• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 3, 2019
So is this like a new form of game development where you immerse yourself into the world your creating so it feel more realistic to the player? I mean there's method acting, so clearly this is something like that right? Right?
cyberpunk 2077 is actually a mixed reality game played by the employees of CDPR as they battle corporate overlords and late-stage capitalism in order to gain fake points so they can support the family they never get so see.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So is this like a new form of game development where you immerse yourself into the world your creating so it feel more realistic to the player? I mean there's method acting, so clearly this is something like that right? Right?
So the real Cyberpunk 2077 was the experience of developing Cyberpunk 2077. It all makes sense.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
User warned: off-topic posting. This thread is not for general game discussion
Maybe I had lower expectations than many here, but I've really been enjoying my time with the game so far. The graphics and art direction are stunning, the main quests are fun and there's some variety to them, and even the side quests are interesting. The world does feel a little hollow in terms of things to do outside of the main story/side gigs but to me that's fairly minor.

cyberpunk 2077 is actually a mixed reality game played by the employees of CDPR as they battle corporate overlords and late-stage capitalism in order to gain fake points so they can support the family they never get so see.
So the real Cyberpunk 2077 was the experience of developing Cyberpunk 2077. It all makes sense.
8ca.jpg

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So like... despite the game being profitable based on digital pre-orders alone, they were only going to pay out bonuses if it hit an arbitrary qualifier like 90 on metacritic?

How dare they implement such a system and only change it now the game's released, when they would've known the state the game was in for months?

lowendtheory

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
So like... despite the game being profitable based on digital pre-orders alone, they were only going to pay out bonuses if it hit an arbitrary qualifier like 90 on metacritic?

How dare they implement such a system and only change it now the game's released, when they would've known the state the game was in for months?
Isn't that every games company though?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
profitable based on digital pre-orders alone
Maybe someone has already posted it, but a recent article made a good point about the defense force around the game -- a lot of them are people who already paid for the game two years ago. That kind of person doesn't really want a critique, they just want reassurance.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This gets grosser every day.
Absolutely disgusting.

All these stories of crunch and companies literally being awful makes me really happy that the 2 games I've enjoyed the most this year (Hellblade and Hades) are from companies that are the opposite of this right now.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
How do you fake HDR in your next-gen AAAA cyberpunk game?

This game's so buggy even on PC that I want a list of 9/10 scoring reviewers to avoid.

Oct 27, 2017
So I know we don't do cross-site drama, but I just looked at the CDPR subreddit, and it's literally all negative and criticism, and I scrolled for awhile.

And the game is getting user review bombed on all platforms by angry fans.

Maybe, if super fans didn't want to be misled by reviews, they shouldn't have threatened and harassed people, who gave it lower scores. I can't believe poor performance and misleading marketing is what sparks the outrage, not the gross stances.

This is from just scrolling, not a peep about representation, but tonsss of angry Gamers™:

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I know we don't do cross-site drama, but I just looked at the CDPR subreddit, and it's literally all negative and criticism, and I scrolled for awhile.

Maybe, if super fans didn't want to be misled by reviews, they shouldn't have threatened and harassed people, who gave it lower scores. I can't believe poor performance and misleading marketing is what sparks the outrage, not the gross stances.

This is from just scrolling, not a peep about representation, but tonsss of angry Gamers™:

Complain about reviewers giving low scores to games and threaten them. So reviewers just act as hype factories and get threats anyways. It's sad.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

They've relaxed other rules in an effort to combat the negative posts regarding the game lol. Was raised in the OT but certainly seems like a blatant attempt to drown out the criticism of the game.

screenshot_20201212-0iyknm.jpg

Though, unsurprisingly, there's none I've spotted relating to the transphobia there's been a number around how vapid the world is and how they're not using it to say anything, instead just filling it with the most base level of juvenile edge. Which is part and parcel of the criticisms here too.

