• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spent the day shoveling and playing Control and come back to all of this mess. No way I can address it all so I am going to hit a few points.

First to all other members of the trans community. I won't leave, I was born angry and always have some kind of bug up my ass regardless of whether it's about my gender identity or not and I don't scare easy. But if anyone does I get it, and your not in the wrong, I probably SHOULD leave, I just won't. But if anyone does don't get banned, keep access to your account at least for PM's, my ear is always open and so are others.

And if there is movement we need a discord or something completely in our control, it's the individuals that make the community and I would miss so many of you.

Next, I have said this before and would like to co-sign Kyrona 's post about Kyuuji and the pressure and burden that is put on her, it's not fair to either her or the rest of us.

Beth Cyra if you need to leave do so but don't disappear. As an older person who has been active in forums for decades while I don't want to put a burden on you either you are an elder stateperson in these circles and your contributions are invaluable, though again I get it when you've been around this long and the things that happen (and a lot of posters don't seem to realize this issue don't go away when logging off, just being in the real world as a trans person is a seesaw between anger and fear on a daily basis for lots of us) I am sure you are tired, I know I am.

But other than looking into changing my screen name soon I'll still be here if people need to back and forth, and our own space where those who stay and those who leave can stay in contact would be nice.

Last I am at the point I support and will give support to our community, but I have no more interest in fighting with astroturfers and shills about my humanity over their game. In fact I think it's pretty shot even for good games and for once I agree wholeheartedly with PlanetSmasher, hype threads in general are just useless, at worst situations like this, but even at the best they mostly just contribute to fanboy warring and my game/console/hypemeter is bigger than yours type bullshit.

I could go on and on but would rather not, just choosing to address the few points I felt a need to, now I am back out to play Control, love to all those who deserve it, you know who you are.
Thank you, and it's crazy how us older guard feel the desire to be there, like we need to be there and support our brothers/sisters/NB's.

I won't disappear, I've decided I'll simply ask for a 90 day ban and take a break and then I'll come check in on everyone. I'm glad your sticking around, we need more like you.

On a side note: I just started Control, it's got some cool stuff going on, so I hope your really enjoying your time with it.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
I'm glad you appreciate them I do think that we all can get together and brainstorm more ideas as a community to fix this so that we have something we feel like we're in control of I know that helps me calm down alot. I feel bad about getting so angry and I hate it a lot but hey I've been tumbling ideas in my head for a good while.

Don't feel upset for getting angry in the slightest. We can control our actions and our behaviors, but emotions are absolutely natural.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Don't feel upset for getting angry in the slightest. We can control our actions and our behaviors, but emotions are absolutely natural.
I gotcha I'm just gonna get right to work doing something more productive. And it happens when you struggle with depression and self-esteem issues but hell if it isn't a motivator to do better.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, tons of love to you all, it's a complete mess how this was handled and I don't blame any of you for not wanting to be here anymore.

Just ban the fucking game from the site. Its not worth losing y'all over. Embarrassing day for the site and it's not because of all of you.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an OT idea:

"This thread is to discuss Cyberpunk 2077, a video game developed by CD Project Red"

*Insert statement from the trans community*

And there you go. That's all it needs.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i read that Polygon article and it had four "rockstar energy x cyberpunk" ads, one every couple paragraphs :/

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an OT idea:

"This thread is to discuss Cyberpunk 2077, a video game developed by CD Project Red"

Add a few links to various charities and sounds perfect.

CDPR don't deserve the free advertising and hype thread.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Here's an OT idea:

But then the thread isn't as much fun, other threads can be fun without being serious why is it always little us wahhh.

It's like it always our fault that people can't just enjoy the game, our fault. Not CDPR's fault for being pig ignorant hate peddlers, no its our fault.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
But then the thread isn't as much fun, other threads can be fun without being serious why is it always little us wahhh.

