• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It seems like the only acceptable answer to you would be to ban the OT completely. Is that correct or am I off base?
Is it really that goddamn important to be able to talk about a game? Why are we allowing a consistently blatant transphobic company to get free advertising and attention here just so people can discuss a GAME.
I think the fact this is a gaming forum gives people a skewed view of how important games are. They are not important. Definitely not more important than the community getting ignored here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I ain't about to shit on any one Admin, as I don't think it's any one particular persons fault.

However the admins as a team need to pull their heads out of their asses, especially those that are Trans and understand that you are enabling Transphobes by allowing CyberPunk and Harry Potter discussions and Ot's.

There might be a few of us Trans Folk who do want to discuss it, but the simple fact is you are not protecting a large portion of us by throwing out bans and leaving little post it notes.

Huge threads that get tons of views and replies, that are always bumped do nothing but show us how unimportant we are, how damn worthless our lives and experience are to the majority because by engaging they are choosing it over our right and safety

No amount of *discussion* or calling attention to it will change this simple fact.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
I ain't about to shit on any one Admin, as I don't think it's any one particular persons fault.

However the admins as a team need to pull their heads out of their asses, especially those that are Trans and understand that you are enabling Transphobes by allowing CyberPunk and Harry Potter discussions and Ot's.

There might be a few of us Trans Folk who do want to discuss it, but the simple fact is you are not protecting a large portion of us by throwing out bans and leaving little post it notes.

Huge threads that get tons of views and replies, that are always bumped do nothing but show us how unimportant we are, how damn worthless our lives and experience are to the majority because by engaging they are choosing it over our right and safety

No amount of *discussion* or calling attention to it will change this simple fact.

This is 100% accurate. Bans are not protection. They punish and hopefully prevent further issues, but what is done cannot be undone. You cannot stop someone from being hurt after the fact. Proper protection is much more than that.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This is 100% accurate. Bans are not protection. They punish and hopefully prevent further issues, but what is done cannot be undone. You cannot stop someone from being hurt after the fact. Proper protection is much more than that.
Yea, it's a great way of putting it. Not even talking about the blatant 10 post trolls/alt accounts, but more the general idea of the fact that if the game does infact follow through with what's been shown so far about transphobic ideologies, it's just going to be a lasting thing.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With all due respect, how can you put forth any discussion without addressing the trans community as a whole? Why not do one of those threads that is exclusive members of a community, invite only. Make it private, public, whichever. You guys help run a COMMUNITY, I don't believe you can just handwave valid concerns like this.
Did we have one of these? I know there was an Asian Era meeting, but wasn't that following a Trans Era meeting, or was that a general LGBT one and I'm misremembering?

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In general the character creator doesn't annoy me. I generally prefer to play characters that align with my gender, not my trans status so i'd never want to have a masculine voice on a feminine body. But...
I just don't get what the end game is by leaning into this controversy. It's just diluting the whole hype.

I feel like they should have not even bothered with the character creator voice option, If they'd have kept it binary it'd been like all the other games under the sun. Again, just a baffling move that doesn't really help anyone.

CDPR really fucked up and it's kind of heart breaking.

and ofc my comment on character creator is just from my opinion, since i might lean on the older end of trans people on this website.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Discussions can be good, but anyone thinking the ot would be safe for trans people to address their issues is kidding themselves.

Which is why i started this with "we know the shit we are entering because we can see it from a mile away" when we enter threads like this. It is ignorance to think otherwise.

Still, anyone that wants to go there (cis and trans) will go there. And it is literally the mod's job to inforce the lack of transphobia in the forum

Which is why i think we should still have at least an OT for both this game and Cyberpunk

edit: most of the replies are implying that trans people are forced to enter these threads or that we are forced to read the replies in the htread.
This is stupid. We enter those threads and discuss because we want.
Also, most of the arguments in favor of no threads on these games imply that Resetera is a closed enviroment and not just one forum in the sea of gaming sites and social medias

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did we have one of these? I know there was an Asian Era meeting, but wasn't that following a Trans Era meeting, or was that a general LGBT one and I'm misremembering?
Which time -_-" I'm a cis-white guy and you'd be surprised how often this happens and how often stuff does get ignored.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is it really that goddamn important to be able to talk about a game? Why are we allowing a consistently blatant transphobic company to get free advertising and attention here just so people can discuss a GAME.
I think the fact this is a gaming forum gives people a skewed view of how important games are. They are not important. Definitely not more important than the community getting ignored here.