I'll also note I find it odd how 2/3 reviews for PS4 still stand at in-progress despite effectively saying the game is a disaster on the platform. Feels like there's a real reluctance to commit a low score to it even with the user score currently ranked to a 2.0. If it's to avoid an onslaught of wrath from the ardent fans like the Polygon writer received I'd understand, though it highlights a distinct concern around games that cultivate these cult like fanbases and what happens when the eventual release is mediocre or sub-par.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
wtf is happening with this company
(I know problems with modders doesn't come close to the other shit they said or did, just pointing out this one more shit)

Tweet has been deleted, I'm guessing from the text that this was about modding tools or something?

Man, who the hell woulda thought reading the subreddit for the game of all places would be the best way to drown out any potential last crumbs of excitement for the game or FOMO or whatever.

Like, even if we ignore all the crunch and bigotry and manipulation and fandom issues around CDPR and the technical issues, the game itself does sound just straight up underwhelming as all hell in many ways. Static, lifeless city with apparently zero interactivity and immersiveness. The worst police system you've ever seen. Literal zombie NPCs. Lacking tons of basic QoL features.

e: holy shit at the mods trying to encourage people to post low quality positive threads hahaha. The examples... I can't, my sides.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also note I find it odd how 2/3 reviews for PS4 still stand at in-progress despite effectively saying the game is a disaster on the platform. Feels like there's a real reluctance to commit a low score to it even with the user score currently ranked to a 2.0. If it's to avoid an onslaught of wrath from the ardent fans like the Polygon writer received I'd understand, though it highlights a distinct concern around games that cultivate these cult like fanbases and what happens when the eventual release is mediocre or sub-par.
Haha, I saw your post in the OT about the rule change. Pretty pathetic on their part.

And yes, I noticed how the reviews are deliberately slow on consoles. I fully expect it's to avoid nerd rage. The tonal whiplash around Cyberpunk discussion this week has been nothing short of incredible. I originally thought it was going to be showered in GOTY awards next year (it still might). But now I think it's much more likely to be remembered like GTA4. A "critical darling" upon release, but the further away people get, the more people realize it's not good.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Took a little time to catch up with this thread:

I believe the idea is to make Cyberpunk 2077 fans feel like second class citizens for a day as they're not allowed to have a separate PC performance thread like usual or any other threads about it. To that end, I feel the forum moderators have been successful.

I know this is a little old and the right action was taken but wow, I don't think I've ever seen something so privileged said here. I'm honestly laughing so hard at this. The poor oppressed gamer, such a 2nd class citizen they can't talk about a game for one day.

Anyways seeing the subreddit in the state it is in for all those reasons is completely understandable. The transphobia wasn't really ever going to take precedence over all the technical issues there but I'm actually surprised "industry darling" CDPR are actually catching some flak now. I would have never thought that that would happen outside small groups such as what we have here. What they did regarding the console versions of this game is beyond shady and disgusting.

The sad thing is, these angry people are probably the same sort of people that CDPR were absolutely trying to appeal to with their overall edginess. The same sort of people who harassed and sent death threats to women who reviewed the game and didn't give it a number they liked. This game was never, ever going to get review bombed or criticized by these sort of people for disgusting things like transphobia/misogyny and we all know this.

Obviously people are disappointed about general gameplay things there outside the bugs and stuff as well but, you know what, that's what happens when people get so hyped up about things, it only leads to disappointment. I suppose having a hype train that spanned 7 years really didn't help matters.

Speaking of reviews, especially regarding those around games, all they do is bring out toxicity in people and that includes here. The sooner every outlet abandons giving a number/grade of sorts the better.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
This plus the 90 minute commercial for Naughty Dog yesterday was a gross celebration of abusing workers

This plus the 90 minute commercial for Naughty Dog yesterday is a gross celebration of abusing workers.

Dec 2, 2017
Maybe I had lower expectations than many here, but I've really been enjoying my time with the game so far. The graphics and art direction are stunning, the main quests are fun and there's some variety to them, and even the side quests are interesting. The world does feel a little hollow in terms of things to do outside of the main story/side gigs but to me that's fairly minor.
You really do just want to ignore the mod posts and the tone of the thread huh

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Giant Beastcast talked about the game at length and they also got into issues surrounding representing minorities and transphobia.

It's kinda short, maybe 5 minutes, but it's good that they mentioned it at all I think.

