• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is going to be helpful. This place is too far gone and has been for a long time. However, seeing someone that's been a respected journo for 20+ years seeing personal ramifications for a baseless ban on this forum due to alleged racism when it was anything but is horrid. I don't care if he said not to make a big deal of it. It needs eyeballs.

And now you've made it look like he's set his minions on the trans community, who had fuck all to do with this, in retaliation.

Good job.

Calvertutrp

Dec 4, 2020
Dude clearly doesn't give a shit about the Gabe situation, he's using at as a plausible smokescreen to start crap

Oct 25, 2017
This is how toxic this place has become. Here's what Gabe, the banned member in question, has been dealing with:

"
So, as i was fearing, today i woke up to a less than nice surprise.
The "downplaying racism" reason of my ban is already - in a suspiciously fast manner, i might add - creeping into my professional life. The potential of that happening is why i was so taken aback by the ban yesterday, and i apologize if was a little snarky or upset in the chat.
Basically i now have a scarlett letter on my forehead saying that i'm racist.
It's not superbad YET, don't misunderstand me, but i already got a couple of unexpected remarks and i think it's a pretty dangerous position given how quick things can escalate once these things start brewing.
I was also already made aware of private conversation celebrating my ban and the reason blurb, i honestly didn't think some people wanted my head so badly.

Keep in mind that being a verified member means that quite a few know who i am and were i work, so it's not just a ban on a stupid throwaway account, it has ramifications.

If you've read my posts, you know i wasn't downplaying anything. I can't even begin to think how it could have been interpreted that way.
Several Asian people were and still are, in fact, batting for me on the forum and appreciating that i went out of my way to research the particular topic by speaking directly with their communities. You can see the same thing happening in the comments of that "resetera takes" twitter account. I don't feel that i wronged anyone, and i know there was no malice behind anything i did. To be 200% sure i wasn't misrepresenting anything i even recorded the entire conference call i had with that particular asian community.

Some even spun it into me "wanting to silence minorities voices" for criticizing a certain written article, i don't know what the logic process is. But it DID NOT just criticize to shut down the conversation or without offering an alternative idea. I don't blame people for not knowing because it happened via private messages, and i certainly don't expect Kyuuji to come in my defense. But i did in fact offer her (Kyuuji) a platform and ideas that were in my opinion a more constructive way to boost the trans community signal.
She thanked me but had to gracefully decline for personal reasons.

I don't have a crazy "reach" online, i never in my life looked for clout or made clickbait tweets and such. Even the few times i wanted to leak something, i passed it to small websites and blogs without asking for credit like i did with the Damian Wayne Batman game or the FF7R. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to my profession because i always stuck to working on printed magazines.
I don't care about popularity. I live a normal, quiet, life and i'm happy that way.
Even the plethora of messages i received for the Canavero interview published on Kotaku prior to MGSV launch was something that i could barely handle.

In my spare time i work (and this is the most ironic part of my ban and what makes that reason tag inssuferable) in the field of minority integration in my community. On an unrelated note, i also design, print and build prothethics for dogs.
I'm not a bad guy, i fucking promise.

Now, i'm not "expecting" anyone to be my champion nor do i want to incite a mob to form and make any sort of outrageous revolution - i know some hot heads might want to turn this into some sort of weapon against certain communities and PLEASE DON'T, i was never out for blood nor am i now. And i certainly don't want a pity party. Feel superfree to ignore all of this if you don't care.

But, in the offchance that you do care, i am gonna ask you to reach out to your discord communities, or other forums that you might be part of, or even on resetera itself and make the people and/or the admins aware of this. "Boost my signal" if you will. I'm not doing this in order to have "a ban on a forum reversed". I honestly couldn't care less about the ban itself. But that history tag saying that i was "downplaying racism" is vile and false, it's starting to creep into my personal life and i'd like that to be stopped right away, before it gets out of hand. Nuke my account from orbit if you have to, so the people that reported me will still have my head and possibly be satisfied.

Thank you for your time and apologies for the wall of text and/or eventual typos...i'm a little stressed.
Gabe."

Great job trying to burn a respected journo for no fucking reason at all. Wow. What a great community you have here.
Maybe respected game journos shouldn't downplay racism

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
This tbh. It's surprising to me how much of this may be changed just by a bigger general culture shift away from what GAF was and how a lot of folks don't see it.

I don't think the nature of OTs is ever going to change without a drastic culture shift across the board, not within Era but within people entirely, because humans inherently seek out serotonin rushes and being excited for things is the most basic form. GAF, Era, and everywhere else has the 'problem' of people becoming very attached to the excitement in of itself for Big Expensive Product No.XXXX and attaching an identity to that excitement. They become a "hype guy" or whatever, which in the most obnoxious of cases results in cultivation of an overly positive echo chamber where criticism of all forms is dismissed. Happens on twitter too; those overwhelmingly positive people who can only ever talk positive things about whatever game, movie, TV show, product, etc they're excited for and seem oddly hostile towards any form of negativity because they haven't yet developed the cognitive mechanisms to reconcile multiple points of thought and perspective on the things they're interested in. It's like a default MUST BE THE BEST THING EVER versus MUST BE AWFUL.