I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to clarify what the end all argument is here.

I personally lean towards banning discussion about the game. But that will open up a larger discussion. Obviously, they can't ban Cyberpunk discussion without banning Harry Potter discussion.

I think the issue is that it does in fact open up a new status quo that the staff would need to look at carefully.

Does Era then ban discussion of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs because of the sexual harassment issues at Ubisoft? That is a legitimate question that would need to be brought up if we move in that direction.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not buying this game.
I'm not going to ever recommend Witcher again as well.

I'm expecting this game will get its 90+ metacritic and there won't be any reviews mentioning any of the transphobic content.
I remember there was a trailer as well that had a bunch of racial stereotypes, I doubt any publication is going to say anything about that as well.

It's just tiring CDPR is a bad company.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't remember an LGBTQ+ one but I'm only aware of one for the black and asian communities. And the Asian Era OT hasn't seen a post since September 14th, to give you an idea of how that one went.

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Entering a sensitive thread solely to tone police, junior phase account.
It makes me angry too that there aren't more people speaking out about it, however I think it's very important to stay composed and not be aggressive against anyone not actively taking a stance, or still committing to buy the game.
If we are not rational about how we communicate, it only goes against getting the right message out there and makes it tougher to get more people to listen to what's really being said.

Oct 27, 2017
Kyuuji, this is an amazing thread.

Thank you for taking the time to compile all this trash.

I know some of the streamers I like won't touch this game with a 10-foot pole, because of CDPR's stances, but I'm really concerned to see how others handle this.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Has there been a video game that has in your opinion had a trans positive character that could be used as a contrast piece? Or is this a bar that has yet to be reached?
If Found... is amazing, it's short too at 2 hours.

www.resetera.com

If Found - Let the past die, erase it if you have to (trans Irish coming-of-age game)

Platforms: Steam | Apple Store | hopefully itch.io Release Date: 19th May 2020 "If Found... is an interactive visual novel about going home, coming out and erasing everything." - DREAMFEEL For some reason, I've been getting into visual novels. I'm also playing Milky Way Prince. Maybe it's just...

I haven't played Tell Me Why, so can't vouch for that.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to clarify what the end all argument is here.

I personally lean towards banning discussion about the game. But that will open up a larger discussion. Obviously, they can't ban Cyberpunk discussion without banning Harry Potter discussion.

I think the issue is that it does in fact open up a new status quo that the staff would need to look at carefully.

Does Era then ban discussion of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs because of the sexual harassment issues at Ubisoft? That is a legitimate question that would need to be brought up if we move in that direction.
I've answered this already and there is no point discussing this anymore as per the mod post so whatever, im done.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I feel like having this thread pinned at the top of gaming side could be a minimal thing done. That way every single person possible can at least see what is up with CDPR.

AliceAmber Is that at least an open option?

Last edited:

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I have so much to say about the state of gamer culture through the prism of ResetEra in general and where are we heading with this industry. It's regretful to see you felt it was necessary to include a preface to calm whoever would feel attacked by this text.

Thank you for this OP, great work.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
As someone buying the game,
I legitimately don't understand why they can't consult with actual trans people on how they should handle the topic in their game and marketing? I know not every dev that works their is transphobic but its clear something is up with their leadership and marketing teams that screams transphobia. Not to mention the baffling decision to make gender based on your voice in the game. Literally is the strangest choice in a game with a wide range of freedom

Nov 4, 2017
The thing that jumped out to me about "Chromanticore" is that one of the more common depictions of a manticore includes a scorpion stinger on the tail. So I thought it was trying to make a penis/stinger comparison.

It's just a multi-layered bit of transphobic bullshit, you just uncover more the longer you think about it.
Absolutely. It's like an onion of bigotry.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I cannot imagine how exhausting it must be as a Trans individual to consistently see threads fawning all over this game coming from such a gross company. It's so very, bery disappointing, I don't even wanna know why this thread is 15 pages when CDPR can no longer be given any sort of a pass, when it's like they're relishing fucking with Trans people at this point. Yet people here in this very thread are saying they'll be giving them their money

If I recall correctly there was a mod response somewhere saying once the new Harry Potter game comes out everything will be relegated to that OT and there won't just be the usual reaction,poll, HYPE, etc. threads all over the place? Can we have the same for this game? Kyuuji have you talked to the mods about that?