One of their takeaways was that you are able to pick between more pubic hairstyles than black hairstyles.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's been noted by a couple of people in the OT that the Watson Whore advert has enough additional information around it to point to it depicting a gay man. It appears as though, inkeeping with everything else, it's obnoxious and purile but grounded in an actual 'character' as opposed to a throwaway image. I've removed the inclusion and taken the opportunity to add the "buy or fuck off" advert that we've now seen in the final product, that forms another unwanted chapter in the whole Chromanticore saga.

As an aside – there is a bug where your character sometimes appears fully naked in the mirror despite wearing clothes and my trans woman character suddenly finds herself an owner of a vagina. Which either further highlights the lack of thought behind CDPR's addition of these aspects to the game, or is a vibrant highlight of the advances of medical accessibility for trans people in the year 2077.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
As an aside – there is a bug where your character sometimes appears fully naked in the mirror despite wearing clothes and my trans woman character suddenly finds herself an owner of a vagina. Which either further highlights the lack of thought behind CDPR's addition of these aspects to the game, or is a vibrant highlight of the advances of medical accessibility for trans people in the year 2077.

Happened to my male (voiced) character as well. I didn't choose the kind of genitals in the character creator, just the "boxer shorts" option.
Still, the bug made me appear naked and with a vagina. It is a bug though, and the mirror is probably showing the base model which of course has no "added" parts from a polygonal standpoint. You're not supposed to see a base model, it's not the character you've created.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Happened to my male character as well. I didn't choose the kind of genitals in the character creator, just the "boxer shorts" option.
Still, the bug made me appear naked and with a vagina. It is a bug though, and the mirror is probably showing the base model which of course has no "added" parts from a polygonal standpoint. You're not supposed to see a base model, it's not the character you've created.
Interesting, so could likely just be more jank then. Everything else about my character was as-created, just without clothes, so certainly looked like she'd been given a sudden visit by the local medical practitioner lol. Gets hard to tell since they seem to dislike showing dicks in the game world outside of the CC/Inventory.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I just wanted to pop by after having spent 30 minutes in the character creator and say that thís is legitimately one of the worst ways to make a character creator for, allegedly, a gender neutral experience.

Infinitely more basic character creators do a better job by default by virtue of leaving your appearance entirely up to you, because here you're required to commit to arbitrary choices along the way that stifle *even what is actually in here*.

There is currently no way to even create a femme looking male character, because all the male facial features are firmly the chiselled action man variety, and to have softer features it requires you to switch over to the female "base body type". From there you can't do anything about having noticeable breasts, even though you have options for having a penis.

It all puts "mix it up" into such perfectly clear perspective that everyone who's been defending it is now a literal clown. Good luck with your new careers btw. This game has ZERO interest in- or respect for- the actual trans experience, or even meaningfully delivering on the promise of "being anyone you want". It is solely interested in the wacky future body mod fantasy version of it, where a person who o b v i o u s l y identifies as either male or female may want different genitals "installed" the way they'd get like a computer eye or a computer hand. Any pro-trans connotations that may accidentally be included are shot down by every conscious choice they've made.

At least that is 120% the way it comes across.

So I'd like to say to this point also that if CDPR are sincerely, genuinely trying and this is just how woefully uneducated they are, that's first of all mind blowing, but secondly it's also very sad and I hope they take the right lessons from all this blowback. If they really want to do better, it is SO EASY to do better even with the currently available content, and even though modders are guaranteed to fix their stupid character creator before CDPR do, they could easily do so officially themselves too before the inevitable "Enhanced Edition" release.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just wanted to pop by after having spent 30 minutes in the character creator and say that thís is legitimately one of the worst ways to make a character creator for, allegedly, a gender neutral experience.

Infinitely more basic character creators do a better job by default by virtue of leaving your appearance entirely up to you, because here you're required to commit to arbitrary choices along the way that stifle *even what is actually in here*.

There is currently no way to even create a femme looking male character, because all the male facial features are firmly the chiselled action man variety, and to have softer features it requires you to switch over to the female "base body type". From there you can't do anything about having noticeable breasts, even though you have options for having a penis.

