• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Curious why they chose to deal with this publicly instead of keeping it internal.

Notification to the public that their internal systems were accessed and a big FU to the leak saying "We don't negotiate with you chaps".
There has been a decrease in organizations paying ransom's for these sort of things and there is no guarantee that the information will be NOT be made available to public after paying the ransom, so its a good thing to address it publicly and not avail to ransom demands.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Curious why they chose to deal with this publicly instead of keeping it internal.

AFAIK, companies operating within the EU and under GDPR are legally obligated to disclose cyber security attacks within 48 hours of the attack. The situation has to be disclosed to all parties.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I get sharing the situation, but I'm still trying to figure out the rationale behind sharing that note publically.

Why not share the demands but maintain the illusion that it could be well funded corporate espionage.

A stated goal is to damage CDPR's public image - doesn't being the victim of an unsophisticated ransom do just that?

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK, companies operating within the EU and under GDPR are legally obligated to disclose cyber security attacks within 48 hours of the attack. The situation has to be disclosed to all parties.
Ah right GDPR. Forgot about that. Makes sense.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
So basically a bunch of 'children' hacked Project Red, this is really the dark side of this whole 'Gaymerz' culture, self-entitled brats who can unfortunately code/hack who got fed up with a less than stellar release taking it out on everybody in the company.

I fucking hate this industry.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I get sharing the situation, but I'm still trying to figure out the rationale behind sharing that note publically.

Why not share the demands but maintain the illusion that it could be well funded corporate espionage.

A stated goal is to damage CDPR's public image - doesn't being the victim of an unsophisticated ransom do just that?

it´s not like this is the first time for CDPR.. this is back in 2017.. (before the GDPR rules as far as I know)..

i0g1wuc.jpg

it looks like they like to share stuff like this..

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
They're really going to have to start coming down hard on these people. I can't say in this case it was dumb to have their highly sensitive data on the net in the first place because there's a very good chance that they're working from home in some capacity.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Would professional hackers (assuming they are ones) really say "EPICALLY pwnd"?
Are those just lucky idiots who managed to get into servers?
I have seen a lot of posts talking about this.

Likely you guys aren't aware or seen lots of ransom ware notes, but that lingo and typing in ascii is very "hacker speak " the cringe part was when it got adopted by mainstream that beat it into the ground. In mid nineties hacker speak included replacing letters with numbers.

it's akin to calling a French person cringe because they said "cest la vie" because non speaking French people overused that sentence.

Not defending it, just letting you guys know, it's hacker aesthetic.

also - at the guy who said "used notepad to write the note", they just created a text file, you can use whatever you want to open it...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Have to blame Microsoft for that too, for not making showing file extensions by default on their OS.
You'd have to go and disable "Hide extensions for known file types" on every new OS installations/system.

A person would generally just read the file as real_invoice.pdf after downloading it, not aware that there is an .exe extension for the actual file.
A big problem here is also using an account with root level rights as your daily driver. Instead, your normal login should have limited rights, and if you want to install something or need admin rights, you should need to provide additional credentials in a prompt. UAC is a joke if it just requires you to press OK. How is that supposed to stop a real attacker?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Question. Why do people mention bank account numbers when discussing identity theft? What can you do with those nowadays except for sending money there?
I imagine "can you give me the last X digits of your bank account to verify" is still a common enough question at support desks.

Identify theft is not always just a dump of information, but also a lot of engineering to get information about point X from point Y.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats messed up - its really open season on these big devs/publishers when it comes to these kind of attacks.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I read somewhere some employees got death threads of "gamers" because of the state of cyberpunk. And now potentially their personal info will get leaked. That's terrifying.

Well, thankfully gamer's attention spans are really short. Hopefully anyone who was mad enough to send one has moved on to the next brouhaha.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen l33t speak in a while. Also dumping identifying and private information about employees is fucked up.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Cyber-ransom criminals should get hard time. Their actions can be extremely damaging. 10 years in prison is something I'm absolutely fine with.

It is widely known in IT circles that cybersecurity (almost) everywhere is woefully insufficient. Most businesses are currently relying on the herd model to mitigate risk, where lions will come and you just hope they'll eat someone else, so it is imperative to discourage criminals by other means.

Unfortunately, the international nature of these crimes makes it difficult. I have personally lost thousands of dollars to hackers who stole my crypto from 2 different exchanges. It's a jungle out there. A very scary jungle.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Something like this with the ransom already happened once to CD Projekt RED and back then they said F**k you to the hackers.

Those responsible for the current attack are probably too young to remember that.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
As someone who has had detaailed personal data leaked in the past in a ransomware attack - there is nothing to celebrate here. This isn't a Robin Hood taking the rich down a peg to give to the needy situation, this is an individual (or group of) opportunistic hacker(s) holding innocent peoples personal data hostage to line their pockets - no matter how shite of a company CDPR are, the only ones this is going to potentially do significant damage to are the employees. CDPR as a corporate entity will recover from basically any stock hit that will come out of this, and as much as source code leaks suck - at least that's not endangering peoples livelihood (at least as far corporate source code leaks go) like a lot of the data in the Admin/Legal and HR dumps can.

