• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
As a dev myself, I often have conflicted feelings about crunch but I realize that it's also something that's been ingrained in me. Looking back at past experiences I remember a time where my dad was sick in the hospital and I couldn't even be there for him because I was working. The older I get the more I resent this culture. I'm glad Jason is speaking out against it and I hope it brings about change for these people because that's all I could hope for.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
In Reddit posts they say they aren't one of CDPR devs who have talked with Jason.

I guess Jason talked to his source(s) to check on if what was posted on Reddit was in line with what his source(s) know. That then checked out so Jason vouched for Reddit poster by doing that tweet.

At least it's read I got.
The posts are a few days old. Schreier's tweet is from today where he explicitly mentions speaking with the dev in question over the phone.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I will say that one of the things Jason messed a bit up with was he's original interview with the whole "trying to reduce crunch" and "no obligatory crunch" quotes , largely cus I've seen that article used again and again as defence for CDPR, CDPR were clearly using Jason for PR and even at the time I saw a lot of devs call it on Twitter as a meaningless statement and that this comment shows now that even then CDPR had devs in bad crunch so the statement was false at that stage. Just don't think the original interview was a good idea as I have seen a lot of people use it as defence of CDPR for that time, especially on this forum. I'm assuming that if Jason could go back he maybe change it a bit for that exact purpose.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
The issue is that even if developers stand up and quit, there will be a never ending line of candidates for their position. The industry is at a point where there's more supply than demand, and this is played up to stop any union talk or the mere idea of improving work quality. It's a bit unique in the game industry, because I am pretty sure most software companies would be under scrutiny if they were to pull this, but since games appeal to a more artistic side of things, there are many folks willing to put up with these things to work in their dream industry.

You're the first person I've heard claim there's more supply than demand for programmers. Do you work in the industry?

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
85 hours a week is 12h/7 days a week or 14h/6 days.

No matter what work do you do and bonuses you get, this is absurd and absolutely unnecessary, especially for a video game lmao. What a bunch of morons CDPR management are.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No, my argument is that if one is going to boycott this game, they should boycott other brands too, and I'm pretty sure most people willing to boycott this game do not boycott other brands. If you do, like someone has said in the previous page, then that's actually great.

Your argument is about consistency in the face of the exploitation of labor. You think every situation is the same and that if you can't be consistent about all of them, it's meaningless. It's not. It's a fucking video game. Stop tying yourself in knots to justify it to yourself.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
They weren't though. They came in with a blanket statement about the thread and those not buying the game due to crunch, only invoking children in the Congo as a means to deflect from the issue in focus.
Yeah, I just went back the last few pages to read more of their posts, and you're right. I was mistaken.

The rest of my post still stands though. I don't think it's fair to judge the morality of someone based on whether they boycott it or not. You can consume a product while still recognizing and criticizing it's creation/creators. I don't think buying Cyberpunk inherently makes you a crunch apologist. I don't think buying Harry Potter makes you a transphobe. And I don't think buying an iPhone makes you an advocate for slave labor.

Again, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, and people can't boycott everything. I do think it's hypocritical to judge others for not participating in the exact same boycotts as you. At the same time, using that as an excuse to criticize people who do choose to boycott certain things is really shitty too, and that seems to be what that user was doing now they I took a closer look.

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
i'm sad because of this. no one should work that long, no matter what. and in healthcare this is downright negligent of the state/country, since these condition can actually hamper judgement calls and can lead to loss of human lives. in an idealistic world, healthcare should be one of the most funded areas, with enough working people to spread the load

Actually this is better for healthcare as turnover of workers is a leading cause of errors and mishandling of patients. IT sucks, but most healthcare workers know this before getting into the field and are shown the issues as they learn. Also, the shifts are drastically different following a usual 4 day work week. OT is often frowned upon as well. While software development is different and crunch/normalizing OT is not ok for any professions, this is not a comparable example.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
In Reddit posts they say they aren't one of CDPR devs who have talked with Jason.