It's like it always our fault that people can't just enjoy the game, our fault. Not CDPR's fault for being pig ignorant hate peddlers, no its our fault.
I really do think staff should start clamping down of the stuff that is intentionally flaming our side. Like a lot of this could have been put to bed if someone had put their foot down and sorted this all out in some way. I feel like even if staff gave a warning I think stuff would have been sorted out much sooner than it did.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least something has to change. If the management team hopes this will just go away after the hype period, there will be DLCs and expansions, too. By the time these are done, it'll be time to have Hogwarts Legacy discussions.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Someone brought up the fact that OT's are a dangerous location for this sort of stuff and I agree because so much gets swept under the rug in them. A lot of times stuff doesn't get reported on and it ends up being an echo chamber of negative ideas. I think a good idea would be to have some sort of oversight of them. Tho I worry about this since I know this hasn't super worked in the past when some members got angry.

May 26, 2018
Feeling kinda bummed out again by how BC has been through all this. He says he's been educated by Kyuuji's efforts, but his conclusion is that CDPR is divisive. He doesn't actually say transphobic. Like, CDPR is just asking questions that maybe people don't like hearing, and that's on them if they're unhappy. I tried asking him, when he said he was educated, if he meant CDPR was transphobic and I think people believed I was an asshole for it.

Do we know what is going to be on that OT? Is BC coordinating with trans people to put a good message on there?

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
What's worse is that HP shows a direct evolution of people's train of thoughts in trying to justify bigotry. You can at least try to ration your way out of CDPR being rampantly transphobic to its core (Just bad PR, look at all of these LGBT+ devs, bs like that). You cant argue your way out of JK being a bigot without going into TERF territory. Even then people just go from ignoring or handwaving the issue (CDPR), straight to "I have reclaimed this from ________"/Separate the art from the artist/Death of the author/Think of the_______ ....

I've seen people bringing up that fucking T-Shirt as a defense for CDPR.

The basic ass shirt that they sold in a corner of their website and told no one about.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The sad part is that I read this, thought it was a real comment, and then saw your UN and Avi.

Jesus Christ.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Here's an OT idea:

If there's going to be a OT thread on the game I don't see why all CP discussion cant be confined to that thread at least. Theres a few thread pertaining to the game as of now.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
I should mention I don't think we'll be seeing a staff post till tomorrow morning or later in the day since everyone is asleep right now. So right now I think it's best we just get together and collaborate ideas till then and then submit them to staff when it happens and if they're willing to receive them. I think It will help narrow down and end this nightmare sooner rather than later if we have more facts and ideas to provide.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I should mention I don't think we'll be seeing a staff post till tomorrow morning or later in the day since everyone is asleep right now. So right now I think it's best we just get together and collaborate ideas till then and then submit them to staff when it happens and if they're willing to receive them. I think It will help narrow down and end this nightmare sooner rather than later if we have more facts and ideas to provide.
Have people thrown the idea of making another 1 or 2 prominent members of this thread, mods? I think it could do wonders to have one of you advocating from the inside

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
If there's going to be a OT thread on the game I don't see why all CP discussion cant be confined to that thread at least. Theres a few thread pertaining to the game as of now.
allowing CP threads comes with its own issues because of its popularity

if there's an OP, there will be a review thread, there will be a digital foundry thread, the Spoiler thread will stay up

mods might try and redirect all other threads to the OT, but those 4 will likely be all up at the same time, just from popularity alone, with people not finding the thread and making one themselves over and over

aint no way it would just be an OT and spoiler thread

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Have people thrown the idea of making another 1 or 2 prominent members of this thread, mods?
I don't think so although I think having more trans mods while nice and fills the gap after some seats got vacated I do feel like we may need to address the more problematic issues. I.e. better moderation methods and public relations as a whole maybe would be a better avenue to go down. That said I like your idea.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Before I go to sleep, I want to throw my support to the idea of having someone else do the OT. Whoever that person is, I think it'd help a lot if they actively contributed to this thread.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a passion project of the people who got it to happen as well. Which makes it even sadder, imo.
The story is that it was a shirt made specifically for the employees, but people saw them wearing it and requested it enough for them to make them available to the public and donate some of the money to charity... apparently not enough people for them to actually tell people they were doing it, which kinda defeats the purpose. But hey, at least they can say they kinda sorta half-assed something now!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been basically lurking the Cyberpunk threads for a long while now due to how hopeless I've felt about the situation on gaming side when it comes to trans issues. But the recent events have been exceptional enough that I do feel obligated to join those of you who've been strong enough to keep speaking up all this time. To say that this situation is wholly unsurprising would be an understatement. Time and time again, the concerns of trans era have been secondary to the concerns of the gaming populace at large. When only a small percentage of that populace is trans, it's all too easy for their concerns to be paid nothing more than lip service, which, invariably, is exactly what continues to happen.

