• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Does a single person buy this shit? We're supposed to believe that the poster in question intended to include a special message in the next OT, but it was just not mentioned for.. reasons? That "everyone is included" actually covered it?

Lol come the fuck on

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People in the Cyberpunk thread are totally gonna turn that 100 symbol into a dog whistle.
Honestly was thinking the exact same thing a while ago. ]
I'm not convinced it isn't already one.

I didn't mention this yesterday because I didn't want to point the finger when there wasn't grounding to do so, but I've been arguing Cyberpunk on Twitter with its fans the last few days and they all use that 100 symbol. I've never seen it in any other context, so I was a bit creeped out to see BC use it repeatedly yesterday.

May 26, 2018
Man this shit's about to implode completely. Like, this thread, the OT -- think all this shit about to get frozen in time.

Hope trans people find love and respect and a place to live in peace. I really do. I'll continue to learn and speak when I can.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
=(

You're not a nobody, I like seeing your posts! Plus I need more Kat in my life.

I am compared to basically everyone else in this thread but things are never going to get better here so what is the point in staying? Like this is only the start. Just think of what's going to happen when Hogwarts Legacy is closer to release? Same shit probably.

I'm clearly not welcome here so it's best I just don't bother anymore.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would think today's events combined with the fawning over Black Chamber should be proof that that the OT' don't do shit to educate or facilitate discussion on the game's transphobia.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
My feelings on bans like that are.. hmm.

Like... honestly I cannot join you in being surprised. That kind of thing, especially posting a PM, has always ended with a ban from what I've seen.

That doesn't mean I think it was a merited ban or that there aren't better ways to handle someone doing that. But it is 100% in line with what I expect and I feel like you have to know what you're doing going into it. Especially as there feels like there's an unflinching policy of "things that you do probably expecting a ban will be met with a ban".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We really need to end hype threads. As a general forum-wide rule. They do nothing but provide circle-jerks of fanboyism that breed defensive, toxic micro-communities.

Oct 26, 2017
I just wanna hop in to thank the people in this thread and Era's trans community in helping me understand how transphobia manifests itself in different ways. I've always considered myself to be in favor of trans rights, but interacting with the trans community here has made me see that both my knowledge regarding the subject and my support of trans people have been lacking.

Reading the discussion surrounding the issues with the game made me decide to skip the game. More recently I've learned a lot from all of you awesome people by reading this thread and I wanna keep listening and learning, so I joined my local trans non-profit organization as a monetary supporter (without any say in the organizations decision making since I'm a cishet man). I will keep donating, learning and voting to help the trans people of my country in any way I can.

The recent situation has also made me dissapointed in the forum's handling of the game's OT. Especially since a disclaimer about the issues surrounding the game sounds like a pretty simple thing to do.

Just wanna thank you for this post, I've never participated because I feel I'm not knowledgeable enough or eloquent enough to actually contribute anything but your post is exactly how I feel.

The fact that some members have (and continue to) expressed more empathy towards Black Chamber than towards the entire Trans Community is pretty disgusting, and incredibly disappointing. How can you be so tone deaf. People were just asking for the bare minimum, they couldn't even get that. Or, I guess they were always gonna include in the OT what was requested of them, but why ignore all the polite requests in the first place.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot of rules and norms that carried over from GAF without much thought in why they're used or how helpful they are for the actual community, tbh

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly, finding out that recently BlackChambers tried to get Kyuuji to not post about trans issues with CDPR in their thread and it was only four months a go, I don't think they are the right person to handle this. I don't think necessarily they are a bad person but they clearly are super hyped for this game and arne't objective enough to handle these issues.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am compared to basically everyone else in this thread but things are never going to get better here so what is the point in staying? Like this is only the start. Just think of what's going to happen when Hogwarts Legacy is closer to release? Same shit probably.

I'm clearly not welcome here so it's best I just don't bother anymore.

I don't even want to think of the discussion for hogwartz legacy. But I dont know what the HP community is like on resetera.
honestly, I find I don't really want to get mixed up in discussions here on trans stuff. and it was only recently that I bothered to be openly trans here
even for cyberpunk I still want to play it for myself and see. But I hadn't remembered hogwarts was coming out and now I am kind of torn about just blanket bans on games attached to terrible creators.

I mean fucking anything attached to Rowling can just go in the trash

Sep 10, 2020
I have had Black Chamber on ignore since I got banned in a Night City thread the day this went up in October. The only time I've gone to look at his stuff is when people in here brought up something I wanted to look at myself.

That thread is disgusting. The thread itself is now transphobic. People in there are openly pissed at trans users for bringing up trans concerns.

Fuck

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, NOW people are caring about moral issues because of the screenshot of that PM.
lol.

era.png

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
We really need to end hype threads. As a general forum-wide rule. They do nothing but provide circle-jerks of fanboyism that breed defensive, toxic micro-communities.
Yup. It's gotten especially bad with this game because of how much CDPR has leant into encouraging that sort of fanboy behaviour.