I guess Jason talked to his source(s) to check on if what was posted on Reddit was in line with what his source(s) know. That then checked out so Jason vouched for Reddit poster by doing that tweet.

At least it's read I got.
I understand that they weren't originally in contact with Jason for the article, but after those reddit posts Jason got into contact with them.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
A possible answer is Unions so that all the developing team has leverage to negoatiate better working conditions, like no crunch, and better cuts of revenue.

Or do you suggest just turning a blind eye to the situation just because others are worse, when the right thing to do is pushing for healthy working conditions in all places?
Whoa what? Way to turn it up to 11 for no reason at all.

I NEVER suggested that and I only wrote my comment to get an honest opinion on what could be done.

I was NOT trying to pick a fight or troll people, much get accusation thrown around.

I am out. ERA seems too wound up to even have a conversation sometimes and this is one of those.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Edited, this comment was too hostile. Fuck defending these practices, and fuck game informer.

Also you're allowed to reflect and doubt your purchasing decisions. We all buy phones made in unethical conditions, doesn't mean we have to blindly defend those conditions.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hey man, fair enough! On the flip side, I've been so excited for this game since that first trailer, like, 8 years ago lol. Clearly the devs put a ridiculous amount of work into the game and I want to support the hard work. I don't think NOT buying the game will make any difference because lets be real, this game will sell a shit load the first week. What will change with crunch in game dev is talking more about it like we're doing here. I'm sure those studio heads are seeing this shit blow up.
I totally understand you. I got excited by that very trailer, and was extremely excited until these last three or four months. As I've said in my first post, I know that I won't make a difference by not buying the game, I know how insignificant my individual action is, but I'm a member of the working class and, being pro-labor, it's impossible for me to buy a product of employee abuse and feel good about it. That said, I don't blame anyone for buying this game, regardless of their reasons for doing so. Different people like different things for different reasons, and as long as you're not supporting someone who spreads hate, you're fine in my book.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is a pretty common practice in all fields of software development. It typically goes like this;

• Management promises something without consulting engineers
    • or
  • Management do consult engineers, but pressure engineers into give them a unrealistic deadline
  • Engineers work their asses off
  • Engineers gets blamed when said deadline is not met or the product quality is terrible
  • QA is consider not important, because deadline is closing in
  • Product is a success (or sometimes a failure, bonuses are still paid out even though the product lost millions of dollars)
  • Upper management gets 6 figure bonuses
  • Engineers gets a bottle of wine and a pat on their shoulders for working 16-18 hour days for months (yep this has happened to me)
Yeah, this is the unfortunate truth of much of the industry (and among many other industries).

BarnabyJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally understand you. I got excited by that very trailer, and was extremely excited until these last three or four months. As I've said in my first post, I know that I won't make a difference by not buying the game, I know how insignificant my individual action is, but I'm a member of the working class and, being pro-labor, it's impossible for me to buy a product of employee abuse and feel good about it. That said, I don't blame anyone for buying this game, regardless of their reasons for doing so. Different people like different things for different reasons, and as long as you're not supporting someone who spreads hate, you're fine in my book.

Totally respect your decision too my friend. Plenty of other great games coming out the same month it's insane.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't color CDPR management as incompetent but malevolent.
They will keep on doing this until the media picks up on this and stops putting their games on a pedestal.
i definitely won't buy their game.

Duck-Zilla

Feb 21, 2018
I hope some reputable media outlets will start reaching out to CDPR heads up asking them wtf is going on there. Media needs to talk about it and report it. I feel that's the only way they'll change.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nope, I just don't see many people standing by their word in all honesty. Do you try to pick fights with everyone in these types of threads?

It's more important for you to call people out for not following through on their word than calling out CDPR. Even though we have little evidence of the former since the game isn't out yet.

May 9, 2018
You're the first person I've heard claim there's more supply than demand for programmers. Do you work in the industry?
In the US atleast (dunno about EU/Poland), there's definitely more supply than demand for programmers. Which is why companies now have ridiculous job requirements and interview processes to filter out to only qualified programmers (another reason why "just getting another programming job" is not a good counterargument to crunch).