That the discourse that occurred in the NCW thread was ever allowed to happen is precisely why a stickied thread and a bottom-of-the-page warning are not enough. Those can be (and too often seem to be) ignored. Era has a pervading problem with its culture, one that from my perspective favors AAA marketing over the needs of its marginalized communities. I recognize the difficulty staff must have in dealing with these issues, and empathize with those staff members that are a part of these communities. But that empathy and understanding are wholly separate from my feelings on the reality of the situation here, a situation that has been allowed to fester for months, maybe years. And the reality is that I feel unsafe and unwelcome here. This is a feeling that has somehow only grown stronger since what happened with Ketkat, and became especially apparent to me when Hogwarts Legacy was properly unveiled. I don't think this situation is sustainable. It will just happen again and again.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I don't think so although I think having more trans mods while nice and fills the gap after some seats got vacated I do feel like we may need to address the more problematic issues. I.e. better moderation methods and public relations as a whole maybe would be a better avenue to go down. That said I like your idea.
Yeah, moderation needs to change, and doing so would be substantially easier with more of yall on the mod team. I would really push for it.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Yeah, moderation needs to change, and doing so would be substantially easier with more of yall on the mod team. I would really push for it.
Part of me feels like Staff feels frustrated by this situation too and I think working through and kind of keeping things civil(edit: by taking action) could go a long way. That said I think we need better techniques to deal with the sort of mob mentality that happens when bad stuff breaks out like with what just happened. Someone needs to reign everyone in but also encourage more positive discussion as a whole. While this isn't easy and if handled wrong can upset more members of the community I think it could go a long way to shortening the periods of chaos with someone willing to listen to the issues at hand instead of having that initial kneejerk reaction(tho this takes a lot of guts to do and is very hard to do and my sympathies go out to staff when this happens). It's especially helpful by even temporarily removing the problem before it can get out of hand.(i.e. temporarily banning or thread banning the person or locking the thread down.)

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Like a lot of folks, been lurking these threads for a bit now, but given how things have gone tonight, just wanted to speak up to voice solidarity with TransEra. Hope that mods can see through the empty calls for civlity and take solid action to re-affirm the value of marginalized members of this community.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The dude whose only purpose on this website is to create hype threads for Cyberpunk has claimed he didn't know about all of the issues in the only game he ever talks about prior to August 2020? Lmao

What a mess. Something needs to change here and it's long overdue. People want to get hyped about the game, that's fine, that's their prerogative. I'm more baffled that moderation is just letting a multitude of OTs for a game that isn't even out yet slide. A game and developer with a ton of issues. I expected, so, so much better from this place.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Frankly, after multiple botched patch jobs, the mod team would just be spitting in the community's face by denying upgrading 1 or 2 of you up to mods.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Like a lot of folks, been lurking these threads for a bit now, but given how things have gone tonight, just wanted to speak up to voice solidarity with TransEra. Hope that mods can see through the empty calls for civlity and take solid action to re-affirm the value of marginalized members of this community.
I really hope so too tbh. I want to believe that things will get better here. And if that means speaking up I am all for it. Like things shouldn't have gotten as bad as they did. Also, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to voice your support for us it means a lot.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Yeah. In an ideal world, of course we would want to educate. But in an ideal world the education wouldn't need to be done in the first place. Calling for civility solely in the hopes of education, but then leaving vulnerable groups as the ones who have to do the education is doing nothing more than putting them at risk.