I'm dreading what the review thread is going to be like. They're a shitshow at the best of times, especially when a review is critical of things like transphobia or dare to mention the word politics.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
The whole thing is just an absolute disgrace. This is the only thread on gaming side I regularly check in on and to see where it's ended up makes me so angry. Really sorry this is how Era is treating the Trans community.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's also especially bad because this games existence has been hyped for about a decade now.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot of rules and norms that carried over from GAF without much thought in why they're used or how helpful they are for the actual community, tbh

There is absolutely my feeling, that despite everything the rules say to counter it, there's a lot of things that are considered "part of the forum" here that solely encourage that outright kind of fanboy/warring/generally gross behavior.

My personal nemesis is always going to be review threads, but it applies to a lot else too.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
independent of how one might feel about black chamber, it's clear that calling out transphobia is more important than posting private messages publicly. that doesn't mean posting private messages publicly isn't a heinous thing to do, and i'm certain many of us here would freak out if someone did that to us.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Honestly, finding out that recently BlackChambers tried to get Kyuuji to not post about trans issues with CDPR in their thread and it was only four months a go, I don't think they are the right person to handle this. I don't think necessarily they are a bad person but they clearly are super hyped for this game and arne't objective enough to handle these issues.

And framing her really very friendly and warm message as:

"She was going to come and deliberately derail one of my threads" Then getting all passive aggressive in the reply as well.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People already going to blame Kyuuji for the fact the screencap of the PM even exists sadly... Because that's totally the real issue.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I've only been lurking this thread so far as someone still struggling a lot with the "am I trans enough to say anything" question, but:

The actual Official Thread is going to be disgusting marketing / hype hype hype nonsense ain't it. I know it is usually but in this case it's going to feel extra gross.

If there has to be an OT then I honestly think a mod should make it with the most barebares info about the game.
Beat me to it.

OTs for AAA games that look like they were built in conjunction with the official marketing team have been an absolute plague on this community for over a decade, and I'm not surprised that one is poisoning the discourse around a major game yet again. The traditional forum is a creaky old institution in this day and age, but the people who choose to be here first and foremost still do so because the format encourages discussion.

OPs that could be mistaken for marketing websites generate hype, even before they're posted, and hype is fucking poisonous to discussion. It runs discussion over and strangles the body, then threatens anyone who voices dissent.

The two cannot coexist.

When the tone of the thread that's meant to collate discussion into a single place comes off as "HOLY SHIT THIS GAME IS AMAZING HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS", what's anyone supposed to take away from that? It can't possibly be a surprise that powder kegs keep going off when the site is trying to have its cake and eat it too.

This whole debacle could've been avoided if being part of a game's marketing cycle wasn't embedded in the community culture. Why is a discussion thread an event so big in its own right that there's a team of people putting it together?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why that thread hasn't been locked again. It's way worse in there now than it was the last time it was locked.

The arguments saying only like truly abhorrent games about school shootings etc are banned should be reevaluated given how toxic this shit is. What would the site lose if all Cyberpunk discussion was banned? Maybe some members would cry censorship and leave, but if the alternative is losing members of the trans era community then... just take that L tbh.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

There is absolutely my feeling, that despite everything the rules say to counter it, there's a lot of things that are considered "part of the forum" here that solely encourage that outright kind of fanboy/warring/generally gross behavior.

My personal nemesis is always going to be review threads, but it applies to a lot else too.
I'd second all of this. It's clear that hype threads (and review threads, and similar) only breed hostility, toxicity, and exclusion. The sort of communities that form in those type of threads are wildly insular, as Era's Cyberpunk discourse has made plain.

It's all just recruiting grounds and making battle lines for fanboy bullshit.

OTs can have that problem on their own, but letting things pile up before the floodgates are open only amplifies it. (It's always why I thought the "no OT until day of release" rule was a good one.)

Mar 19, 2020
So many posters are saying everyone needs to stop "cyberbullying" and "dogpiling" yet still not voicing any support or even addressing the issues TransEra are facing. It's sad how unwilling people are and really shows me where some posters priorities lie. Infuriating.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kyuuji I just want to say I'm sorry the last few days have turned out like this. I hope the other thread doesn't get you down and you are a good poster and a good person to the trans era community.

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you don't mind but I quoted this post for the image in that thread because it's absolutely true.

What's done is done so I guess I don't really mind.

independent of how one might feel about black chamber, it's clear that calling out transphobia is more important than posting private messages publicly. that doesn't mean posting private messages publicly isn't a heinous thing to do, and i'm certain many of us here would freak out if someone did that to us.

No one here is saying posting PMs is fine, just pointing out that people are hand wringing over that but either had fuck all to say or were dismissive in regards to our concerns. It's possible to be concerned for both issues and really, people should be concerned with both. But supporting basic human rights is a bridge to far for some apparently.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I feel like there was a path to make sure the voice of the trans community was heard loud and clear in every Cyberpunk thread posted here, but the way forward that was chosen was absolutely not the right way to go.

There was absolutely a thin line to walk here and make sure the community that is in this thread did not feel marginalized, and what has transpired is an absolute failure of that.