It all puts "mix it up" into such perfectly clear perspective that everyone who's been defending it is now a literal clown. Good luck with your new careers btw. This game has ZERO interest in- or respect for- the actual trans experience, or even meaningfully delivering on the promise of "being anyone you want". It is solely interested in the wacky future body mod fantasy version of it, where a person who o b v i o u s l y identifies as either male or female may want different genitals "installed" the way they'd get like a computer eye or a computer hand. Any pro-trans connotations that may accidentally be included are shot down by every conscious choice they've made.

At least that is 120% the way it comes across.

So I'd like to say to this point also that if CDPR are sincerely, genuinely trying and this is just how woefully uneducated they are, that's first of all mind blowing, but secondly it's also very sad and I hope they take the right lessons from all this blowback. If they really want to do better, it is SO EASY to do better even with the currently available content, and even though modders are guaranteed to fix their stupid character creator before CDPR do, they could easily do so officially themselves too before the inevitable "Enhanced Edition" release.
Great post. It's crazy how limited the character creator appears to be amongst the general landscape of them in games now. So many aspects of this game seem outdated. Menus, inventory management, choices, gameplay, politics, character creator, world design, and AI.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I think the mods maybe need to review how they're tackling the ban on this game. I'd be all in for a full ban but restricting all discussion to two threads is kind of ending up in CDPR's favor. The game needs warning threads about unplayable last gen console versions, about how scummy their review practices were, how far the game is from being ready for release, etc... There are also other offensive issues we didn't know about before release that deserve their own threads.

Discussion about gameplay it self being restricted to one thread is fine and banning PR threads like sales milestones and opinions threads is okay, but there's no need to restrict all discussion to that thread, all the negative stuff/warning getting buried there is a PR wetdream for this game right now.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

Happened to me as well.

When i looked at the mirror i had no pants and no genitals at all.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is not lost on me that people tried their damn hardest to ignore all of the transphobia/ ableism issues and were even making obvious mocking and troll attempts because they knew we had a problem with its representation, but now that it has awful performance issues, is nigh-unplayable on some consoles, and drummed up hype through marketing that wasn't entirely truthful, it's now a moral obligation to make those issues well known because we can't let CDPR get away with it.

I almost feel bad that gamers chose this game to make their stand on. Almost.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, people are mad about the game being hot trash for the wrong reasons, but it's still nice to see this train wreck. agentsmithlaugh.gif

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imagine stanning for a game and hyping it in spite of its bigotry and awful labour practices and it just turns out to be really a bit shit.

You could power a small country off my schadenfraude right now.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Imagine self-identifying as LGBT+ or an ally of the community and selling your soul for a shitty game because CDPR sent you a chair or put you in said shitty game as an NPC or on a dumb billboard ad.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The irony is not lost on me that people tried their damn hardest to ignore all of the transphobia/ ableism issues and were even making obvious mocking and troll attempts because they knew we had a problem with its representation, but now that it has awful performance issues, is nigh-unplayable on some consoles, and drummed up hype through marketing that wasn't entirely truthful, it's now a moral obligation to make those issues well known because we can't let CDPR get away with it.

I almost feel bad that gamers chose this game to make their stand on. Almost.
Just to be clear, since this seem to be directed at my post, I was in support of the game getting a full site wide ban even before it was decided on this half ass ban.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
I'm just waiting for a whistleblower to start talking about how CDPR promised ad buys in exchange for 9+ scores or something. Or did they just rely on the implicit threat of rabid GG-style attacks to ensure they got those inflated numbers?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I made this post last Sunday...

I poked my head into the spoiler thread and

The fact the game might be panned for being janky/short/underwhelming is becoming a real possibility. Very curious how these folks will react if the game doesn't live up to the hype, and if that'll be what turns them against CDPR. Not the transphobia.

The next two weeks are going to be wild.

Turns out I was pretty spot on! Nothing's more predictable than capital G Gamers, I guess

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I made this post last Sunday...

Turns out I was pretty spot on! Nothing's more predictable than capital G Gamers, I guess
The only problem with this, is the next step of the predictable capital G Gamers will be harassment on the crunched out devs in particular targeting any minorities they find, which I am really concerned will very much happen.