The kind words and sentiment are appreciated. Much love.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

Same here. I don't try to get too much involved in these matters but seeing what happened tonight I am pretty disappointed and will say: I support trans rights and agree with the folks here that things need to improve for TransEra. I really hope there'll be efforts on the moderation front to help work better with this community.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Ain't this the truth. At some point we need to realize that civility without meaningful action is just enforced silence. As someone who's been on both the mod side and the poster side, I understand that situations like these are more complex in every way than they appear, but we've had so many explosions like this that as a community we need to realize that the previous status quo might not be something we want to push for again.

We need to build a new one.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
allowing CP threads comes with its own issues because of its popularity

if there's an OP, there will be a review thread, there will be a digital foundry thread, the Spoiler thread will stay up

mods might try and redirect all other threads to the OT, but those 4 will likely be all up at the same time, just from popularity alone, with people not finding the thread and making one themselves over and over

aint no way it would just be an OT and spoiler thread
Hmm yea I didn't think about how many people would be making threads that would need to be redirected to the OT. Though it would be worth at least attempting imo. And it might make me a bit of an arse but I'd combine the OT and spoiler threads also.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
And it might make me a bit of an arse but I'd combine the OT and spoiler threads also.
on that im of two minds

for one, if the OT is gonna be like any other OT, the thread is gonna be full of people looking for help, and having those posts alongside full spoiler discussions would make the thread a nightmare on an OT scale

there would have to be a full lockdown on using spoiler tags

but on the other hand, having such a hard lockdown of spoilers in an OT would make it a very highly moderated thread, which maybe could help with getting mod eyes on whatever posts dismissive of trans issues that might crop up a lot faster

so maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea 🤷‍♂️

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Ain't this the truth. At some point we need to realize that civility without meaningful action is just enforced silence. As someone who's been on both the mod side and the poster side, I understand that situations like these are more complex in every way than they appear, but we've had so many explosions like this that as a community we need to realize that the previous status quo might not be something we want to push for again.

Yeah, when the calls to be a bit more calm come from good places it's fine. But if people are saying that other people being unreasonable at this point because we aren't being civil enough, it does feel like it's one of two things: either they have missed the last few months, or they want us to make less noise. Not saying all calls for it come from those places, but it does make them seem a bit sus sometimes.

This is off topic, but is that Locke? Pretty good taste.

P.S. Fat4all we may disagree on uwu, but you are a good guy

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when the calls to be a bit more calm come from good places it's fine. But if people are saying that other people being unreasonable at this point because we aren't being civil enough, it does feel like it's one of two things: either they have missed the last few months, or they want us to make less noise. Not saying all calls for it come from those places, but it does make them seem a bit sus sometimes.

This is off topic, but is that Locke? Pretty good taste.

Precisely. I'm not about to label every person in those threads as MALICIOUSLY contributing to the aura of trans-exclusion that happens so often around the discussion of CP, but it's definitely hard to look at certain calls for civility as anything other than folks using the forum's rules to try and silence viewpoints they don't want to hear.

And yep, it's Locke. VI's still my favorite FF after all this time.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020

I feel like this starts with getting something on paper and genuinely trying to figure stuff out. I don't want anyone to villify or demonize staff for what happened and I especially hope people don't do this tomarrow. If we want to suggest positive changes to the community we need to treat staff like human beings and not as perfect people. I think in the long term the more we help staff the more bad stuff doesn't happen. It's rather late and I'm tired so I'm going to call it a night but please please please dont attack them just try to help. And maybe the old ways don't work but in order to change those ways we need to start putting together a list of things that we can potentially change.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
P.S. @Fat4all we may disagree on uwu, but you are a good guy
👍

I've been aware of all this pretty much as it's happened over the last couple years, but i haven't gotten super involved discussing it because I just ain't super interested in the game itself, but there's no way to avoid what's going to be a very rough patch for trans members of Era

imo, if admins want to commit to hosting threads about CP, they need to guarantee that trans voices, or anyone's voices when it comes to discussing minority transgressions that might crop up with the game or CDPR in the future, are not run into the ground by dismissals, drive-bys, and flat out trolling