Last edited:

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
It makes me angry too that there aren't more people speaking out about it, however I think it's very important to stay composed and not be aggressive against anyone not actively taking a stance, or still committing to buy the game.
If we are not rational about how we communicate, it only goes against getting the right message out there and makes it tougher to get more people to listen to what's really being said.
While I understand your viewpoint, this just results in people saying or implying that you are one of the 'good ones' who have civil discussions about everything and how they just don't understand why those darn trans people are so angry about video games. I absolutely detest that.

I will do my best to convey my points as well I can to effect change, but if someone is angry, I say fucking let them be angry. I am livid by all of this. It makes me want to scream, but instead I have to bite my tongue. I have to play the eloquent speaker, the motivationalist.

I want to be me. I want to be the fury. The rage against the systems thrown against us. But I am not allowed that. Because the only way of getting through to people is through holding my words and diluting them to an acceptable level.

Oct 25, 2017
In addition, there were cans of the drink available – a drink that is supposed to facilitate being trans – labelled as poison.
I didn't know about this and just what the fuck. Thought they jumped the fucking shark with the absurd character creator but nope, this right here was all that anybody should need to know the true intentions at display. What the fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
good to see it all laid out like that in the opening post. thank you for an informative thread

what with the transphobia and crunch culture of cdpr, i'll most likely not get this game

Feb 1, 2018
There's already banned topics/people (JRE, colin moriarty, et al.) on this forum, so IMO adding CDPR games and JK Rowling content definitely aligns with the precedent and sends a message to the rest of the industry that transphobia won't be tolerated by a large online community

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
good to see it all laid out like that in the opening post. thank you for an informative thread

what with the transphobia and crunch culture of cdpr, i'll most likely not get this game
Same, I was hyped for the game since that first teaser trailer, but it's clear that they are treating their devs like shit and they really don't get the genre as (in my opinion) it should be handled as more than a delivery vehicle for "cool guns and cars".

This is really shitty behaviour...

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I mean I feel like having this thread pinned at the top of gaming side could be a minimal thing done. That way every single person possible can at least see what is up with CDPR.

AliceAmber Is that at least an open option?

Past experience tells us that pinned threads often get less attention, not more, but we are going to include a link to this thread in all future Cyberpunk thread reply banners which should maximize its visibility. Thank you for your suggestion!

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (permanent): trolling, attacking the community, prior infractions for dismissing sexism and homophobia
You guys have done it. Congratulations. You are basically the Church during the Crusades, burning at the stake every single person that don't agree with you and hunting down people that choose to not get involved in the topic.

And the funny thing is that all your hate is even targeting the mods and admins now! Hahaha. Guess they are getting a taste of the completely lunatic community they built over time. Posters are now actually asking to ban people that just want to enjoy the game and don't focus on, you know, cyberpunk stuff, like modding a body.

Can't wait to play the game this november. Also guys don't forget to turn your discord overlay off and set steam to invisible so you can play the game and continue posting here :)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys have done it. Congratulations. You are basically the Church during the Crusades, burning at the stake every single person that don't agree with you and hunting down people that choose to not get involved in the topic.

And the funny thing is that all your hate is even targeting the mods and admins now! Hahaha. Guess they are getting a taste of the completely lunatic community they built over time. Posters are now actually asking to ban people that just want to enjoy the game and don't focus on, you know, cyberpunk stuff, like modding a body.

Can't wait to play the game this november. Also guys don't forget to turn your discord overlay off and set steam to invisible so you can play the game and continue posting here :)
Go fuck yourself.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Go troll somewhere else.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

Cool.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020

Show me the receipts on people wanting to ban others for enjoying the game, you fuck. Get out of here.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017

Get fucked transphobe

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

It takes less effort to just say nothing than to do this. I don't understand.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Past experience tells us that pinned threads often get less attention, not more, but we are going to include a link to this thread in all future Cyberpunk thread reply banners which should maximize its visibility. Thank you for your suggestion!
I hope it's still okay to give this suggestion in this thread, but as the admin/mod team will still discuss the best way to move forward, how about getting in touch with the trans community to make that decision? I'm aware there are trans members in the team, but it also feels like the more people from the community participating in this, the better.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No need for Metacommentary when we have this post, it shows how Trans issues are now tied to CDPR, their Transphobia and how it will never be something you can separate or fix.

