the MOST on topic to do so?? And to make matters worse, it was a ban made a week after the fact (and once the conversation had moved to a new page) and is literally the only interaction staff has had with that thread recently.

Just proving once again that the only thing the Era staff will ever actually take a stand on is any criticism of their modding practices. Not even trying to hide this ban behind a shitty "hostility :(" ban either. Just going mask off against trans users.

Edit: I just didn't think it's cool for a ban like that against a trans member to be (relatively) hidden from the community
yeah it's really gross, a week later, with that ban message? like really? no consideration for what had just happened when it was posted? really still going down that line of civility above all else, even if it led staff to trust a maga chud over a bunch of people going "wtf is this shit, are you all seeing this obvious dog whistle?"

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I must admit even with my abysmally low expectations, I expected more than a week without any incidents regarding the trans community. That ban is complete bullshit.

How can they be this bad at it?

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it's really gross, a week later, with that ban message? like really? no consideration for what had just happened when it was posted? really still going down that line of civility above all else, even if it led staff to trust a maga chud over a bunch of people going "wtf is this shit, are you all seeing this obvious dog whistle?"
Yeah, that's what is arguably the worst part about it... they bent over backwards for BC, letting HIM dictate the terms of his ban, even with all the evidence laid out before them against him (like sure he ultimately got perm'd but only because "he was a trumper" like that was the worst part)... And yet a trans member makes a post venting about the situation in the thread meant for that... and she gets a permanent ban????

Dec 2, 2017
the Jimquisition this week is about the buggy state of cyberpunk 2077. Which feels a little disappointing when that's the least of the issues with this game.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to post this in the Off Topic thread about that ban, but since (surprise) it's been closed, I'll post it here

Given what the OP states and the "reason" for the permaban...this is incredibly petty. I do understand that the last few days must've been stressing for the moderation team after their massive screw up with Black Chamber but that's not how you react to it. That's another big screw up, and it definitely gives the (bad) impression that there's no change happening outside of nice words and talk of "ongoing communication with the trans community".

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking this weekend that if CDPR apologized, it'd be to gamers, wouldn't mention transphobia, and the letter would start with "dear gamers."

Lo and behold.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
I was about to post this in the Off Topic thread about that ban, but since (surprise) it's been closed, I'll post it here

Given what the OP states and the "reason" for the permaban...this is incredibly petty. I do understand that the last few days must've been stressing for the moderation team after their massive screw up with Black Chamber but that's not how you react to it. That's another big screw up, and it definitely gives the (bad) impression that there's no change happening outside of nice words and talk of "ongoing communication with the trans community".

yup

And I'm gonna offer my Trans Opinion™️ two cents here too, since that thread got shut up in a really disgusting manner and no one's gonna read it anyway

With how that poster was treated I'm exlectk going BAN REASON: doesn't want to be here (duration: banned for three fucking millenia), though, even though I do wanna be here!

---

I've been avoiding the entire board since Cyberpunk got released, and I'll probably be doing it for a while longer. I originally wanted to rakse a complain that discussion of such a blatantly hateful game shouldn't even be here and it should be treated the same as fucking Hatred, because it isn't even being blatantly ironically edgy about the subject. (...of, being edgy and hateful)

I am a pretty inflammatory person by nature, so I really didn't want to even make the argument myself. But seriously just letting that garbage fester is normalizing transphobic opinions.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now we have an admin telling a trans member to pound sand for being legitimately concerned about the way the Sibylus ban is being handled..

Real great work trying to improve the site.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Even if it was a self-requested ban, that message is snarky and petty as hell. Like a "good riddance."

Oct 25, 2017
Before and after the migration there has been zero accountability for bad bans. Only when other people step up like this is anything done, because I can assure you they do not read anything you send them when banned.

Their message when locking that thread was more of the same: They are going to handle this privately with the banned person so that whoever made this decision can go on being the kind of person they are with no accountability.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Before and after the migration there has been zero accountability for bad bans. Only when other people step up like this is anything done, because I can assure you they do not read anything you send them when banned.

Their message when locking that thread was more of the same: They are going to handle this privately with the banned person so that whoever made this decision can go on being the kind of person they are with no accountability.
It's also completely disrespectful to close that thread on the basis that "this is between the mods and that user" when bans like that have much wider implications that affect every other person on this site. It's complete bullshit to act like that's not the case and we have no reason to talk about it because it's not our business.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
How is any trans person in specific or any minority in general supposed to feel safe posting here when admins will lie in ban messages like that?

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is I feel for the trans community here. I am not going to lie and say I completely understand everything that's happening, but I am trying to educate myself. What I do understand from reading this thread is that a lot of pain and frustration has been caused to you and I wish that wasn't the case.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
So when a trans user uses the "proper channels" to discuss another user's ban with staff, she gets told to pound sand..? Is this real life? Poodlestrike feeling really comfortable showing his disdain for trans users when he thinks it's in private I guess.