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
just got caught up on everything and i wanted to send out love to transera. sometimes it really feels like a boys club on here, i can't even imagine what you guys r going thru.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
and as a shitposter, id like to think i know the line between shitposting and trolling, but i do depend on others to keep me in check

i may be a shitposter but i try not to be an asshole

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this starts with getting something on paper and genuinely trying to figure stuff out. I don't want anyone to villify or demonize staff for what happened and I especially hope people don't do this tomarrow. If we want to suggest positive changes to the community we need to treat staff like human beings and not as perfect people. I think in the long term the more we help staff the more bad stuff doesn't happen. It's rather late and I'm tired so I'm going to call it a night but please please please dont attack them just try to help. And maybe the old ways don't work but in order to change those ways we need to start putting together a list of things that we can potentially change.

I'm with you. We're not doing anyone, or ourselves, any favors by attacking the staff. There's nothing wrong with being angry or upset in this situation, but we have to fight the right battles.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, the one exceedingly obvious move is to just have a relatively barebones OT made by a mod.

As for the rest that should happen, well, I hope we'll get there. But this place seems to be constantly losing minority members (for a good reason) so I can't say I'm very optimistic.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I looked at this thread and then THAT thread. Yea... I'll just keep avoiding all other threads relating to this game/company because my rage is fucking seething right now.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Know I don't post here that often (largely because I'm self-conscious of my Verified tag mentioning a game I work on and worrying about posts either being perceived as marketing or tying my clients to my opinions and beliefs), but I'm here to just say that something has to be done here. I've been watching this go down for the last few months (know I'm late to this and it might seem inelegant to say so now, but thanks Kyuuji for the comprehensive OP that I've linked to and plugged in other places,) but tonight is just...a lot.

Solidarity with my fellow trans siblings and TransEra. Trans rights are human rights, and people deserve to be fundamentally treated with respect. The behavior I've seen tonight and over the last few weeks and months is so far from acceptable it's led to tears and seething rage. Please know you are all loved and thank you for fighting for trans respect against an increasingly depressing situation.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kyuuji

I've been debating on making this post for a while now. After all the things that have been going on in the Night Wire OT it's pushed me to suck it up and do it.

Cyberpunk 2077 is literally a potential dream game of mine. I've wanted a game like this since I was a freshman in high school (I'm in my 30s now to give you an idea). From playing the original Deus Ex, to Morrowind, and GTA3. I've been wanting a game that would merge the best of all these games and CP2077 seems to be trying that. Cyberpunk is my favorite genre of fiction as well to add on top of it. And CDPR has been a favorite dev of mine since The Witcher 1 first released.
I say all that only to add gravity to my point. Which is I've been super conflicted on buying this game. Even though it's a literal game of my dreams I don't feel 100% okay spending money on it. I want to support trans people. I want to support trans rights. I want trans people to feel welcome and to not be belittled. But I don't know what to do.
I will most likely won't be cancelling my pre-order, hell I bought a brand new gaming PC solely for the purpose of playing this game in as high settings as possible. But it feels so hypocritical of me. I don't know what to do. So far I've just resigned myself to keeping silent, to allowing the trans community to say their peace and not get in the way. I've tried to keep out of Cyberpunk threads despite my hype just so I wouldn't be bumping threads. But that only feels like the bare minimum to me.
I seriously don't know what to do. So I'm making this post to at least thank you for your dedication in highlighting these issues. What you've done is brave and super important. You ought to be proud of yourself, no matter what anyone else says, no matter how the gaming community at large receives Cyberpunk, you've done a massive job.
Right now money is tight for me, but I promise you I will donate to a reputable community/charity that fights for trans rights. I hope at least that will offset the money going towards CDPR from my pocket.

Again, thank you for your hard work.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
User banned (1 week): ignoring staff post
I'm still so torn on which version to get either the PS5 or the series X I don't know.