Fuck this team, this game and anyone who buys the damn thing.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much to add, but I just wanted to say that the OP is extremely well put together. Great job, and I hope we see more progress, sensitivity, and understanding going forward.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't have anything of value to add to this thread, so I'll just thank Kyuuji for posting it to further cement my stance of not buying this game or any future products released by CD Projekt Red. I can only call myself an ally if I act on it, and I have to thank Kyuuji and so many other trangender Era members for educating me on the many things that I used to see as normal and harmless when they were anything but. It doesn't amount to much, but I'll always fight by your side.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Compare the Nightwire thread vs the Harry Potter threads. You can see people only care when it's something they're not interested in.

it's not really comparable, with Harry Potter the creator herself is very public with her opinions and advocating for that "cause", but that doesn't mean the game itself would reflect it since I don't think she is involved with it, but at the end of the day it's her IP, she is making money and gaining visibility from it for sure, so it's understandable.

with this game we have a decent amount of evidence that some people in there are probably trans phobic or very out of touch/insensitive/ignorant, but I don't think there is anything on the same level what she is doing,

but I also understand that people are right to point out the problem, and CDPR could do a lot better than this, still, until we have the final game I'll reserve judgment on that side of things at least,

Feb 24, 2018
Just finished reading, amazing post op, great sum up about the transphobia surrounding the game. I remember last year's E3 and how tons of people were dumping on trans people because we called out that in-game ad.

It frustrates me this game will make a killing and the main gaming press will ignore all of this, nothing will change. Something needs to change, not just with this game or the Harry Potter or gaming in general but everything. Us trans people are people, we will not be erased and shut down.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
No need for Metacommentary when we have this post, it shows how Trans issues are now tied to CDPR, their Transphobia and how it will never be something you can separate or fix.

Fuck this team, this game and anyone who buys the damn thing.
At this point, given how many threads we've had on this subject, I feel like people who buy this game genuinely don't care. They see the transphobia, they see the violence, and they think, "wow, this doesn't affect me at all! Here's my sixty dollars, CDPR!"

I genuinely don't know what else to say at this point.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I hope it's still okay to give this suggestion in this thread, but as the admin/mod team will still discuss the best way to move forward, how about getting in touch with the trans community to make that decision? I'm aware there are trans members in the team, but it also feels like the more people from the community participating in this, the better.

We always welcome input from the community! We have these conversations in private and public all the time, and we'll keep having them. Anyone is always welcome to contact us with suggestions or concerns.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
We always welcome input from the community! We have these conversations in private and public all the time, and we'll keep having them. Anyone is always welcome to contact us with suggestions or concerns.

along these Lines, found the post I was thinking of:

Yeah it was discussed. While we don't think Hogwarts Legacy can be completely kept in Hangouts, we definitely agree with limiting the number of threads about the game.

News needs to be covered, but it's going to be only news threads, things like trailers and significant articles. Every thread will have reply banners setting out strict rules and including resources to inform people. Normally for an AAA game we would see tons of speculation threads, polls, stuff like that, and that's not going to be the case here.

There will eventually be an OT and any thread that exists outside of that will need to cover something significant. There won't be any threads for empty praise. If you see a thread on the game that's not newsworthy, please report it.

Surely the bolded should now be applied to Cyberpunk just like Hogwarts Legacy , I can't imagine why it wouldn't be

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, given how many threads we've had on this subject, I feel like people who buy this game genuinely don't care. They see the transphobia, they see the violence, and they think, "wow, this doesn't affect me at all! Here's my sixty dollars, CDPR!"

I genuinely don't know what else to say at this point.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in another thread; I'm transgender and have had the game pre-ordered for so long that it no longer 'feels' like a cost. In no way do I expect anyone else from our community to want to buy or play it, but I'm also not going to be satisfied unless I see what's actually there and presented in the game itself.

It's not like we can rely on the big news sites to bother, so my plan was to report back in the OT/Twitter etc. on what content made it in, positive or negative.

I'll be making at least an equal donation of the amount I pre-ordered to Mermaids with next month's pay.