• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2018
Except video games are meant as interactive media, and with that in mind immersion is achieved better trough a first person view. Third person action, framing, etc are movie techniques, they work fine to set a story and structure a movie to deliver a story but they are not the one true way to tell a story in a video game just like first person is not the ultimate way to tell a story. In cyberpunk we have both, third person to establish setting and character and do some of the framing of your character, and first person for the moment to moment action in order to deliver immersion. Its both worlds combined, so why are we upset again?

Thanks. Perfect!

You describe the scene in V's apartment perfectly with regards to them setting the setting and character in TPP which then engages into FPP via our interaction/input.

So what exactly are people referring to when they say there will be less TPP?

I'm pretty sure the game will follow this 'pattern' throughout.

I also noticed what appears to happen when driving a vehicle which is in TPP that then engages FPP when either something is gonna happen (the van chase) and/or a mission is about to be started or approached (1st gameplay when planting virus for spiderbot). This is so immersive and is setting the order of play that is about to occur, perfectly.

I've no idea if they implement something else if you're already driving in FPP but would assume the auto mechanism will just blend in.

Either way, as long as the TPP pattern of play continues like in V's apartment, this will be the perfect amount if TPP I'll need along with menu and mirror/reflective options throughout the world. In fact it is perfect for a fuller immersion.

Jeez what gets me is not enough people are praising the fantastic work (animations, acting, graphics, camera work etc.), especially the animation in the cut scenes that even have some interactive elements all whilst in an excellent FPP immersive feel. I mean, compare this to FO4 for example. Night and Day! More impressive than RDR2 if I remember correctly (I'm old) lol. Its a generation ahead for FPP RPG.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil is a great example of how perspective radically changes the gameplay, and even tonality. From RE1, to RE4, to RE7. They play very differently, and have different subsets of fans. If you're talking RTS, I've never seen a first person version of that even attempted.
C&C renegade, Enemy Territory: Quake wars, Battlezone, Natural selection 2
But I am willing to argue most strategy games are from a first person view. you look trough the eyes of a commander looking down on the battlefield, making your moves, manipulating units on a war table

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
eez what gets me is not enough people are praising the fantastic work (animations, acting, graphics, camera work etc.), especially the animation in the cut scenes that even have some interactive elements all whilst in an excellent FPP immersive feel.
I'm not sure you've heard the news, but first person means that devs don't have to take into account these things:
-framing scenes
-a lot of production work, and creative labor
-quality performance capture
-story line to be more than a cumulative fetch quest

So you must be imagining things. This is just the devs putting the camera on a stick (ie character) and writing a radio drama.
caSa2Ph.gif

639kjd1.gif

qVwsxJR.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.