• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
They shouldn't be homogenous. But to my eye, Cyberpunk is meant to be this sprawling big budget RPG, with the intention to emotionally involve the player.
How do you know if that's the devs' intention? What if it's actually to immerse the players in a cyberpunk world with first person perspective and choices? Are they wrong to go for that direction?

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
This notion that first person cutscenes are a short-cut, much easier, a time saver, or whatever is the most talking-out-of-ass horseshit I have seen on this board and that is saying something.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I don't agree with this logical shortcut of "first person = more immersion". Some of the most immersive games I've played are 3rd person. Either way, you're still looking at a monitor. And sitting far from the screen, it is more natural to see the action through a camera floating behind your character than having a 75-90° field of view from within the character's head.

So I don't really understand CDPR's obsession about making everything in first person in the name of immersion.

first person is more immersive because you see the world through the character's eyes. It doesn't mean that third person games aren't immersive though.

Look at Bioshock for example. Experiencing Rapture from the eyes of the character played a huge part. I couldn't see what was sitting at the edge behind the door if I didn't go close. Splicers jumping in front of my eyes felt totally "real" . In third person it's just another mob imo.

Witcher 3 was immersive with it's breathtaking vistas,cities,towns etc. But fighting in combat moment to moment was like classic RPG combat,you couldn't feel the "breath" of the monsters you were fighting if you get what I'm saying.

Deus Ex is an excellent example of an immersive Cyberpunk game. You should play the games(if you haven't played them) and you'll get what I'm talking about

Oct 29, 2017
I think video games are trying to cheat a visual medium when they do this gimmicky first person thing. Games are not books. You can't insert an omnipotent narrator into it. So therefore you must grapple with the fact that you're framing action, and you have to create the aesthetic of the world without expository description etc.
Okay, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Time to shut this down.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
jJmiG2h.gif

Yeah, I am tappin' out. This just feels over with now. What's done is done. Game is what it is. Nothing of importance was threatened to be removed or actually removed in the end. Thought it was odd reactions to a game being what it is and I'll just leave it at that.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
How do you know if that's the devs' intention? What if it's actually to immerse the players in a cyberpunk world with first person perspective and choices? Are they wrong to go for that direction?
Even if that is their goal, they can only give the player so much agency in a narrative. They still should (ideally) take responsibility for characterizing the pov character. We should see the pov character thinking/emoting/responding to information, etc. Even though we are experiencing the story alongside the pov, they should still help us understand the world/plot events. Mass Effect did a pretty good job of realizing this (albeit not perfectly).

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with all the gameplay in first person (much prefer first person in shooter games) but I was hoping the dialogues and cutscenes would be third person optional.

Fallout 4 was able to let you choose whether to play the dialogue in first or third person even when playing the game in first person mode. This just feels like they don't want to animate your character during cut-scenes and dialogues.

Maybe the recent decision to let you choose which voice to use on either body was what spurred this decision? Maybe that would be too much work for the animators? I have no idea.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
As I said before, some people genuinely can't come to terms with the fact that this is a first person RPG. And this is the discourse we can expect as a result:
well fuck me then, where was the outrage at the beginning?

and a big fat LOL at people who think making first person cut-scenes is way easier than third person ones, they clearly have no clue what they are talking about. You still do all the animation work minus the face, you still animate the body. Its way hard to make a first person view believable and you don't have facial emotions to work with as a crutch for good emotional delivery. also All first person action is hand animated, while most third person characters can be motion captured. I have the idea people think its just some dude recording mouse look movements hahaha

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Is still don't like the thread title here.

This is indicating there will be, occasionally, scenes like back in 2018. I dont believe that was confirmed at all. On Twitter, that individual may have very well meant instances like the ripperdoc, where we see our body through tricks.

He never actually said "Third Person" in his post. He said you see your character. Big difference.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda blows my mind how upset people are over this.

I was always under the impression that Cyberpunk was going to be a first person game along the same lines as Deus Ex just with an open world. People are citing The Elder Scrolls like it's the model that Cyberpunk should be following but the third person gameplay in those games is garbage. As long as you can look at your character in the inventory screen I don't see what the issue is. I don't need to constantly see my character to reaffirm that they look the way I want. I mean, I get it. I look at my character in The Elder Scrolls all the time too but it's not a deal breaker in the slightest.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 was able to let you choose whether to play the dialogue in first or third person even when playing the game in first person mode. This just feels like they don't want to animate your character during cut-scenes and dialogues.
Fallout 4 dialogue is completely static. Two characters posed and facing each other. It has a very mechanical formula, that frankly, is kind of boring (not even getting into dearth of meaning in F4 conversations).

Have you seen the dialogue sequences in this game? Not wanting to animate definitely the wrong characterization.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
well fuck me then, where was the outrage at the beginning?

and a big fat LOL at people who think making first person cut-scenes is way easier than third person ones, they clearly have no clue what they are talking about. You still do all the animation work minus the face, you still animate the body. Its way hard to make a first person view believable and you don't have facial emotions to work with as a crutch for good emotional delivery. also All first person action is hand animated, while most third person characters can be motion captured. I have the idea people think its just some dude recording mouse look movements hahaha
It was there. People were also whining about the sun at the time, if I recall.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have you seen the dialogue sequences in this game? Not wanting to animate definitely the wrong characterization.

I've seen the dialogue sequences they have released...

Which were often in third person, which they are now saying aren't going to be common in the game.

So who knows whether I've seen anything representative of the final game or not.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I hope CDPR go on an info blackout soon because it seems like whatever they say angers people.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Why does Ferris Bueller break the fourth wall? We should just see the movie through his eye holes and hear his thoughts, right?
Except video games are meant as interactive media, and with that in mind immersion is achieved better trough a first person view. Third person action, framing, etc are movie techniques, they work fine to set a story and structure a movie to deliver a story but they are not the one true way to tell a story in a video game just like first person is not the ultimate way to tell a story. In cyberpunk we have both, third person to establish setting and character and do some of the framing of your character, and first person for the moment to moment action in order to deliver immersion. Its both worlds combined, so why are we upset again?

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Except video games are meant as interactive media, and with that in mind immersion is achieved better trough a first person view. Third person action, framing, etc are movie techniques, they work fine to set a story and structure a movie to deliver a story but they are not the one true way to tell a story in a video game just like first person is not the ultimate way to tell a story. In cyberpunk we have both, third person to establish setting and character and do some of the framing of your character, and first person for the moment to moment action in order to deliver immersion. Its both worlds combined, so why are we upset again?
First person perspective doesn't make anything more interactive. In fact it hinders interactivity considerably. There are a lot less game mechanics you can implement when you can't see what your character model is doing. Part of the reason the ps360 era was so awful. The absolute banality of its constant barrage FPS games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
First person perspective doesn't make anything more interactive. In fact it hinders interactivity considerably. There are a lot less game mechanics you can implement when you can't see what your character model is doing. Part of the reason the ps360 era was so awful. The absolute banality of its constant barrage FPS games.
Hey champ still waiting on that breakdown about first person cinematics in games.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
that is not what I am saying, I am saying for an interactive media first person offers more immersion since you are put into the head of the character making the decisions. not that first person is more interactive.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread seems stupid. Just wait until the game comes out to see how the first person focus hurts or helps the game.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
that is not what I am saying, I am saying for an interactive media first person offers more immersion since you are put into the head of the character making the decisions. not that first person is more interactive.
Being 'inside the head' doesn't mean you are making the decisions. Again you are actually making less decisions. You're moving a pointer around a screen, instead of using actual mechanics to manipulate animations etc. It does mean that you can't see any expression from the main character. This is extremely jarring and prevents the story from carrying any dramatic weight.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
you are trolling at this point because someone cannot be this uninformed about videogame development
Dutch angels lol. Try watching the lion king, by staring at a picture of an African plain while only listening to the audio.
?????????

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Trolling over a series of posts.
First person perspective doesn't make anything more interactive. In fact it hinders interactivity considerably. There are a lot less game mechanics you can implement when you can't see what your character model is doing.
Narrator's note, it's quite literally the exact opposite which is why the most notable immersive sim games are all in first person.

Sorry, not dialogue sequences, cut-scenes.
Show me the videos where the cutscenes were often in third person.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is it possible for me to somehow "find" the schedule of a certain leader of a gang, and go deal with them outside of a mission ? That would omit the quest line I assume ?

Do they have schedules? Do they move around? Can I ambush someone important in game on a highway dynamically and have it not be any side quest or main quest?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You seem to think that a cutscene is materially different from a film scene, when it isn't.
You seem to think the following are absent from first person cinematics.

a lot of production work, and creative labor.
quality performance capture
story line to be more than a cumulative fetch quest

Breakdown what goes into first person cinematics please.

It's why Heavy Rain is the greatest game of last generation
Someday gamers will realize that Undertale is NOTHING compared to the genius of Detroit Become Human.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Being 'inside the head' doesn't mean you are making the decisions. Again you are actually making less decisions. You're moving a pointer around a screen, instead of using actual mechanics to manipulate animations etc.
again you are flipping things around in order to fit your narrative.

First person view gives more immersion in interactive video games is not the same as me trying to say that first person view makes a game more interactive which is what you are trying to argue with:
"Being 'inside the head' doesn't mean you are making the decisions."
"First person perspective doesn't make anything more interactive. "

A first person view point is equally interactive with the environment and choices as a third person viewpoint. there is no difference.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
again you are flipping things around in order to fit your narrative.

First person view gives more immersion in interactive video games is not the same as me trying to say that first person view makes a game more interactive which is what you are trying to argue with:
"Being 'inside the head' doesn't mean you are making the decisions."
"First person perspective doesn't make anything more interactive. "

A first person view point is equally interactive with the environment and choices as a third person viewpoint. there is no difference.
If there is no difference why wouldn't you make a game like Devil May Cry in first person, or Doom in third person? Some mechanics can carry over to different perspectives, but the most meaningful ones depend on the perspective.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If there is no difference why wouldn't you make a game like Devil May Cry in first person, or Doom in third person? Some mechanics can carry over to different perspectives, but the most meaningful ones depend on the perspective.
You can, take resident evil for example with resident evil 7, you can still have the same gameplay but from a more immersive viewpoint, or Take strategy games for example, you can still do a first person strategy game and there are many examples that do this, some point of views are more obvious for some genres but none as far as I am aware are exclusive.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Fuck. I wanted the cutscenes to be the chance for me to see my awesome character. Otherwise what's the point? Maybe cut scenes are different than cinematics?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. I wanted the cutscenes to be the chance for me to see my awesome character. Otherwise what's the point? Maybe cut scenes are different than cinematics?
you will still have those, just the bulk of the minute to minute story telling is done trough first person view as shown in the first 48 minute reveal video

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
You can, take resident evil for example with resident evil 7, you can still have the same gameplay but from a more immersive viewpoint, or Take strategy games for example, you can still do a first person strategy game and there are many examples that do this, some point of views are more obvious for some genres but none as far as I am aware are exclusive.
Resident Evil is a great example of how perspective radically changes the gameplay, and even tonality. From RE1, to RE4, to RE7. They play very differently, and have different subsets of fans. If you're talking RTS, I've never seen a first person version of that even attempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.