Thanks for this by the way - as someone currently doing their cybersecurity degree and studying the effects that cybercrime and leaks can have on individuals - that previous thread made me viscerally uncomfortable.

Its baffling that just because you hate a company for whatever reason you love these kind of things to happen to them.

A company is more than their management.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Why would CDPR share a ransom note. That doesn't make sense to me

PR maybe? For whatever reason they may think presenting the note paints a certain picture of the situation to the public that benefits them.

I know my company was hit in October, because of user error and enabled by WFH security flaws and we most definitely didn't share the demands publicly. We did announce the attack the next day. Even without GDPR (we're US based) we still had an obligation to inform stock holders and tell our clients why all our systems were down.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Assuming that the documents are released, I'm curious what the ethics are for a journalist reporting on the contents of those stolen documents? It seems like a very grey area.

Obviously reporting personal information is just wrong, as would just literally publishing a dump of the source code, but what about less black and white stuff?

I could imagine a Jason Schreier style deep dive into the financials of CDPR being very interesting, but just because it's interesting should it be published?

But then if the documents revealed that CDPR had covered up some illegal working practices I think publishing that would be in the public interest.

Oct 28, 2017
A big problem here is also using an account with root level rights as your daily driver. Instead, your normal login should have limited rights, and if you want to install something or need admin rights, you should need to provide additional credentials in a prompt. UAC is a joke if it just requires you to press OK. How is that supposed to stop a real attacker?

That's based on organization/group policies, during pandemic I'd expect the IT to be generally overwhelmed and the office admin would have been buried under loads of hardware requisitions request.
I won't be surprised if team managers are themselves taking it upon themselves replacing IT upto an extent as a big company would have had insane amount of requests.

Over that, not every organization would have an extremely robust system for this. A simple thing as not having permission to installation/update applications for WFH PC/Laptops will cause problems for individual teams. Usually inventory would be nuked with all domain logins not having any installation permissions (which would have been the case as these systems were deployed to WFH), queuing in requests for specific application to be deployed over VPN network has lot of dependencies (like WFH person should have good internet service, the system being in a VPN will usually causes load on either you local team's office's internet infrastructure + HQ or just the HQ internet infrastructure, time window for IT admin to query individual installation requests, time zone difference for small studios, etc etc).

Want to install/update SDK for the team, (worse case) how about waiting for a day where there is no productivity.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Why would CDPR share a ransom note. That doesn't make sense to me

What are they losing by doing so? A lot of companies show the ransom note, likely to either provide transparency to the situation they are in or to help garner any help by identifying the team behind the ransom note.

Feb 24, 2018
Sucks for the devs, it's management's fault the game was bad, not them and I doubt their hackers give a damn about that. A lot of people are going to get crapped on because of this.

Something mentioned in the note is that they'll leak their info to the game journalist contacts, isn't that going to be a VERY bad look for game journalist who accepts and posts/report that, not to mention make it easier to find out who the hackers were via their accomplices in game's media?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Assuming that the documents are released, I'm curious what the ethics are for a journalist reporting on the contents of those stolen documents? It seems like a very grey area.

Obviously reporting personal information is just wrong, as would just literally publishing a dump of the source code, but what about less black and white stuff?

I could imagine a Jason Schreier style deep dive into the financials of CDPR being very interesting, but just because it's interesting should it be published?

But then if the documents revealed that CDPR had covered up some illegal working practices I think publishing that would be in the public interest.

I'm pretty sure almost every major outlet reported on info that was in the Nintendo Gigaleak. So while I agree they wouldn't report on personal info, as soon as the other data is circulating among the public it's fair game.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
It's not cool at all... but i saw a lot that will enjoy what happen behind the companies during development and want them to sink.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
it´s not like this is the first time for CDPR.. this is back in 2017.. (before the GDPR rules as far as I know)..

i0g1wuc.jpg

it looks like they like to share stuff like this..

I had to double check that I wasn't reading the same statement.

Hopefully they were just caught out by a more sophisticated hacking effort. Based on this experience their security should've been top notch.

Last edited:

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
what does "an unidentified actor gained unauthorized access to our internal network" mean?...'actor' meaning someone who worked on one of their games?...voice actor, motion capture?...or is that just a phrase meaning they don't know who it is?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought:

omg someone else uses perforce?

what does "an unidentified actor gained unauthorized access to our internal network" mean?...'actor' meaning someone who worked on one of their games?...voice actor, motion capture?...or is that just a phrase meaning they don't know who it is?

nah, just a generic synonym for a perpetrator

"An unknown actor breached ..." "A government actor suspected to be connected to intelligence was able to hack..."

Alfman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reactions on social media especially considerable. Many comments on how people don't believe CDPR and this is a PR stunt. Damage was done with the release of CP2077 and is going even further with this hack.

Hikariixx

One Winged Slayer
Nov 19, 2020
Situations like this really show how some people can lose touch with their humanity when information is presented digitally. It makes me sad to see people applaud this incident without thinking about the real lives that this will effect. What's really jarring is that it seems people only respond this way when a data leak occurs in the gaming industry.