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Don't forget that Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in January 2013, so the notion that the studio spent a long time in pre-development is not far-fetched at all. That being said, they were also working on The Witcher 3 at the time. Which makes announcing the game so early pointless. This is just to add context to what is being shared in the OP.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
So... Anyone expecting the GI folks to apologize, retract their statements, get rid of their free stuff? I personally don't think they will every do, because despite my positive nature (hah!), I am pretty cynical about that ever happening. They doubled down before, I can see them do it again tbh. Still, must feel bad, huh?

That said, I am now completely soured on the game. The way people were treated at the studio is terrible, and they've been doing it for peanuts. Management is going to walk away with fat bonuses, and the devs who worked insane hours a day get what, 500 Euros? It's not normal and stuff like that must change.

Also, how can you come here and actually try to deflect or defend practices like this? Are you that invested in a luxury item that you're willing to forego basic human decency? It's sick.

I'm not unfamiliar with overtime myself, but at least I got compensated fairly, and treated right. That's the power of being part of a union.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
People getting assigned 85 hours work a week!!!!

Would love to be in their sprint planning meetings and story point sizing!!! GTFO with that shit

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I did choose my words deliberately in that I said pre-production? There was defo some work done on the game prior to 2016.

This is how they put it on Reddit.

Q: How long was the game actually in development? You mentioned that CDPR spent a lot of time dicking around in pre-production.

A: The game was in development for far more than the ~2 years of production, it's tricky to say when it officially started as resources were moved often between projects, but you can take as a reference the release of BaW

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some pre-production between original teaser and B&W shipping, but even then we are talking 4 years with re-reveal in 2018. Pre-production must have bled good ways towards that 2018 re-reveal, it was speculated to be very proof of concept slice.

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget that Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in January 2013, so the notion that the studio spent a long time in pre-development is not far-fetched at all. That being said, they were also working on The Witcher 3 at the time. Which makes announcing the game so early pointless. This is just to add context to what is being shared in the OP.

Yep, even with Witcher 3 in mind it's a flimsy excuse in this case. This shit is indefensible and it's only the latest in a series of disgusting fuck ups out of CDPR.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the thread where people with phones made with Coltan that underage kids in Congo extracted while being obligated to do so by warlords say they are going to boycott a game that has involved crunch?
mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
No, my argument is that if one is going to boycott this game, they should boycott other brands too, and I'm pretty sure most people willing to boycott this game do not boycott other brands. If you do, like someone has said in the previous page, then that's actually great.
i am not boycotting the game but i won't get it at release as these stories are a major turn off to spend on a product.
That said i do "boycott" other brands; specially if i have an alternative. As examples:

I don't usually pick any electronics with internal batteries -> less harm on the environment; i can use my own bateries.

Only change electronics when they either stop working or they can't do their function -> For example i have a gtx 1070 and won't upgrade until it either breaks down or can't run at all my games. My phone for example won't be upgraded unless it stop working as I only use it for calls/messages

If there is green/greener brand i'll try to pick if i can afford it. For example I drink coffee from capsule, so i pick nespresso which allows me to recycle the capsules.

I decreased my meat consumption and have increased the consumption of local products.

I'm just sad that most people here just ignore the wellfare of the evironment and their society easily. Just take a look at how many prefer internal batteries and don't give a fuck about BC. it is all about the shiny new thing.

Perspective from another game developer on the CDPR bonus relative to EA

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Thought this was worth putting it to show comparisons for the bonus that was touted - it's the equivalent of what this dev got normally every year at EA if they hit their targets, not just at a game release

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
"anyone can claim they're a cdpr dev!"
"lol I'm not trusting Jason's word on this he obv has an agenda!"
"jim sterling does too!"

Disappointing to still see a defense force for this crap. But I guess the paid influencers and the folks at Game Informer don't care much about it.