• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Hope we get Ciri as the next Witcher.

Let Geralt be an NPC occasionally.

I wouldn't expect anything before 2025. Still, exciting news nonetheless!

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like a game were you could create your own character would really be detrimental to their way of storytelling, so I really hope they don't do that.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I wouldn't be surprised if it's a game about Ciri. It may take a while, though. CDP Red is also working on expansions for Cyberpunk and multiplayer, which apparently is considered as a big project.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I can't even begin to imagine what kind of leap CDPR will make with another Witcher game.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its not Ciri tbh. Rather they create a new protagonist and also go the route of keeping the good Blood and WIne ending of Geralt retirement intact.

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
I love love The Witcher franchise, and Witcher 3 is one of my most played games ever, so that they are making a new game is amazing!
But having spent probably thousands of hours with Geralt of Rivia over the years, I just cant stand the idea of playing someone else in this universe.
If they replace Geralt it would be similar to when Kojima replaced David Hayter as snake with Kiefer Sutherland.
It ruined MGS 5 for me, so please keep Geralt as the main protagonist!

I dont think any other gaming picture can bring up so many emotions in me as this one from the dlc blood and wine (you know the feeling if you got there).
I want to keep journeying with my bro Geralt there are so may more places to explore and monsters to kill.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Another Witcher universe game sounds excellent. Let them take their time. It will be well into next gen by the time it's ready.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Set it in the past to get away from the books, 500 years after the conjunction of the spheres when there were tons of monsters and tons of witchers, fully open world, let us choose our own witcher school. Tell a story that's not connected to the elder blood or anything like that, just go full political intrigue. Please and thank you.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I would like it create a character game in the
past right after the conjunction of spheres when witchers were more prevalent. Let you pick which witcher school you want to be apart of.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Set it in the past to get away from the books, 500 years after the conjunction of the spheres when there were tons of monsters and tons of witchers, fully open world, let us choose our own witcher school. Tell a story that's not connected to the elder blood or anything like that, just go full political intrigue. Please and thank you.

Guess I should have looked at your post before posting haha.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
The Witcher 3 is on my Top 5 all-time. Yet, this is really disappointing. Such talented people should not be slaves to franchise money. Let them explore new ideas.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously I can't wait but if work begins this year I don't expect to be playing it until somewhere near the end of next gen

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Guess I should have looked at your post before posting haha.

Yeah, I (and lot's of others of course) have been saying this forever.

I love Ciri. Loved her in the books, in the games, in the TV show, but outside of a(nother) major nerf she's not viable as a player character and in my opinion they should leave the books behind completely outside of the world building.

It worked for Thronebreaker, so why not for another main game, and it would seriously shake up the world state we had for 3 games now, which even going back to Vesemir's early days wouldn't do.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
God... Can ERA take another years long cycle of whining and crying over how another game with swords didn't copypasta Soulsbornecombat? Some most obnoxious shit in TW3 threads on top of all insane hyperbole those threads get.

no i can't, and you assumed a LOT of things on my post hahaha i said absolutely nothing that you claim. i did not even want CDPR to "copypasta" like you say, i just want heavyness and inspirations.

i like Witcher 3's combat but i don't deny it's underwhelming and it's the major area in the franchise that need improvement, even more so after western games with amazing combat, God of War, Ni-Oh2 and etc...

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love love The Witcher franchise, and Witcher 3 is one of my most played games ever, so that they are making a new game is amazing!
But having spent probably thousands of hours with Geralt of Rivia over the years, I just cant stand the idea of playing someone else in this universe.
If they replace Geralt it would be similar to when Kojima replaced David Hayter as snake with Kiefer Sutherland.
It ruined MGS 5 for me, so please keep Geralt as the main protagonist!

I dont think any other gaming picture can bring up so many emotions in me as this one from the dlc blood and wine (you know the feeling if you got there).
I want to keep journeying with my bro Geralt there are so may more places to explore and monsters to kill.
maxresdefault.jpg

I can absolutely 100% understand your feelings. I really love to play another big game with Geralt of Rivia but also i look forward to see what CDPR can/will do next.

People were really down on Arthur Morgan (Main Charater from Red Dead Redemption 2) when he was first intruduced. They couldn't stand this nobody and wanted more of John Marston (Main Charater from Red Dead Redemption) but after playing the game most sing Arthurs praise.

Geralt is awesome and beloved but potentially the next one can be even better.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Good. I really hope it's not Ciri (and obviously they won't drag Geralt back from retirement), but either way, that world still has a lot of stories left in it.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
After CP, they will have two of the most strongest IPs to fall back to for sequels.
lets wait and see how Cyberpunk + Witcher 4 turn out first...

i get what you're saying and i hope Cyberpunk really blows our minds but the games not out yet. they said they don't have anything planned outside Cyberpunk/Witcher but when they eventually do a new IP of their own not based on existing work then yeah i can imagine the hype for "Cyberpunk 2149" or "Witcher 5" if 2077 + W4 are amazing and it has been a long time since an entry.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I don't think Ciri would work, we would need an actual Witcher, as in, she or he needs to take the potions and use the signs and oils and take monster contracts. Ciri outside of a few sparse chapters would make for a totally different kind of game, she's too powerful.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The smallest team though, isn't that a bit odd? Also I read that it will be in development for 4 years. Thinking about that is just a bit depressing, especially in how much older I'll be by then, lol.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Does the original aource actually mention it being the Witcher? Seems to be an assumption
It doesn't. It says they want to keep creating games set in the world of the Witcher and that all of their planned future games for the time being are "either witchery or cyberpunky".
The closest the cited source comes to confirming a new Witcher project is a quote stating that they're now "cooperating" with Sapkowski.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
The smallest team though, isn't that a bit odd? Also I read that it will be in development for 4 years. Thinking about that is just a bit depressing, especially in how much older I'll be by then, lol.

4-5 years seems to be pretty normal dev cycle for CDPR also team most likely grows as project does, especially as CP77(MP) dev cycle winds down.

Oct 26, 2017

That's how game development works nowadays.

Making an open world RPG title requires time and 4-5 years is the average nowadays.

And there's is nothing odd, Cyberpunk has the potential to be bigger than The Witcher 3, supporting the game with expansions and a MP standalone title will generate way more revenue than TW3 continued sales in the last 5 years.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I would be open to a deep prequel from the time where monsters were more present and Witcher schools were in full swing.

Character creator, BUT also a somewhat fixed personality [not mute idiot] and choosing your own school would be sweet.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
It doesn't. It says they want to keep creating games set in the world of the Witcher and that all of their planned future games for the time being are "either witchery or cyberpunky".
The closest the cited source comes to confirming a new Witcher project is a quote stating that they're now "cooperating" with Sapkowski.

"Zaraz po zakończeniu prac nad Cyberpunk 2077 prace nad kolejnym tytułem ruszą z kopyta - dodaje. Nowy projekt osadzony jest w uniwersum wiedźmińskim, co jest zgodne z wcześniejszymi zapewnieniami CD Projektu"

Above quote directly states that new project is set in Witcher universe...