• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given my post history here it may sound odd but I don't see any point in locking the OT given the delay.

It made sense with Transgender Visiblity/Remeberance day, as even if it was locked and Cyberpunk players came to this place and saw it was locked, if they decided to go else where there would be a chance of seeing people stand along side us as it's a day for our community.

Dec 10th though? If it's locked they will just go elsewhere and the likely hood they encounter Trans soldariry is very minor and frankly locking it absolutely undermines the whole reason as to why we are told that Cyberpunk and CDPR are still allowed on this forum.

One day in the middle of December when people are focusing on their hype, the holidays and winter issues are not going to make people take notice or think of us, let alone really pay attention to the transphobia in 2077 or how it harms our community.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Given my post history here it may sound odd but I don't see any point in locking the OT given the delay.

It made sense with Transgender Visiblity/Remeberance day, as even if it was locked and Cyberpunk players came to this place and saw it was locked, if they decided to go else where there would be a chance of seeing people stand along side us as it's a day for our community.

Dec 10th though? If it's locked they will just go elsewhere and the likely hood they encounter Trans soldariry is very minor and frankly locking it absolutely undermines the whole reason as to why we are told that Cyberpunk and CDPR are still allowed on this forum.

One day in the middle of December when people are focusing on their hype, the holidays and winter issues are not going to make people take notice or think of us, let alone really pay attention to the transphobia in 2077 or how it harms our community.
I'd rather something be done than nothing at all even if it's minimal. We all deserve the care and respect that everyone should all be getting as human beings. Besides I'd rather all that hype go elsewhere than to straight up ignore all the problems we are dealing with. And if people want to go elsewhere that's fine since at least era listened to us. Standing in solidarity with the trans community is a dream I want to see fulfilled.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather something be done than nothing at all even if it's minimal. We all deserve the care and respect that everyone should all be getting as human beings. Besides I'd rather all that hype go elsewhere than to straight up ignore all the problems we are dealing with. And if people want to go elsewhere that's fine since at least era listened to us. Standing in solidarity with the trans community is a dream I want to see fulfilled.

Maybe locking all CDPR threads for the day would suffice.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the OT should be locked for a day.

It should be for a week. And this specific thread should be as highlighted as possible during it.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Witcher is based on someones elses world though, now Im not familiar enough with the books to say If they're as sexist and objectifying of woman but apparently they do feature references to rape, underage sex etc.. so i guess theres something to be said for being true to source material rather than it all coming from CD Project Red.

Now this isnt in defense of the company. I completely understand anyone who doesnt want anything to do with CDPR games anymore.
I haven't read the books either so obviously don't take my word for this, but based on everything I've heard (from more objective viewpoints, anyway), they're largely much better to the female characters than the games, giving many of them actual agency that the games tend to take away. Obviously there are still missteps (like how Ciri's girlfriend is handled) but overall it seems like a much more thoughtful execution.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
I know and understand that we should have tempered expectations with regards to engagement on this issue, and we have had a lot of good engagement here. I am proud of this thread and the tireless work of both those who are fighting to be heard and those listening.

But FUCK. We've had this thread for 3 weeks and the announcement of the delay has more community engagement in a few hours. It just really sucks that no matter what the issue is: crunch, transphobia, racial concerns, etc, It doesn't matter as much to most people until they themselves are affected by it. I should be used to it from my work, it's just discouraging to see.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just think it's funny (not really) that whenever racism or LGBTQ+phobia is brought up, there's the counter of "think about the team! All the OTHER people working on the game! They dont deserve to get punished!"

And then crunch and poor general work conditions come out for company in question, and the people decrying "think about the dev team! The little guy !" The ones that are already paid, mind you, those people worried about their wellbeing are suddenly gone or trying to justify it in some way.

Now the game gets delayed, which FURTHERS this. Even far less concern for the transphobia, and even less concern about the devs. More people are concered about not being to play their stupid video game sooner rather than later.

Don't believe me? That delay thread is full of it.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Yeah, I mean on one hand I get it. I am vehemently opposed to crunch and the way people are treated, but I have fought way harder on this because it is more important to me directly. It is human nature to do so. But that said, it still sucks to see that for many people this is the straw that broke the camel's back, as opposed to the last few hay bales we went through.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Even without the transphobia, I find that The Medium looks a lot more exciting than this game. Now that they're coming out on the same day, it really won't be that hard for me to find something else to play. Thanks for moving your crappy game to a better date, CDPR.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
But FUCK. We've had this thread for 3 weeks and the announcement of the delay has more community engagement in a few hours. It just really sucks that no matter what the issue is: crunch, transphobia, racial concerns, etc, It doesn't matter as much to most people until they themselves are affected by it. I should be used to it from my work, it's just discouraging to see.

Just saw your posts in that thread and had to laugh.

It's easier to make a quick "wtf" post in the delay thread than engaging with this thread, which makes it grow so much quicker.

