• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
thank you for this write up, op

enough is enough. I especially like what you say about allies. If you're complacent on this, you're complicit in it

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be prefacing the OT for CP2077, because otherwise CDPR supporting bigots will just avoid threads like these. To be honest there is no good reason why a horrible company such as this should even be provided a platform here, I would be perfectly fine with no OT ever showing up.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I tried giving CDPR the benefit of the doubt here, for instance one of my thoughts was "Well they fired the guy who ran the account", but this is such a well presented take down that it dissected every possible excuse i could make for them with surgical precision.

It's just an insane break down of everything they've done since the reveal of the game with a detailed explanation of why it's problematic at best, and mean spirited at worst and presented in a way that even people like me who aren't familiar with some of these issues can easily understand.

This is one of the best message board OPs i've ever seen, well done OP.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I hope this somehow getting picked up by media (I doubt it)... but then it will probably be handled poorly.
It won't. These outlets love their swag, and I doubt the journos that love patting themselves in the back will get near it. They know their audience.
This needs to be prefacing the OT for CP2077, because otherwise CDPR supporting bigots will just avoid threads like these. To be honest there is no good reason why a horrible company such as this should even be provided a platform here, I would be perfectly fine with no OT ever showing up.
This a million times.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
did they ever said anything since then about the voice pitch thing? This was so freaking stutpid, is it's still in? I know they modified a lot of thing even in the last stages of dev

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
Has there been a video game that has in your opinion had a trans positive character that could be used as a contrast piece? Or is this a bar that has yet to be reached?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Great work OP. This thread needs to be a apart of the OT, so everyone engaging with the game can be aware of all the issues. Same with the crunch.
The usual OPs of those Cyberpunk hype threads never acknowledged those issues and just ignore every message that talks about it whenever it comes up in their threads. Even more apparent with one particular user, who makes most of the Cyberpunk thread, who tend to quote close to everyone posting in their threads, minus the people talking about the issues.
It's apparent what are those people opinions on those issues, they don't care and don't want people to talk about it because it would deflate the hype...

So yeah. I agree. It needs to be easily readable in the OT of the game. So tired of those hype threads that never want to acknowledge those issues and try to portray the people who keep bringing those issues as some annoying thread deraillers... They're that close to call us SJW, I swear...

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
earlier today there was something like 4 separate hype threads on the front page. any posts in them that made mention of transphobia was either ignored or jumped on because "we don't need negativity in every thread about the game". that's all the transphobia is to people on here. negativity that's harshing their hype.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
User banned (2 months): Hostility, mod-whining and derailing over multiple posts and across multiple threads. History of trolling, mod-whining and disruptive behaviour.
The administration here would never do that. They're weak. They won't back down. You'll just get a notice at the bottom of the OT at best.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to set some time aside to read the OP later. Just wanted to say thanks for putting the effort in, these things are important.

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns around transphobia over multiple posts. Threadbanned (permanent).
Simply, it's not, because I had a chance to meet the company and their culture and also met many LGBTQ devs and people from the company itself.

People are just nitpicking to have a reason to hate.

Also, I am not saying that they are doing good job on social media regarding everything

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Simply, it's not, because I had a chance to meet the company and their culture and also met many LGBTQ devs and people from the company itself.

Also, I am not saying that they are doing good job on social media regarding everything

oh my goddddd shut up

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just observe how easy it is for most game companies to avoid making even one transphobic "mistake" and then observe how somehow CDPR managed to walk into all of these. There's no excuse.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
LGBTQIA+ folks deserve better. CDPR should not be given a pass "because Poland", or "well they have good characters who defy expectations".

I expect better from a developer as revered as CDPR, it's high-time anyone that considers themselves an ally would follow-suit with.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
Any way I can delete my GOG account? Not only I won't give this shite company any of my money in the future, I want my personal data gone from their servers.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A company that is not transphobic does not behave in a way outlined by the OP.

There is no discussion to be had, that's just fact.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
This is a great idea that will undoubtedly get ignored by the powers that be.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Great OP, very informative. Since I wasn't that interested in the game to begin with, half of the shit listed didn't reach me. Needless to say, whatever amount of interest I still had in this and other CDPR products is just gone now.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
absolutely wonderful job writing such a clear and comprehensive post nailing all the issues. i truly hope the message gets to more people and they become more critical of their behavior. this is about as diplomatic as the message can get without sacrificing any of the hard-hitting truths.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Oh we will just take your word for it then.