It's been here since day dot with console warring horseshit, Next Big Video Game hype threads, every fucking Marvel film thread, etc etc. It's not so much an issue of Era as it is of people. The fallacy has always been in expecting Era to be any different, when the forum has largely been par for course, for better or worse.

I think I maybe put actual effort into one OT back in the day. From memory it was the Mass Effect 2 port for PS3. Then I just did every Mass Effect 3 DLC and N7 Day OT in paint. It's a lot more fun to just have fun with the OTs instead of pouring hours into free marketing for companies that largely don't need, as an intro post in a thread most people won't read, and will be quietly lost behind a mountain of pages.

Too much effort when I'd rather stick with this;

shepardvmqcs.png

blame space OTs were the best. The greatest one was "army of two 3: mexico unofficial |OT| thread"

EXACTLY

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
The insinuation that anyone's trying to "ruin" CDPR or that they actually can be "ruined" by this is lolworthy, even more so when you chuck in the "baseless claims" and "virtue signalling" shit.

Get some basic fucking empathy, the billion dollar corp will be fine.

JexaTrionx

Jun 22, 2020
fuck this lol, i was trying to put a ton of thought into my first post on the site about how I feel as a trans person about this shit but now I'm just too tired to put that effort in for cis people's benefit after seeing the latest chud come in here to whine about gamers rights.

Every person fighting against the apathy and inaction from the members and staff get my full love and respect. The discussions you have in these threads go much farther in the games industry than any in the OT, and people would do well to remember that.

Trans Rights Forever
Black Lives Matter

EDIT: For the record if you're in the industry and being banned on this site is causing immediate professional blowback, maybe you should be considering your words very carefully? That's just me.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
So to be clear for someone who hasn't really followed things, the stuff Bytes wants to complain about has absolutely nothing to do with Trans issues, he just sees progressive posters as an amorphous sjw blob to vent at in an unrelated topic?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Well, guess we can just close this thread since all those claims turned out to be baseless, huh?

Jesus Christ. 🤦‍♂️

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
fuck this lol, i was trying to put a ton of thought into my first post on the site about how I feel as a trans person about this shit but now I'm just too tired to put that effort in for cis people's benefit after seeing the latest chud come in here to whine about gamers rights.

Every person fighting against the apathy and inaction from the members and staff get my full love and respect. The discussions you have in these threads go much farther in the games industry than any in the OT, and people would do well to remember that.

Trans Rights Forever
Black Lives Matter
Welcome all the same, it's lovely to have you 💜

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
This is how toxic this place has become. Here's what Gabe, the banned member in question, has been dealing with:

"
The "downplaying racism" reason of my ban is already - in a suspiciously fast manner, i might add - creeping into my professional life. The potential of that happening is why i was so taken aback by the ban yesterday, and i apologize if was a little snarky or upset in the chat.
It's not superbad YET, don't misunderstand me, but i already got a couple of unexpected remarks and i think it's a pretty dangerous position given how quick things can escalate once these things start brewing.
I was also already made aware of private conversation celebrating my ban and the reason blurb, i honestly didn't think some people wanted my head so badly.

Keep in mind that being a verified member means that quite a few know who i am and were i work, so it's not just a ban on a stupid throwaway account, it has ramifications.

If you've read my posts, you know i wasn't downplaying anything. I can't even begin to think how it could have been interpreted that way.
Several Asian people were and still are, in fact, batting for me on the forum and appreciating that i went out of my way to research the particular topic by speaking directly with their communities. You can see the same thing happening in the comments of that "resetera takes" twitter account. I don't feel that i wronged anyone, and i know there was no malice behind anything i did. To be 200% sure i wasn't misrepresenting anything i even recorded the entire conference call i had with that particular asian community.

Some even spun it into me "wanting to silence minorities voices" for criticizing a certain written article, i don't know what the logic process is. But it DID NOT just criticize to shut down the conversation or without offering an alternative idea. I don't blame people for not knowing because it happened via private messages, and i certainly don't expect Kyuuji to come in my defense. But i did in fact offer her (Kyuuji) a platform and ideas that were in my opinion a more constructive way to boost the trans community signal.

I don't have a crazy "reach" online, i never in my life looked for clout or made clickbait tweets and such. Even the few times i wanted to leak something, i passed it to small websites and blogs without asking for credit like i did with the Damian Wayne Batman game or the FF7R. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to my profession because i always stuck to working on printed magazines.
I don't care about popularity. I live a normal, quiet, life and i'm happy that way.
Even the plethora of messages i received for the Canavero interview published on Kotaku prior to MGSV launch was something that i could barely handle.