Totally understandable to feel discouraged. Progress is fucking slooooooooooow.

Mar 25, 2019
Just saw your posts in that thread and had to laugh.

It's easier to make a quick "wtf" post in the delay thread than engaging with this thread, which makes it grow so much quicker.

Totally understandable to feel discouraged. Progress is fucking slooooooooooow.

This is accurate. I've been reading posts in this thread since it's been created, but today was my first time posting in it to try and keep it on the front page while the delay thread gets max engagement. It absolutely is representative of the hesitation of members to engage in these topics though considering the activity in the delay thread

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I know and understand that we should have tempered expectations with regards to engagement on this issue, and we have had a lot of good engagement here. I am proud of this thread and the tireless work of both those who are fighting to be heard and those listening.

It's quantity over quality. Most posts in the delay thread are quick comments and concern about the state of the game. A lot bring up the crunch problem and some even mention the transphobia. So it's not all bad and it should not discourage you.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm glad plenty of folks are discussing the crunch, transphobia, and other issues in all the more active news threads so people can still see and be aware of them.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
It's quantity over quality. Most posts in the delay thread are quick comments and concern about the state of the game. A lot bring up the crunch problem and some even mention the transphobia. So it's not all bad and it should not discourage you.
That's true, and it is something I probably should take into account. Still jarring to wake up to haha. I have seen a lot of people bringing up the issues and fewer chuds, and the ones that I have seen have been so debunked that they just go back to 'stop making things about politics'.

Progress is slow, but it is happening

Update on the OT thread lock situation

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Needless to say this is a unique situation with the delay and OT locks won't be a regular thing going forward. But because we've already committed to closing the OT for a day to raise awareness, we're going to uphold that commitment and the OT will be closed the day after launch, as it would have before this delay. We've already spoken with Black-Chamber and Vestan and they're still totally supportive and on board.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Hey everyone,

Needless to say this is a unique situation with the delay and OT locks won't be a regular thing going forward. But because we've already committed to closing the OT for a day to raise awareness, we're going to uphold that commitment and the OT will be closed the day after launch, as it would have before this delay. We've already spoken with Black-Chamber and Vestan and they're still totally supportive and on board.
Huzzah this is the best news thankyou, Sophia!

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Hey everyone,

Very good news. Any chance you'll still lock them on Trans Day of Remembrance too, or will it just be that one day after release?

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Not to deviate to much on the topic, but I also believe reviewers, and others who contribute to the marketing of it, should highlight the transphobia within CDPR.

I don't believe they will, as we are even seeing people trying to defend/excuse CDPR with everything they can, but one can hope.

Ware

Jun 3, 2020
Honestly I'm really upset and mad that there are more feelings of outrage, shock, betrayal, and hurt over the game being delayed than the company being transphobic. It has been interesting seeing CDPR going from the gold standard to gamers to the point where people were willing to overlook transphobia and labor issues, to all of a sudden insulting CDPR because of a last minute delay.

My rights and my dignity are worth so much more than a videogame coming out on time. And I wish people acted like that. (These comments are directed largely at twitter, youtube, and reddit)

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing that CDPR staff are getting death threats over this delay, obviously death threats are inexcusable no matter the context, but it's yet another example of the devs getting shafted by a marketing team specifically targeting and catering to the worst kind of gamer.

This is the kind of fanbase they cultivate by spending years doing all the shit in the OP.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I was about to say, "hey, someone should do a really progressive medieval fantasy game"

then I remembered Dragon Age existed

Dragon Age is hilarious because it's progressive up until the point where it's not. Like Inquisition is literally about leading a paramilitary operating as a state and answerable to no one into regions and conflicts as an authoritarian force.

(I get your point and it's right, I just find Inquisition super amusing)

May 26, 2018
Dragon Age is hilarious because it's progressive up until the point where it's not. Like Inquisition is literally about leading a paramilitary operating as a state and answerable to no one into regions and conflicts as an authoritarian force.

(I get your point and it's right, I just find Inquisition super amusing)

haha, you're right too, of course

It has the "progressive to a point" problem of a lot of games with a message have, where ultimately you're the Super Special Entitled Player Person, so you're either a nice king or a mean king.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
haha, you're right too, of course

It has the "progressive to a point" problem of a lot of games with a message have, where ultimately you're the Super Special Entitled Player Person, so you're either a nice king or a mean king.

Pretty much. Most BioWare RPGs, like Inquisition (or I suppose RPGs in general), are the Daenerys Targaryen of video game stories. "What if I'm really nice and sensitive and caring and inclusive and I look out for marginalised people and fight for what is right but also I'm in a position of enormous privilege and power I did nothing to earn and won't give up and rule everyone with an absolute authoritarian militarised force but I do nice things so that's okay".

One of the caveats of video game storytelling I guess.

May 26, 2018
Pretty much. Most BioWare RPGs, like Inquisition (or I suppose RPGs in general), are the Daenerys Targaryen of video game stories. "What if I'm really nice and sensitive and caring and inclusive and I look out for marginalised people and fight for what is right but also I'm in a position of enormous privilege and power I did nothing to earn and won't give up and rule everyone with an absolute authoritarian militarised force but I do nice things so that's okay".

I'm of the opinion that it would be cool to have a story where if you be an asshole, or really selfish in any way, your allies who you thought were side characters in your story abandon you, take up the fight themselves, and win without you. If you try to inject yourself back into the fight you do it as a pariah, looking pathetic and claiming meaningless trophies for yourself. As you drown in your vanity, forgotten and alone, your ex-allies emerge as heroes and build the cool future you tried to deny them.

Eh ehm. Original idea pls do not steal.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm of the opinion that it would be cool to have a story where if you be an asshole, or really selfish in any way, your allies who you thought were side characters in your story abandon you, take up the fight themselves, and win without you. If you try to inject yourself back into the fight you do it as a pariah, looking pathetic and claiming meaningless trophies for yourself. As you drown in your vanity, forgotten and alone, your ex-allies emerge as heroes and build the cool future you tried to deny them.

Great idea. Stealing.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

But in Baldur's Gate, if you become too evil, the good party members will leave you. Think the same if your character is a paragon of justice and the evil characters leave the party. Shame they won't actually try to kill you later.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Ha. Funny I was actually thinking of a CRPG that could do something kind of like that. Like it'd take the traditional "You go bad" option and depending on your choices your party members will stick with you or abandon you, however no matter some characters will never side with you. Then there's a epilogue part you play where the party members you forsake do come back and fight you. The twist? You can't win. Even if you manage to beat them, someone else would come and defeat you and you play out that defeat.

Maybe that'd be dumb but I think it makes a pretty powerful statement.

Sorry, getting off topic haha...

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I honestly think the review thread would have been a stronger pick for a temporary block, since that's were all the outpouring of "hype!", "GOTY", and "DAY ONE" comments are going to ultimately pop up.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think the review thread would have been a stronger pick for a temporary block, since that's were all the outpouring of "hype!", "GOTY", and "DAY ONE" comments are going to ultimately pop up.
At the same time, there is at least the chance of some things along the lines of this that could be called out and criticized in reviews.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Honest question.

Is Keanu Reeves considered a transphobic for supporting and participating actively in the promotion of the game?

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Honest question.

Is Keanu Reeves considered a transphobic for supporting and participating actively in the promotion of the game?
I'm willing to believe it's just a paycheck for him and that he knows next to nothing about the game itself, much less the company. But as long as there's even the slightest chance he is aware of this behavior and lets it slide, I'm not about to completely give him a pass.

Sep 10, 2020

Honestly I'm really upset and mad that there are more feelings of outrage, shock, betrayal, and hurt over the game being delayed than the company being transphobic. It has been interesting seeing CDPR going from the gold standard to gamers to the point where people were willing to overlook transphobia and labor issues, to all of a sudden insulting CDPR because of a last minute delay.

My rights and my dignity are worth so much more than a videogame coming out on time. And I wish people acted like that. (These comments are directed largely at twitter, youtube, and reddit)
I'm a part of this problem. I've stalked this thread constantly since it went up, but only made a snarky comment about crunch on the other thread. I'm not sure why it felt easier to post there.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

So basically you're a benevolent dictator in most of these games?
Ha. Funny I was actually thinking of a CRPG that could do something kind of like that. Like it'd take the traditional "You go bad" option and depending on your choices your party members will stick with you or abandon you, however no matter some characters will never side with you. Then there's a epilogue part you play where the party members you forsake do come back and fight you. The twist? You can't win. Even if you manage to beat them, someone else would come and defeat you and you play out that defeat.

Maybe that'd be dumb but I think it makes a pretty powerful statement.

Sorry, getting off topic haha...
Haven't RPGs done lite, binary versions of this idea where they might have an evil path?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So basically you're a benevolent dictator in most of these games?

RPGs, Bioware's in particular, often revolve around you being a "chosen one" of sorts in a highly privileged and authoritative position. So yeah, more or less. Just comes with the territory of simple storytelling where the protagonist, ergo you, are the hero of a story where you're also framed as a leader.

Inquisition is just super special amusing to me because you're literally ruling over an authoritarian paramilitary. The game tries to acknowledge this a handful of times but never as well as it should given the implications. It mostly just embraces the concept, which is hilarious when framed alongside other facets of progression.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't RPGs done lite, binary versions of this idea where they might have an evil path?

Oh yeah. I was mainly getting the idea that going the evil path always results in an epilogue that would result in you losing to your former companions or someone else.

Not just some: "And you did the evil and everyone is screwed" sort of ending a lot of them do.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Locking the OT for one day is redundant if a review thread or other threads are allowed. Don't allow any threads for a whole day.