• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
cb32907d66ff058aa31b0847b61d3868.jpg
I haven't really followed this thread so i'm not sure what incarnation of 3rd person cutscenes we do or don't have at this point but: Yes showing early gameplay has the potential of backfiring, though I feel that your game concept and planning having the possibility of completely cutting out a 3rd person perspective that's more than a graphics downgrade. That's how some people roleplay. "Look of the game" implies graphics. If this now includes a potential shift from mixed third/first person to only first I feel that's not very realistic gameplay being shown.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
think people have to understand that when developers show marketable material such as gameplay trailers regardless where it's shown, people are going to expect to see that in the game. Its not a far fetched idea, unless its otherwise specified in the trailer itself thats its not a representation of the gameplay itself.
mElMlLM.png

iTyo2LP.png

lR1aYLn.png

I haven't really followed this thread so i'm not sure what incarnation of 3rd person cutscenes we do or don't have at this point but: Yes showing early gameplay has the potential of backfiring, though I feel that your game concept and planning having the possibility of completely cutting out a 3rd person perspective that's more than a graphics downgrade. That's how some people roleplay. "Look of the game" implies graphics. If this now includes a potential shift from mixed third/first person to only first I feel that's not very realistic gameplay being shown.
There are literally less than two minutes of 3rd person cutscenes in the original demo. The demo is 48 minutes long and full of story moments. There was never an indication that a 3rd person perspective was planned outside of vehicles.

Oct 26, 2017
"Look" in my opinion means visual fidelity. Not gameplay in and of itself. Unless otherwise specified.

"Before we start, a small and important disclaimer, the gameplay you are about to see, is from a work in progress version of the game, EVERYTHING you see is potentially subject to change"

The first 50 seconds

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Moving goalposts.gif

It's almost like I'm not a fan of old-school PC RPGs and don't get any value out of my protagonist being a zoomed-out paper doll that never does anything, can't emote, and can't meaningfully interact with other characters.

It's almost like that's the exact same reason I don't like first-person-only games. I like to actually be able to give a shit about my protagonist, and the player character being a floating camera or a zoomed-out paper doll works against that.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
"Before we start, a small and important disclaimer, the gameplay you are about to see, is from a work in progress version of the game, everything you see is potentially subject to change"

The first 50 seconds

I mean sure you're "technically correct", I watched those videos the same as everyone else. Lot's of games make those disclaimers! But when a game is introduced as a Third/First person RPG with a major character creator letting you be whoever you want and see that reflected in game, then that changes, like sure you made that disclaimer, but that's also what got people excited in the first place...

Edit: Like when I see "Everything here is subject to change" i'm imagining UI, gunplay, mission design, graphics. Not like, the fundamental pitch of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean sure you're "technically correct", I watched those videos the same as everyone else. Lot's of games make those disclaimers! But when a game is introduced as a Third/First person RPG with a major character creator letting you be whoever you want and see that reflected in game, then that changes, like sure you made that disclaimer, but that's also what got people excited in the first place...

What did they change?
The demo has less than 3 minutes of TPP cutscenes, Marcin said: "occasionally 3rd person cutscenes are there", nothing has changed.
3 minutes out of 48 minutes are indeed occasionally 3rd person cutscenes

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean sure you're "technically correct", I watched those videos the same as everyone else. Lot's of games make those disclaimers! But when a game is introduced as a Third/First person RPG
This wasn't introduced as a third/first person RPG, it was always a first person RPG. Literally at the two minute mark of the first demo.

"CYBERPUNK 2077 IS A FIRST PERSON ROLEPLAYING GAME"

In a 48 minute demo these are all the 3rd person scenes.
WKnBOz2.gif

REkC0ya.gif

TrDhhb6.gif

Like, the "very occasional" line is incredibly accurate.

Last edited:

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Okay sorry, hadn't read the updates. Still had the thread open from yesterday. Yall can chill.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
"Before we start, a small and important disclaimer, the gameplay you are about to see, is from a work in progress version of the game, EVERYTHING you see is potentially subject to change"

The first 50 seconds

Come on man. That was last years trailer. This year they do a full blow out on how you can customize your character and how important that is and now you want to fallback on what was said then? Mmmmk. If that's your prerogative. They knew the expectations and how they were selling this game as an FPS with RPG elements, they know their demographic and they decided to pull the legs from out underneath us regardless. And to trivialize that point of contention is wholly unfair.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They knew the expectations and how they were selling this game as an FPS with RPG elements, they know their demographic and they decided to pull the legs from out underneath us regardless.
They were selling this game as a first person RPG with shooter elements. You can play this entire game non lethally or not with guns at all.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's almost like I'm not a fan of old-school PC RPGs and don't get any value out of my protagonist being a zoomed-out paper doll that never does anything, can't emote, and can't meaningfully interact with other characters.

It's almost like that's the exact same reason I don't like first-person-only games. I like to actually be able to give a shit about my protagonist, and the player character being a floating camera or a zoomed-out paper doll works against that.

I get that, sure. Different folks, different strokes, all that. But why are you so hung up on having a TPS option in this specific game? It's not like the market is starved on that account, there's probably more TPS games than any other type.

Oct 26, 2017
Come on man. That was last years trailer. This year they do a full blow out on how you can customize your character and how important that is and now you want to fallback on what was said then? Mmmmk. If that's your prerogative. They knew the expectations and how they were selling this game as an FPS with RPG elements, they know their demographic and they decided to pull the legs from out underneath us regardless. And to trivialize that point of contention is wholly unfair.

That was last year demo and guess what? This year demo has the same disclaimer, surprise!
wRVFKsk.png

Also, OFFICIAL CDPR PRESS RELEASE OF 2018 (this shit is for press and investors)

CD PROJEKT RED, creators of The Witcher and GWENT, are proud to present the first gameplay recording of their upcoming open world RPG — Cyberpunk 2077.

"What we're releasing today was recorded from a game deep in development." — says Adam Badowski, Cyberpunk 2077 Game Director and CD PROJEKT RED Head of Studio. "Since many of the assets and mechanics in the current version of Cyberpunk 2077 are most likely to be modified, we initially decided to show this gameplay only to media. Elements like gunplay (both in terms of visuals and how RPG stats influence it), netrunning, car physics, or the game's UI — everything's pretty much still in the playtest phase and we felt uneasy about publicly committing to any particular design. Animation glitches, work-in-progress character facial expressions, early versions of locations — all this made us hesitant to release what you're about to see."

"However, we are also well aware that many of you want to see what the media saw." — adds Badowski. "Although this is probably not the same game you'll see on your screen when we launch, we still decided to share this 48-minute video with you. This is how Cyberpunk 2077 looks today. Let us know what you think!"

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Both have their merits. Hopefully cyberpunk utilized strengths of both in the right moments. I like first person better

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I get that, sure. Different folks, different strokes, all that. But why are you so hung up on having a TPS option in this specific game? It's not like the market is starved on that account, there's probably more TPS games than any other type.

Because the last game this developer made is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and it's frustrating that not only am I not going to get another game like that out of them for likely a decade, but there is nothing to look forward to to take its place from any OTHER developers, either. It sucks to feel like you're being left behind by an entire genre.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Don't you dare take away my sure to be embarrassingly/hilariously awkward first-person perspective sex cutscenes away from me!!!

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This whole thread has many posts like yours.

People upset it's not third person game, even tho it was never introduced as one. People think it should be third person because Witcher was, or because a RPG needs to have a third person option or some shit. I'm pretty sure we had a (large) thread on this last year as well.

Some people are more chill about it saying it's not for them. Others make dumb posts saying it's disgusting, etc etc.

————

In the end, people need to not assume. It was introduced as a first person game. Gamers are not entitled to multiple view points just because it's a RPG. CDPR doesn't need to make it third person just because Witcher was third person. It doesn't work like that.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
If it's like the demo they showed a while back, with a handful of glimpses of our character, I'm okay with it. Either way, I'm super excited for the game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because the last game this developer made is one of my favorite RPGs of all time and it's frustrating that not only am I not going to get another game like that out of them for likely a decade, but there is nothing to look forward to to take its place from any OTHER developers, either. It sucks to feel like you're being left behind by an entire genre.
new from software game? Sucker punch game?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Like when I see "Everything here is subject to change" i'm imagining UI, gunplay, mission design, graphics. Not like, the fundamental pitch of the game.
I really have no clue what version of the original reveal you guys have watched. Honestly the ONLY 3rd person cutscene is with V in the elevator and then in her appartment when V gets out of bed, the rest is ALL from a first person perspective minus vehicle driving. From the whole 48 minutes the third person cutscene is 2.5 minutes long. The whole thing def wasnt sprinkled in with 3rd person cutscenes. It was clear from the beginning that first person cutscenes are the main format of story delivery. I def have no clue why we now have a 28 page thread with people up in arms about it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you dare take away my sure to be embarrassingly awkward first-person perspective sex cutscenes away from me!!!

While that's not really a very important part of the game for me, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pretty curious to know how they're gonna make first person sex scenes not look completely fucked...pardon the pun

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I really have no clue what version of the original reveal you guys have watched. Honestly the ONLY 3rd person cutscene is with V in the elevator and then in her appartment when V gets out of bed, the rest is ALL from a first person perspective minus vehicle driving. From the whole 48 minutes the third person cutscene is 2.5 minutes long. The whole thing def wasnt sprinkled in with 3rd person cutscenes. It was clear from the beginning that first person cutscenes are the main driving force.

My understanding at the time of posting was that that wouldn't be in the game. I expected the bulk of the game to be first person and you at home and in specific cutscenes would be third person.

Oct 25, 2017
People who haven't played first person shooters: the thread ?

It's kinda weird how people "need" to have this be in third person. I actually welcome this. I think it's distracting in deus ex, although you get used to it. Lots of great games have had first person everything. Including half life 2. Also, you'll be able to see your customization every time you perform an action and see any part of your characters body.

On an additional note, if the cut scenes now allow free look, it's certainly not easier for an animator, as he now has to take every single other character the player might see, into account.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I perfectly understand people being disappointed. My sympathy ends at the point where people start complaining about first-person being "forced" upon them, or questioning the developers' justification because specifically their desires aren't being catered to. I don't generally like the word "entitlement" being used in the context of gaming, I feel it's often not correctly applied; but for some the posts in this thread (not yours, to be clear), it's what immediately comes to mind.

Ok, makes sense.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
?

If you're looking for third person perspective Witcher 3-like experiences, you've got the Horizon and Assassin's Creed franchises (since Origins anyway). Between just those 2 series, there's like over 200 hours of quality content available right now that you can play, and they're making new installments in both of those franchises right now as well.

To act like there is nothing like the Witcher 3 available now and in the near future is just untrue.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
As much as i loved The Witcher, I doubt I'll go in for this. I find first-person view modes oddly off-putting and that goes doubly for RPG games: it's like having a book that reads in second person, it's feels off. Sure it will be great for those that do love this direction though.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Thread from last year on this very issue and text below from vestan

When CD Projekt Red formally unveiled the first look at Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay earlier this year, many were concerned whether the game would have an option to switch the perspective from first-person to third-person. CDPR confirmed later on that the game will be first-person only (aside from driving segments which will allow you to switch to third-person) and many were quick to voice their displeasure.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no clue what version of the original reveal you guys have watched. Honestly the ONLY 3rd person cutscene is with V in the elevator and then in her appartment when V gets out of bed, the rest is ALL from a first person perspective minus vehicle driving. From the whole 48 minutes the third person cutscene is 2.5 minutes long. The whole thing def wasnt sprinkled in with 3rd person cutscenes. It was clear from the beginning that first person cutscenes are the main format of story delivery. I def have no clue why we now have a 28 page thread with people up in arms about it.

Criticisms towards this game have been weird as hell since the start

Remember when people were going apeshit that the reveal showed sunny weather

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
?

If you're looking for third person perspective Witcher 3-like experiences, you've got the Horizon and Assassin's Creed franchises (since Origins anyway). Between just those 2 series, there's like over 200 hours of quality content available right now that you can play, and they're making new installments in both of those franchises right now as well.

To act like there is nothing like the Witcher 3 available now and in the near future is just untrue.

Neither of those franchises are anywhere remotely close to TW3 in terms of writing or quest design. Just because they're huge bloated open worlds doesn't mean they're worth my time. I finished Odyssey and I regret every minute I spent with that boring, glitchy pile of generic nothing.

And I couldn't even make it 10 hours into Horizon without getting bored. There's more to making a good game than just hyping up how big and/or pretty your overworld map is.

There's just nothing to look forward to moving forward if sequels to those games is all we're gonna get.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad there are still some 3rd person cutscenes. hopefully they consider adding more.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tbh I always thought it was a mistake for them to go first-person — especially so in a game where you create your own character but spend the majority of the game unable to see them lol!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Neither of those franchises are anywhere remotely close to TW3 in terms of writing or quest design. Just because they're huge bloated open worlds doesn't mean they're worth my time. I finished Odyssey and I regret every minute I spent with that boring, glitchy pile of generic nothing.

And I couldn't even make it 10 hours into Horizon without getting bored. There's more to making a good game than just hyping up how big and/or pretty your overworld map is.

There's just nothing to look forward to moving forward if sequels to those games is all we're gonna get.
Honestly I doubt even the witcher 4 would get you hyped tbh.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm glad there's still a few 3rd person cutscenes out there and that they've clarified things. This situation where a majority is 1st person and some things 3rd person is what I was expecting to start with. Don't mind 1st person games at all.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Tbh I always thought it was a mistake for them to go first-person — especially so in a game where you create your own character but spend the majority of the game unable to see them lol!
True. I'm sure they had a meeting in the pre-production phase about this and it's unfortunate that they chose 1st person instead of third person.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the Jackie death scene will be in third person. It would be super awkward if it was in first person.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
We only saw the occasional third person cutscene in the E3 demo. Nothing has changed then. Both parties leave satisfied. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.