In my spare time i work (and this is the most ironic part of my ban and what makes that reason tag inssuferable) in the field of minority integration in my community. On an unrelated note, i also design, print and build prothethics for dogs.

Now, i'm not "expecting" anyone to be my champion nor do i want to incite a mob to form and make any sort of outrageous revolution - i know some hot heads might want to turn this into some sort of weapon against certain communities and PLEASE DON'T, i was never out for blood nor am i now. And i certainly don't want a pity party. Feel superfree to ignore all of this if you don't care.

But, in the offchance that you do care, i am gonna ask you to reach out to your discord communities, or other forums that you might be part of, or even on resetera itself and make the people and/or the admins aware of this. "Boost my signal" if you will. I'm not doing this in order to have "a ban on a forum reversed". I honestly couldn't care less about the ban itself. But that history tag saying that i was "downplaying racism" is vile and false, it's starting to creep into my personal life and i'd like that to be stopped right away, before it gets out of hand. Nuke my account from orbit if you have to, so the people that reported me will still have my head and possibly be satisfied.

Thank you for your time and apologies for the wall of text and/or eventual typos...i'm a little stressed.
Gabe."

Great job trying to burn a respected journo for no fucking reason at all. Wow. What a great community you have here.
One: Why post this in this thread other than to troll?
Two: I read Gabe's post. He was totally trying to downplay racism and deserved a ban for that. If he doesn't want to have his career at stake, don't downplay racism.
Three: Again, What is the point of posting that in this thread again?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So to be clear for someone who hasn't really followed things, the stuff Bytes wants to complain about has absolutely nothing to do with Trans issues, he just sees progressive posters as an amorphous sjw blob to vent at in an unrelated topic?
I guess.

I must admit I was confused seeing the post as Gabe wasn't banned for anything he said in this thread.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Gabe also kept downplaying a trans journalist so it's somewhat relevant, but why would anyone defend that?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Trans Rights Forever
Black Lives Matter

EDIT: For the record if you're in the industry and being banned on this site is causing immediate professional blowback, maybe you should be considering your words very carefully? That's just me.
Welcome, welcome! Fully agreed with you.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Trans Rights Forever
Black Lives Matter

The rare low post account one is happy and joyed to see.

I celebrate you!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The insinuation that anyone's trying to "ruin" CDPR or that they actually can be "ruined" by this is lolworthy, even more so when you chuck in the "baseless claims" and "virtue signalling" shit.

Get some basic fucking empathy, the billion dollar corp will be fine.

I poked my head into the spoiler thread and

The fact the game might be panned for being janky/short/underwhelming is becoming a real possibility. Very curious how these folks will react if the game doesn't live up to the hype, and if that'll be what turns them against CDPR. Not the transphobia.

The next two weeks are going to be wild.

JexaTrionx

Jun 22, 2020
haha thanks all <3 I joined right before one of the major community blowups and I never really found the right "time" to start posting but hopefully I can post some more. :)
(How does quoting work lol)

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
So I saw CDPR trending on Twitter and this is the first thing that came up for me. This shit just shows how disappointing it is that the transphobia isn't being seriously covered outside of this forum. Instead of looking into the actual issues themselves, they mock us for it.

Mod edit: removed twitter link

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I never was on gaf and I know its a continuation of the practice from there, but the free-marketing "OT" concept for massive AAA games on here has always been very weird to me (quick clarification, though: they are great for smaller games since they tend to provide a place to discuss them that would be hard to find otherwise & the small promotion they get from the thread is generally a good thing)--and its especially frustrating to see for this particular game.

After literal years of gross shit from CDP/CDPR/GOG (primarily in marketing, but also in the products themselves) along with indefensible and widely-reported-on mismanagement practices & worker mistreatment, it's been pretty baffling to see this game continue to be breathlessly hyped up and marketed on this forum. This website literally has zero obligation to provide a platform for discussion about this media product, and I can only imagine discussion of it hasn't been banned due to the sheer volume of people interested in it (and of course the resultant ad revenue from so many eyes), winning out over the genuine and legitimate concerns of plenty of others.
It's not a perfect comparison, but I can only imagine if, hypothetically, a member of this site (even a 'prominent' one) opened a thread about, say, a new port of Heartbeat, an independent game developed by just two people who have been openly and proudly transphobic, that shit would be shut down almost immediately.

I don't know.....restricting discussion of the game entirely probably won't address the heart of the issue, and I'm not sure what the solution is, and I guess I should not and do not expect much more from a video game forum, but this is all really shameful and emblematic of many of the frustrations I (and seemingly many others) have with this website.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So I saw CDPR trending on Twitter and this is the first thing that came up for me. This shit just shows how disappointing it is that the transphobia isn't being seriously covered outside of this forum. Instead of looking into the actual issues themselves, they mock us for it.
These chuds and others like them spend their entire life day-in-day-out obsessing over us. Best not to pay them that much mind.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

"

Gabe."

shit bro. they probably could have had their account deleted and wiped that from the internet but you just cemented it in history

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Mod edit: removed twitter link
We do not wish to signal boost twitter accounts that spend their time digging through posts on our forum. Just a heads up why the link was removed. Thanks!

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Heyo everyone I'm awake now and like I said last night I think its time we get to work coming up with ideas. I sorta saw some of the last few posts and I do feel that moving the OT to a mod controlled OT may be for the best. With the way this situation has gone I do think removing the enflaming issue would probably allow us to move on a little easier. That said I'm a bit sad that we are going straight for blaming staff for this when the real problem are the dumb people enflaming things in that OT and I think thats the main issue that should be addressed.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This is how toxic this place has become.
Nothing is going to be helpful. This place is too far gone and has been for a long time.
I think you're not realizing what you're doing right now. Granted, I'm not very familiar with this situation, but according to other posters here what you're posting about it doesn't really have much to do with people in this thread. So I'll tell you how what you're doing looks like:

It looks like you're coming into a thread mainly used by the trans community, which just had to and still are going through a lot of shit because of this whole Cyberpunk OT situation, talking about an issue you have with a ban concerning racism, and that's what making this place so bad according to you. That's what makes it toxic. Not the transphobia that is the actual topic here, nuh-uh.

If your friend (?) has an issue with their ban message, there's a new ticket system on era. And various ways to contact staff. Why not use that instead of coming in here to complain towards people here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're not realizing what you're doing right now. Granted, I'm not very familiar with this situation, but according to other posters here what you're posting about it doesn't really have much to do with people in this thread. So I'll tell you how what you're doing looks like:

It looks like you're coming into a thread mainly used by the trans community, which just had to and still are going through a lot of shit because of this whole Cyberpunk OT situation, talking about an issue you have with a ban concerning racism, and that's what making this place so bad according to you. That's what makes it toxic. Not the transphobia that is the actual topic here, nuh-uh.

If your friend (?) has an issue with their ban message, there's a new ticket system on era. And various ways to contact staff. Why not use that instead of coming in here to complain towards people here.
They knew exactly what they were doing...

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
One: Why post this in this thread other than to troll?
Two: I read Gabe's post. He was totally trying to downplay racism and deserved a ban for that. If he doesn't want to have his career at stake, don't downplay racism.
Three: Again, What is the point of posting that in this thread again?

People don't understand that their choice of words matters and should be carefully chosen before posting.

If someone is afraid of professional ramifications, why even get out on that ledge in the first place unless you are 100% sure of what you are saying. A journalist, above almost anyone else, knows this.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Getting whiplash from seeing all the videos embedded in the spoiler thread being taken down. Imagine if CDPR spent this much energy fighting transphobia.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lots of clowns showing their asses in this thread. Imagine catching a perm defending racism in a thread about treating trans people like humans

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I have CDPR fanboys filling my mentions again after one of my tweets blew up, and again they're all using
1f4af.svg
. Anyone have any idea what this means?

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Wow, a lot happened in this thread since I last checked it yesterday. Can't respond to everything, but I stand in solidarity for Shiron and IceMonk.

It amazes me that some people can't empathize by doing the bare minimum. You can still play the game, but you don't need to overhype the OT by posting about every little thing that comes out. You can even enjoy it while still being critical about the problematic parts in it. You can also take your time with the game so you can digest it properly and comment about it in a more fair manner. FOMO is real and incredibly toxic.

Trans Lives Matter.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Getting whiplash from seeing all the videos embedded in the spoiler thread being taken down. Imagine if CDPR spent this much energy fighting transphobia.

Judging by their actions, CDPR doesn't care at all about any social issues or about how their work ends up affecting real people. Their bold populist marketing strategy makes clear that all they care about is building and maintaining an army of indoctrinated "fans" (that didn't even play the game yet). It's not that uncommon for a video game company to make some effort towards limiting leaks during the few days leading to a big release, but such an aggressive suppression effort isn't surprising coming from them at all.

When you think about it, having a video game company acting like this is really on-brand for the general climate of 2020... And like they conclude in the Polygon article, what's really worrying is that this aggressive populist strategy is working, which means that other companies might be tempted to adopt similar strategies to push their games in the future. And that's depressing.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I poked my head into the spoiler thread and

The fact the game might be panned for being janky/short/underwhelming is becoming a real possibility. Very curious how these folks will react if the game doesn't live up to the hype, and if that'll be what turns them against CDPR. Not the transphobia.

The next two weeks are going to be wild.
I honestly think people will just pretend it's still the best game ever.