Nitpicking really? How the hell can you read that OP and come to that conclusion.
I'm going to assume you didn't read it and are just being an asshole troll. Enjoy your ban

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Bye!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Or maybe JK Rowling =/= CDPR. I view JKR comments more offensively is what I mean, not defending CDPR.
Honestly, I think JKR is not as bad as the shit CDPR is doing. (I want to clarify, that I don't think what JKR is doing is "not bad")

JKR is so out there it's laughable from the sidelines, like she's a joke, an example of real life flanderization in making the only aspect of their personality be that they're a TERF.

CDPR slides transphobic messaging in media into their socials and game. it's subtle, it's not in your face transphobia unless you know what to look for... So it slowly normalizes it. And that's fucking evil.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Thanks OP.
Having it all compiled like this, it really helps to see the whole picture.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think JKR is not as bad as the shit CDPR is doing.

JKR is so out there it's laughable from the sidelines, like she's a joke, an example of real life flanderization in making the only aspect of their personality be that they're a TERF.

CDPR slides transphobic messaging in media into their socials and game. it's subtle, it's not in your face transphobia unless you know what to look for... So it slowly normalizes it. And that's fucking evil.

JKR is being quoted by politicians to prop up transphobic bills

IceburN

Mar 4, 2018
I would like your opinion in this, since it has been a discussion among my friends as well: would you consider what CDPR is doing in their games as "trans fetishization" instead of "trans representation"? As in, they have a fixed idea of what trans people are, and base off their designs/choices from that idea alone and thus, miss a lot of intricate details? I was on the hype train for Cyberpunk as well, until one of my LGBT friends mentioned some of the same points as you did in your post.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Great thread, Kyuuji. It's genuinely impressive how much of a joke a Cyberpunk game is becoming between shit like this, the crunch stories, their endless cross-promotions and marketing, the hordes of journalists ready to go do free PR for them...

But hey, they sold a rainbow shirt on their site. That surely excuses all of this.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK

So you read the OP and your conclusion is that we are nitpicking?

Just fuck off, seriously.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's long passed time we cease allowing PR tier OPs for games where there is a concerted effort to not mention these kinds of issues surrounding the games.

It shouldn't be trolling to be vocal about this in an OT, it shouldn't be derailing or off topic to not drop it when summarily dismissed in an OT. Trans people shouldn't feel like a burden to a community because they aren't silent and might, shock, horror, dull the hype for a new tripple ayyyyyye game with their perspective.

If we treat game companies like they are more important than our trans members then how can we expect any other org with money on the line to behave any different?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna hard disagree on this one. JK Rowling's voice/platform is bigger than this game could ever hope for.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Please do not minimise what JKR is doing, she's actively supporting and funding the fight against trans rights in the UK and making real trans people's life's a lot harder

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
This is just absurd. I admit haven't read the whole OP but I literally had and have contact with CDPR team and as I said, met them in the era of The Witcher 3, and also talked about the culture and many other things.

The way they are representing themselves is somehow problematic I admit that, but it is even strange to me because I know, certainly know and met trans people from the company who are enjoying being there.

So it's a bit contradictory but I, as I said, have no clue why they are doing what they are doing and not handling the issue seriously.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I would like your opinion in this, since it has been a discussion among my friends as well: would you consider what CDPR is doing in their games as "trans fetishization" instead of "trans representation"? As in, they have a fixed idea of what trans people are, and base off their designs/choices from that idea alone and thus, miss a lot of intricate details? I was on the hype train for Cyberpunk as well, until one of my LGBT friends mentioned some of the same points as you did in your post.
Kyuuji has actually made a couple of posts about this in the other thread about that cosplay competition if you are interested, there's a lot of good posts in there about it

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
User banned (permanent): Blatant misrepresentation, inflammatory accusation, extensive history of hostility, personal attacks, and thread derailment
Thanks for making this thread, Kyuuji.

Meh. Say whatever you want. They make a game I like, I buy it. Don't care about other stuff.

This is essentially the same sentiment I saw an administrator of this very site express in the 3D Realms/Realms Deep thread, I find it kind of funny that in this particular case it triggered a perma-ban and was framed as trolling.

Last edited: